Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E19: Finish What You Started

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Firehouse 51 tackles a fire caused by a dropped jet engine, and one of their own is accused of a theft related to the incident. Kidd and Boden disapprove of Kylie's potential new love interest.

Airdate: 04/20/2022

They should rename this crap-fest to "Chicago EMT" since the entire show revolves around Violet & Hawkins with a bit of the newbie EMT thrown in.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I thought that Severide should have told the FAA the truth, except for the kid's name.  He could have said, "look, we did your investigation for you, and found the piece of wreckage.  We did not take it, but we won't tell you the student that did."  And then he doesn't get a tongue lashing from the FAA guy for not looking for the thing when first asked (except that they did) and the FAA guy gets to realize that he didn't do his job by interviewing the students.  I thought his explanation was dumb, too; it didn't really look that much like a halligan.  A kid from a distance could confuse them, sure, but no one on Squad was going to pick that up accidentally.  In his lie to the FAA, he basically called his guys stupid.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with this episode, but I didn't hate it.  I'm glad that Kylie smirked off Stella's "motherly advice."  Kylie is probably my favorite female character at this point, unless Sergeant Platt makes a cameo.

• Love 8

Can't believe they went in so heavy handed to the high school.  Approach should have been, 'we know its easy to get caught up in the excitement, but if you turn in the piece now you won't get into any trouble'.   High school kids are impulsive, they should have given them the chance to fix it before threatening jail.  Even the kid who took it was scared to turn it in because of repurcussions.

And yeah, I'm tired already of the gaslighting emt story.  Can't people get weeded out for pysch issues ahead of time?

• Love 8

Hey, new guy! You're not supposed to be the hero of the story! That's Stella's job! And am I to believe that none of the much more experienced rescue squad guys thought up that very obvious plan themselves? That it was such an ingenious and novel idea they wanted him to go to the academy and teach it to the students? Oh brother.

I thought that Severide should have told the FAA the truth, except for the kid's name.

Can't believe they went in so heavy handed to the high school.  Approach should have been, 'we know its easy to get caught up in the excitement, but if you turn in the piece now you won't get into any trouble'.

Agreed. This felt very contrived. I'm sure the kid didn't know it was against the law to take that thing. I wouldn't have. Plus he's a minor. How much trouble would he really have been in? Would he really have gotten rejected from his college admission?

Didn't the FAA guy insist he had a witness who saw one of Severide's guys carrying the strut away with them? What did he actually see then if it was really that kid who took it? Or was the FAA guy bluffing?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't the FAA guy insist he had a witness who saw one of Severide's guys carrying the strut away with them? What did he actually see then if it was really that kid who took it? Or was the FAA guy bluffing?

Boden said that he assumed that someone saw Severide or a Squad guy carrying a real halligan away from the scene.  That makes sense to me; the witness could be real but didn't really know what they saw.

At the end, they showed a halligan and the strut, said they were similar and that one of the fire fighters walked off with it accidentally. 
I was also annoyed by this explanation but it would be really easy to find that “tik tok” video if they had said it was a student. Severide gave a reasonable explanation that did not require additional investigation, which the FAA would have done otherwise. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jabRI said:

High school kids are impulsive, they should have given them the chance to fix it before threatening jail.  Even the kid who took it was scared to turn it in because of repurcussions.

Considering Fed employees love to throw their weight around [speaking from personal experience], this would not surprise me.  Would it damage his college admissions?  Likely not, but you know how kids are about getting into their dream school and if they don't their lives are automatically ruined!

The Feds were just unnecessary assholes. I mean, it happened at a school. MOST LIKELY, some kid picked it up as a souvenir. Just hold an assembly, explain to the kids that it's very important to get all the parts of the plane to figure out what went wrong - so important that it's against the law to take parts as souvenirs. So if they "come across" anything like THIS <show picture of part> please help us out by turning it in immediately. I mean, they just want to recover it, not scare people into destroying or hiding it to avoid punishment for a mistake. (Because I guarantee you, 999 out of 1000 people would not know it's a CRIME to take a piece of shrapnel.)

• Love 10

Guy rides his little Razr scooter off stairs, takes a tumble, suffers a serious wrist/arm fracture.  What do the medics do? Put his arm in a sling and walk him back to the ambo for immediate transport?  No, of course not.  They decide to set the fracture in the field.  I don't know about CFD's scope of practice policies, but as far as I know that's way, way out of bounds for medics.  There's so much that could go wrong, and they would get one helluva tongue lashing from Chicago Med.  If the guy did lose any function, that's a huge liability suit to boot.  And, in addition, they spend extra minutes talking to the girl with shrapnel in her neck on the carotid artery  when she should have been transported immediately.  Sheesh.

The entire time that Boden spent issuing orders upon arrival at scene, I missed one thing.  Put some water on the fire, maybe?  It might make rescue a whole lot easier.

Easy fix for the Academy.  "All cell phones are to be left in your car or in your room.  Anyone seen using a cell phone during class will get one warning and a write up.  The next time will result in dismissal."

• Love 3

If a trained firefighter couldn’t tell the difference between a halligan and that strut, I think someone shouldn’t be a firefighter anymore.  Why would Severide even offer up that stupid excuse?  Why not just say they got it from one of the students who didn’t know it was illegal to take it?

• Love 2

Until I saw the part where Violet stood near her closed locker door, I hadn't realized her last name was Mikami. Did anyone ever call her that? Kinda weird, considering all the other EMTs were called by surname but she's always just Violet.

Also, we learn here that after the weeks of already being away, Brett is still going to be gone another month. How much vacation time does this girl have?! 

• Love 1
On 5/3/2022 at 6:18 AM, KeithJ said:

If a trained firefighter couldn’t tell the difference between a halligan and that strut, I think someone shouldn’t be a firefighter anymore. 

That's exactly what I thought. I wouldn't trust a firefighter who couldn't tell the difference. I'm not a firefighter and they didn't look that similar to me.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:51 AM, SnarkySheep said:

Until I saw the part where Violet stood near her closed locker door, I hadn't realized her last name was Mikami. Did anyone ever call her that? Kinda weird, considering all the other EMTs were called by surname but she's always just Violet.

Also, we learn here that after the weeks of already being away, Brett is still going to be gone another month. How much vacation time does this girl have?! 

When she first appeared in a recurring role in Season 8, her last name was Lim. And then when she came back in Season 9, it was magically changed to Mikami The writers seem the take us viewers for idiots.

And Brett's time off is as unbelievable as it gets. There is no job that lets you take months off at a time. Especially a first responder job. Especially time off just because you miss your significant other. With the exception of maternity leave or an on-the-job injury, first responders can take, at most, a month off.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2022 at 11:17 PM, WinJet0819 said:

And Brett's time off is as unbelievable as it gets. There is no job that lets you take months off at a time. Especially a first responder job. Especially time off just because you miss your significant other. With the exception of maternity leave or an on-the-job injury, first responders can take, at most, a month off.

I am currently on a leave of absence from work, thanks to serious illness, so I can now personally vouch for the fact that getting approved for said leave took EFFORT!! Like, tons of paperwork, doctor's notes, approval from various bosses - and I had a super legit reason for wanting to use my sick and vacation time, literally having no other choice. It makes me laugh, imagining Brett going up to Boden all like, "Because I miss my boyfriend, that's why!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1