Type keyword(s) to search

SO1.E05: Something's Fishy

• Start Topic

Well, the self destruction of wiseguy chef Ryan has begun! I knew when the preference sheet said "Buffet and family style is never acceptable" that he finally drew the guests that would push him over the edge. That cheeky little street urchin even tried to put the moves on Magda. So glad to see she shut him down pretty quick. The only one with a hint of a chance with her would be the Captain. Glad to see Benny finally found shoes. These charter guests need Chef Rachel. Ryan talks a big game, but doesn't really have the broad skills needed.

Edited by aqusdealer
  • Love 9

Only the primary seems to put on airs about fine dining.

The other ones just want to eat but not necessarily what Ryan is serving.

Do the preference sheet not indicate what they want and don't want?  Or is Ryan just ignoring it?

Yeah the attitude is going to wear thin.  Aesha has already had it with him.

Magda's previous yachting experience was as yoga and fitness trainer.  Well she is wiling to learn and do the dreary work but is she on this boat because they're filming a TV show?

These guests, the guy sounds like Andy Dick except he's not doing a parody.  Every other sentence is I got this in Monaco.  So you overpaid for pajamas, big whoop.

They really featured bikini shots of that chick.  And she annoyed Ryan, so win-win.

Those waters are really teeming with huge fish.  Kind of freaky.  I may be going to Queensland but probably not as far north as Airlie.  Never scuba dived but never had some great desire to visit an aquarium either.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, aghst said:

Do the preference sheet not indicate what they want and don't want?  Or is Ryan just ignoring it?

Oh the fall of Ryan will be buffet style for sure. Capt. Jason is a cutie but enforcement is brisk.

• Love 4

Wow, just when I thought Ryan couldn't get any worse, he's mad because Aesha told the guests about the first course mere minutes before it was served? It was necessary so she could pour the paired wine. Did he think they somehow wouldn't notice it was fish when they saw it?

The previews of him telling to her go vacuum were beyond the pale. It's amazing Aesha kept her cool. Captain Jason needs to be aware that Ryan refuses to do his actual job, which is serve the guests the meals they want, when they want them. Not demand they meet his timeline and menu. He's just such a dick, absolutely no redeeming qualities. 

I'm with Tumi, there's a line that shouldn't be crossed with the crew/guests.  More importantly, by being in the hot tub, Culver wasn't doing his actual job, which meant that all the work fell on Tumi. Not sure why Jamie was so mad at Tumi for that one. 

Loving the locale, the water and fishies looked so amazing. I hope to get to Australia/New Zealand one day, when I can spend at least a month seeing everything,

• Like 2
  • Love 8

Thanks to certain family members' Wrestlemania obsession, I just discovered that I have Peacock. So while they watched wrestling I binged this show. I've stopped watching the other BD shows, but I was very curious about Aesha.

Pleasantly surprised! The captain is an absolute dreamboat, and Aesha is a great chief stew. Everyone gets along (mostly) and the crew's sexual shenanigans, racism, and out of control drinking are minimized. There is a more prolonged look at operations. No jet skis or super slides, just lovely gentle snorkeling. The scenery is stunning.

Of course we have to be punished with at least one asshole, and that is chef Ryan, who seems to think he is a human Automat.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
(edited)

First of all, I will agree with the primary, Thallassa's interior decorating sucks. It is not only just 80's, it is mostly ugly. I LOLed with the horror movie comment about all those angels in the room.

As for the Chef, I can't really believe he is real, I think he is acting so there can be tensions.
I mean, being a Chef in a yacht it is the opposite of what he says and does. His attitude makes no sense, it is jut not logical.

Edited by Zaffy
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

“Ryan is Ryan – I don’t give a F*&$ who’s around me.”  And that, mate, says it all.

Props to Brittini who took the helmet a lot more to heart than Benny did.  She wore that thing all night!

Not sure how much of the Tumi/Jamie drama is made up, but I can see both sides.  I respect Tumi’s desire to keep things professional, but Jamie has a point that the customer is important.  Jump in to the tub for a photo, chat for 5 min, then get out – seems like the best course of action.

Culver – your are NOT the “Entertainment Officer”.  That position does not exist.  Help out to get the tip, yes, but you’re not Elvis.

I froze the stream to read the preference sheet.  They’re in for trouble with this lot.  The lead guest looks like a real jerkwad who makes a living making staff suffer.  And at the bottom of the sheet, the want the crew to help them make a promo video for themselves?  I would have said “Hell No!”

I thought Ryan was the biggest arsehole on the boat but now it’s the Primary Guest.  I’m with Aesha – buy your own boat if you don’t like this one.

I predict these guests are just looking for excuses to give a crap tip.

For snorkeling the charter guest is more concerned with colour coordination than comfort/safety?  I hope they all drown… fashionably.

How many times does a-hole Supreme Karim have to say “Straight from Monaco” when referring to the rags he wears?

Ryan’s “philosophy” is that he doesn’t think the guests should know what they’re going to eat.  Personally, I can’t imagine anything more terrible.  I like what I like, and I strongly dislike what I don’t like.  And if I’m paying 5-star prices for 5-star service, I don’t want to be surprised.

Next week – will Ryan admit he’s a piece of fish?  Will Magda stop dropping things?  Will Brittini avoid the anchor chain?  Stay tuned….

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 3/31/2022 at 7:42 PM, aghst said:

Aesha has already had it with him.

Magda's previous yachting experience was as yoga and fitness trainer.  Well she is wiling to learn and do the dreary work but is she on this boat because they're filming a TV show?

If Aesha is over Ryan, then the world is over him, as Aesha has the most patience around difficult people, as anyone working Below Deck knows. Ryan is an idiot.

As for Magda, I remember her saying something about luxury yachts needing good-looking people, so her modeling experience got her hired. That was the first (and last) time her 'modeling' was explained, and I realize she has a lovely figure, but can everybody be a model nowadays? Or does Bravo and TLC etc hire them all? (joking)

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Tanukisan said:

I predict these guests are just looking for excuses to give a crap tip.

For snorkeling the charter guest is more concerned with colour coordination than comfort/safety?  I hope they all drown… fashionably.

I agree, totally! I have come to realize (thanks Below Deck) that the clients who are fake - who wear flashy wardrobes, who drop designer names of their belongings, and who complain about petty issues that they know are nonsense - are ALL guilty of behaviour that justifies not tipping as much as the crew is accustomed to. That tells me this rag tag bunch don't have 2 pennies to rub together. It is all for show.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2022 at 6:50 AM, Zaffy said:

First of all, I will agree with the primary, Thallassa's interior decorating sucks. It is not only just 80's, it is mostly ugly. I LOLed with the horror movie comment about all those angels in the room.

As for the Chef, I can't really believe he is real, I think he is acting so there can be tensions.
I mean, being a Chef in a yacht it is the opposite of what he says and does. His attitude makes no sense, it is jut not logical.

I am suspect of Ryan's participation on this boat, as well. No way would a chef be hired who tells everyone within earshot, the clients will eat what I give them, and don't ask them what they would like. That's just garbage, and no other boat would put up with him. So I think Ryan is trying to give them a storyline, and everyone loves a good villain.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 3/31/2022 at 7:42 PM, aghst said:

Only the primary seems to put on airs about fine dining.

The other ones just want to eat but not necessarily what Ryan is serving.

Yeah the attitude is going to wear thin.  Aesha has already had it with him.

These guests, the guy sounds like Andy Dick except he's not doing a parody.  Every other sentence is I got this in Monaco.  So you overpaid for pajamas, big whoop.

They really featured bikini shots of that chick.  And she annoyed Ryan, so win-win.

Those waters are really teeming with huge fish.  Kind of freaky.  I may be going to Queensland but probably not as far north as Airlie.  Never scuba dived but never had some great desire to visit an aquarium either.

Asshole meet asshole.  Line cook "Chef" Ryan is pulling an Adam.  Now if only Ryan could meet up with a huge branch or two on one of the islands or beaches, that would make my day complete.

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, Xebug67 said:

Asshole meet asshole.  Line cook "Chef" Ryan is pulling an Adam.  Now if only Ryan could meet up with a huge branch or two on one of the islands or beaches, that would make my day complete.

But, I don't think any of the female's on the boat are stupid enough to date Ryan and go to a beach with him.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:15 AM, Chalby said:

So I think Ryan is trying to give them a storyline, and everyone loves a good villain.

Maybe so? I know I hate the little prick! He was on WWHL last week and it didn't change my opinion.

Edited by Mr. Miner
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Mr. Miner said:

Maybe so? I know I hate the little prick! He was on WWHL last week and it didn't change my opinion.

I saw him on WWHL last week too, and he was a jerk, IMHO. So cocky. 

Did you see WWHL last night with Tumi & Mzi? Tumi confirms what we think about Ryan. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

I may be in the minority but I don't find Magda all that attractive. I mean I guess, you know, no one is gonna kick her outta bed or anything and sure she doesn't haven't any dramatic features that would put her in butt ugly category but there is something unattractive about her face that completely has me confused about these jaw dropping reactions the men have about her.  Now I do understand that sexy is it's own thing so that much I can lean on logically to validate the interest and she's got a nice body "according to fashion standards" but find her to be the least attractive female on the crew to be honest.  

I also not a fan of her decided mode of flirtation. I know it's fun to be desired by the opposite sex and flirting is fun but what I can't get behind is the vulgar and over the top physical displays. It would bug even if she was single but knowing she has a boyfriend and still wants to behave that way cause you know, having men drool over you is such a necessity in life that God Forbid one denies oneself, is all kinds of No to me. 

I'm sorry, with the risk of sounding absolutely cringe, I'm a rather gorgeous woman and I've been flirtatious and even rather forward in certain situations but I've never thought its a good look to be that ridiculously distasteful. And my most forward behavior has usually been with someone I'm interested in or having a good interaction with, that I'm attracted to and am hoping to maybe make a connection. I'm not slathering all over someone I have no intention of maybe hooking up with. Deliberate and pointed flirting and physical interaction isn't just fun flirting. I reserve that EXTRA sort of behavior for a two way street mutual interest situation. Throwing that around just randomly cause you like to have guys drooling all over you is just all kinds of ick to me. I also feel like it's rooted in a bit of selfish meanspiritedness as well. There's an air of self-centered disregard for those whom you are flirting with by dismissing their possible disappointment as irrelevant. Flirting is supposed to be fun for all involved. It's not meant to be a solo sport.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I agree the yacht is kind of tacky, it's obviously an older boat. But I would have kept those comments to myself, or said them in privacy to my fellow guests. Also? Unless I was looking at the wrong thing, those weren't angels, they were three topless island girls in sarongs. 

This really doesn't make any sense, it's like Ryan has no idea where he is. It's like he thinks he's their mother and says "you'll eat what I serve you or you won't eat at all." This isn't the way meals work on luxury yachts and he keeps saying things that make it sound like he's never worked on one in his life and thinks it's supposed to be the opposite of how it really is.

Also, when you defiantly declare to everyone you don't care what anyone thinks of you and won't moderate your tone of voice, your are a narcissistic, inconsiderate jerk, and you are going to live a lonely and miserable life making enemies wherever you go. 

I can't decide if he's for real or just playing a character for the show either.

Tumi is the lone voice of reason on this show. And Jamie really showed what an ass he was in the hot tub talking down to her. Gah.

I've also had it with Benny. HIs go-to response to ANYTHING someone says is "my parents are dead." Captain asks if his parents taught him how to cook noodles, Benny says they're dead. Um, I don't think that's relevant unless they died before they could teach him how to cook noodles. He clearly is looking for attention and sympathy. Hell my parents are dead but it's not the first thing out of my mouth whenever someone asks me a question.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

Does Brittini complain about how her name is pronounced? Does Benny know how to flake a chain?

Find out the answers to these and other questions on...

As the Yacht Turns...

[cue organ music]

Edited by WhiskeyVictor
  • Wink 2
  • LOL 4
On 8/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, iMonrey said:

I agree the yacht is kind of tacky, it's obviously an older boat. But I would have kept those comments to myself, or said them in privacy to my fellow guests. Also? Unless I was looking at the wrong thing, those weren't angels, they were three topless island girls in sarongs. 

I too agree with the way the yacht is decorated especially if you paid 5 or 6 figures for this charter.  I would expect I higher standard of decor as well.  The fake flowers did it for me 😒 

On 8/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, iMonrey said:

I've also had it with Benny. HIs go-to response to ANYTHING someone says is "my parents are dead." Captain asks if his parents taught him how to cook noodles, Benny says they're dead. Um, I don't think that's relevant unless they died before they could teach him how to cook noodles. He clearly is looking for attention and sympathy. Hell my parents are dead but it's not the first thing out of my mouth whenever someone asks me a question.

ITA!  Losing your parents is heartbreaking along with realization that you are an orphan but yeah I think he's using that as an excuse for his piss poor attitude.  I just don't like the guy.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 6:54 AM, Dirtybubble said:

ITA!  Losing your parents is heartbreaking along with realization that you are an orphan but yeah I think he's using that as an excuse for his piss poor attitude.  I just don't like the guy.

I don't like him either. Every time he sasses back at his boss by saying "yes, daddy," I think  "what an asshole." I don't know why Jason fell for his bull because yes, you can have some sympathy for someone, but losing parents is not an excuse to be a disrespectful drama queen.

• Like 1