Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 3/7/2022

falltime
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I'm willing to bet someone could pull a series of clips of Joe Biden (and every other President and VP) laughing in a similar way and not being critiqued for it.   A nervous chuckle is pretty common human behavior.   And if someone didn't point it out, I'd bet most of us would not notice it.   

The fact that it's only brought up by certain news organizations and that seems to be main source of critique of her is suspicious.   She gave a 50 minute Q&A on a live and death situation and the only take away is 2 second laugh to a poorly worded question?    Just feels like a reach.   

That's it for me. If you simply think Kamala could work on her nervous laugh or whatever, cool. But if you're the type to to dismiss everything when it's white men who've been president or vice president, I smell racism and misogyny. I've noticed it's the same people who dismiss the Access Hollywood tape who have a huge problem with laughter. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 12
18 minutes ago, After7Only said:

A nervous chuckle is pretty common human behavior.   And if someone didn't point it out, I'd bet most of us would not notice it.

Kamala's isn't a chuckle. It's an outright guffaw.😳

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I'm willing to bet someone could pull a series of clips of Joe Biden (and every other President and VP) laughing in a similar way and not being critiqued for it.   A nervous chuckle is pretty common human behavior.   And if someone didn't point it out, I'd bet most of us would not notice it.   

I think that Biden is getting plenty of criticism for his verbal foibles, and other presidents have certainly had to put up with criticism and jokes for common human behavior (Gerald Ford, for example), but this is something that Harris is getting dinged on and if she wants to, she can make an effort to stop doing it. If she doesn't, then she's just providing her critics with an easy, cheap criticism that will sink in deeper with the public the more it is repeated.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, ForumLou said:

What could be any reason to not bring it up?  There's always the fear that it might dissolve soon as it hit the sun and fresh air? Out of the briny water.  Lol kidding.  But they need a way to bring undamaged.,,   Money.  Its alllllwaaaaays got to do with money.

It is in 10,000' of water & nothing that deep has been recoverable so far.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1

I don't like Stephanie Grisham at all.  AT ALL.

Still, that's no reason for Sunny to be SO interruptive--immediately.  She was just plain rude.

Sunny was testy.

Stephanie was testier.  Don't like her.   Please don't bring her back.  She said she "doesn't like this," so it will only be harder on her.   See if Fox News has something for her.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I think that Biden is getting plenty of criticism for his verbal foibles, and other presidents have certainly had to put up with criticism and jokes for common human behavior (Gerald Ford, for example), but this is something that Harris is getting dinged on and if she wants to, she can make an effort to stop doing it. If she doesn't, then she's just providing her critics with an easy, cheap criticism that will sink in deeper with the public the more it is repeated.

Yeah, and then it will be because she smiled when she shouldn't have, how dare she smile, or that she wore the wrong color lipstick, how dare she wear that shade of lipstick, and why is she allowing the wind to blow her hair all over the place, how unprepared, wahwah. This kind of negativity dripfeed is par for the course with women in the public arena. No amount of changing will satisfy someone who is angry over a laugh.

As for Stephanie Grisham, cry me a river, lady. Ana was right to point out how vile people like Grisham were to her the past five years, nobody has pity for her now the shoe is on the other foot.

• Love 11

IMO Stephanie worked for Melania, then Trump, then back to Melania. And things were never rosy for Melania and the things Stephanie knew about her.

A single mother "should" of made the move to another job while in the WH when things were fine with her there for the occupants. Not when it went to hell.

Then she wrote a book about her time with the Trump's. No way FOX will embrace her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

As for Stephanie Grisham, cry me a river, lady. Ana was right to point out how vile people like Grisham were to her the past five years, nobody has pity for her now the shoe is on the other foot.

HUZZAH!!!!

6 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Then she wrote a book about her time with the Trump's. No way FOX will embrace her.

Mme. Spin Mistress didn't plan ahead much, huh?   WHO gave her that much time on "The View" and why???   I don't think Sunny has much sway in who is hired (too bad in this instance), but Whoopi DOES.  I  don't think Whoopi wants her.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, bluegirl147 said:

In all honesty I would rather have someone like Grisham who says yes I worked for that administration.  I supported his polices but now I realize how bad things were.  As opposed to someone who purports to hate someone and yet defends everything they do.  I also think what you see is what you get with Grisham. 

I think this could be true WHILE she's auditioning for the job.  If she GETS the job, there might be a completely different story.

For some reason they "need" to hire a conservative co-host.  Why?  I'll never know.  Can't we have someone smart, INTERESTING, fun, plays well with others...even if non-political?  Remember when Sara was non-political...and now she has to CRAM before every show to be sure she's on par with her fellow panelists?  Not fun for her; not fun for me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

No amount of changing will satisfy someone who is angry over a laugh.

I don't think anyone is angry over a laugh. This is a criticism of someone's public actions that they think are silly and not worthy of a VP. My point is that if Kamala Harris recognizes this criticism of her behavior and addresses it, there's no problem. If she doesn't then there's going to be the drip, drip, drip of stupid comments that will stick to her when she wants to run for president. If you are in public life, you have to deal with the criticism and manage it.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

If it's not the laugh, then the republicans will find something else superficial to criticize.  Especially since she is a woman of color.

Deal with that when it shows up. Don't worry about what might happen until it happens. If you are going to go with "she's a woman of color so she's going to lose" then she's going to lose if she doesn't try to remove superficial criticisms.

7 hours ago, geekburger said:

Stephanie surprised me how much I enjoyed her. But unless they are planning on getting rid of Sara, that demographic is taken.

I enjoyed the discussions between Ana/Stephanie/Sunny. Whoopi never would have let them get that far but it was layered and interesting.

That was the best part of the show, it felt like I was intruding on a private conversation between women calling each other out for their contradictions..

• Love 10
On 3/8/2022 at 11:32 AM, Bronzedog said:

Sunny was really looking for a fight and I was looking forward to watching it.  But, we have a news conference instead.

Although I have to wonder if Joy got hurt from her fall, I would hope, if she did, that they would have changed the seating by now.

That chair has been an issue for everyone on the panel since they started it. They even made comments several times during shows.  Cannot imagine why they did not change it a long time ago.  Very dangerous... and awkward 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

If it's not the laugh, then the republicans will find something else superficial to criticize.  Especially since she is a woman of color.

Yes. Whatever people think of Kamala's politics, it was disgusting how quickly it went to her not being an American, a woman of color becoming VP not being anything that special, that she slept her way to the top, etc. People who claim to have such a reverence for history couldn't even appreciate how this woman made history in multiple ways. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
On 3/10/2022 at 5:42 PM, Rightside said:

I'm starting to fast forward when Sunny talks. She always has to be one of the first to speak on a topic and seems to talk the longest.

I think I would really enjoy the show if she was off for a few days in a row.

I usually don't grow tired of this show but this week....has been the toughest week for me as a viewer. Normally I love Sunny but she has been full throttle this week in just about every topic. It's like she's a shark that smelled republican blood in the water and she is very hungry. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 3/11/2022 at 10:56 PM, Primal Slayer said:

Normally I love Sunny but she has been full throttle this week in just about every topic. It's like she's a shark that smelled republican blood in the water and she is very hungry. 

This is SO GOOD ... and the little shark gets that smug look I hate so much...and puts her hands on or near her chin.  Does she have some RING she wants comments on?

Edited by Back Atcha
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, oceanview said:

That chair has been an issue for everyone on the panel since they started it. They even made comments several times during shows.  Cannot imagine why they did not change it a long time ago.  Very dangerous... and awkward 

What's wrong with comfortable chairs that someone would have in a beautiful home?  Make sure the height is right for sitting down and standing up ... especially for the heavy and 65-ish Whoopi and Joy, who's 79.   Also, WHY have them walk out?  They could be sitting comfortably...with a table for their notes (and modesty) when the show opens.  A sofa wouldn't work as well as chairs.

I still remember working for a small company and having to go to lunch alone every day.  I went to the same nice/casual restaurant and sat at the bar.  One day my heel (1960 stilettos) caught on that ring on the barstool as I was leaving--and I fell FLAT on my face and chest.  I was 20, so I was humiliated, but not hurt.  Also, too embarrassed to ever go back there.  No high stools for older people, men or women.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, KittyQ said:

I don't think anyone is angry over a laugh. This is a criticism of someone's public actions that they think are silly and not worthy of a VP. My point is that if Kamala Harris recognizes this criticism of her behavior and addresses it, there's no problem. If she doesn't then there's going to be the drip, drip, drip of stupid comments that will stick to her when she wants to run for president. If you are in public life, you have to deal with the criticism and manage it.

The "problem' is there will be something else. Her laugh is not the problem.  She is the problem for those who want to see her as a problem.  Her race and ethnicity was a big deal to many ignorant people.  They made a big deal of why she was calling herself the first east Asian  VP . I can't explain how many posts on FB I saw spewing BS about her using her race to somehow play people.  Obviously people know you can be mixed race but idiots wanted to act as if she was being fake about her race. Why? Because they wanted to to convince the simple minded she was a liar and an opportunist.  So if its not her laugh it will be her facial expression, her clothes , ect.

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, ForumLou said:

She did but it was on one of Ana's off days

True, but that was no reason for Sunny to continue to pile on. I guarantee if someone like MM was constantly asked the same damn question on a daily basis, she would have told them both to go f*** themselves.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Speaking of which - if she's on again whenever she brings up her poor little me sob story about being a single mom I want someone to ask her how she felt about kids being torn from their mothers at the border.  She doesn't get to play the mom card here.

She wasn't playing the "mom card"...if anything she was playing the "job card".  Her response had nothing to do with political scene you quoted.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

She wasn't playing the "mom card"...if anything she was playing the "job card".  Her response had nothing to do with political scene you quoted.

She was playing the job card but basically making it sound like as a single mother I have to take whatever job I can get no matter how heinous.  Sorry Grisham but that doesn't wash with me given the previous administrations appalling choices with regard to parents and children.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 12
10 hours ago, Cozytea said:

The "problem' is there will be something else. Her laugh is not the problem.

This. The reason there would be no amount of changing that would please someone angry over a laugh is because a laugh isn't what they're really angry about, and Sunny hit the nail on the head in that regard. It's her identity and her mere existence that is what bothers them, but they'll always give (or be given) a different reason to justify those feelings rather than acknowledge what the source is.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Yeah, and then it will be because she smiled when she shouldn't have, how dare she smile, or that she wore the wrong color lipstick, how dare she wear that shade of lipstick, and why is she allowing the wind to blow her hair all over the place, how unprepared, wahwah. This kind of negativity dripfeed is par for the course with women in the public arena. No amount of changing will satisfy someone who is angry over a laugh.

If she didn't do the laugh, they would call her angry and humorless. There is no winning.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
On 3/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, deirdra said:

It is in 10,000' of water & nothing that deep has been recoverable so far.

daaaayummm.  That does indeed suck.  I wonder out of curiosity how far down was Titanic?  Not even robots could do it?  Where's Will Smith when you need him. 🙃

9 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

If she didn't do the laugh, they would call her angry and humorless. There is no winning.

That's very true.  And in all fairness, it is very hard to fake laugh and make it sound natural. Imho anyway.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SusannahM said:

She was playing the job card but basically making it sound like as a single mother I have to take whatever job I can get no matter how heinous.  Sorry Grisham but that doesn't wash with me given the previous administrations appalling choices with regard to parents and children.

And I'm sorry but I don't feel that she should be scolded and/or responsible for her boss' choices.

Political stance aside, how many of us have had jobs where our boss made some ridiculous choices? It happens to the best of us, and we don't always have wherewithal to just walk out when we don't agree with those choices. 

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 2
On 3/11/2022 at 11:22 PM, oceanview said:

I could understand if Joy is reluctant to allow her accident to be the reason for a set change. All of the co-hosts at one time or another have had issues with those chairs. If Joy's fall is the last straw, it would set her apart from the others in an embarrassing way.

10 hours ago, MsTree said:

And I'm sorry but I don't feel that she should be scolded and/or responsible for her boss' choices.

She is being scolded and held responsible for her own choices.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sue in her 60s said:

I could understand if Joy is reluctant to allow her accident to be the reason for a set change. All of the co-hosts at one time or another have had issues with those chairs. If Joy's fall is the last straw, it would set her apart from the others in an embarrassing way.

I don't think so.  Somebody has to get them to change the chairs and if it takes Joy falling, fine.  Just so it gets done so they can be comfortable and safer.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Which is fine but 5 days straight when she isnt even defending her past gets old real fast.

Totally agree which is why I hope she isn't coming back anytime soon.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Which is fine but 5 days straight when she isnt even defending her past gets old real fast.

Maybe its indefensible.  She should have every woman write 1,question, and then she will answer them and that,will be that.

3 hours ago, SusannahM said:

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, MsTree said:

Political stance aside, how many of us have had jobs where our boss made some ridiculous choices? It happens to the best of us, and we don't always have wherewithal to just walk out when we don't agree with those choices. 

It's also difficult "to just walk out" if one has left a series of bad choices in her wake.  Her attitude wasn't always the best.  Wonder if any previous employers would even grant an interview.

On 3/12/2022 at 3:20 AM, Back Atcha said:

This is SO GOOD ... and the little shark gets that smug look I hate so much...and puts her hands on or near her chin.  Does she have some RING she wants comments on?

THAT SMUG LOOK.......you said it perfectly.  Would love to smack MISS Fancy Pants sometimes.....like we are all at little less smart than she is

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, SusannahM said:

She is being scolded and held responsible for her own choices.

Which she has explained ad nauseum.

Let's just agree to disagree because we're just going around in circles and I'm starting to get dizzy now 😜

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Back Atcha said:

It's also difficult "to just walk out" if one has left a series of bad choices in her wake.  Her attitude wasn't always the best.  Wonder if any previous employers would even grant an interview.

Probably not, which is why she stayed to the bitter end.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, SuzieSioux said:

Agreed.

Also, I hope people realise that the way she talks about Nicaragua on the show like she did this week is not the whole story, and her family aren't exactly squeaky clean in all that.

Agreed.

Your post got me to google, and an article I read about Ana by Ben Norton was rather . . . enlightening. 

On 3/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, Bronzedog said:

Did they mention Jussie Smollett?

I was surprised they didn't bring up such a huge story. 

On 3/11/2022 at 2:58 PM, After7Only said:

The fact that it's only brought up by certain news organizations and that seems to be main source of critique of her is suspicious.   She gave a 50 minute Q&A on a life and death situation and the only take away is 2 second laugh to a poorly worded question?    Just feels like a reach.   

Yeah, they make it sound like Kamala is this nonstop giggle fest, and that's not true. 

• Love 1