Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

I hope not.  Actually, I'm neutral for this weekend at the latest.  Unless a Cinderella wins out, I'm okay with seeing teams that actually can win the tournament.  I'm pretty certain that no one wants to see the hoops version of Georgia/TCU.

Saturday Picks (Round of 32):

Furman
Duke
Kansas
Princeton
Houston
Penn State
UCLA
Alabama

Duke lost today. HA HA HA!!! Can Arkansas hopefully finish the job on Kansas?

Edit - Yes they can! 72-71. 

The more upsets that we can get. The better. Hopefully, Alabama (tonight) and/or Kentucky (tomorrow) will be next to be gone.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, Magog said:

Duke lost today. HA HA HA!!! Can Arkansas hopefully finish the job on Kansas?

Edit - Yes they can! 72-71. 

The more upsets that we can get. The better. Hopefully, Alabama (tonight) and/or Kentucky (tomorrow) will be next to be gone.

I would've responded with "100%" but I don't see any quotes of "Penn State better lose tonight!"

Not sure about Alabama going down, but assuming they survive, their next game is not going to be easy.  I don't care about sports trending toward offense.  If someone excels in defense (and is a program that excels during in-game adjustment), that is what makes programs walk away with the championship

4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Well Penn State lost. Happy now? 

I am, because that was my prediction. 😀

Happier than you...because I picked them...to jinx them (tm) LOL!

• LOL 1
11 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I've got Northwestern beating UCLA. Anyone with me? 😀

In my main bracket, I actually had UCLA losing in the second round, but to Boise State.  The latter didn't win on Thursday (rather tough pick), so I changed my mind as it related to the Bruins fate.

So I went completely winless as it relates to the CBS slate.  0-4 with Furman, Duke, Kansas, and Penn State all losing to SDSU, Tennessee, Arkansas & Texas, respectively.  The Duke and Kansas falls were rather painful, PSU & Texas was a coin flip, and Furman was "supposed to lose" meaning they were up against a great team in San Diego State (and their defense).

I did think of moving off of my bracket, something I hardly do (IIRC I did last year & was correct in doing so).  I had Furman advancing to the Sweet 16, but only off of a win against Charleston.  Except Charleston couldn't knock off San Diego State.  I should've picked SDSU, but given the abundance of upsets in grand fashion, I chose to hold firm (and I was wrong big time).

Duke was tough since they ran over everybody including & especially Pittsburgh, who has looked very good this year until their slump, which preceding a return to dominating great teams (Iowa State).  They suffered an injury & they are a different team when not at full strength.  Kansas was missing their HC.  However, Arkansas is very good & might've escaped even if Bill Self was on the sidelines.

Princeton just has that feel that their not here to win one game, so that pick wasn't too hard.  Alabama continues to look like the team to beat.  UCLA might be underrated but they're managing without Jayden Clark.

PITT still has a game to play to open up Sunday's action, but in the event that they get the job done: Texas denied some viewers of an all Pennsylvania matchup with their win over Penn State, who denied some viewers of an all Texas matchup (could've been Texas A&M vs the Longhorns).  PSU has come a long way.  Should be interesting what's next for them in 2023-2024, but 4 of their starting 5 were seniors.  So experienced veterans might not be a thing for them next season.

Despite my predictions for CBS, I went undefeated (4-0) for my picks on the Turner networks.  Final day of hoops until a 3-day break before things resume on Thursday!

Sunday Picks (Round of 32):

Xavier
Kentucky
Michigan State
Connecticut
Baylor
FDU
Indiana
Gonzaga

In my main bracket, I believe I had Baylor & Kentucky losing, but to the teams that didn't make it to the weekend.  Thought of sticking to Baylor still losing, but nah.

Game times & the networks are the same as Saturday.  For the most part.  The only difference is that the final TruTV one replaces what would've been the 4th game on CBS.  The network has to have 60 Minutes as it's Sunday

Here comes information as it relates to the Regionals.

Thursday, 03.23.23

Michigan State vs Kansas State
6:30 on TBS
Arkansas vs Connecticut 
7:15 on CBS
FAU vs Tennessee
9:00 on TBS*
Gonzaga vs UCLA 
9:45 on CBS*

Friday, 03.24.23

San Diego State vs Alabama
6:30 on TBS
Miami vs Houston
7:15 on CBS
Princeton vs Creighton
9:00 on TBS*
Xavier vs Texas
9:45 on CBS*

All times are EST

I was thinking about UCLA & Gonzaga over the weekend (and even upon the revelation of the bracket).  It's been 17 years since that historic game in favor of UCLA & at the expense of Gonzaga.  While it didn't need to fall on the exact date in 2006, that's what's happening (FYI, you can use a 2006 calendar in this calendar year of 2023).  We'll see if the Bruins repeat history on another March 23rd or if Gonzaga will continue with their pursuit of unfinished business.

Texas/Xavier is another matchup from the past (as mentioned elsewhere).  33 years ago the Longhorns were on the winning side.

* Tip times are approximate; dependent on the conclusion of the first game at the same venue as it relates to when the first game ends

Edited by Carey
Edited to remove excessive spacing

In my main bracket, it's not very good.  Arizona hurt big time, Duke losing was not cool either.  Fortunately Gonzaga is still around, but it'll come down to the infamous UCLA/Gonzaga game.  As long as Houston doesn't lose I'll be okay.

Fortunately I got several things correct as has been the case over the years to make up for the future points I'd miss out on.  Helps to be correct in several upsets including UVA/Furman.  I was incorrect with Purdue/FDU by it really doesn't matter since I didn't have Purdue winning more than 2 games.  So that's 3 points I'm not getting since a Sweet 16 loss would max out at 3 (instead of 7 minimum had I picked the Boilermakers to the Regional Final & they got there.  If I lose by a couple points more of less oh well.  There are several ways to succeed, earn points, and win.

My chalky bracket (nothing but the low seeds as in low in number, not prestige) is bailing me out as always.  To a lesser extent though no thanks to Arizona, Kansas, and Purdue.  That's not to say Alabama & Houston (Final 2) will survive into end city; you just don't want them losing so early.

Last year I had Duke & Villanova in my Tournament Final.  It didn't work out, but it was great to survive with a chance to win all the way until the Final Four.

The smaller the field, the better, especially with 1-2 brackets.  For a super-large field, you'll probably need several dozen or hundred since you'd have go perfect within the Final 4, possibly Elite 8 if not the correct 7 of 8, and at least 13-14 in the Sweet 16

21 hours ago, LexieLily said:

How's everyone's brackets doing? I've got three of my Final Four teams left (Houston, Alabama, UCLA) and both of my championship-round teams. Woo.

I've got three of four still alive, but I lost my champion with Marquette.

I'm pretty sure I'm mathematically eliminated at this point because two of my other final four teams are Alabama and Houston. As those were chalk picks, everybody else gets the same points I do if they advance. 

Record Ratings for March Madness (over 9 Million on average)

The Michigan State & Marquette helped aid that total with over 10 Million Viewers.

Speaking of Michigan State, apparently they were underdogs early over Kansas State.  I must have blinked since I never saw it, though they are the higher seed.  That's not an easy game to predict.  Nor will the other seven (for the most part)....

Thursday 03.23.23

Michigan State vs Kansas State
Michigan State favored by 1.5
Over/Under 137.5
KSU & Under

Arkansas vs Connecticut 
Connecticut favored by 3.5
Over/Under 139.5
Arkansas & Over

FAU vs Tennessee
Tennessee favored by 4.5
Over/Under 130.5
FAU & under

Gonzaga vs UCLA 
UCLA favored by 2.5
Over/Under 145.5
Gonzaga outright (over hits)

Friday 03.24.23

San Diego State vs Alabama
Alabama favored by 7.5
Over/Under 135.5
SDSU & under

Miami vs Houston
Houston favored by 6.5
Over/Under 137.5
Houston covers & over hits

Princeton vs Creighton
Creighton favored by 9.5
Over/Under 141.5
Princeton & under

Xavier vs Texas
Texas favored by 3.5
Over/Under 147.5
Xavier wins outright & over hits

Straight up, I'll go: Michigan State, Connecticut, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Alabama, Creighton, Houston, Xavier

The FanDuel numbers are from earlier in the week, but not much has changed, even with UCLA & Gonzaga's "rubber match" (2006, 2021) with key Bruins players not really available

6 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I've got three of four still alive, but I lost my champion with Marquette.

I'm pretty sure I'm mathematically eliminated at this point because two of my other final four teams are Alabama and Houston. As those were chalk picks, everybody else gets the same points I do if they advance. 

I think I'm definitely out in terms of my best bracket.  Someone I was leading against by one took over from me by one after identical performances, but I had a better Thursday/Friday.  Any ground I can gain is covered by the one person that has a lead over me.

As for my real bracket, there's still a chance, but not much of one.  I have to have Gonzaga get to Houston (Final Four venue), and I can't have Alabama getting to Houston. (end city)  Finally, I would need for Houston to win out

17 minutes ago, PurpleGirl43 said:

Cats, baby!!

You told me to pick whoever was playing KSU.  I sorta did or didn't.  Almost let you down.  I picked Sparty to win, but Kansas State to cover.  Tough game to pick.  It's sad Izzo is done, but great that K Johnson has made it to the regional final to face Tennessee unless the Vols lose

• LOL 1

12 teams remain following some big wins with Kansas State, Connecticut, Florida Atlantic, and Gonzaga advancing to the Eight Eight.  The 53rd - 57th teams to exit the tournament proper will be disclosed by Saturday morning.

Opening/Early lines (Saturday Regional Finals):

FAU vs KSU (-1.5) 144.5 O/U
Gonzaga vs UConn (-2.5) 153.5 O/U

Time for Coaching Moves!

In addition to Micah Shrewsberry's Penn State exit, Rick Pitino is going from Iona to St. John's.

While the PSU to ND was speculated big time, I feel bad for Penn State.  I'm not a fan but it has to suck when they were on the path of building something special.  Looked like Micah had them going strong.  I can't blame Shrewsberry for leaving, but it would've been nice to see what could play out over the next 2 years before an exit.  2 more seasons of postseason success says a lot.  

I'm not certain that success will continue since Penn State had a veteran team with 4 seniors starting.  Not much returning.  That's why a HC remaining for a year or two more would've kept a school in the hunt at the very worst in the aftermath of a coaching change, especially if a particular school hires from within.

As for Rick Pitino, the stuff off the court is what it is, but on the court, it'll be nice to see him back in the Big East.  The man can coach.  Big things are possible for St. John's.

To fill the vacancy created by Rick Pitino, FDU lost Tobin Anderson.  Other coaching stuff features George Mason losing its 2022-2023 HC in Kim English.

The New Providence HC replaces Ed Cooley, who replaced former Georgetown HC Patrick Ewing

I may be intrigued to see what KSU can do.  And Gonzaga/Connecticut.  Still something to watch for.  Other than that...

...Well, it looks like it's movie night / Weekend.  Ditto for next Saturday!

58 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Are we really going to have no #1 seeds in the Elite Eight?

Unless Houston sends out a completely different team in the next two minutes, yep!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

It's not the first time for a 1-seed free tournament.  It's been a long time.

Gotta go back to 1979.  Probably the best Tournament Final ever played, but that year preceded 2023

17 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Indiana State was undefeated and a #1 seed.

That's the last time I listen to someone who corrected me an hour ago after I mentioned that this was unprecedented.  

18 hours ago, Carey said:

It's not the first time for a 1-seed free tournament.  It's been a long time.

Gotta go back to 1979

I read this, and my first thought was, “I remember 1979 and that wasn’t a long time ago.”  Then I did the math and am now having a bit of an existential crisis.  Thanks, Carey.  I forgot I was old for just a minute.

• Like 4

Surprisingly couldn't even get my reply to Crs97 in (to state that I was wrong).

But what DrSpaceman73AimingforYoko is right.  Never happened, even in 1979.  In fact, there were 3 one seeds in the "quarter-finals" (including UCLA & Notre Dame).

The confusion last night was the phrasing, I think.  For the first time since seeding began in 1979 might've confused people into thinking it happened 44 years ago.

As mentioned, and at first, I didn't think it happened, period, having kept track of the stuff (since 1984-1985, as the previous years may have had an asterisk due to the format/structure).

Someone elsewhere mentioned it, so I took his word for it.  It didn't factor in my head that Indiana State would've been a 1 seed even as they didn't lose.  Maybe a 2 due to SOS, but people may know how dominant the MVC was or (not).

At the end of the day, it was a very good night on Friday.  Really, the whole week was not cool (outside of hoops).  So I guess I wasn't on my "A" game.  Given my predictions, those....well, grade them an F

17 hours ago, LexieLily said:

So much for everyone's bracket, lmao.

It's basketball.  While I took a hit last week, there were still ways to win.  Though with some of the meaningless to me games, it changed things to where I couldn't win even if teams like Houston & Alabama won out.  It does suck, but the main thing is when there were a ton of teams I was rooting for (but didn't pick them to do much).  They're gone too.

Despite the interest losing its luster, there is still something worth watching, IMO.

I have Connecticut & Kansas State cutting down the nets tonight.

Edited to add the lines Sunday's Regional Finals

SDSU vs Creighton -2.5 134.5
Miami vs Texas -3.5 149.5

I am going with Kansas State to win outright (win & cover).  Same goes for Connecticut.  Tomorrow, I have San Diego State winning outright, but barely.  Miami win the game by 1 or 2 only because they hit a winning shot to make it to Houston.  KSU is playing some awesome hoops right now.  It's their game to lose.  If there was ever a year for Gonzaga to crown themselves, this year is it.  It'll be a battle against UCONN, and then Miami or Texas, and if they survive that, then the title is theirs to lose.  However, if SDSU or Creighton make a run, they might have the skills & veterans (mainly San Diego State) to topple Gonzaga.

I like the over to hit in all of these Elite Eight games, except for Gonzaga/UCONN.

Edited by Carey

I don’t know if this is a result of the transfer portal or what, but with the exception of a few blowout games, this has been the best tourney I can remember watching, except for the five that Duke won.

• Like 3