Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

What in the Uber Eats was that delivery guy thinking?  You see ten guys and three refs and a basketball, but still think you should walk over where they are?  Did he think one of the *players* ordered McDonald’s?

He sounds like one of those people whose GPS would tell them to turn right and to the right would be a cliff and they'd turn right anyway. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

What in the Uber Eats was that delivery guy thinking?  You see ten guys and three refs and a basketball, but still think you should walk over where they are?  Did he think one of the *players* ordered McDonald’s?

He did it on a dare or for the memes.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

Just saw a report that it apparently was a prank.  Can we not have anything fun and spontaneous any more?

No, for all anyone knew there was a gun in the bag and he'd start shooting, the way things have been lately. It would have to be a small gun.

ITA re: NBC 3-Way booth.  In the sport you have the current ones (current lineup) for the college game & the NBA.  All time (all of sports) you have the classic one for MNF, but Packer & company were phenomenal.

Probably wishful thinking prior to his passing, but I was hoping he'd been able to make an appearance or tape a tribute to Nantz as the latter is calling it quits for the dance.

Back to the games: just a couple picks, including Gonzaga, KSU, Purdue, and I went ISU elsewhere since they're tough at home in the deepest conference in the sport.

I'll go UNC outright and the over.  That way Duke can finally beat them and I can be wrong with yet another pick

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

North Carolina at Duke. Hubert Davis vs John Scheyer.

It feels weird.

Holly Rowe, who has decades of experience interviewing coaches, says to Scheyer: (paraphrasing mostly) "you have been involved in a lot of these games, but tell us what is different about being the headcoach in a NC/Duke game?"  Me: um, being a head coach?

🙄

It wasn't a great question, but it's not a big deal.  I didn't have a problem with it, but maybe Holly could've phrased it differently.  Maybe a question of replacing a legend in general, not just in Duke/UNC

I guess I was rooting for him to stick around.  But for only ONE reason.  Getting to 50 wins.  That's the only reason.

That's not a very good reason; it's time for him to go, period

Hazing in 2023.  There is a saying that people all have to be better.  However some people opt out.  So, serves people right when discipline follows.  Tons of things have consequences, but this is/was an easy one to avoid.

Back to college basketball.  As in stuff that's directed toward the 2023 National Champion: With Selection Sunday 3 weeks from tomorrow (as of this post), ESPN is pondering the chance of perfect attendance for the Big XII as it relates to the upcoming NCAA Tournament.

Speaking of the "dance" CBS is slated to release the Top 16 and possibly the field of 64/68 (if the Selection Show were to be held today instead of 22 days from now).  That's in about a couple of hours

• Useful 1

When does hazing become sexual assault?

Dickie V is calling the Duke/Cuse game tonight and within the first five minutes he’s had to clear his throat multiple times.  I hope it’s just because it is hot in the Dome and his health is ok.

37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When does hazing become sexual assault?

Dickie V is calling the Duke/Cuse game tonight and within the first five minutes he’s had to clear his throat multiple times.  I hope it’s just because it is hot in the Dome and his health is ok.

He's done the same in other games too

I don’t understand how Brandon Miller is not suspended while the investigation plays out and I don’t understand how he is playing ball like nothing happened.

Oh wait, I know.  In the words of a college hoops analyst, “he’s the best player on the floor”.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don’t understand how Brandon Miller is not suspended while the investigation plays out and I don’t understand how he is playing ball like nothing happened.

Oh wait, I know.  In the words of a college hoops analyst, “he’s the best player on the floor”.

I agree he should not be there, but I think I'd be annoyed if he got pulled right before the postseason.  If he's lasted this long, I don't think they can get him out barring something significant that could turn up around a month from now if not sooner.  I guess they feel they can wait until after the season ends as this might be a situation that might not be resolved for some time.

The reason why I'd be unhappy is because others would suffer.  However, and IMO, that's on the school for not sitting him indefinitely to avoid distraction.  Nobody's better than the sport.  There was a case against a PITT player that I think was resolved, but there was just too much to take a chance, and the AD & company were all like, "Nope.  No chance you're playing right now."

On 2/23/2023 at 8:49 AM, Carey said:
On 2/23/2023 at 5:47 AM, mojoween said:

I agree he should not be there, but I think I'd be annoyed if he got pulled right before the postseason.  If he's lasted this long, I don't think they can get him out barring something significant that could turn up around a month from now if not sooner.  I guess they feel they can wait until after the season ends as this might be a situation that might not be resolved for some time.

The reason why I'd be unhappy is because others would suffer.  However, and IMO, that's on the school for not sitting him indefinitely to avoid distraction.  Nobody's better than the sport.  There was a case against a PITT player that I think was resolved, but there was just too much to take a chance, and the AD & company were all like, "Nope.  No chance you're playing right now."

I don't see why Brandon Miller shouldn't be playing right now. If there was a time to suspend him, it was right after the incident while the investigation was ongoing. Now, with the DA coming out and saying that there's nothing they can charge him with and the fact that he is viewed as a witness and not a suspect or co-conspirator, why should he be pulled now? 

I also think the way the media has reported on this story this past week has been horrid. Just straight up lies and vagueness passing as "journalism."

• Like 2
12 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Just straight up lies and vagueness passing as "journalism."

post-millennials-go-first-social-media-news

In her study, Rebecca C. Nee from the San Diego State University in California explores how the post-millennial generation navigates today’s digital media landscape. She finds that social media platforms are the first news source for this younger generation. While these consumers move away from Facebook and Twitter, the study says that they would still follow news stories on visual platforms like Instagram or Snapchat if the content is visually engaging.

The fallout when your target demo just wants to look at the pictures.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Useful 1
12 hours ago, PepSinger said:

I don't see why Brandon Miller shouldn't be playing right now. If there was a time to suspend him, it was right after the incident while the investigation was ongoing. Now, with the DA coming out and saying that there's nothing they can charge him with and the fact that he is viewed as a witness and not a suspect or co-conspirator, why should he be pulled now? 

I also think the way the media has reported on this story this past week has been horrid. Just straight up lies and vagueness passing as "journalism."

Because there should be a higher standard to play on a team than just 'we'll no law was broken and he isn't charged'.  

Whether he broke the law or not he pretty clearly willfully contributed to a murder. 

I'm not surprised he is still playing or that Alabama is just ignoring it.  But that doesn't make it the right decision.  

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Whether he broke the law or not he pretty clearly willfully contributed to a murder. 

No, he didn’t. If you read the facts that came out after the media blatantly lied, he did not willfully contribute to a murder. He was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles texted him about the gun. Even if he had seen the text prior to arriving, returning a gun to its legal owner isn’t illegal, especially given that he had no idea what transpired in his absence. Intent matters when assessing whether criminal charges should apply.

5 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

No, he didn’t. If you read the facts that came out after the media blatantly lied, he did not willfully contribute to a murder. He was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles texted him about the gun. Even if he had seen the text prior to arriving, returning a gun to its legal owner isn’t illegal, especially given that he had no idea what transpired in his absence. Intent matters when assessing whether criminal charges should apply.

That's his claim that he didn't see the text.  I don't believe that. 

And again not about llegality.he was sent a text saying his friend needed his gun, he arrives with the gun and his friend shoots and kills someone. I have a hard time believing it's a a coincidence he was just caught up in.  

You can believe otherwise and rant about media lies but most non Alabama fans aren't buying it. The university and him are purposely trying to stay out of it and hiding behind legality as an excuse for looking the other way as if nothing happened.  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And again not about llegality.he was sent a text saying his friend needed his gun, he arrives with the gun and his friend shoots and kills someone. I have a hard time believing it's a a coincidence he was just caught up in.  

No, that is not what happened. Miles grabbed his gun from Miller’s car. Miles handed his gun to his cousin, the actual shooter. That’s why Miles is being charged with “aiding and abetting” and not Miller. And again, he was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles sent the text. 

6 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

You can believe otherwise and rant about media lies but most non Alabama fans aren't buying it.

The operative phrase there is “non-Alabama fans.” I barely heard a peep from anyone when this initially happened, and it seems that non-Alabama fans also have their own reasons for not buying what the TPD and DA have already said because it sure would be helpful if Miller wasn’t playing basketball.

Edited by PepSinger

Regardless of this case and whatever side someone is on plus those with no care/opinion, Brandon Miller’s entrance skit on Saturday did not need to take place.  Yeah, it’s safe to say that isn’t really a good look.  At the end of the day, if I had to guess, nothing big happens to the Alabama star, but maybe don’t do that (especially) while the case is happening.

In terms of happenings, as in on the court: March has arrived early.  Which happens annually.  To be more specific, a couple buzzer beaters, courtesy of irrelevant road teams at the expense of a couple Top 10 15 teams.  Doesn’t help that both games featured the top rivals facing each other!

Miami’s loss changes nothing, and Florida State will still have to win the ACC Tournament in order to go dancing.  Arizona’s loss maybe could bump them to 3 with others below taking advantage of the upset.  Arizona State probably still has to win the Pac 12 tourney, but they’re in a better spot than FSU (I think). We’ll see if they get votes, jump others, and enter a first/next four out spot.  They’re a 20-win team that’s fourth in their conference

ETA: Miami actually is outside of the AP Top 10.  Virginia from the same conference is (at least until Monday).  UVA lost as well (to UNC) though on the road against a bubble team & by way more than one point

Edited by Carey
Edited since Virginia & not Miami was the ACC's Top 10 Team
2 hours ago, Carey said:

Regardless of this case and whatever side someone is on plus those with no care/opinion, Brandon Miller’s entrance skit on Saturday did not need to take place.  Yeah, it’s safe to say that isn’t really a good look.  At the end of the day, if I had to guess, nothing big happens to the Alabama star, but maybe don’t do that (especially) while the case is happening.

Yeah, so is Brandon Miller trying to prove he's oblivious, a moron, or an asshole?  None of which means he's guilty of a crime, but still.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:15 PM, PepSinger said:

No, that is not what happened. Miles grabbed his gun from Miller’s car. Miles handed his gun to his cousin, the actual shooter. That’s why Miles is being charged with “aiding and abetting” and not Miller. And again, he was already on his way to pick up Miles when Miles sent the text. 

The operative phrase there is “non-Alabama fans.” I barely heard a peep from anyone when this initially happened, and it seems that non-Alabama fans also have their own reasons for not buying what the TPD and DA have already said because it sure would be helpful if Miller wasn’t playing basketball.

Come on you're splitting hairs.  He drove a gun to the sight of a crime scene where someone was killed. He was sent a text beforehand stating one of the people involved needed his gun. Can't prove he saw the text so that's what saves him.  

Whether he was already on his way when that text was sent does not matter.  If he saw the text and kept driving is no different than getting the text and then driving there.  He should have known something could happen. And it wasn't just a 'oh hey did I leave my gun in your car' ? I can't find the exact quote but was pretty clear he needed the gun and had plans to use it.

And there is the fact alabama had no idea about this text until earlier this week.  Which mean they asked him little said 'we don't want to know' and planned to do nothing until forced to do so.  

I'm an Indiana fan and its unlikely they face alabama this year. If they meet in the tourney will be late rounds I'll be happy to make it that far let alone win. And miller Even if he doesn't play now it's hurts him not one bit.  He's going to the NBA will be a lottery pick and will face no legal consequences from this whether he finishes the season or not.  My opinion has nothing to do with wanting any easier match ups.  

But sure it's everyone else that's biased and alabama fans that are not. 

And the only reporting bias I see is over if his car blocked the other vehicle (it didnt)  and if he saw the text or not which again can't prove he saw it, he was alone.  

I actually don't care about his intro thing.  He shouldn't do it but I've been watching kids in high school and college do it for years, everywhere. He didn't come up with it. Just copying everyone. 

• Like 2
(edited)

On 2/26/2023 at 9:35 PM, PepSinger said:

It wasn’t a crime scene when he arrived since the crime happened later.

While he drove it there, he didn't know it was in the car.

As for today's games; there are huge postseason implications.

A couple of picksTexas A&M, Kansas, Miami, UCLA, and UNC

ETA A couple more picks: Kentucky over Arkansas & Oregon over Stanford

Edited by Carey

Here are the most recent rankings.  Sorry I'm late with those, as they'll be changing in 2 days.  Though they're not as important in College Hoops as they are in College Football.  Actually they're not even that big of a deal in CFB on an AP level (in the second half), where it's still a rankings but one off of the views of about a dozen people.

It's all about "Bracketology" for College Hoops.  Here are a couple including one from Jerry Palm & Joe Lunardi.  FYI, the former might require a subscription or for a viewer to disable one's Ad Block service.  As for the latter, you'll have to navigate to get a better grasp there  The main stuff are the Top 16, the last byes, the last four in, the first four out, and the second four out.

The first bid in the 2023 Men's NCAA Tournament will be decided tonight.  Well, TBH, people know of several teams that will be dancing in a couple weeks, but none of them are official until one week from today (03.12.23) unless they win their conference tournament in advance.  The two finalists (Tennessee Tech vs. Southeast Missouri State) in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament will have to win tonight's game if they want to be one of 68 teams vying for the 2023 National Championship

(edited)
21 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Congrats to SEMO! They won four games in four days to win the conference title and their first ticket to the dance in 12 years. 

I just read an ESPN article that they haven't been to the dance since 2000.  Tennesse Tech hasn't been to the dance since 1963.

And congrats to Kennesaw State for their 1st trip there!

Edited by Crashcourse
Should be 1963, not 1983 for Tennesse Tech
  • Like 1
(edited)

I misheard the beginning of the story about Kennesaw State on SportsCenter All Night and thought they were saying that *this year* they had 1 win and won the conference tourney, and man was it disappointing to find out that’s not true.

Edited by mojoween
(edited)

Until recently (as in years not seconds), I never thought we'd be seeing Syracuse hoops sans Jim Boeheim. On the other hand, I didn't think he'd outlast Coach Mike Krzyzewski

Edited by Carey
Edited because sentences begin with capital letters
(edited)

This is wonderful news, I could never stand Boeheim.  Always found him pretty detestable, even going back to when I was a little kid and Jimmy Carter was in the White House.

Edited by Mean Machine
  • Like 2

So I have Kansas & Duke winning their Big XII and ACC semis, respectively.  I would have had Connecticut winning but they already started.

Then I have Xavier, Texas & Virginia winning the second half to finalize Saturday's Conference Tournament Finals.

Pac-12 Action, IMO should conclude with UCLA and Arizona State winning to produce a nice West Coast College Hoops final to take a Tourney bid decision out of the committee's hands.  It's so fun when someone controls their own destiny

Well, it took Mike Krzyzewski not being the Duke HC for Furman to make it into the NCAA Tournament!

In an attempt to go 0-2 in B1G games without trying not to, I'll go with Purdue and Penn State for the win. For SEC games, I'll go with Alabama & Texas A&M, and for A-10: VCU and Dayton

ETA: Memphis & Houston for the win in their AAC games

Edited by Carey
Edited to add game picks

Hard to believe that March Madness is almost here!  Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're not even 4 weeks removed from the Super Bowl.

Half of the automatic bids have been claimed, and all but 5 will be claimed before the night is over.  Here are some of the key games:

Big XII Championship
Kansas/Texas
Kansas 1.5
O/U is 141.5

Big East Championship
Xavier/Marquette
Marquette 2.5
O/U 153.5

Atlantic Coast Conference Championship
Duke vs Virginia
Duke 2.5
O/U 123.5

Pacific 12 Championship
Arizona vs UCLA
UCLA 1.5
O/U 147.5

I think I'll go with Duke, UCLA, Kansas & Texas.  Though UCLA & Texas for the win might be a bit tricky.

Purdue & Alabama have advanced to their respective conference tournament final.  Neither need to win it in order to clinch an NCAA Tournament bid, but they both might want to in order to have a case to deny Houston for the overall top seed

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:
20 hours ago, Carey said:

Well, it took Mike Krzyzewski not being the Duke HC for Furman to make it into the NCAA Tournament!

I'm not understanding the correlation. 

It's a joke.  However, there is a correlation, and in all fairness, I might as well mention it.

Furman is going to its first NCAA Tournament in over 4 decades.  Their last appearance 43 years ago occurred about a couple weeks before Coach K became the Blue Devils head coach.

Furman is a SoCon school.  That probably helps with the drought.  To be honest, this is not much more than a coincidence, but it is a fact.

So I went 1-3 in championship games; was only right with Duke.  They are playing some awesome hoops right now.  Probably would've been among the top teams had it not been for their early struggles.

I'll try to do better today, though I did manage to go 8-0 in Saturday's semi final games!

Edited by Carey
Edited to add a mention of Saturday's results

The Sunday picks for the final game before the Selection Show:

Ivy League Championshiop
Princeton vs Yale
Yale favored by 3.5
Over/Under is 138.5

Southeastern Conference Championship
Texas A&M vs Alabama
Alabama favored by 5.5
Over/Under is 146.5

Atlantic 10 Conference Championship
Dayton vs VCU
VCU favored by 1.5
Over/Under is 124.5

American Athletic Conference Championship
Memphis vs Houston
Houston favored by 5.5
Over/Under is 135.5

Big Ten Championship
Penn State vs Purdue
Purdue favored by 7.5
Over/Under is 134.5

Yale, Alabama, Dayton, Memphis, and Purdue for the win outright.  I like PSU and A&M to cover (I can see the former winning outright though, while the history for the latter is more football-related, I believe).

I think the over hits for every game except the Ivy League & the American

27 schools are officially in.  There are about 20 more that are definitely in, but not official until six hours from now.  Five of the 10 schools mentioned above & playing today will be made official before 6:00 PM Eastern.

Alabama had “an incident”.  Greg Gumbel, shut, and I cannot stress this enough, the fuck up.

With that said, I’m still watching a bunch of names get put on a bunch of lines and enjoying it.  Does CBS ever put out the ratings for this?

• Like 2