Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

Ditto.  I guess Grant is at peace with it, but it sucks since he was destined to become one of the best players ever.  At least IMHO.  Glad he still got into the HOF

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Carey said:

Ditto.  I guess Grant is at peace with it, but it sucks since he was destined to become one of the best players ever.  At least IMHO.  Glad he still got into the HOF

He and Penny Hardaway from that era. Both what-coulda-beens.

But both seem at peace with their disappointing, painful, injury-filled pro careers.

I saw the documentary I Hate Christian Laettner and was a bit surprised to learn that Grant Hill had trouble bonding with the rest of that legendary early 90's Duke roster because he came from a wealthy family and the rest of the team did not. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/3/2022 at 6:28 PM, Lady Whistleup said:

I honestly feel bad for Grant Hill whenever people talk about injuries. It must suck knowing you're pretty much the poster boy for careers being wrecked by ankle injuries.

Yeah. That was pretty tasteless from Nantz. Wasn't it determined he had a congenital issues in both ankles that became apparent in his professional career that required extensive surgery on both ankles?

Despite that he came here to the Suns and delivered some very memorable moments during the mid to late aughts with Nash, Stoudermire, Bell, etc. He rightfully deserved his place in the HOF. He really ended his career on a high note despite what he was dealt.

He was really was the most magnanimous person on the TBS panel last night and it shows what a classy guy he is. 

Edited by DawnDavenport
  • Love 3
(edited)

Just a reminder that tonight's National Championship is on TBS, and not CBS.  Tip time is still scheduled for 9:20 PM EST.  Kansas is favored by 4 over North Carolina.  The over/under is 153.  That is subject to change as that was the line & O/U upon the conclusion of the National Semi-Finals.  The line & totals come to you courtesy of FanDuel.

Honestly, I don't think Nantz meant any true disrespect to Hill.  Sure it was unnecessary, but FWIW, people often poke or have fun with Jim's "Hello Friends" catchphrase.  While it's something he's added and had to open his shows over the past 2 decades, it's him paying tribute to his father.

What's probably different is most people are not aware of his dad's battle and struggle with alzheimer's that ended toward the end of the 2000s, whereas Nantz is clearly aware of Grant's injury history.  All three of those guys who joke around from time to time are classy overall, but yeah, Grant was the "most well-behaved" during the Final Four.

FYI: The ratings & viewership are likely to fall under the 2019 totals; this is the first TBS Tournament Final since the end the last decade.  It probably might trail last year to be honest.  It'll be interesting to see what the totals are following Monday's game; while a lot of people might link that to a Coach K and Duke free National Championship Game, several will come up with that conclusion before looking or remembering what the 2016 & 2018 totals were

Edited by Carey
Official or unofficial Line & Totals
  • Love 3

Grant Hill developed an MRSA infection after an ankle surgery that almost killed him, and set back his recovery a lot. Also ... that 90s basketball style of super-rough fouls and overload on defense tended to burn out bodies quickly. Isiah Thomas was only 33 when he retired. 

I'm predicting Kansas tonight. I feel like Kansas was always going to win over either Duke or UNC.

30 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I'm predicting Kansas tonight. I feel like Kansas was always going to win over either Duke or UNC.

Even though I made predictions (albeit a prediction hedge a.k.a. going against my bracket), I'm picking Kansas as well.  I mean, why not since my bracket finally busted on Saturday!  I actually admire both teams, more UNC than Kansas, but if I'm wrong, then great history gets made.  Nonetheless, barring a surprise the level of Super Bowl 48 or even last year's Tournament Final, it'll be a great game to watch with no stress over needing someone to win in order to win a bracket pool.

6 hours ago, mojoween said:

9:20 is about an hour and a half too late to start a college basketball championship game.

Meh, I think it's not the worst thing.  An 8:50 tip would've been great, especially since it's on TBS and no need to further preempt CBS Monday programming.  Gotta respect Los Angeles though!

Plus, it's easier to be okay with the late start since I've recently started doing what I've done after the Super Bowl.  In other words, I've taken the Tuesday after the National Championship off.  With games lasting over 2 hours + One Shining Moment and then postgame coverage (Inside The Final Four + maybe (SC with SVP)), the need to recover is there.

I guess Greg and Seth bolted early this year.  Whenever TBS has the final weekend, they're at least there for a segment or two, a minute in halftime, and then bail before the start of the second half

It’s interesting to me that Nolan Smith, an assistant, is leaving Duke for Louisville to be … an assistant.  That doesn’t make me feel like Jon Scheyer has a lot of buy in.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It’s interesting to me that Nolan Smith, an assistant, is leaving Duke for Louisville to be … an assistant.  That doesn’t make me feel like Jon Scheyer has a lot of buy in.

I think Smith was only there because of K. 

Many of Duke's players are declaring for the NBA draft. Banchero, Griffin, Williams, Moore going to declare. Can't blame them for going after that bag.

An example of how tiny the world of elite basketball is:  Caleb Love's high school coach was Justin Tatum, Jayson's father.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 1
(edited)

My heart broke for Bacot. Aww. That was very kind of KU to call a timeout to get that guy off the floor. It was a really close game. With that being said: Love is so streaky. My god. He either can't miss or goes ice cold.

Love these close games with such a gritty fight.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

My heart broke for Bacot. Aww. That was very kind of KU to call a timeout to get that guy off the floor. It was a really close game. With that being said: Love is so streaky. My god. He either can't miss or goes ice cold.

Love these close games with such a gritty fight.

That might have been an official timeout, but I didn't see the Kansas TO deduction either.  It was 5 on 4 since they moved away from the half of the court where Bacot went down.  Then when he hopped into the area of play, they had to stop play per protocol.

Sucked to be hurt in the biggest game in college hoops.  Still, what a game!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Carey said:

That might have been an official timeout, but I didn't see the Kansas TO deduction either.  It was 5 on 4 since they moved away from the half of the court where Bacot went down.  Then when he hopped into the area of play, they had to stop play per protocol.

Sucked to be hurt in the biggest game in college hoops.  Still, what a game!

No it was definitely a Kansas TO. Grant Hill was asking why they called a TO instead of playing 5 on 4. But I thought that was a nice gesture to get the poor dude off the court. He's going to need some serious rehab on that ankle.

• Love 1

Good to know.  Thanks.  Total class move by Kansas, especially when either team could win at that point through the end.  Hats off for the kid playing hurt though.  You get that dedication for the Super Bowl whereas in a regular game you'd be on IR or whatever.  This game was the biggest of all for college hoops, and while NIL is a thing, it's still collegiate action, not professional.  Get well, Bacot!

• Love 1

Yeah, that bad play stepping out of bounds would raise some eyebrows, when it was likely they were hitting a 2 possession mark.  FWIW, a live bet on the moneyline for Kansas at the half would've been a better bet.  Well, a better payout.

BTW, I forgot to say last week that there was no part of the history of the universe where I was betting $1700 on anyone to run the table.  Maybe $10, but not a fortune on a Cinderella.  Despite the run, glad that I didn't feel too bad when North Carolina ended things!

I wasn't too worried about Kansas at the half, as their margin of victory was bigger than their deficit.  Wasn't a lock at all, but there was fair optimism.  After all, UNC rolled to build that lead, Kansas could do the same!

• Love 1

That last attempt at a 3 will haunt Caleb Love forever. I hope Bacot’s ankle  is okay, and I hope Manek doesn’t have a concussion. He took some hard blows to the head. If UNC had to lose, I’m glad it was to Kansas and not Duke or Villanova.

• Love 3
(edited)

What a great game.  I have to give props to Kansas for their fight.  I felt very bad for the UNC team at the end.  I think they spent so much energy in the first half that they were just gassed.

Thanks to Kansas for a great comeback, and thanks to UNC for taking out Duke!   They will always have that victory.

The interviews with both coaches got me, with Bill Self mentioning the death of his father and Hubert Davis fighting back tears.  I don't know how Tracey Wolfson does it.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Thanks to Kansas for a great comeback, and thanks to UNC for taking out Duke!   They will always have that victory.

Oh, for sure. I hope after some time passes they look back at this incredible season with a lot of pride, instead of just thinking about the last half of the Championship game where everything unraveled. The two games where they beat Duke will be brought up by UNC fans forever. The announcers will talk about both of those games every single time Duke and UNC play each other.

• Love 3

Next year the Women’s championship game will be on ABC … at 3 in the afternoon.  ESPN has “commitments to entertainment shows the night of the game.”

They would NEVER do this if they still aired the men’s tourney.

• Like 3

So I don’t know if there are any college basketball fans here, but I’m a fan of it and the preseason top 25 has come out - here it is 

1 - North Carolina. 
2 - Gonzaga.  
3 - Houston.  
4 - Kentucky.  
5 - Kansas.  
6 - Baylor. 
7 - Duke. 
8 - UCLA. 
9 - Creighton.  
10 - Arkansas   
11 - Tennessee. 
12 - Texas.   
13 - Indiana. 
14 - TCU.  
15 - Auburn.  
16 - Villanova.   
17 - Arizona.  
18 - Virginia.   
19 - San Diego St
20 - Alabama   
21 - Oregon.  
22 - Michigan.  
23 - Illinois.  
24 - Dayton   
25 - Texas Tech

Season gets started in a couple of weeks. 

42 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Jim Nantz has announced that he will be stepping down from the tourney after next year’s March Madness.  That makes me sad.  He’s not leaving golf and football, just hoops.

Interesting, do you know who will take his place as the lead announcer in March Madness? I have mixed feelings about Nantz - he has a great voice and seems passionate about sports but he can be a major ass kisser at times. 

14 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

This relates to the Federal brouhaha of five years ago.

Wow, four games. Surely Kansas is a beacon of integrity in these troubled times.

"Mitigating factors" are a thing when the NCAA hands its sanctions, so Kansas is probably betting this will be enough to tell the NCAA "we did something" so they don't come down quite as hard as they could. Whether or not it will work is anyone's guess.

(edited)

Patrick Ewing is second only to John Thompson is his importance to Georgetown Hoya basketball. I really hoped that his head coaching stint would work out. But 25 conference losses in a row?

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

What in the Uber Eats was that delivery guy thinking?  You see ten guys and three refs and a basketball, but still think you should walk over where they are?  Did he think one of the *players* ordered McDonald’s?

• Like 1