Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

The Chapel Hill Police Scanner AND the Durham Police Scanner will be must listen to material on both Saturday AND Monday.  Similar to the Lexington Police Scanner a decade ago

Congrats to St Peter’s on a magical run!  

As a nearby resident to the Triangle (I live abt an hour away), I guess I’m rooting for Duke for Coach K.  I’m not a native, so I didn’t grow up with any biases to either team.

I live in Charlotte but not from here.  Duke carolina is the dream match up for everyone especially in coach Ks last season. 

I generally prefer carolina and don't care fir Duke but have friends who are Duke grads, many who are carolina grads. plus Wendell Moore graduated from my son's high school. He got to meet him has come back for some high school games, my son started playing for the hugh school the year after he graduated.  I can live with it either way. 

As long as Coack k doesn't pull a brady and say 'I'm coming back'!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

It is a bummer that the last two games (well half of Duke/Arkansas too) of the Elite Eight were SO non-competitive.  I could be misremembering but I don’t recall watching very many blowouts this year.

I'm a Carolina grad, my husband went to Duke.  He has already started apologizing for his future behavior on Saturday night!  LOL

We won the title my freshman year.  There were bonfires on Franklin Street.  I found my roommate climbing up a light pole completely wasted.  It was insane.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It is a bummer that the last two games (well half of Duke/Arkansas too) of the Elite Eight were SO non-competitive.  I could be misremembering but I don’t recall watching very many blowouts this year.

Miami led Kansas by 7 or 8 at the half of their game. Kansas just played flawlessly in the second half. The UNC/St. Peters game was never in doubt though.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Who's UNS? LOL
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Miami led Kansas by 7 or 8 at the half of their game. Kansas just played flawlessly in the second half. The UNC/St. Peters game was never in doubt though.

Yet the st Peter's coach said they played poorly and relr like they would win if they played again. 

You're a good team that got hot at the right time, everyone loves your story. 

But no one who saw the carolina game would believe you just had a bad game and a rematch would turn out different.

Take you 15 minutes and move on. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73

IMO, the big thing he errored on here (and really it isn't that big) is if he's such a big fan, then how are you scheduling a concert opposite the Final Four

11 minutes ago, Carey said:

IMO, the big thing he errored on here (and really it isn't that big) is if he's such a big fan, then how are you scheduling a concert opposite the Final Four

I guess he wasn’t expecting those two teams to be playing against each other in the final four.  Never has happened before.  Maybe, once in a lifetime event.  I think I might just record it and watch it as soon as I got off the stage…..making sure no one around me told scores beforehand.  It’s not the same as being live though.  

• Love 2

The LSU men lost all of their players.

LSU fired Will Wade on March 12 after the school received an NCAA notice of allegations detailing seven Level I violation allegations in the men's basketball program. In the three weeks since Wade's departure, 11 players have entered the transfer portal, two players left for the NBA draft and all four commitments in the 2022 and 2023 classes reopened their recruitments.

Man, I think tonight's a night for a historic prediction-hedge!

On another note, nothing against Stanford, but I'm glad Connecticut won last night.  That was a very good game, and down to the end too.  I wasn't worried for South Carolina taking care of Louisville; I think they'll get it on Sunday.  It would be nice to see UConn win again though.  The good news for Paige Bueckers is her team got to the point where there isn't a blemish at all.  That's in addition to being rather elite!

1 minute ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Duke v UNC will be CRAZY. 

That's the plan.  It was crazy just seeing the teams walk in side by side just 5 minutes ago!

• Love 1

Great game! Even if UNC doesn't win the championship, Hubert Davis ruining Coach K's final regular season game and defeating them in the Final Four must mean serious talks are underway to build a statue of Davis in Chapel Hill.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

No reason to watch that shit-ass trash on Monday, guess I’ll be able to catch up on some sleep.

I know I’m the only one hurting, but FUCK ME.

Hey, I refrained from using any number of epithets for K. I could spare that much respect for the team I despise more than any other in any sport. 😁

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

No reason to watch that shit-ass trash on Monday, guess I’ll be able to catch up on some sleep.

I know I’m the only one hurting, but FUCK ME.

Fair enough.  You might actually dream of a Kansas win at the buzzer and then find out it was three things: A dream, reality, and a nod to the 2016 Tournament Final

• Love 1

I didn't get around to posting about wanting a good game.  I don't have any favorites between North Carolina & Duke.  I tend to lean UNC more than Duke; the former had the real GOAT, and the other had the best coach in this era, one that exceeded expectations more than anyone else.  Plus, I had family that went to Duke.  Ditto North Carolina, but more distant & in-laws etc.

Tonight's game is the first time in a long time, probably ever, that I considered forgoing the art of filling out a bracket and/or picking the games.

The reason why I might not predict for the sake of it is that it can be so much fun watching a game for the glory, with nothing on the line.

My mention of a prediction hedge was basically how I did a rare switch from an earlier prediction.  I went with Kansas and UNC in the Tournament Final within the opportunity of picking games the day of (or before) gameday.  I had Duke and Villanova as my final two in my bracket.  Most times, there are no reasons to go against what you pick in one's bracket; didn't think both of my final two would advance this far.  There was optimism, but mild as there were no clear favorites.  So, whatever happened: I would've been correct with my bracket pick OR with my daily selection.  New info that transpired through March Madness changes/changed things (i.e. North Carolina playing like a One Seed, Moore's injury/Kansas's best players out of their slump)

Now, I have to pick Monday's winner without a petty hedge.  I'm watching, but while Duke haters might drink until their fall all night long, I think I'd blame the media on all the Duke hype before Coach K (even though Mike announced it off season, unlike Roy Williams)

14 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Coach K did give a classy interview:

Classy? I think it's the same sour puss interview he always gives when he losses. I hope his retirement dreams are forever haunted by this loss and the one in Cameron. 

Growing up in NC, UNC has always been my team and Coach K. has always rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Love 5

Another North Carolinian here.  The schadenfraude I’m feeling tonight over Duke’s loss is going to power me for the next 4 weeks.  Sorry, not sorry.  😁

It was a genuinely great game.  I can’t believe what an all-time classic it was.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Coach K did give a classy interview:

Classy?  More like standard.  What was he supposed to say, I'd be cutting down nets if my players had played just a little bit better?  It doesn't change the fact that he'll always be on the Mount Rushmore of college coaches.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mean Machine said:

Carolina's got bragging rights over Duke forever now.

THIS IS WHY I’LL NEVER GET OVER THIS

Carolina could get run out of the building on Monday…and they won’t care.  They shut the door on K TWICE in a month.  That’s what they are going to dream about forever.

Also that discount Tormund that Carolina has makes me irrationally angry.  

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, cambridgeguy said:

Classy?  More like standard.  What was he supposed to say, I'd be cutting down nets if my players had played just a little bit better?  It doesn't change the fact that he'll always be on the Mount Rushmore of college coaches.

That is basically what he said when he lost his last game at Cameron! Like his players didn’t feel bad enough!

I saw a clip of him telling Armando Bacot that he hopes his ankle is okay and he was his Player of the Year. That was a classy thing to say, and he didn’t have to say it. That warmed even my heart, and I hate Duke.

5 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

Another North Carolinian here.  The schadenfraude I’m feeling tonight over Duke’s loss is going to power me for the next 4 weeks.  Sorry, not sorry.  😁

Just 4 weeks? More like forever!

UNC needs to win one more!

I’m cheering for both Carolinas. In 2017 South Carolina won the women’s title and UNC won the men’s title. I hope there’s a repeat of that.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

I’m cheering for both Carolinas. In 2017 South Carolina won the women’s title and UNC won the men’s title. I hope there’s a repeat of that.

That would be pretty nice.  The landmark 5-year anniversary of both winning.  However, and TBH, I would not lose any sleep if there's a 2016 repeat of that year's events (UCONN winning yet another title + UNC tying it with seconds left but they're unable to carry that tie into overtime after the clock expires)

Both the men's and women's title games should (or could) be great.  I think South Carolina will end a historic streak, but in terms of rooting interest, I'm more toward Connecticut.  However, I don't have a clear favorite.  Ditto with Kansas & North Carolina.  Either team winning would be great for me.  Kansas has been great, but they're sorta due for another championship.  Naturally, in the only year of the Top Seed exclusive Final Four, they took care of the Tar Heels without struggle, before needing extra time to beat Cal and Memphis, but after escaping "Cinderella" Davidson + Steph.

Coach Cal got his revenge, and I can see UNC doing the same.  Plus, like that 2007-2008 Jayhawks team, North Carolina knocked off a streaking "Cinderella" tough I think they definitely would have topped Coach Cal and Kentucky, which sorta should've been that Regional final matchup

2 hours ago, Carey said:

However, and TBH, I would not lose any sleep if there's a 2016 repeat of that year's events (UCONN winning yet another title + UNC tying it with seconds left but they're unable to carry that tie into overtime after the clock expires)

Don’t even put that into the universe! I will never get over that. Last night when Caleb Love hit that 3 the announcers said if UNC won that would go down as one of the best shots in Carolina History. That’s what we all thought about Marcus Paige’s shot in 2016, only to have our hearts broken 4 seconds later.

• Love 2
(edited)

Meh Coach K doesn't bother me. I'm sure he has an ego and is a bit of a jerk, but not more so than any other major coach. He's not (IMO) loathsome. He's not like Bobby Knight or Bela Karolyi.

His players (former and current) seem to really love him, and that's all that matters. Also, Duke has run a pretty clean program without the academic jiggering of, say, North Carolina.

Also, if I were an NBA GM I'd definitely take Banchero over Holmgren. Holmgren just doesn't seem NBA ready while Banchero does.

Edited by Lady Whistleup
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

The only credit I'll give to coach K is when he shook hands with the Carolina players while his whiny baby players didn't and just walked off the court. 

Wendell Moore did shake hands, but he was the only one. He’s a North Carolinian and played with Leaky Black in high school, so he probably has at least some respect for the UNC team.
At the last Cameron game Duke’s cheer sheet (insert eye roll) said to chant “Wendell’s better” when Leaky was shooting foul shots. It’s funny to think about now! Duke fans got what they deserve last night.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Lady Whistleup said:

One part of the broadcast that made me laugh: Jim Nantz said to Grant Hill when Bacot rolled his ankle: "Grant, you're an expert on ankles so ..."

Heh.

And? Then you have Raft, saying, "A little shot. It's not even the Oscars."  That was in reference to a UNC player getting hit in the face.

Such a blessing to have a Day One fellow in Bill Raferty.  Clark Kellogg, total class, doesn't ever say that.  Billy Packer might not have the class, but he wouldn't have done it either.  Just typical stuff from the Coach whenever possible

7 minutes ago, Carey said:

And? Then you have Raft, saying, "A little shot. It's not even the Oscars."  That was in reference to a UNC player getting hit in the face.

Such a blessing to have a Day One fellow in Bill Raferty.  Clark Kellogg, total class, doesn't ever say that.  Billy Packer might not have the class, but he wouldn't have done it either.  Just typical stuff from the Coach whenever possible

I honestly feel bad for Grant Hill whenever people talk about injuries. It must suck knowing you're pretty much the poster boy for careers being wrecked by ankle injuries.

• Love 1