Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Backstabbers

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Airing April 10, 2022:

After the robbery of a train filled with valuable auction items turns deadly, the team is called to investigate. Meanwhile, Officer Chen has doubts about being Sergeant Bradford’s aid and is upset when he doesn’t give her the recognition she deserves. Elsewhere, Officer Harper takes matters into her own hands and makes a life-changing decision about her personal life.

• Useful 1

It was nice to have Greg Grunberg back as Larry doing better. He added more than any of Nolan's love interests–—and Nolan was more emotionally supportive to him than any of his love interests. 
But what was the point of that super awkward group hug at the end? 

No way would any of those 3 spoiled, terrible, adult kids of the Bernie Madoff-type guy (who played him?) have been capable of killing a likely-scary ex-con to steal something from him. I don't think any of them could fire a gun at a scary criminal if their lives depended upon it. Maybe at one another, though. 
But no way would any of them have been able to set up the fire on the tracks to reroute the train–—nor would they have even known they needed to do that. 
It should have just been Larry taking their incompetent butts down with a little help from Chen so she could still be magnanimous about giving Larry the credit.

I did enjoy the "mean girls" line.
And Thoreson as "Batman" who turned out to be "Compassionate Formerly Incarcerated Man."

Filming the PSA went on a little too much, which is too bad, because it could have been funnier if they hadn't made it almost into a real PSA to The Rookie viewing audience..

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It was nice to have Greg Grunberg back as Larry doing better.

While Lopez is the only Detective at LAPD, Larry & wounded partner are the only Train Cops in L.A.

When they found out the train was rerouted, nobody else was available to help?

• Love 3
18 hours ago, eel21788 said:

That will happen on next week's episode.

Sadly, no popsicles.

I thought this was mostly a fun and lighthearted episode. I needed that today. Was glad to see Greg Grunberg back and have him pretty solve the case.

I enjoyed the video stuff, especially the kid who filmed and edited it.

Since it was primarily fun, I was expecting something horrible to happen at Nyla's wedding party, given how over the top they went with Lopez. But it was just a sweet party.

• Love 5

Wait...so Bailey's duty shifts are only, what, four hours long?  Nice gig.  Firefighters usually run 24 hour shifts.  She must be very special.

Bailey was still sleepily in her nightgown when seeing Nolan off for his day at work.  Then she, as LA's only EMT, responds to the call when Larry's partner gets shot, then is home in time to cook and set up a full dinner and get changed in time to greet Nolan when he comes off duty.  I know I wasn't going to complain about Bailey anymore and treat her like comic relief (I prefer my comic relief to come in the shape of Smitty) but that strains credulity.  BaileyisfunnyBaileyisfunnyBaileyisfunnyBaileyisfunny.....  That was an ugly dress though.  WTF?

I loved the Bradford and Aaron "find your superpower" scenes.  Once again, Bradford proves that he's a chameleon of a Training Officer, and tailors his famous training to what the rookie actually needs.  Chen needed focus and toughening up, so he gave her the series of seemingly bullying "Tim Tests."  The other rookie who was coming back from combat duty in the war needed a gentle touch and someone to remind her that life can be good.  Aaron needed to find his center, his cop-confidence.  He was too prepared for the Tim Tests, passing those wouldn't prove anything.  Batman indeed.....

• Love 9

One of the more lighthearted epis because I was expecting something darker at least for one of the storylines.

And yes, it goes without saying that Bailey can't possibly be the only EMT on the planet.  I know firefighters and yes, they work 24 hours on and 24 hours off so she's home an awful lot, lol and always conveniently for Nolan, available at any of his scenes.

I liked Grey helping out with the video.

I like how Tim can work with the rookies and get them to be their better selves.  Chen OTOH is needy and it's not endearing.  I was glad that she seemed to mellow out towards the end.

Nice to see Greg Grunberg.

I'm glad that Nyla and James' wedding reception went off without drama and of course Smitty would be there to hear the proposal.

• Love 4

Fun & lighthearted episode!👍🏻

Compassionate Nolan.

Larry’s self redemption.

Aaron’s self awareness.

Tim values Lucy & her inputs especially re Tim’s tests.

Annoyed Grey, funny Silas and Smitty’s cameo.

2 power couples with organically developed bromance.

2 badass moms and mean girls.

Useless Bailey 🤦🏻‍♀️

Impromptu proposal.

Smooth and sweet wedding reception.

ChenFord dance.

Congrats Nyla & James! 💍🎉🥂💕

CE384345-77B4-46D6-9C49-2939A51B25A9.jpeg

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Raja said:

"Tenspeed and Brown shoe, a deep pull but I'm a little older than you"😆

Never heard of it before, but Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum as buddy cops? 
I just found it on Shout TV via Roku.

ETA: Never mind. 15 commercials to get to the episode, then 12 more after the intro. 
But it's on Prime for 99 cents and episode, so I might check it out later.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2

Chen is more ridiculously needy and whiney than my 17 year old high school students.  Why do they make her like that? I really really wish Chenford doesn't ever happen.  Tim has had his share of needy and whiny.  And I do not understand why people cave to her when she's like that.

• Love 8

This episode was an odd one - I was totally expecting something to happen at the wedding/reception at the end.

With the rich kids, I am assuming that they hired someone to light the fire on the train track

• Love 2
4 hours ago, bros402 said:

With the rich kids, I am assuming that they hired someone to light the fire on the train track

Sure. But the rich kid adults would also have to think of setting a fire on the tracks to cause the train to be rerouted and to know where and when it would be rerouted. 
I just can’t imagine them being smart enough to even figure out who they could hire to figure all of that out. 🤷🏻‍♀️
And now I’m realizing there is no way they could have tracked down the guy with the vase either. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

• Love 1

Overall, I liked this episode a lot.  It was good to have Larry back - I had forgotten about him, but he's amusing.

I don't really like Bailey, but she doesn't bother me as much as she once did.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Never heard of it before, but Ben Vereen and Jeff Goldblum as buddy cops?

Maybe I'm a little older than you 😉 but I remember it. Not sure if I watched it - but with those two, it's very likely I did.

• LOL 2
15 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Maybe I'm a little older than you 😉 but I remember it. Not sure if I watched it - but with those two, it's very likely I did.

Well P.I.s not cops Vereen/Tenspeed was in the Rockford vein a conman. While Goldblum/Brown shoe was the straight man accountant who dreamed of being a noir detective. It was a half season and done show.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Nolan must have access to the Jack Bauer wormholes scattered around L.A. They drove from the original destination to the emergency location before the Three Stooges could get off the train. Of course, the train crew just walked away for coffee...

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I was also waiting for something to happen at the reception.  Also, I hope they don't do the obvious with Nyla's baby.  Just let them be a happy couple.  And is Bailey a firefighter who comes out with the engine, or an EMT on an ambulance? 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, VegetasMom said:

I was also waiting for something to happen at the reception.  Also, I hope they don't do the obvious with Nyla's baby.  Just let them be a happy couple.  And is Bailey a firefighter who comes out with the engine, or an EMT on an ambulance? 

I do believe that Bailey is on the engine crew, in real life they are normally there first for medical calls as there seems to be a shortage of RA units in Los Angeles to me. I don't think that all LA City paramedics are firefighters also like in LA County, the Squad 51 of Emergency back in the day but many paramedics started and remain as firefighters and assigned to engines and trucks. And they can work RA units as subs also. Like what we are seeing on FOX's  9-1-1.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, paigow said:

One Chicago seems to treat Paramedics & Firefighters as Two separate, yet equally important groups

Perhaps, but I see LA City and County fire departments in real life. And the City had different levels of EMT/paramedics on their Rescue Ambulances

• Love 1

Guys.  You're overthinking this.  Bailey pops out of whatever fire department plot device necessary to get her to the scene.  I fully expect her to rappel down from a rescue helicopter into the middle of a shootout or brush fire one episode soon.

• LOL 6
11 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Guys.  You're overthinking this.  Bailey pops out of whatever fire department plot device necessary to get her to the scene.  I fully expect her to rappel down from a rescue helicopter into the middle of a shootout or brush fire one episode soon.

😂😂😂

Am so glad Bailey is not in SWAT. I really don’t want to see her as “female Hondo” or whatever‼️

On 4/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, crowceilidh said:

Chen is more ridiculously needy and whiney than my 17 year old high school students.  Why do they make her like that?

She's on my last nerve which is pretty shredded right now.  Her need for constant validation, attention, appreciation and head pats makes me insane.  And her vocal fry doesn't help

• Love 4

I don't dislike Bailey, but I thought Nolan and the doctor played by Ali Larter a few seasons ago were a better couple.  Sure, every episode ended up in that one hospital to accomodate her character, but they still seem to end up there a lot even now.  She just seemed like a better match for Nolan.

• Love 2