Type keyword(s) to search

College Basketball

xaxat
  • Start Topic

End of an Era. I'll be dead before anyone comes close to matching Coach K's tenure at Duke.  Really anywhere else in terms of the modern era.  I don't see anyone in the future emulating such a long run.  Similar to college football, the days of someone being the face of a school  or one university for decades, or headed toward a half century are over and done with

Speaking of which, I don't think I ever thought Jimmy B would be the last one standing.  I guess he's looking to hit the record, which could correspond to the 50th anniversary of his debut.   In addition to whatever else, if he's healthy and fit enough to make it to 2026 at Syracuse, it could happen

• Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I haven't settled into college basketball yet. As said in Hamilton, what'd I miss? 😁

Coach K’s grandson failed to stop at a stop sign, blew a 0.08, was arrested for DWI, and Paolo Banchero was also in the car and was arrested for aiding and abetting DWI, whatever the hell that is.  Paolo is scheduled to play tonight, but we shall see.

Well, that was stupid.

eta Caught halftime of some game while the Dubs were in commercial break. It seems that dook (yes, I'm a UNC fan, have been since I was 10) is "investigating" the incident and let their star freshman play. Do better, Coach K. You could have benched the kid for a cupcake game. Geez. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, mojoween said:

Juwan Howard is definitely going to be watching the next few Wolverines games on TV.

I'm sure there will be suspensions handed down to personnel of both teams, but Howard instigated the post-game ugliness and the consequences should reflect that.  If Michigan was going to continue to press, the Badgers had the right to call a timeout to get organized to deal with the press.  It's too bad Howard didn't like that, but he totally overreacted.  He felt the timeout "wasn't fair to his guys?"  In what sense was that unfair?  And he said Gard escalated it by "touching him" and "it was time for him to protect himself?"  Who knew Greg Gard was so threatening?  From what I saw of Howard's post-game press conference he took zero responsibility for this, showed no regret that players got involved, and no acknowledgment that someone could have been hurt.  And then the Michigan AD released a statement that there is no excuse for getting into a physical altercation "regardless of instigating factors."    WTF??  The instigating factor was Howard losing his cool. 

It's too bad that this is taking attention away from a great game by Wisconsin, especially Johnny Davis, and from Michael Finley, an all-time Wisconsin great, who was honored at today's game.  

• Love 2

I'll be honest: I wouldn't be surprised if Juwan Howard got fired outright for his actions.  I wouldn't boot him, but I can't defend Michigan if they moved on from him.  As mentioned, it's not his first instance of bad sportsmanship.

Speaking of sportsmanship, I would be unhappy if there's a movement that outlawed handshakes postgame.  That is not the answer, period

I don't think Howard will get fired.  Suspended for several games, yes, because this is not the first time he's been part of a confrontation with an opposing coach and he struck someone.  He may have increased the penalty he will face when he showed up at the post-game press conference and expressed no regrets for his role in the incident.  People lose their tempers, but any reasonable person, one who wants to be a leader of young people, would have quickly realized his actions were wrong and expressed some remorse.   But apparently he thinks what he did is acceptable.

The best thing I saw on Twitter was that if Howard was going to punch a guy for calling a timeout, it should have been Chris Webber.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Carey said:

Rest of the regular season - he can coach in the Big Ten Tournament and any other postseason tourney Michigan goes to.  Howard was also fined $40,000.  The 3 players who threw punches (2 Michigan players and 1 Wisconsin player) all are suspended 1 game.  Greg Gard was not suspended; he was fined $10,000. 

There are no reports that Joe Krabbenhoft, the Wisconsin assistant coach who was hit by Howard, was fined.  There was speculation from some of the national writers that he would face some sort of discipline for whatever he said to Howard which Howard reacted to by hitting him.  I wonder if what he said was something along the lines of "get off the court," (probably in a more profane manner) because I assume if it was something worse than that he would have been fined and/or suspended.  

I think the only way Michigan would have fired Howard is if he hit one of the players.  

Now the sportswriters who wrote all the columns about who was to blame, who should be disciplined, and what that discipline should be, are all praying to whatever gods they believe in that Wisconsin and Michigan meet in the Big Ten Tournament.  

Howard has finally issued an apology, probably written by some PR person in the athletic department.  In this statement, he said he wanted to apologize to Wisconsin Assistant Coach Joel Krabbenhoft.  When issuing an apology for smacking another person in the head, perhaps the first thing is to make sure the name of the person is correct.  It's Joe Krabbenhoft, not Joel.  

Edited by Calvada
update

I get that Gard shouldn’t have yanked Howard’s arm like that.  But to me it’s pretty specious to say that Gard started it when *minutes* went by before Howard slapped Krabbenhoft’s hair.  Both coaches should have de-escalated, absolutely, but to say the grab is the reason for the slap doesn’t add up.

• Love 2

Well, the month of March will be here on Tuesday.  That’s tomorrow.  However, if you told me that March actually started this past weekend, I’d believe you.  For the first time ever, the Top 5 crumbled, all on the same day.

To be fair, the AP Top Six were all on the road when they lost.  It was a great day.  As mentioned, it’s a long season for these players.  They’re all going to the NCAA Tournament.  And at this point, and for the most part, the teams that were locks for a one-seed are going to be just that.  Those that probably needed to win out and get help weren’t getting a top spot.

Nope, Duke did not jump to the top spot, nor did Baylor, who wasn’t the highest ranked team that didn’t lose but are the reigning champions.  Gonzaga and Arizona are still the top 2, while Baylor moved to the third spot.  Duke, the highest team that didn’t lose, is the new number 4.  Auburn fell two spots to Number 5

If you transition from a lower level to D1 apparently you have to be on probation for a year and ineligible for the NCAA Tournament.  Ok fine whatever.

But if that’s the case…don’t let those kids play in the conference tournament!  So when they win, because they obviously moved up to D1 for a reason, you don’t send those kids home disappointed.

Also, if that’s the case, the team that then DOES go to the NCAA’s should be the conference tourney championship game runner up.  Not the team with the best conference record, who lost before the conference championship game.  Because then, the entire conference tourney is useless.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

A one game suspension for Buddy Boeheim seems silly, but regardless of the idiocy of what the FSU kid did, you can’t punch someone.

I am curious, though, how he gets a suspension for something that if I recall correctly wasn’t called a foul on the floor? Unless it was offsetting and I missed it?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I did not do one bracket in 19 or 21.  This year I have done five.  Man, you think you’re out, and then they suck you right back in.

I actually did half a dozen last year.  I figured it was Gonzaga, Baylor and no one else.  Basically I still didn't win, but managed to clinch 2nd at best, which was a surprise.  I was on with the upsets, but the eventual winner had me covered in every scenario that could play out pre-Final Four tip.  I can recall if it was a strong second day, a great regional or both.

I'm slated to do 50 this year.  That means I'll rip up at least 4 dozen around Friday night.  This year is so wide open.  I love it!

Wait did CBS just do an interview with Juwan Howard in the middle of a timeout?  What the hell?

Edit: this is apparently a thing, I’ve seen it on every game.  Not a fan.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1

ZOOM meeting with my CFO:

CFO:  Did you lose track of your days?

ME: Huh?

CFO:  It’s not casual Friday.

ME(dressed in hoodie and ball cap):  WE ARE MARQUETTE!!!!!

CFO:  Fair enough.

• LOL 11

Richmond winning was not a shocker, but a tad surprising, especially after Iowa/Indiana and the Hawkeyes performance against them (and later vs Purdue).  Richmond was rather close to not even being in the dance but they did well against Davidson.  Not an easy pick (which I got wrong) but it does suck when officiating changes things.  Still, learn to win by 10 or so and no close calls

• Love 3

Picking Kentucky to advance to April was dumb on my part.  There was discussion that they'd probably get knocked off my Murray State in a revenge/petty game.  No way Coach Cal survives this.

I still could win if Duke wins out.  Unless someone else that picked Duke to win its 6th title has Baylor playing in April

I think Coach Cal survives this because no matter what you think of his program, he does send players to the NBA year after year. Like it or not the NCAA is a factory farm for the NBA, and sending players year after year ensures he gets the top recruits around the country.

• Love 2

Well, to be honest: I should've known better than to pick against Saint Peter's!

In addition to what you said, Lady W, who is Kentucky going to get that's better than Calipari?  Sure they're a lot of great coaches, but I'll be like trying to replace Nick Saban (who also sends a ton of people to the pros where several have won championships too).  Just a bad look that they don't even get to the second round.

Nonetheless, the NCAA Tournament is not easy at all.  Coack K won 5 times in over 40 years, while Boeheim won just once.  FWIW, he might get to the half century mark of being the man in Syracuse and that might remain as such.  It is the ultimate prize, but it seems as there is still a big amount of respect toward a conference title (i.e. the Big East) and just winning your region

I'll also defend Coach Cal in that yes he seems to care nothing about academics, and he probably does some shady stuff recruiting. HOWEVER, many of his ex-players have nothing but great things to say about how he prepared them for pro-ball, whether its in the NBA or Europe or the G-league. 

I don't think he's a good guy or anything, but he seems to be a good coach.