Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Call Me a Kingbirdie

• Start Topic

This makes me wonder if this could be a possible segue for Max off the show.  I speculated in the last episode's thread that Max could be possibly get offered a job writing jingles, etc.  Even though the synopsis leads us to think it didn't go well, maybe it'll open a door elsewhere

I think it's more likely this will resolve the character's money problems. I could see if, say, Oscar and Kat do end up breaking up at some point, that the possibility that Max could be about to leave coming soon after that breakup could trigger Kat to initiate something with him more quickly.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think it's more likely this will resolve the character's money problems. I could see if, say, Oscar and Kat do end up breaking up at some point, that the possibility that Max could be about to leave coming soon after that breakup could trigger Kat to initiate something with him more quickly.

I'm with you on this although there are other ways it could play out to put them together that would work equally well.  Like Max leaves, then during that time Kat realizes she misses him and when he comes back unexpectedly looking hot and with a great career she moves to initiate things with him.

• Love 1

I did like Kat's virtual targeting display. Taking control of the bowling team seemed a bit out of the pale. I hope Oscar's disappointment doesn't become a relationship plot point.

Was Kat supposed to crash Max's dance number? That outtake would probably make it more popular on the internet. People love mistakes.

• Love 6

What a fun, quirky episode tonight!  Max finally gets to shine, and there's no doubt now that he is an incredible and valuable part of this ensemble.  Leslie Jordan continues to shape his character into comic gold, and it seems Wyatt is becoming a semi-regular, bringing a dry wit that is laugh out loud funny.

Two disappointments and one kind of reservation, though - not enough Swoosie Kurz this episode (but for all of her two minutes on screen, delightfully impish), and the dance-out was too short, too rushed.  And I'm not sure I like the tension between Kat and Oscar, but their scene in the ride home from bowling was poignant and realistic of growing pains in an adult relationship.  So I'm not sure if I didn't like that scene because it didn't mesh well with the outrageous fun of this episode. or maybe it's that it made me a little sad to think that Kat was thriving in the aftermath of bowling and Oscar's joy from bowling was fading.  Again, it's a place a lot of relationships in real life arrive at, and from my own experience, it's a very sad and lonely place for both partners when it happens.  I don't want to see that happen to anyone here.

• Love 8

Fun episode.  This cast is really good.  The dance number was fun.  The Kat/Oscar scene was a little sad but realistic.  I like the mix of a little drama with comedy.  Last week, it was Kat's relationship with her mom and this week, it was Kat and Oscar.

• Love 5
(edited)

Fun, charming episode, hopefully this isn't the start of issues between Oscar and Kat though. It seems like a real problem that a real couple would have, hopefully now that Oscar told her what was wrong they can movie past it quickly. 

The stuff with the influencer was very cliché, I'm pretty sure that most TV writers only have a vague idea of what an influencer is, some conception of taking pictures every second, talking only in vapid social media clichés, and a big hat, but I liked how it ended and it looks like Max's financial situation is looking up. That dance was pretty cute, I would give him a like.

"That's why every gay bar was called Secrets, or Whispers, or Thursday Night Choir Practice." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

No cats this episode in the short scene at the cat cafe.  I'm really enjoying Leslie Jordan's Phil character.  He's turning into the show's comedy gold.

Alas, I think Kat and Oscar are heading for a breakup.

• Love 3

I saw one cat on a perch in the background in one scene but that was it. 

I wasn't as big a fan of this episode as most were, obviously.  I'm getting a little tired of Phil making a play for every good looking guy that in the real world would be way out of his league.  I love Leslie, though.  And I'm also a little tired of the vapid "insta/tok" social media influencer trope too. 

I actually wasn't as unhappy to find out that Oscar and Kat's relationship has more depth than has been depicted.  It was feeling too surface all this time and now we see there's a lot going on under that surface that may not be ideal.  I'm OK with that as I never really saw Oscar as Kat's endgame.  They relate like brother and sister and we never see any passion or romance between them.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm getting a little tired of Phil making a play for every good looking guy that in the real world would be way out of his league

Me too.  I know the writers want to give hope to older folks who don't think they still have it, but.....c'mon, let's be real.  I know Kat and Oscar have quite an age gap, but Kat isn't a short, plump, gray haired man

And I'm also a little tired of the vapid "insta/tok" social media influencer trope too. 

I loathe insta-tok-fluencers like her.  Their disconnect from the 'real world' is positively frightening.  One of the things I learned from my self defense class is to constantly be aware of your surroundings.  It's individuals such as her that are the ones being snatched into the back of a van because they're walking with their neck craned down totally immersed in their phone

On 3/31/2022 at 12:39 AM, Yeah No said:

Like Max leaves, then during that time Kat realizes she misses him and when he comes back unexpectedly looking hot and with a great career she moves to initiate things with him.

You mean more than he looks right now?  I certainly hope they don't do this.  That would really ruin it for me and, I would think, ruin the good friendship they have going

On 3/31/2022 at 10:27 PM, appositival said:

Was Kat supposed to crash Max's dance number? That outtake would probably make it more popular on the internet. People love mistakes.

I would've love to have seen the entire dance number without Kat coming in uninvited and goofing it up

They relate like brother and sister and we never see any passion or romance between them.

Agreed.  Showing them sleeping in bed doesn't sell it.  I know Oscar loves her for who she is, but Kat's goofy, quirky, animated qualities can be too much to tolerate. But he knew this is how she is, so developing some contrived self-esteem issue to be the catalyst for a breakup would come out of nowhere

This may sound morbid, but if they plan on exiting Oscar's character, I'd like to see the writers 'go there' and have him involved in an accident while making deliveries that proves....fatal.  That would save face rather than showing him suddenly having issues with Kat's aggressive personality.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Me too.  I know the writers want to give hope to older folks who don't think they still have it, but.....c'mon, let's be real.  

Let's not.  This is a silly sitcom, so if the writers want to portray an unconventionally handsome older gay man like Leslie Jordan (and myself) getting conventionally handsome boyfriends then so be it.

1 hour ago, ctlady said:

his may sound morbid, but if they plan on exiting Oscar's character, I'd like to see the writers 'go there' and have him involved in an accident while making deliveries that proves....fatal.  

That would be comedy gold!  Maybe the writers can maintain the laughs the next week by euthanizing some cats.

• Love 5

I think people don't realize how much work being an influencer can actually be.  And how much money it can cost.  Sure, there are the amateurs but so many have to think about staging the perfect photo, investing in an aspirational lifestyle.  Always having to come up with content...etc.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

I think people don't realize how much work being an influencer can actually be.  And how much money it can cost.  Sure, there are the amateurs but so many have to think about staging the perfect photo, investing in an aspirational lifestyle.  Always having to come up with content...etc.  

To be honest, my experience with social media is limited to primetimer.com. The only exposure I've had to influencers are the parodies I see on sitcoms and skitshows.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

To be honest, my experience with social media is limited to primetimer.com. The only exposure I've had to influencers are the parodies I see on sitcoms and skitshows.

Right.  I'm not blaming posters per se. The media definitely portrays influencing as if it were just taking a few pictures and posting things to social media.  Like this episode, for instance. And that may be how some start out. 

But it's basically modern day marketing and to continue to be a top influencer takes time and effort and even talent. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Let's not.  This is a silly sitcom, so if the writers want to portray an unconventionally handsome older gay man like Leslie Jordan (and myself) getting conventionally handsome boyfriends then so be it.

Well in that case Kat herself being an unconventionally attractive over 40 woman should be shown dating conventionally handsome boyfriends like Max.  And while we're at it, why not show her mother doing that too?  But the show has not chosen to go that route.  Why is the show doing that with Leslie but not them?  I felt they paired Kat off too quickly with someone that IMO is not in the same league with Max.  Why, because Oscar is more in her league looks-wise? 

One of the empowering things about the show this series is based on is that Miranda was not a conventionally attractive female but her show didn't shy away from giving her male interests that were technically more attractive than her.

• Love 1
(edited)

Comedies always had a bit of drama mixed in...at least back in the day.

Kat/Oscar are out of the newness stage.  Oscar interfered with Kat's business when he helped out..going overboard in a previous episode and now Kat is doing the same to Oscar.  Maybe they're too similar to be in a relationship.

Swoosie makes the little she's given pop...a sign of a talented comedic performer 

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

That would be comedy gold!  Maybe the writers can maintain the laughs the next week by euthanizing some cats

Not certain if this was meant as snark or sarcasm.  If written well, deaths can be incorporated into a sitcom (James on The Jeffersons.  Colonel Blake on Mash.  Susan on Seinfeld.  Mrs Wolowitz on BBT (the only ones I can think of off the top of my head) whether it's to write a character off for either contractual reasons or plot development

On 4/1/2022 at 11:46 AM, sugarbaker design said:
On 3/31/2022 at 12:39 AM, Yeah No said:

then during that time Kat realizes she misses him and when he comes back unexpectedly looking hot and with a great career

And a girlfriend!

Maybe bring Brigeeeeet back?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Intuition said:

I think both men are attractive but Max is more attractive than Oscar.  I think Max is a little out of Mayim's league, but not by so much it looks unrealistic.   

I agree with this when it comes to looks.  However, I think Kat has a lot to offer in terms of intelligence and success.  Right now, I would say that she's more successful than either one.  That might change if Max starts getting more clients but for now, Kat has them beat.

Leslie Jordan is a hoot!!  I have to agree that the male nurse was out of his league though.  This week not so much since the guy was a little older than the nurse.  Plus Phil and he knew each other from playing bowling vs. the nurse who just met him.

• Love 3

Did Phil and nurse break up? I must've missed that. I'm fine with him getting hot guys. Plenty of straight TV shlubs have hot wives so this isn't all that different. And LJ is so cute and funny, I want him to find a nice hot man.

I love that song "Before You" by Cheyenne. It's been out for several years so seemed odd they went with that but I enjoyed the whole dancing plot.  

I thought this was a 13-episode season so was confused why this didn't feel that way. Then saw there are 4(?) more episodes so plenty of time to ramp up the Kat/Oscar drama, which I assume will culminate in the finale.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2022 at 6:13 AM, Yeah No said:

I'm getting a little tired of Phil making a play for every good looking guy that in the real world would be way out of his league.  I love Leslie, though. 

I thought he seemed out of Phil's league, too. I just thought it must be one of those things where the good personality adds a great deal to the + column. Some of those poses he was making while eating the fries made me laugh, and the cheerleading.

Cheyenne Jackson's voice is glorious, so I enjoyed that scene with Max and the others dancing mostly because of the song in the background. Kudos to the show making the actor's two biggest assets, his voice and his looks, a big part of the show, between the song here and the kilt scene last week (then there were the jogging pants a few episodes back).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Cheyenne Jackson's voice is glorious, so I enjoyed that scene with Max and the others dancing mostly because of the song in the background. Kudos to the show making the actor's two biggest assets, his voice and his looks, a big part of the show, between the song here and the kilt scene last week (then there were the jogging pants a few episodes back).

That kilt scene!!  Wowza!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I am not too worried about the potential for a break-up between Kat and Oscar.  They had Kat be attracted to the obnoxious sandwich guy who was flirting with her while also kind-of sabotaging her business, I thought he might become an ongoing plot/character, but they haven't mentioned him since.  This show doesn't' seem to be too invested in continuity.  

• Love 1
16 hours ago, xander874 said:

Plenty of straight TV shlubs have hot wives so this isn't all that different. And LJ is so cute and funny, I want him to find a nice hot man.

My point is that straight women that aren't gorgeous should be shown getting hot men but it mostly does not happen in TV land.  There's still hope on this show, though, that Kat ends up with a hottie (and her mother too!).  Personally I hope it's Max but with the right writing and person my feelings on that could change.

• Love 1

I'd say that Kat is definitely more successful, and likely a fair bit brainier (despite her quirkiness) than either guy. But those are qualities that are traditionally seen as attractive in a man rather than a woman. The men are more physically attractive, to a greater or lesser degree, but their lack of ambition (Oscar) and general success at life (Max) are working against them as far as being good catches. In Oscar's case I think the flip works, but Max is pretty much a Holly Golightly style hot mess.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2