Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Your Daughters are Double Dipping

• Start Topic

Don't tease us, show, we know Carolyn isn't going home unless she goes with Kurt. 

Nice suit, Steven.

Calah's mom looks younger than Calah.

Amanda is rich! You go, girl! 

Most of the parents figured out which Joe was rich, even if the girls still can't tell.

Whitney's dad is a trip. He'll be a hoot as a father-in-law.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 2

Steven gets coy for the camera, but brags to the parents about all his cattle.  

Even more and more he is acting like he thinks he is the star of the show and Kurt the sidekick.  

And when the one dad asked about the distance between him and his daughter, Steven talked about being long distance for a while and then working it out….but what he meant was that if they got serious, she would move.   For all his bragging about his other businesses and talk about travelling for his car washes, I’m guessing they aren’t that far from home base.   He isn’t going to move to New York. 

• Love 4

Martin seemed really sad to see Breanna go. I don't remember him being that close to any of the other girls...but then she's probably the only one he had to scrape off the ground.

In the previews, Kurt's mom doesn't like Carolyn.

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Love 6

I could’ve watched another hour of awkward family time. 

I find it a bit strange that everyone had family there except Carolyn. Deep down I was hoping her ex-husband would show up and tell Kurt to run. Her best friend is as good at non-answer answers as she is. I wish Kurt would’ve pushed him for more info, especially when at the end he said he knew nothing about her. Curious to see how she’s the same as his ex per the preview. 

To whomever said Steven has a big tractor, that wasn’t a tractor 😂

Why was Whitney so orange in her TH’s? It was jarring to go from that to her looking pretty pale sitting next to her parents. Bad lighting? Fake tanner accident? 

Apparently snow in February in the midwest is an uncommon occurrence that needs regular interruptions of shows (/sarcasm), so to entertain myself I started scrolling through Carolyn’s IG. Color me shocked that her skincare company is legit and not just a Mary-Kay/other MLM type thing. There’s only one product, a face oil, but it’s apparently been written about in British Vogue three times. I still can’t wrap my head around the fact she’s 30, though, and her weird stalker-ish behavior at the end of the ep wasn’t helping. I hope when her son’s older, she doesn’t encourage this type of behavior in him. 

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

I find it a bit strange that everyone had family there except Carolyn.

I also found it odd and slightly unfair. Even if her mother or father couldn't make it, doesn't she have any siblings? Cousins? Aunt or Uncle?? SOME type of relative? Having a friend there was not the purpose of that entire exercise. It was supposed to be about seeing where the girls "came from". 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

I also found it odd and slightly unfair. Even if her mother or father couldn't make it, doesn't she have any siblings? Cousins? Aunt or Uncle?? SOME type of relative? Having a friend there was not the purpose of that entire exercise. It was supposed to be about seeing where the girls "came from". 

I agree. Martin announces that their family and friends are coming—and it turns out that everyone had two family members, except for Carolyn who had one friend. Yikes! I mean, there can be a number of reasons why no family showed up for Carolyn:  they’re watching her son, they have health concerns during the pandemic, they have to work, or what I think is most likely that this whole experience is bringing shame upon their family. But Kurt was already feeling like Carolyn isn’t sharing anything deep about herself, so this just put her at a huge disadvantage! Especially compared to her biggest competition. Amanda’s mom was a bit “much” but Kurt really seemed to be entertained by her and was having a blast. I wonder about Amanda being wealthy. Does SHE actually have money—or presumably it’s her parents who do? But then her job title is fashion designer/ entrepreneur, which does make me think her parents are funding her little pet project. But she’s still youngish, and I’m sure they expect her to have a husband some day so they don’t need to keep supporting her. This is all speculation, of course.

Speaking of parents who were “too much”—Whitney’s dad. It appeared that Whit’s dad and Amanda’s mom were competing for screen time to become the next break-out star, like make our family the next Kardashians…or more like the next Chrisselys. But I think Whit’s dad takes the margin on most obnoxious, as he actually said things that WAY crossed the line, “You sex strippers?” What the ever-loving f*ck?! Is this an offer for a boys’ night out—or are you trying to tell them something about your daughter??

Is it strange that we’re this far in and I still don’t know who Steven likes? It seems that maybe he is most interested in Callah but she’s indifferent toward him. But then sometimes I think Callah and Whitney are both here simply because both guys are equally interested in them, and they both have equal interest in the guys so they’re there just for the “drama” that either Joe could pick them (even though there’s no chance Kurt would)—and they might end up wanting the other Joe. But all of the girls Steven interacts with seem to be at arm’s length from him—very different from how Kurt is with both Carolyn and Amanda. I guess Steven seems to like Annie? But I need other opinions on whether she is the perceived front-runner because I really can’t tell.

• Love 2

Loved this episode but would really like to have seen more of the responses to the questions the guys were asking.  What delights me the most about this show is the relationship between Kurt and Steven.  I would watch a road-trip show about them.  Maybe the surprise twist at the end of this show will be that they choose each other...

Something else that always entertains me is trying to figure out why Kurt is so infatuated with Carolyn.  She doesn't seem to have an amazing personality so I just don't get it even though I understand that sometimes charisma and chemistry don't translate through t.v.  And, if Kurt really wants to end up with her, I hope he gets an opportunity to meet her son.  I really, really, really don't like it when children are involved in these reality shows (i.e. Bachelor/Bachelorette, 90 Day, etc.), but they are a HUGE factor in a relationship (yes, I am the master of the obvious...).

I think the actor playing Martin does a great job.  Looking forward to next week.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Does SHE actually have money—or presumably it’s her parents who do?

She mentioned her grandfather leaving a large trust for her family when he died. So it sounds like he was the wealthy one, and they all inherited the money, but it also doesn't sound like they're big spenders. She said they live humbly.

Kurt is SO BLIND! He has such an awesome connection with Amanda. They're natural, they have fun together, he loved her family. Carolyn is a giant drag, they never talk about anything besides their feelings for each other, and it's a huge red flag that not a single member of her family could show (to pile onto the heap of red flags she's already been waving).

I personally like Steven. I'm not seeing the supposed arrogance other people here are bringing up at all. He's well-spoken and has a good sense of humor, and he has much clearer judgment than Kurt. Love that he's pegged Carolyn for what she is from day 1 - she wouldn't have made it past week 2 if it were up to him. I definitely think his front-runner is Annie, but that could change. He was bummed when Whitney used her coin for Kurt (and didn't appreciate his date with her being interrupted by Jenny). I think the guys are infatuated with the 'mystery' of Callah but she'll be cut soon. Prediction is that it'll come down to Amanda vs Carolyn for Kurt, and Annie vs Whitney for Steven (I guess Callah as dark horse in place of Whitney). I really love the bromance between the guys.

• Love 8

It looked like Kurt's mother said that there were other exes that should remind him of Carolyn, which is really interesting that it seems to be a pattern with him. Hopefully, he will be able to break out of that, since it hasn't worked for him. And I don't like that he would rush right into a relationship that involves a child. I agree that it was totally unfair for just Carolyn's BFF to show up, who had obviously been briefed on her feelings for Kurt and what his assignment was to be. Kurt is an idiot if he picks her and I like that he is starting to realize that he learned absolutely nothing more about her.

They both gave Breana as much of a shot as they could, but she was her own worst enemy, especially when they saw her with her family. She is just too insecure and it would be too exhausting to be in a relationship with her. But, yes, Martin adored her.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, jade.black said:

Kurt is SO BLIND! He has such an awesome connection with Amanda. They're natural, they have fun together, he loved her family. Carolyn is a giant drag, they never talk about anything besides their feelings for each other, and it's a huge red flag that not a single member of her family could show (to pile onto the heap of red flags she's already been waving).

Yes!  That shot when he was just having the best time with Amanda's family said it all.  And then they pan over to Carolyn in the background pouting and shooting daggers with her eyes.  How is this even a choice!

There can be a lot of reasons why Carolyn's family didn't show up but I would guess none of them are good.  Red flag alert!!

Amanda's mother is Barbra Streisand??!!  No wonder they're so rich!! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I wonder if it is producer manipulation that resulted in Carolyn not having any family there? As in they wanted to continue the 'mystery' as Carolyn continues to stonewall Kurt. Because otherwise, as others have said, that should be a huge red flag to Kurt. However he seems not to have seen any of the previous flags, so why would he see this one? 

My fav pairing continues to be Kurt and Steven. They are hilarious. I can't remember which one (I think Kurt)  referred to the two of them as brother husbands, but that made me laugh out loud. 

• Love 3
On 2/18/2022 at 1:14 PM, Kiki620 said:

Yes!  That shot when he was just having the best time with Amanda's family said it all.  And then they pan over to Carolyn in the background pouting and shooting daggers with her eyes.  How is this even a choice!

There can be a lot of reasons why Carolyn's family didn't show up but I would guess none of them are good.  Red flag alert!!

Amanda's mother is Barbra Streisand??!!  No wonder they're so rich!! 

I feel sad thinking about what Kurt's upbringing was like.  Anytime someone cuts loose and makes a joke, he laughs like crazy for several minutes like nobody's ever cracked a joke with him before.  You know?  

That being said, I'm not sure if I really trust Amanda either.  She doesn't need this show whatsoever, she has everything in the world at her feet.  I believe Kurt is interested in her but I don't feel the same from her.  She just always has laughing eyes like she's having fun and wants to win a game.  I don't know.  Very hard to read.

I wanted to see Carolyn's family because I always wondered about her background.  Online it says she's white but I always wondered if she was mixed or something.  I don't think she wants anyone to know about her parents, regardless.

Is Breanna really young?  She just probably has to grow up a bit.  I get that Stephen was trying to let her down easy but telling her it's because she's from a small town was so shitty.  Don't tell someone you're rejecting them for something they can't change.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 2/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, jade.black said:

I personally like Steven. I'm not seeing the supposed arrogance other people here are bringing up at all. He's well-spoken and has a good sense of humor, and he has much clearer judgment than Kurt. 

I too like Steven. He seems respectful and fun. That said, it's a reality dating show, and I feel we get more honesty from Kurt (in an often messy way). Steven seems to be playing the game - leaving his options open - and is very smooth/confessional-ready. But as a viewer who is mighty skeptical that any of these alleged relationships will continue after the cameras are off, I'm interested in watching his progression.

I hope Kurt's mom sets him straight and points out the similarity to previous gfs. I wonder if Carolyn is simply physically his "type", since I find it hard to believe that he's dated women before in her previously-married-with-a-kid situation.

The older I get I find the more attuned I am to casual sexism, because I could not stop hearing almost every male saying something to the effect of the dads thinking "what did I let my daughter get into?!?" as if each of the participants is not a grown-ass woman who chose to come on the show herself! It's probably hyper-sensitive, but damn, guys, you could word it more as "what has my daughter gotten herself into?!?" and move away from the paternalism we've been trained to accept. </steps down from woke soapbox, dodging tomatoes>

Steven talked a lot about Breanna's insecurities, but I think she was also just more immature in comparison to the other women. Excessively drinking like a college student, along with the hrumph-style petulance with her parents made her seem like a little kid rather than a fellow adult. A perfectly fine person, but out of her league among the other ladies.

ETA: I was writing as Ms Blue Jay posted about Breanna - mind meld, lol!

Edited by Dewey Decimate
great minds think alike
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Dewey Decimate said:

Steven talked a lot about Breanna's insecurities, but I think she was also just more immature in comparison to the other women. Excessively drinking like a college student, along with the hrumph-style petulance with her parents made her seem like a little kid rather than a fellow adult. A perfectly fine person, but out of her league among the other ladies.

ETA: I was writing as Ms Blue Jay posted about Breanna - mind meld, lol!

Exactly, we're on the same page.  She seems really sweet, and I like her.  She was doing SO well at the beginning of this.  But I think she'll be fine.  

I forgot to say, Whitney's Dad was the really funny / weird one right?  LOL.  I think his name was Tony?  Also, Amber's Dad was so touching, the way he reacted when he saw her.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:11 PM, NeenerNeener said:

Most of the parents figured out which Joe was rich, even if the girls still can't tell.

Whitney's dad is a trip. He'll be a hoot as a father-in-law.

I don't understand the twist of bringing the parents here with several women left.  Of COURSE the parents are going to sniff out the millionaire!  Then again, women this age probably don't listen to their parents anyway?

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Online it says she's white but I always wondered if she was mixed or something.  I don't think she wants anyone to know about her parents, regardless.

Agree...she's definitely hiding something. That's alone should be a red flag for Kurt, but he's too dense to figure it out.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

Agree...she's definitely hiding something. That's alone should be a red flag for Kurt, but he's too dense to figure it out.

Yeah but.....

Its not 2002. Kurt and Stephen have lived in this modern world where reality shows exist. They both have SOME understanding that there's reason to be suspicious of someone's motives or choices on these types of shows. They know they don't have to marry whoever they pick or really, ever speak to them again. I actually don't think Carolyn is hiding anything significant. Her parents? I heard on Reddit that one doesn't speak english and the other couldn't do the five day quarantine. That seems pretty reasonable to me. Is she hiding something? I dunno but considering how unpleasant I find her personality, I don't think she's faking much.

Honestly though, this show is kind of boring, compared to the original Joe. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, EllaWycliffe said:

Her parents? I heard on Reddit that one doesn't speak english and the other couldn't do the five day quarantine. That seems pretty reasonable to me. Is she hiding something? I dunno but considering how unpleasant I find her personality, I don't think she's faking much.

Ok, well that explains why the parents didn't show up? Assuming she doesn't have any siblings (do you know?), then what about ANY relative? How about an Aunt or an Uncle?  What about a Cousin or a Grandparent?  It was a family-driven exercise and all producers can come up with for Carolyn is one friend??

Friends are nice, but they are NOT family and cannot relate stories from her childhood. Nor can they show where she comes from. It's all kind of suspicious to me, especially since the show didn't address it either, as most reality shows would. For instance, Survivor will definitely say why a family member couldn't make it, and will then say "so we brought your brother here".....

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MsTree said:

Ok, well that explains why the parents didn't show up? Assuming she doesn't have any siblings (do you know?), then what about ANY relative? How about an Aunt or an Uncle?  What about a Cousin or a Grandparent?  It was a family-driven exercise and all producers can come up with for Carolyn is one friend??

I mean, the parents are from the Dominican Republic so there may not be easy access to other family members. There may not be living family members, it happens. Or they may not want to participate on a reality dating show - some people do think these things are classless whore fests. I'd also say that aunts and uncles and cousins aren't always close - if I was on this show, a close personal friend would have far more gossip to dish to the Joes about me than my aunts and uncles and cousins I see once or twice a year.

I don't like Carolyn but I don't think there's anything inherently suspicious about her parents not coming. 

Edited by EllaWycliffe
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, EllaWycliffe said:

I mean, the parents are from the Dominican Republic so there may not be easy access to other family members. There may not be living family members, it happens. Or they may not want to participate on a reality dating show - some people do think these things are classless whore fests. I'd also say that aunts and uncles and cousins aren't always close - if I was on this show, a close personal friend would have far more gossip to dish to the Joes about me than my aunts and uncles and cousins I see once or twice a year.

I don't like Carolyn but I don't think there's anything inherently suspicious about her parents not coming. 

I agree.  Not everyone has a big or close family (emotionally or geographically).  I remember when Melissa’s parents didn’t participate in the Bachelor, fans had all sorts of theories.   But when she was on DWTS, they went to every taping and cheered her on.   Not everyone wants to participate in a reality tv show….or can, especially with the quarantine requirement.

• Love 2

I think by Kurt’s type , the mom is referring to a trophy wife . Of course it’s subjective , but Carolyn is the most attractive girl there . She has a great body and is put together . She has a horrendous personality and is very bland , but a trophy wife doesn’t need to have a wonderful personality , they just have to be hot . 

I think Amanda has a way better personality and is more lighthearted than Carolyn , but she’s not pretty ( opinions vary of course . ) But I think that’s his struggle with Amanda . He likes hanging out with her but he’s not attracted to her . 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jax7917 said:

I think by Kurt’s type , the mom is referring to a trophy wife . Of course it’s subjective , but Carolyn is the most attractive girl there . She has a great body and is put together . She has a horrendous personality and is very bland , but a trophy wife doesn’t need to have a wonderful personality , they just have to be hot . 

I think Amanda has a way better personality and is more lighthearted than Carolyn , but she’s not pretty ( opinions vary of course . ) But I think that’s his struggle with Amanda . He likes hanging out with her but he’s not attracted to her . 

I wonder if it about looks or personality….she’s keeping him guessing and uncertain so she is in control of the relationship.  

• Love 1