Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Impulse Control

• Start Topic

Owen and the 126 race to emergencies at a fast food drive-thru, a high school wrestling match and a case of road rage – all with one common element tying them together. Tommy’s estranged brother-in-law makes a surprise appearance in Austin. Marjan confronts Capt. Strand about his anger management issues.

Airdate: 04/18/2022

Hopefully Owen will get some help (I'm tired of him punching people out or losing his temper for whatever).  Boy, the whole humorous 'Hashtag Lard Ass' story turned dark in a hurry, didn't it? Although I did have to laugh a little at Owen's (very seriously) 'I've always thought that this job was about more than heroic saves and larding people up.' 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Well.

We got good non-Strand stories. AND Owen was confronted about his anger issues. 

Maybe the producers read these boards

And TK was hardly in the episode at all! Marjan got more lines (though still hardly any).

I did like the episode, though. 

• Love 3

This was both a decent episode and a stupid episode, and I don't know how they accomplished that.

We still got plenty of Owen, but it was him having to realize that he needs help. I guess it helps running into the same idiot three times in a couple of days and then watching him murder someone over road rage will get anyone to realize that they don't want to be like That Guy. But that guy's poor family, who tried to get him under control and had to watch him be dragged off to jail after killing someone? Brutal.

So, we're going for Nancy/Mateo, it seems? They had a nice scene, but I still feel like Mateo's too immature at times and I'm not really seeing a romantic connection with them. It feels like they're pairing them off simply because they don't need to waste screentime distributing it between the two of them when they can just throw them together and share the screentime. It feels lazy.

Tommy's stuff with Julius was rushed, AND it led to the most predictable and annoying trope I've seen. No, Lone Star. Nobody wants to see Tommy getting together with her dead husband's brother. No, it's not cute in any way. It's super annoying that they felt the need to have them kiss when they could have just had them make up naturally. I also was wishing that maybe, when he first rejected the drink, that he was going to admit that he couldn't go to the funeral because he was an alcoholic and needed to get sober before seeing Charles' family again. That's cliche too, but better than Tommy probably sleeping with Charles' brother in a few episodes.

Catherine, you're stupid. Yes, points to you for telling Owen he needs help before you even consider taking him back. Points docked for being SO HAPPY to see the man who berated you, called you names, and judged you despite having been dating for a couple of months. It shows that he doesn't trust you or know you, and you go almost crawling back to him? She should have been pissed, not thrilled to see him. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also was wishing that maybe, when he first rejected the drink, that he was going to admit that he couldn't go to the funeral because he was an alcoholic and needed to get sober before seeing Charles' family again. That's cliche too, but better than Tommy probably sleeping with Charles' brother in a few episodes.

I honestly thought this was going to the alcoholism trope as well. And then poof awkward kiss that made no sense since Tommy really seemed to despise the guy. 

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

atherine, you're stupid. Yes, points to you for telling Owen he needs help before you even consider taking him back. Points docked for being SO HAPPY to see the man who berated you, called you names, and judged you despite having been dating for a couple of months. It shows that he doesn't trust you or know you, and you go almost crawling back to him? She should have been pissed, not thrilled to see him. 

I'm going to throw her a bone - she genuinely liked Owen and was really hoping he'd gotten some help and really DID stand firm against him when she discovered he was the same old Owen. There's nothing wrong in having hope that a friend turned themselves around and she did exactly the right thing when she discovered he was still into the toxic behavior - she said no relationship until you fix yourself.

I liked the way the cases interacted with Angry Man and I was really genuinely shocked when he killed the burned guy - prior to that I was like "oh ok, isn't it great that he's turning this around and his family is so supportive" and then boom! 

• Love 8

Tommy's stuff with Julius was rushed, AND it led to the most predictable and annoying trope I've seen.

Ditto. First of all, Charles having a much hotter younger brother has never been mentioned before. That came out of nowhere and felt way too contrived. Then Tommy went from "I can't stand the sight of you" to kissing in sixty seconds after one heartfelt confession. My neck hurts from whiplash. This better not be going where I think it's going because it feels inorganic and out of the blue.

I thought it was a bit much to have the same guy involved in three separate incidents but it really took me by surprise when he took out a gun and shot that guy at the very end. So, kudos for the unexpected there. I guess. 

Points docked for being SO HAPPY to see the man who berated you, called you names, and judged you despite having been dating for a couple of months.

And this really didn't have anything to do with anger issues IMO. It was more about Owen's insecurities about his age. He'd already been called out by his co-workers for dating younger women. 

• Love 3

That certainly escalated quickly, kudos to the show I guess, I certainly did not see that ending coming. I was shocked when we realized the guy had grabbed the gun and then he shot the guy, its been awhile since this show really surprised me. The guys poor family, things seemed to be looking up for them and then just like that, their dad/husband is being hauled off to jail while they're still inured from a car accident. At least it inspired Owen to admit to having massive anger issues and getting help. The show has kind of a weird relationship with Owen's anger issues, its sometimes been shown to be cool, especially in the past, but lately its shown to be more destructive and like a real character flaw, not one of those character flaws that's more cute than a real problem. I am hoping that, after so many characters call him out on how unhealthy his tendencies towards violence are, that he really does work on this and the show lets it happen, I would give the show a lot of props if they stay the course here. 

For as much of a jerk as he was to her, I am surprised that Catherine even wanted to talk to Owen, let alone give him a second chance. At least she ended up leaving until he can figure his stuff out, although considering how quickly he lashes out even at her (even if its not violent) when he gets upset, I would be very wary of getting back together if I was her. 

Show, please, I am begging you, do not put Tommy together with her dead husbands never before mentioned foxy brother. I was fine with them reconciling, but I am so not interested in Tommy rebounding from Charles with his own brother, its just too weird. Think about how the girls would take it, it would just be so bizarre to have to explain that to them. It would be unimaginably weird and uncomfortable. Plus, Tommy seemed to really hate the guy, even beyond missing the funeral, I don't buy her having romantic feelings for him after one sob story.

Actually a pretty good episode, probably helped by not having too much in the way of personal drama, some of the supporting cast getting more lines, and mostly focusing on calls, with the exception of the creepy threat of a romance between Tommy and her brother in law. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, we're going for Nancy/Mateo, it seems? They had a nice scene, but I still feel like Mateo's too immature at times and I'm not really seeing a romantic connection with them.

I read this a little differently.  I think Mateo was the only one who got who truly traumatized she must be feeling, and the offer of a coffee was a friendly hand to show support, that she wasn't ready to just go home and decompress on her own.  A lot of first responders are there for each other, does not have to be any romantic intentions.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I'm going to throw her a bone - she genuinely liked Owen and was really hoping he'd gotten some help and really DID stand firm against him when she discovered he was the same old Owen. There's nothing wrong in having hope that a friend turned themselves around and she did exactly the right thing when she discovered he was still into the toxic behavior - she said no relationship until you fix yourself.

I think I wish Amy Acker chose a different direction with that scene. Instead of looking happy at seeing Owen, I wish she played it as more reluctance and uncertainty. I think I'm ok with Catherine being open to giving Owen a second chance. But seeing as this was the first time they spoke since the break-up, I wanted Amy to play that scene completely differently. Let Catherine be cautious going into the conversation, less happy, more curious about where the conversation will lead, rather than making it seem like she had forgiven Owen before he even apologized.

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was fine with them reconciling, but I am so not interested in Tommy rebounding from Charles with his own brother, its just too weird. Think about how the girls would take it, it would just be so bizarre to have to explain that to them. It would be unimaginably weird and uncomfortable.

They could convert to Judaism and insist on a Leveret marriage. If there is a single surviving brother, he is supposed to marry his brother's widow. This actually only comes into play if the deceased brother never had children; however, I'm sure the writers could find a way to validate it. They managed to use some "poetic license" in that regard with Gwyn's funeral. 

15 hours ago, Bulldog said:

If what they did to the guy stuck in the window was "gentle rocking," I'd hate to see what they would do if they really went at it. 

Why were they trying to pull him in the window, instead of pushing him back out? Wouldn't it have made more sense to send him back the way he came? 

• Love 9

I actually liked this episode.  Better balance of people.  We got some Marjan, we got some Mateo, we got some Nancy.  No real TK.  I mean, they still had Owen be the one to  single-handedly tackle Al to the ground and get the gun away, but baby steps. He was the senior person on the scene so that made some sense.  I loved his little speech to the team in the aftermath.  That is the Owen I like to see. 

Didn't expect the story with Anger Management Al to take such a heel turn in the third act but it worked.

The birthday party for Tommy's girls looked fun.  What a neat idea of a mani-pedi birthday party.  Also those are two new actresses who are playing Tommy's daughters.  They are better actresses than their younger earlier counterparts.

I am not down with Tommy and Julius.  Nope.  It would make more sense if they were very close and he was around a lot and they kinda eased into something.  But he just came out of the blue and she doesn't even seem to like him. There isn't enough Jack in the world that would convince me this was an earned relationship.

• Love 3

I am so not interested in Tommy rebounding from Charles with his own brother, its just too weird. Think about how the girls would take it,

I think the twins would be OK with it, they really seem to like him. But how are they even that close to their uncle if they hardly ever see him? They acted like he's there all the time. 

Also those are two new actresses who are playing Tommy's daughters.  They are better actresses than their younger earlier counterparts.

I didn't realize it was two new kids. I did, however, notice they seemed far less "creepy twins from The Shining" than usual. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't realize it was two new kids. I did, however, notice they seemed far less "creepy twins from The Shining" than usual. 

They also look less alike than the other set. I have identical twin girls that age so things like that jump out to me. We also did mani/pedis for their last birthday party. 

23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think the twins would be OK with it, they really seem to like him. But how are they even that close to their uncle if they hardly ever see him? They acted like he's there all the time. 

Tommy did invite him to move in, which I think was a really bad move. She should be sure she is aware of all his demons before she lets him live with her kids. He could decide her spare room was now his home base while disappearing for a few days at a time to broker drug deals.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

They aren't different kids according to imdb.com.

Imdb does identify them as different.

In Season 2- Xandi Crouch and Lexi Crouch are credited as playing the twins Isabella and Evie Vega.

Starting Season 3 - This episode and forward, Kelsey Yates and Skyler Yates are credited as playing the twins Isabella and Evie Vega.

I checked Imdb after the ep because they don't even really look like the other set of actresses.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Owen and the 126 race to emergencies at a fast food drive-thru, a high school wrestling match and a case of road rage – all with one common element tying them together. 

In each of these three instances, the Dad seemed pretty mellow until he quickly ramped up to wacko. IRL, wouldn't this indicate a brain anomaly? Like a tumor or something?

• Love 2

This episode was exciting and interesting... when Owen wasn't a part of it. The raging dad bit was probably the most interesting. Nice to see other cast members get some screen time, though it was still short.. And no T.K. and his recovery storyline. I don't know why they even tried to go down that path with Tommy and Julius. Just does not make sense, and Tommy doesn't appear to be in such a place where she would make that kind of rash decision. But it was just a kiss... for now. And please no Mateo and Nancy. Besides the dreaded inner-unit romance that these shows have done well to steer clear of, we're talking about the too characters that seem to get overlooked the most. There hasn't been a lot of character development with either of them. Especially, Nancy. Throwing them in a relationship together when we hardly know the characters just wouldn't make that much sense.

All this being said, I am getting bored to tears with Owen and his storylines. I couldn't care less about his anger issues and punching guys. But now his anger has to be a storyline for him, too. Ugh. I really do wish Rob Lowe would just get bored with the show and say he's moving on. His character leaving would take this vice grip off of the whole show, and open up storylines for everyone.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In each of these three instances, the Dad seemed pretty mellow until he quickly ramped up to wacko. IRL, wouldn't this indicate a brain anomaly? Like a tumor or something?

I honestly thought that was where it was headed, especially when the dad's vision kept blurring at one point. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That's what I thought, too. I thought he was really affable with the rude drive though window guy at first, and then BAM! He blinked and turned into another person. 

But the other incidents-- with the wrestling, especially, he was worked up right away and I totally saw that outburst coming.

• Love 2

The episode should have the subtitle: a very special episode where Owen learns a lesson about anger, and where Rob Lowe finally discovers he is not cute

Sadly, the last part is just my wish. The man must be really powerful. There is always another Lowe in the credits - son, brother - so he might have a lot of clout. To me, Rob Lowe only comes in to turn shows into "the Rob Lowe hour" and make the show a complete mess. He did the same with Code Black, a really interesting show for the one season that Lowe wasn't part of the cast. Then, it became Code Black - Rob Lowe Saves the Whole World All the Time.

Of course, this show here never had a chance to be anything but really, really bad.

• Love 2

I didn't really care for this episode.  The dad with major anger issues seemed a bit cartoonish.  I would have rather had another family involved with the drunk driver/shooting scene instead.  

I'm over the Owen centered storylines every week too.  I didn't like that Catherine seemed so giddy about getting back together with Owen.  Especially after he admitted that EVERYONE says he has an anger problem, but he thinks he doesn't.  

Nancy+Matteo = NO!  They have no chemistry. At. All.  I hope they just stay friends.  I don't want to watch another show with in house romances! (Looking at you Chicago Fire).  

I didn't like the kissing situation with Tommy and her fine looking BIL so I'm hoping that was a one and done.  I won't complain if he hangs around for a while though...he was nice to look at. :) 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

18 hours ago, possibilities said:

That's what I thought, too. I thought he was really affable with the rude drive though window guy at first, and then BAM! He blinked and turned into another person.
But the other incidents-- with the wrestling, especially, he was worked up right away and I totally saw that outburst coming.

Right. So I figured the whatchamacallit in his brain was getting worse (finally escalating to inducing him to commit murder).
If the dad had been on the OG 9-1-1, Hen would have probably performed some kind of a lobotomy in the field before he had a chance to shoot the guy.

• LOL 5
On 4/20/2022 at 7:38 PM, shapeshifter said:

After the wrestling attack, they showed his vision looking a little bit wonky, he almost seemed dizzy. And then the road rage, I mean I saw the driver waving a gun around and then they didn't find a gun, so I was thinking that maybe anger guy was having some kind of hallucination, picturing the bottle as a gun, so yeah, I immediately thought that maybe he had a tumor? I halfway expected him to collapse on the ground (not shoot the other guy). I wonder if it will even come back to that (if they revisit it).

• Love 3
23 hours ago, possibilities said:

To be fair though, that other guy was a total jerk (so was the kid in the drive-thru). I'm not saying that it justified anger dad attacking the wrestler, but would that other guy even be allowed to run his mouth off at a high school wrestling match? I was hoping the coach, referee or someone would tell him to get the hell out. IF anger dad had punched him, I would have cheered. It surprised me that he went after his son's opponent.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kenadi O said:

It surprised me that he went after his son's opponent.

His son's opponent did some kind of illegal (for the sport) move that injured the son (although, I would guess a sport like wrestling presupposes some risk of injury?). 

In all 3 incidents that triggered the father, he saw his family being attacked and saw himself as their defender. In the Lard incident, the attack was his wife's dignity. The sport incident was more physical. And, finally, the road rage guy had threatened (past tense, though) the lives of his entire family. 

Maybe there will be some follow-up with a mention of the guy getting time off for brain tumor or something?

Ooo!

• Maybe Owen has a brain tumor! I mean, he wasn't punchy before this plot arc, was he? 
  • Maybe Daddy Lard Rage and Owen will wake up in hospital beds in the same room having both had brain surgery. Seems like another day at the office for this show?
Edited by shapeshifter
On 4/22/2022 at 12:34 AM, shapeshifter said:

Ooo!

• Maybe Owen has a brain tumor! I mean, he wasn't punchy before this plot arc, was he? 
  • Maybe Daddy Lard Rage and Owen will wake up in hospital beds in the same room having both had brain surgery. Seems like another day at the office for this show?

Nah, Owen just has a personality defect. DLA (allow me to steal the nickname and abbreviate, LOL) was shown to be dizzy at times, and what looked like his vision being all wonky and that made me (and others) think "okay, brain tumor maybe?"

Sorry I snipped it out, but yeah you're right about the wrestler. But I was thinking more along the lines of the heckler (his dad I assume) being somewhat responsible, with the abusive heckling and egging him on to do whatever it took to win the match (even if it meant injuring his opponent). Hello, Mr. Kreese.

• Useful 1

I think it was reasonable to be annoyed or upset in all the cases where Anger Dad flared up, but it was the attacking and the murdering that to me was wildly out of bounds. If it's wrong for Owen to be punching people, it's certainly wrong for Anger Dad to be lunging at and shooting people. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/21/2022 at 11:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

Ooo!

Having his lung cancer metastasize to his brain would not be a far-fetched scenario.

On 4/21/2022 at 11:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

Maybe there will be some follow-up with a mention of the guy getting time off for brain tumor or something?

However, in view of this, I think if they had planned a continuation of the story line, it will get dropped:

https://people.com/tv/actor-tyler-sanders-dead-at-18/

Edited by eel21788