Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: High Steaks in OKC

Tyler meets the teams in Oklahoma City, where he tests their time management skills, penalizing the team who takes the longest to get their day started. The teams must also embrace local favorites, adding a steak dish to their menu on the first day, and then grinding 20 pounds of prime meat by hand to sell the local classic "fried onion burger" on the second. And only four teams will be left to push through the midway point of this competition.

Anybody still watching?  

The teams seem pretty boring to me, I don't like or dislike anyone too much, and I don't care who wins. 

I did wonder though - do people really pay that much for food from food trucks?   There are no food trucks near me (chicago 'burbs), there are tons of fast food and fast-casual restaurants, all seem cheaper than these trucks.   The Middle Feast truck had a combo plate for $22.  Yikes! 

There's a Mediterranean place - ROTI that opened up that has similar food, and I've eaten lunch there for $8.

I guess, for me, I would expect food truck food to be cheap because the costs are less than operating a restaurant.  And i trust an estabished restaurant more with cleanliness and attention to hygiene and food preparation.  I could be wrong, as I said, there are no food trucks wnywhere I've been. 

• Love 2

This episode had the return of stuff I don't like about the show: arbitrary cutoffs for when people are allowed to sell and menu restrictions. Especially the menu restrictions. I don't really care if the Middle Eastern Food truck can sell more onion burgers than the Mexican Food truck. I care which can sell more of the food they're supposed to be good at making.

• Love 9

Anybody still watching?  

The teams seem pretty boring to me, I don't like or dislike anyone too much, and I don't care who wins. 

Yes, I'm finding this season pretty boring too. Tyler said something about it being food truck training (or something like that) & I think that's part of the problem. I don't want to watch a bunch of food truck newbies getting "training" in how to run a food truck, I want to see experienced people sell.

The thing that's missing for me is people running over light poles now and then, because that would be a welcome relief from the boredom of this season, for me. If this show comes back next year, they need professionals who have worked in a food truck before. I'm not interested in watching people going to on-the-road cooking school. Especially since the situations Tyler puts them in are not that realistic. Food trucks that I have seen make arrangements days in advance to be at a particular spot so they can advertise. They set up, sell food for several hours then call it a day and move on to the next location. Or, some of them have a spot they stay in all the time. In a small town up the road there is an airstream trailer that sells the best Cuban sandwiches with chips and a drink. For $5.

• Love 2

I agree with all of the above comments.  I wasn't surprised Madre's went home.  It seemed like the mom and sister only did the show for the son/brother and so their hearts never seemed into it.  And, I agreed with his frustration that they had people follow the truck in order to get Mexican food, not onion burgers.  I didn't like the 'twist' last week of having to cook and sell someone else's food, and I didn't like the onion burger angle-it's not like it's a current food fad in Oklahoma-it was a necessity during the Depression.  If it had been a current food fad I think everyone would have done better.

Also, I really don't get the $25 combo plate.  Yes, I'm glad the idea worked for them, but if I'm paying $25 for an entree, it will be in a nice restaurant where I can-oh I don't know-sit and comfortably enjoy the pricey meal.  And, maybe with a glass of wine or a cocktail (oh, who am I trying to kid?  A bottle of wine or several cocktails-whew, it feels good to be honest....).  I just can't see trying to sit on a curb with a paper plate and plastic utensils.  Having said that, maybe people paid that much in the hope of being on t.v.?  T.V. seems to have magical powers of getting people to do crazy things...

I know that I commented on this in an earlier episode thread, but wow am I tired of Gretta's constant THs.  Is everyone else too boring for the producers?  The one woman from Texas seemed close to a breakdown.  The MiddleFeast team is really growing on me-but I would like to hear the other guy speak more.  So, I'm rooting for MiddleFeast and Let There Be Bacon.

• Love 5

I think they were all charging $10 for an onion burger and fries!  

I'm always surprised at how high the food trucks price their dishes on this show.  I don't think I would ever pay their prices for food truck entries.  The only times I've bought from a food truck, the prices were reasonable to competitive, and the food was better than fast food.  For example, during the summer, some food trucks would sell fresh mixed fruit (cut up pieces) for $3 to $5 for a decent one-serving size.  And you can definitely get a decent burger and fries combo for under $10.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So many thoughts. I'm not surprised they picked Oklahoma City to visit as food trucks are huge here. The largest food truck festival, H & 8th, is in OKC on the last Friday of each month from March or April until October. Just a few months ago there were over 40 trucks and some were from other states. Glad OKC looked nice though.

I'm not a native Oklahoman but I am not too surprised the Texas folks struggled a bit. Seriously. Trying to get Oklahomans to buy food from you as you are all decked out in Texas flags? Not a wise decision.

Of the five trucks, I only visited two (with my dog in tow). I didn't visit the chuckwagon because I find barbecue food disgusting. I didn't visit the Madres because you can get great Mexican and Tex-Mex food here in OKC for reasonable prices and insane serving sizes. Also, I had just ate Mexican food a few days before. I also didn't visit the Middle Feast because I honestly just wasn't intrigued enough to try a completely new food for that price.

I visited Let There Be Bacon first. We arrived shortly before Tyler shut the trucks down. It was interesting to see the backside of production up close. When the truck was shut down by Tyler they weren't even allowed to be in the truck and had to have it completely closed. The guys were nice and interacted with the crowd a little bit but not a ton. When they finally opened again I order the mothertrucker burger. I had toyed with the thought of getting the pancakes but decided not to. I had my dog with me and I had promised him bacon. He did not appreciate having to wait so long for the bacon...especially since he could smell the bacon. They were pretty quick to get the food out. It was an interesting sandwich. There was bacon cheese sauce on it and some sort of slaw. It wasn't bad but nothing to rave about. My dog liked the little bits I gave him. They were parked outside of Bricktown Brewery ... a GREAT place and I would have rather bought a cheeseburger from them than from the truck.

Bricktown was insane that day because so many of the schools had graduation down at the Chesapeake Arena. After eating at Let There Be Bacon my dog and I hightailed it out of Bricktown and went north to Beach Cruisers. I was far too intrigued by the frosted avocado fries. They were on Northwest Expressway close to I-44 at a grocery store. There was a pet adoption event going on in the parking lot and they had partnered with one of the popular local foodtrucks, Taste of Soul Chicken and Waffles.

The line was crazy long. I chose the steak taco (had to share with my dog) and the avocado fries. The taco was really good and my dog was not pleased I wouldn't share more of it. I was hesitatant but intrigued by the avocado fries. They kind of sound nasty but they were delicious. They made crumbs from Frosted Flakes cereal and lightly breaded (you could still see lots of avocado) the avocado slices. I'm assuming but have no idea, they flash fried them. The avocado slices were warm but not mushy or anything. They had a spicy sauce lightly drizzled on them and some fried kale. If the line hadn't been so long I would have jumped back in line for a second serving. Greta kept coming out of the truck and talking with everyone. Her personality was quite bubbly and was very nice. And yes, they still had the baby pool out.

Finally figured out how to upload some pictures. My food from Beach Cruisers. And their menu board.

Edited by Misschievious
  • Love 8

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experiences with the food. I had to laugh at the menu board being done on a cardboard box. I'd think they'd buy one of those dry erase boards so they didn't have to flatten out a new cardboard box every time they changed locations and had Tyler throw them a twist.

And I'm glad to know the fried avocado was good. The ones I love come with a dipping sauce that is out of this world.

• Love 1

Although I feel sorry for Madres to leave, I'm kinda happy since they won't be forced to wear that crazy clothes. Nice peasant top & skirt. Big old Mexican flag print chef jacket. Nice going Production. You missed the sombrero and poncho.

Onion burger just sounds horrible and they had to sell 50 of them?

• Love 1

Thanks Misschievious for the eyewitness report! You have a very lucky dawg, too!

The Mexican food truck seemed doomed from the start; in Texas there are fabulous roadside and gas station tacos on every corner, and damned cheap too.

That avocado thing sounds just weird enough to be good, am now on a mission to find them in the Dallas area!

• Love 1

These trucks top shenanigans annoy me. If I'm walking up to a Mexican food truck, it ain't because I want a burger. That's just dumb. And to sell 50 of them? What does that have to do with anything?

Put them all in a parking lot, selling their food and let the best truck win.

• Love 4

Finally figured out how to upload some pictures. My food from Beach Cruisers. And their menu board.

Well that's a failure by the producers. The food on Beach Cruisers board looks a lot more interesting than what we have seen on the show. And it seems more reasonably priced than the expectations left for the viewers after hearing about twenty five dollar plates.

(Thanks for the report. And I'm glad your dog eventually got some bacon!)

Put them all in a parking lot, selling their food and let the best truck win.

This.

I believe when this show first started, that's sort of what they did. They all had to go to the same location and duke it out. The speed bumps were things like giving them only 30 more minutes to sell, or they had to only sell one of their items.

I wish these shows would stop taking themselves so seriously. :)

• Love 1

Ha! Whoops! I am owned by Rocky, a long-hair chihuahua. Here he is in the car (which he loves) between food trucks. He was not happy at all. :)

A girl's gotta have her priorities, eh!  I just made some embarrassing noises looking at your Rocky pic - my cat Babalu came running at the giggle & coo, because he knows that's my tickle noise.  :-)  Again, thanks for sharing!

They should have at least let them add their twist to the onion burger - Madres could put salsa on it, Beaches could put avocado, etc....

I think they were all charging $10 for an onion burger and fries!  

I'm always surprised at how high the food trucks price their dishes on this show.  I don't think I would ever pay their prices for food truck entries.  The only times I've bought from a food truck, the prices were reasonable to competitive, and the food was better than fast food.  For example, during the summer, some food trucks would sell fresh mixed fruit (cut up pieces) for $3 to $5 for a decent one-serving size.  And you can definitely get a decent burger and fries combo for under $10.

They were required to sell the onion burger and fries for $10 a plate.

My theory is that they charge high prices on this show because people will pay them, if it means there is a chance they will be on tv or can at least tell their friends they ate the tv show food trucks.  I bet any of these contestants that go on to have their own food truck are in for a surprise if they try to sell their items for the same price they charges on the show. 

Actually, I was surprised that the avocado fries were only $2.  I live in a state where avocados are grown and they are usually $1.50 each at the grocery store (if not on sale).  I wonder how many orders they can make from one avocado? 

• Love 2

The Middle Feast truck had a combo plate for $22.  Yikes! 

I didn't catch that, but I did hear the guy from the Texas food truck saying they were charging $22 for their steak roll. And I'm calling shenanigans, because I just don't believe people are paying those prices at a food truck, unless they're being subsidized by the producers. True, food trucks are not just about tacos and burgers anymore, but even at more upscale food trucks the top price for any one item is usually $13 or $14.

Spending $22 at a food truck (plus more if you add a drink or side) is crazy, In large part trucks thrive because people are happy to pay less for quality food and forego the amenities. In past seasons we saw teams attempting the keep prices down as a way to attract more customers. This season it seems the strategy is the pricier the better, which would be a first in the food truck business.

Well, the promo for next week says it's going to be about the food, and it's about time. The food has been pretty much an after thought all year, as we've seen nothing even slightly innovative. Three trucks doing Mexican/Tex-Mex. Another doing school cafeteria greatest hits. And bacon, bacon, and more bacon. Yawn.

• Love 2

Not the show to pick On Demand when you're trying NOT to fall asleep.

The truck stops/speed bumps are OTT stupid and show nothing about a team's ability to successfully run a food truck or their food.

Don't know if it's editing, but Beach Cruisers team is coming across super douchey to me, especially with their TH last night dissing the Mexican food truck as sooooo much simpler than their own precious cuisine. So, the Madras truck "just slaps refried beans and chicken on a tortilla?" And what do you do, honey? Oh, right. You put fish and lettuce and a sauce on a taco. Here's a hundred story ladder; hope that'll suffice for you to get over yourself.

Tyler needs a new gig. 

• Love 3
Seeing that FN is going to air a second food truck competition show, someone must be.

So on the commercial for "Food Truck Face Off" that aired during tonight's episode, they say that show will be giving away a food truck every episode.  Doesn't that render "Great Food Truck Race" moot?  Who wants to compete week after week after week to get a food truck, when you can go on the other show and win one in a week?  Does that show replace GFTR? 'cause if not, I totally don't understand why FN would have both shows.

• Love 1

I thought that "reward the first truck to open" was BS. It would be much better to make sure that you have prepared properly and can run smoothly when you open, rather than open prematurely.

Tyler said "time is money" - but that doesn't mean that opening ASAP with minimal preparation is the best use of time. Spending an extra 10-15 minutes doing prep could save a lot more time later on.

I think this was well illustrated by the Madres, who had the same problem with the meat grinding. Instead of thinking about how to grind the meat properly and efficiently, they just rushed ahead and shoved massive hunks of meat into that poor little grinder.

• Love 1

The truck stops/speed bumps are OTT stupid and show nothing about a team's ability to successfully run a food truck or their food.

Are you saying that in real life food trucks don't switch with other food trucks or stop selling what their truck is named for and sell fried onion burgers instead? Wow, next thing you know, you will be trying to convince me that when a food truck needs more supplies they just send one person out to buy it instead of closing up the truck and having everyone go shopping together. 

I thought that "reward the first truck to open" was BS. It would be much better to make sure that you have prepared properly and can run smoothly when you open, rather than open prematurely.

In all fairness, they didn't tell anyone that they would be rewarded if they were the first truck open, so no opened prematurely.  However, it still wasn't a fair contest because different menus require different amounts of preparation.  The Military Moms would have won this contest easily - how long does it take to open a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of store-bought bread?

• Love 3

In all fairness, they didn't tell anyone that they would be rewarded if they were the first truck open, so no opened prematurely.

That just makes it even worse. If they had've known, they could have just opened quickly, without bothering to do the right thing and be thorough about preparation.

The whole "we're judging them on a stupid parameter that none of them know about" thing is just dumb.

• Love 1

So on the commercial for "Food Truck Face Off" that aired during tonight's episode, they say that show will be giving away a food truck every episode.  Doesn't that render "Great Food Truck Race" moot?  Who wants to compete week after week after week to get a food truck, when you can go on the other show and win one in a week?  Does that show replace GFTR? 'cause if not, I totally don't understand why FN would have both shows.

Completely agree.  This other one sounds like the food court show Tyler did a few times.  Was that on again?  Missed it, it so.  It wasn't that great, either.  Time for the new season of network shows to start!  We are scraping the bottom of the summertime barrel here.  

• Love 1

Anybody still watching?  

I did wonder though - do people really pay that much for food from food trucks?   There are no food trucks near me (chicago 'burbs), there are tons of fast food and fast-casual restaurants, all seem cheaper than these trucks.   The Middle Feast truck had a combo plate for $22.  Yikes! 

There's a Mediterranean place - ROTI that opened up that has similar food, and I've eaten lunch there for $8.

I guess, for me, I would expect food truck food to be cheap because the costs are less than operating a restaurant.  And i trust an estabished restaurant more with cleanliness and attention to hygiene and food preparation.  I could be wrong, as I said, there are no food trucks wnywhere I've been. 

Prices vary with food trucks depending on the fee the city charges for them to set up.  Here in FL, where I live, they are reasonably priced.  In Phoenix they are much more pricey, they set up in Scottsdale on Saturdays and the rent is higher there.  

This show is putting me to sleep.  I use FF liberally.  Just let them cook the food they know and see how the do.  It would be a learning experience for them and interesting to watch.  If they are consistently in the bottom then they know what they serve is not working and they would have to change some things.  

Edited by wings707