Type keyword(s) to search

Candy - General Discussion

NotChristine
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

I never understood why Allan decided to denounce his previous statements to police and instead appear to be supportive of Candy while on the stand. And he did that before knowing that Candy had admitted to the murder and was going to claim it was self defense. 

I think he didn't want to believe that his affair resulted in his wife's death. Partly so he wouldn't have guilt to deal with over that (I may think he's a piece of shit but he's still human enough to feel something), and partly because then he wouldn't catch as much shit from others. As you noted, at the time he testified he did not know that Candy had admitted to killing Betty. If he had known that, then maybe he would have testified differently. At that point he would have had two narratives of events to choose from, the prosecution's narrative and Candy's narrative. Which would he have preferred? I don't know. In his shoes, as a father of two daughters with Betty, I'd go with the narrative in which their mother did not try to kill Candy first. That would be the better one for Betty's daughters. Also I suppose I'd prefer the narrative that didn't have two women that I'm romantically involved with being murderous. One's bad enough.

Thanks for the pictures of the real-life Candy. I can see that the hair and glasses were definitely in keeping with the real-life Candy. I still find Biel's line delivery and demeanor to be distractingly like Ricci's Misty, and it's just such an odd coincidence given Lynskey is part of both projects. I wonder if there's audio of how the real-life Candy spoke.

BTW, I found Candy's story about how Betty confronted her about Allan and then went and got the axe and so forth so unbelievable. Really, she should have gone with the motive that Betty was super-annoyed about her showing up two hours earlier than Betty specified because "it was better for her." I find that a much more believable motive and story!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cinnabon said:

Betty was also a churchgoing mom, though. She also had taught elementary school and fostered kids.

Yes but  if the show is to be believed Candy was liked and Betty was tolerated among the church community. 

I know that Candy moved georgia but I wasn't sure how long after the trial that happened. I do believe that Candy was self centered enough to think that once she was acquitted that things would just go back to the way they were in her community. 

I'm not a mental health professional  but I know enough about psychology to know that someone in a dissociative state isn't cleaning up murder scenes, taking a shower and carrying on with their days. I know that science has evolved since 1980 but you would think the prosecutor would have found some experts who would have disputed the defense theory. I suspect they thought they had a slam dunk. 

• Like 1
  • Love 9
30 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

Yes but  if the show is to be believed Candy was liked and Betty was tolerated among the church community.

I guess it depends on the exact makeup of the jury. I would hope that no members of their church were chosen for the jury, but who knows.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Really, she should have gone with the motive that Betty was super-annoyed about her showing up two hours earlier than Betty specified because "it was better for her." I find that a much more believable motive and story!

Yes, and note the offhand comment that Candy had a new decorating business and wanted Betty to call her to get her home done, that said as she looked around and saw how worn and dreary it was. Betty needed to do that, yes, but getting that self-serving rude comment from Candy of all people I would have found infuriating.

Christina was screwed by everyone around her except Candy's little girl. When Candy and Sherry insisted that she wear something black to her mom's funeral when the little girl was dead set on wearing the dress her mom had just made her (and that probably made her feel close to her and comforted her) was so cruel. And we see at the funeral the little girl sobbing in the black dress. They did nothing to comfort her at all. Just heartless. It was only Candy's little girl that made the effort to hold her and comfort her. 

Candy, aside from being a cold narcissistic psychopath, was so high school. It's like she was stuck as a wanna be queen bee leading her pack of mean girls, reading racy romances, tittering about sex, stealing other girls' boyfriends just because she knows she can. What grown woman brags about having the 'party house'? Just say your house can accommodate the number of people you intend to invite to the shower? But party house is so much more cool -- if you are sixteen.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I did find that birthday dish Candy prepared for her husband rather appealing.  I wasn’t familiar with it.  I found the details here.  It’s not very popular in my state.  

• Useful 3
6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I guess it depends on the exact makeup of the jury. I would hope that no members of their church were chosen for the jury, but who knows.

I don't know who was on the jury either either. But I also think that maybe this comes down to charisma. I feel like Biel was miscast. The writing suggested Candy was more charismatic and appealing than Biel conveyed. It's a tough role to play, for sure - so many of Candy's lines make her come across as such a self-centered asshole, and you really have to have an actress who has the sort of charisma and appeal that can make you buy that everyone loves her anyway. I don't think Biel has that. The way the show structured the final episode, everything really hinges on Candy's courtroom testimony, and we needed to see something from Biel that would make us understand why the jury was a sucker for Candy (whether they knew her already or not).

The choice to show Betty throughout Candy's testimony didn't help either. I understand the show wanted to emphasize that we were only hearing Candy's version of events and that Betty, being dead, could not give hers. But I think Lynskey played Betty in Candy's version of events as someone who really didn't do what Candy was claiming - there was an abruptness to all of her dialogue and movements that gave the impression of it not being Betty, but a puppet moving according to the story Candy was telling - and I also think she just came across in the courtroom exuding a genuineness that Biel lacked. And while I think the show wanted us to walk away feeling that Candy was a liar, it could have done a better job of showing why the jury fell for this defense.

I gather from comments here that Barbara Hershey played Candy in a TV movie about the same story, and that seems like much better casting. Hershey knows how to play someone who's a jerk but is still magnetic all the same. I understood from Lynskey's portrayal why Betty wasn't well-liked in the community, but "best party house" aside, I did not understand from Biel's portrayal why Candy was. She doesn't have that "it" factor.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I don't know who was on the jury either either. But I also think that maybe this comes down to charisma. I feel like Biel was miscast. The writing suggested Candy was more charismatic and appealing than Biel conveyed. It's a tough role to play, for sure - so many of Candy's lines make her come across as such a self-centered asshole, and you really have to have an actress who has the sort of charisma and appeal that can make you buy that everyone loves her anyway. I don't think Biel has that. The way the show structured the final episode, everything really hinges on Candy's courtroom testimony, and we needed to see something from Biel that would make us understand why the jury was a sucker for Candy (whether they knew her already or not).

The choice to show Betty throughout Candy's testimony didn't help either. I understand the show wanted to emphasize that we were only hearing Candy's version of events and that Betty, being dead, could not give hers. But I think Lynskey played Betty in Candy's version of events as someone who really didn't do what Candy was claiming - there was an abruptness to all of her dialogue and movements that gave the impression of it not being Betty, but a puppet moving according to the story Candy was telling - and I also think she just came across in the courtroom exuding a genuineness that Biel lacked. And while I think the show wanted us to walk away feeling that Candy was a liar, it could have done a better job of showing why the jury fell for this defense.

I gather from comments here that Barbara Hershey played Candy in a TV movie about the same story, and that seems like much better casting. Hershey knows how to play someone who's a jerk but is still magnetic all the same. I understood from Lynskey's portrayal why Betty wasn't well-liked in the community, but "best party house" aside, I did not understand from Biel's portrayal why Candy was. She doesn't have that "it" factor.

I just rewatched the 1990 movie with Barbara Hershey (well, a couple months ago) and her Candy was very stiff and monotone on the stand for a while. Her lawyer gets upset with her saying that the jury needs to see her distress and emotion, and he eventually pulls it out of her. I can’t recall if Hershey played Candy with a lot of charisma before the murder or not, lol. I know the movie started similarly, with Candy in her car bewildered and anxious, wondering why she was soaking wet. I guess I need to rewatch it yet again!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I did some research, and found out what happened to some of the people. 

Spoiler

Betty's husband remarried pretty fast, but divorced after a few years.   Betty's two daughters were raised by her parents.

Candy and husband moved to Georgia right after the trial, they divorced a few years later.  She went back to her maiden name Candace Wheeler, and with her daughter is a counselor.  Candy's ex doesn't want to get involved in the case after the divorce.  

• Useful 2
On 5/14/2022 at 4:16 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I did find that birthday dish Candy prepared for her husband rather appealing.  I wasn’t familiar with it.  I found the details here.  It’s not very popular in my state.  

Out of sheer curiosity, I may try making this.  😄   I had no idea this was even a thing.  Perhaps it was just 70s  / early 80s cuisine, like encasing everything in gelatin for some reason? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Out of sheer curiosity, I may try making this.  😄   I had no idea this was even a thing.  Perhaps it was just 70s  / early 80s cuisine, like encasing everything in gelatin for some reason? 

I hadn’t heard of it either.  I tried it last night.  I suggest that you not use whole wheat pasta.  That’s all I had on hand. And, make sure it’s cooked pretty well before you take it up to cool.  Mine was a little too crunchy, when I took it from the skillet.  I’d add 3 eggs, not two.  I didn’t have ham, but used cooked ground chicken and mushrooms.  Next time, I will use something spicy and serve sour cream and salsa.on the side. I think it has potential.   

• Useful 3
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Mine was a little too crunchy, when I took it from the skillet

Crunchy spaghetti does not sound good to me I would prefer it not molded into a shape... but I guess don't knock it 'til you try it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I thought this was a pretty good show. I had never heard of the real case so it was interesting reading some of the articles. I also cannot believe she got away with self defense. 

So Candy decides she wants to have an affair, she decides it's going to be with Allan and then they have a meeting about the pros and cons. It did seemed like she wanted an affair mainly for the sex but it looked she didn't get much enjoyment out of it. She did rave to her friend that he had the most beautiful penis but then when we saw them having sex, it seemed very robotic. Allan didn't really get excited until she tried breaking it off. I guess that's why she had the second affair. I laughed at her delusion at the end of the trial when she was all "things will go back to normal." No Candy, you admitted to 2 affairs and axe murdered someone, who will want to be friends with you at this point? Poor Pat.

I'm not surprised Allan get remarried so fast. He seemed helpless at taking care of himself without someone there to do the cooking and cleaning.

I also laughed at the murder recreation that Justin Timberlake and Jason Ritter did, especially the way Jason said "you stole my husband, you hussy!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, the sex scenes with Candy and Allen seemed so robotic.  There didn’t seem to be any passion there, so I was surprised when she announced to him that she was having feelings for him.  He seemed surprised too, but didn’t want to end the affair.  

I think the old movie showed the next guy she had an affair with. I have to check to confirm.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I thought this was a pretty good show. I had never heard of the real case so it was interesting reading some of the articles. I also cannot believe she got away with self defense. 

So Candy decides she wants to have an affair, she decides it's going to be with Allan and then they have a meeting about the pros and cons. It did seemed like she wanted an affair mainly for the sex but it looked she didn't get much enjoyment out of it. She did rave to her friend that he had the most beautiful penis but then when we saw them having sex, it seemed very robotic. Allan didn't really get excited until she tried breaking it off. I guess that's why she had the second affair. I laughed at her delusion at the end of the trial when she was all "things will go back to normal." No Candy, you admitted to 2 affairs and axe murdered someone, who will want to be friends with you at this point? Poor Pat.

I'm not surprised Allan get remarried so fast. He seemed helpless at taking care of himself without someone there to do the cooking and cleaning.

I also laughed at the murder recreation that Justin Timberlake and Jason Ritter did, especially the way Jason said "you stole my husband, you hussy!"

None of these people had much, if any, experience with sex before they got married. After the first few years of marriage and a kid or 2, they found themselves curious about what they may have missed. That was pretty common among some suburban couples in the late 70s. Lots of divorces, not many who committed axe murders.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, the sex scenes with Candy and Allen seemed so robotic.  There didn’t seem to be any passion there, so I was surprised when she announced to him that she was having feelings for him.  He seemed surprised too, but didn’t want to end the affair.  

I think the old movie showed the next guy she had an affair with. I have to check to confirm.  

I think Candy and Allan became emotionally intimate and that became more of a draw than the dull-ish sex. Candy started leaving cards and homemade goodies on his car windshield while he was at work. They spent a lot of time talking during their lunch hour trysts (sometimes even taking so much they skipped the sex.) Because those needs were getting filled through their affair, both spent less time having sex with and talking with their spouses. After Allan and Betty spent weekends learning how to communicate better and meet each other’s needs, he didn’t want or need the affair with Candy anymore. The police found a letter Allan had written Betty on his dresser when they processed the scene after the murder. He articulated his happiness about their newfound closeness and how much he was looking forward to their upcoming European vacation. Meanwhile Candy got a blow to her ego and went looking for something more sexually exciting.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

The book this show is based on is included in Kindle unlimited for anyone who has it.

I just can't get over how different Pablo Schreiber looks from the first thing I've seen him in (13 Hours: Secrets Soldiers of Benghazi).   Man, early 80s looks bad on everyone lol. What the hell was Pat wearing while grilling. 

Betty was just a little uptight and uncomfortable with people. But man, she deserved so much better.  It's sad that she and Allan seemed to be working things out. Though he's still an asshole.

Wasn't all that pleased seeing JT, wish it was someone else, it just took me out of it as soon as he came on screen.  

Candy would surely be found guilty today, one would hope, at least.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I just borrowed the book (in kindle form)  from my library using the Libby app. 

Same here. First I rewatched the 1990 tv movie now reading the book. Last case I got this involved in was Betty and Dan Broderick after watching the show on them.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

Same here. First I rewatched the 1990 tv movie now reading the book. Last case I got this involved in was Betty and Dan Broderick after watching the show on them.

Did you follow the Pam Hupp case and watch “The Thing About Pam?” I recently went down that batshit crazy rabbit hole!

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

It is also a documentary on Netflix? Oh boy here I go again....

I started to watch it in 2014, if it's the same one. The first episode gave me one of the worst nightmares I've ever had, so I can't really do those shows anymore.

• Love 1

I can't quite pinpoint why this didn't work for me, but it didn't. At times I felt it was too superficial and could have gone much deeper while at others I thought it was a total bore that went on for far too long. 

I knew nothing about the actual case and hadn't seen any prior dramatizations so things should have shocked or surprised me, but they really didn't. It all just came across as a cheesy Lifetime movie with exceptional production design. 

I did gasp when it was revealed that Candy went on to become a mental health counselor though. Good lord. 

And I know this was a unique situation but I really wish Hollywood would stop trying to make Justin Timberlake - actor - happen. Just. Stop. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

I am reading the book and it goes into so much more detail. I laughed when it said Candy had the latest Anne Murray hairstyle that she used a pick on, I think they are talking about Anne's hairstyle here. YIKES at the huge picture, sorry 😂

anne murray.jpg

Edited by Armchair Critic
OOPS I first posted Betty instead of Candy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I am reading the book and it goes into so much more detail. I laughed when it said Betty had the latest Anne Murray hairstyle that she used a pick on, I think they are talking about Anne's hairstyle here 😂

anne murray.jpg

You mean Candy's haircut.  Betty's haircut kind of had that Moe from the Three Stooges vibe to me.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

You mean Candy's haircut.  Betty's haircut kind of had that Moe from the Three Stooges vibe to me.

LMAO! That bowl cut did her no favors. Thanks for catching that, I just edited my post. In the book it actually says how popular Betty was back home and that she had her pick of men growing up. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

I am reading the book and it goes into so much more detail. I laughed when it said Candy had the latest Anne Murray hairstyle that she used a pick on, I think they are talking about Anne's hairstyle here. YIKES at the huge picture, sorry 😂

Mr Poetic and i got married in 1982. We used to both get perms to get that look. Our wedding pics featured our curly hair.  Mr Poetic also had several leisure suits. Luckily that horror of that era quickly passed and we were dressing differently a few years later. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Luckily that horror of that era quickly passed and we were dressing differently a few years later. 

We have a family picture from back then where my dad and brothers are wearing leisure suits, I look like Cindy Brady with the 70's style smock top and hair in 2 curled ponytails, and my mom is dressed in her best knit pants suit and has bouffant hair. Good times. 😂

16 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Betty had the Dorothy Hamill haircut that was popular in the late 70s.

Probably used Short & Sassy shampoo too.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

We have a family picture from back then where my dad and brothers are wearing leisure suits, I look like Cindy Brady with the 70's style smock top and hair in 2 curled ponytails, and my mom is dressed in her best knit pants suit and has bouffant hair. Good times. 😂

Probably used Short & Sassy shampoo too.

Or Herbal Essence. Wildly popular back then. 

BTW my parents had shag carpet in their house. They even had a shag rake that my mom would use before we had guests so the shag would stand up. 

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Or Herbal Essence. Wildly popular back then. 

BTW my parents had shag carpet in their house. They even had a shag rake that my mom would use before we had guests so the shag would stand up. 

Or Prell? Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific? We also had the shag carpeting in the early 70s with the rake!

Better picture of Betty.

A3C7AF7E-8EA6-44E4-8D7D-7F43F0AED08E.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This really dragged for me. A lot of people just staring at each other without saying anything. I’m very surprised they found her not guilty.  The end result of this was so much more intriguing than the actual story. Candy ending up a mental  health counselor. Her friend sliding in as Allans new wife. Her own husband staying for 4 years before divorcing? What was that like!?!  

• Love 2
On 5/13/2022 at 11:55 PM, Black Knight said:

The other thing I noticed is that Candy's story did not address the matter of Betty's glasses. That loomed large, the cop's original mistake of moving the pane that broke off in the garage, which meant it couldn't be introduced in the trial. That was another way in which the show made it clear that its angle is that Candy is a lying liar who lies. In Candy's story, the door between that room and the garage was closed during the entire scuffle, so there was no way for the pane from Betty's glasses to end up in the garage. The cops' re-enactment at the beginning of the episode, in which they reasoned that the fight started in the garage, where the axe was, made much more sense and did account for the glasses.

I know they put Candy under hypnosis to hear what happened that day. But Candy was such a liar and so good at putting up a false front, I just don't believe that Betty seriously went after her with the ax and that Candy was defending herself. 

• Love 2
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Pi237 said:

Candy ending up a mental  health counselor. Her friend sliding in as Allans new wife. Her own husband staying for 4 years before divorcing? What was that like!?!  

We need a follow up show to find out what happened after the trial. In 1998 Candy's lawyer had gotten a DUI and felt beaten down and took his own life. In the book Betty's father said he was most hurt that Allan didn't even seem to care Betty was dead, Allan didn't show emotion and he moved right onto Elaine. Candy's husband Ron didn't'learn she had a 2nd affair until the trial and was really upset when he found out. Candy (and the mother from 'Abducted in Plain Sight' also became one) had no business counseling anyone.

I am putting way too much thought into this show, glad I have others here to discuss it with.

• Love 7

Candy  is clearly a psychopath. She was a chameleon, able to fake her way through whatever she needed to in order to survive. She showed zero remorse for her actions and her emotions were very shallow and for show.  A normal person, in a case of self defense, might not show remorse for the specific reason of hurting/killing someone as a purposeful action because they hadn't done so. But they would be very remorseful and sad that they had killed someone for any reason, a person they knew well and had done them no true harm, in spite of feeling they had no choice. Candy showed no such emotion. She simply cleaned up and covered up and continued on with her day, smiling and pretending that nothing had happened. The immediate shakiness in the immediate aftermath I attribute to adrenaline coursing through her body and the natural instinct toward self preservation. But other than in matters of self preservation (like covering the cuts, repeating her rehearsed excuses re her morning and cutting up and trashing her shoes) she displayed nothing. She didn't even react like one would if one had accidentally run over a neighbor's trash can and drove on, trying to hide it. And that scene in attorney's office, serving refreshments and telling them all about the hypnosis and the 'shushing' incident. She may as well have been hosting a cocktail party.

She needed control in her relationships. She would decide when Allen became 'her lover' and when she would leave. When he wouldn't come back when called to and reignited his relationship with Betty (as much as a cold fish like Allen could) Candy was furious. Not brokenhearted. Angry. By the way, who says that? 'Taken a lover'? Wouldn't most adult women of the time have said to a friend that they were having an affair? "I've taken a lover."  So fanciful and full of herself. She pretended she was living in a romance novel. Again, not relating to people in a real way,but in a pretend way.

No, Candy is not a normal person and I am very sorry for anyone who may have the misfortune of knowing her or being counseled by her. She is a predator and the rest of us are of no concern to her unless we get in her way.  Betty was in her way.

By the way, it said she was a 'counselor'. No degrees mentioned, no official designation. I would think her past might have prevented her from being employed by anyone reputable even if she got the official papers to perform as a social worker or psychologist, etc. More likely she was a lay counselor in a more casual setting like a boys and girls' club or a church, something like that.  I do have visions of her being an enthusiastic member of the psychological community that promoted satanic child abuse repressed memories. I think she'd love something juicy and scandalous like that terrible period in our history. She wouldn't care who was hurt by it.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

I know they put Candy under hypnosis to hear what happened that day. But Candy was such a liar and so good at putting up a false front, I just don't believe that Betty seriously went after her with the ax and that Candy was defending herself. 

I think bits and pieces of her story might be true. But once Betty was on the ground or otherwise unable to make another move, Candy should’ve run right out of there. And that shouldn’t have  been too difficult.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Candy (and the mother from 'Abducted in Plain Sight' also became one) had no business counseling anyone.

I am putting way too much thought into

23 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Candy  is clearly a psychopath. She was a chameleon, able to fake her way through whatever she needed to in order to survive. She showed zero remorse for her actions and her emotions were very shallow and for show.  A normal person, in a case of self defense, might not show remorse for the specific reason of hurting/killing someone as a purposeful action because they hadn't done so. But they would be very remorseful and sad that they had killed someone for any reason, a person they knew well and had done them no true harm, in spite of feeling they had no choice. Candy showed no such emotion. She simply cleaned up and covered up and continued on with her day, smiling and pretending that nothing had happened. The immediate shakiness in the immediate aftermath I attribute to adrenaline coursing through her body and the natural instinct toward self preservation. But other than in matters of self preservation (like covering the cuts, repeating her rehearsed excuses re her morning and cutting up and trashing her shoes) she displayed nothing. She didn't even react like one would if one had accidentally run over a neighbor's trash can and drove on, trying to hide it. And that scene in attorney's office, serving refreshments and telling them all about the hypnosis and the 'shushing' incident. She may as well have been hosting a cocktail party.

She needed control in her relationships. She would decide when Allen became 'her lover' and when she would leave. When he wouldn't come back when called to and reignited his relationship with Betty (as much as a cold fish like Allen could) Candy was furious. Not brokenhearted. Angry. By the way, who says that? 'Taken a lover'? Wouldn't most adult women of the time have said to a friend that they were having an affair? "I've taken a lover."  So fanciful and full of herself. She pretended she was living in a romance novel. Again, not relating to people in a real way,but in a pretend way.

No, Candy is not a normal person and I am very sorry for anyone who may have the misfortune of knowing her or being counseled by her. She is a predator and the rest of us are of no concern to her unless we get in her way.  Betty was in her way.

By the way, it said she was a 'counselor'. No degrees mentioned, no official designation. I would think her past might have prevented her from being employed by anyone reputable even if she got the official papers to perform as a social worker or psychologist, etc. More likely she was a lay counselor in a more casual setting like a boys and girls' club or a church, something like that.  I do have visions of her being an enthusiastic member of the psychological community that promoted satanic child abuse repressed memories. I think she'd love something juicy and scandalous like that terrible period in our history. She wouldn't care who was hurt by it.

Edited 1 hour ago by Armchair Critic

She was never convicted, though. So her record was probably clean.

• Love 1

Her record, but not her history. A cursory look at the newspaper articles would give one pause in hiring Candy to 'counsel' anyone IMO. Of course, being in Georgia and with no internet and what I believe to be her facility for lying when it suited her needs, no one might even know who she was. So there's that.

• Love 1

I didn't watch past the second episode, because I was going to watch it all at once (the rest), but the TV movie reminded me that she got away with it, and I wasn't sure that I wanted to see that again.

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Her record, but not her history. A cursory look at the newspaper articles would give one pause in hiring Candy to 'counsel' anyone IMO. Of course, being in Georgia and with no internet and what I believe to be her facility for lying when it suited her needs, no one might even know who she was. So there's that.

But doing that kind of searching when hiring is a relatively new phenomena. Back in the 80s searching news articles was no easy feat. I've been a librarian for 40 years and back then news searching involved using microfilm and most newspapers weren't indexed. Unless you knew where and when to look, that kind of info would be hard to come by. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, poeticlicensed said:

But doing that kind of searching when hiring is a relatively new phenomena. Back in the 80s searching news articles was no easy feat. I've been a librarian for 40 years and back then news searching involved using microfilm and most newspapers weren't indexed. Unless you knew where and when to look, that kind of info would be hard to come by.

True. It just galls me that she can change her name and move states and pretend that nothing happened. She should have 'ax murderer' emblazoned across her forehead if there was any justice at all. Unfortunately that is not our world.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

It took a lot more effort to review newspaper articles in the 80s than it does now. We didn’t have the internet, lol.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

True. It just galls me that she can change her name and move states and pretend that nothing happened. She should have 'ax murderer' emblazoned across her forehead if there was any justice at all. Unfortunately that is not our world.

That's why people were able to just move and start over after doing terrible things. Not so easy these days.

• Love 5