Type keyword(s) to search

The Cassadines: Cold as Ice (Princess)

• Start Topic

Nancy Lee Grahn originated the role in September 28, 1996. She is the daughter of Mikkos Cassadine and Kristin Bergman. She is the mother of Sam Morgan, Kristina Davis and Molly Lansing.

And still first in my hear with this show.  

The greatest story was that one with the revelation of her being Mikkos' daughter.  Her and TG, on the docks, as he told her her tragic history...it still gets me.

talk about Spencer, Nikolas, Alexis, Stefan, Stavros, Helena, Victor, Mikkos, and I guess maybe Alexis' daughters, here. AND NO, WE WILL NEVER TALK ABOUT NATHAN HERE. I DON'T CARE WHAT IS "REVEALED"*

Stavros - and the cryochambers, the mad scientists, etc. - is just one of those things I accept as quintessential GH. He is an insane, evil demon from beyond the grave and I knew that wasn't the end of it for him or Helena. Nor should it have been. He was on way too briefly last time for me. They got him right, unlike the JFP/Megan McTavish era when they were trying to sort of semi-sell him as a tortured, misunderstood soul (a la Franco!) because Jill was in love with RKK, and this was even after Stavros had killed poor Chloe. The only reason that shit stopped was because of 9/11, when ABC ordered Jill to end the story which would've culminated in a terrorist attack.

I feel like at first he was bad, and then they started trying to soften up, and then came the mish mash disaster at the end where they had him fall down a hole again. I just remember being enraged when they started trying to push him into Stefan's role. One of the many reasons I wasn't a fan of the overturned paternity with Stefan and Nikolas. I actually like the original story better and wasn't a fan of them saying Stefan was the father, but once they overturned it I knew they were gonna use it to separate Nikolas and Stefan, which was annoying. Not that I really cared once Stephen Martinez was there, but it was the principal of the thing.

*Just kidding, if he's a Cassadine, you can go ahead and talk about him. Grumble.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1

talk about Spencer, Nikolas, Alexis, Stefan, Stavros, Helena, Victor, Mikkos, and I guess maybe Alexis' daughters, here. AND NO, WE WILL NEVER TALK ABOUT NATHAN HERE. I DON'T CARE WHAT IS "REVEALED"*

I feel like at first he was bad, and then they started trying to soften up, and then came the mish mash disaster at the end where they had him fall down a whole again. I just remember being enraged when they started trying to push him into Stefan's role.

@ulkis , you had to mention that brat first? Like, couldn't you put Helena's name first?  And I think you mean "fall down a hole  and not a whole. Unless you meant, fall down as a Whole person/thing? instead of that bottomless pit? I am confuseded.

Nathan and Nina are totally half-siblings and the love children of two-timing Victor Cassadine and the clueless Westbourne sisters.  We will never be rid of Obrecht and company. I hope you're ready for Michelle Stafford hosting a bacchanalia as fierce Cassadine bitch on wheels Nina! I wish I had not scoped this months ago.

I just never understood why the fuck even Jill and Megan at their worst would think Stavros was able to be softened up after we had just watched him kill my sweet Chloe Morgan in cold blood. To say nothing of his long history of rape and murder from years before. It was insane, but we had to sit there with scenes with Gia and then early Tamara Braun and her lousy dyejob going like, "I know you're not all bad, 'Lucien.'" Who the fuck was this going to appeal to other than Jill herself?

They did can it all after 9/11 - Jill had to wait another handful of years to finally blow up GH and remodel the hospital like she'd wanted to during the Endgame biotoxin story - but that didn't stop us from having to watch that horrible shit (including Jacob Young singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame") with most of the cast just forced into it, wandering around aimlessly in those underground tunnels, looking incredibly embarrassed. Except for Tony Geary, who clearly thought he was the shit as he and RKK battled each other with throw pillows in Stavros's love den. Then there was their super-lame muzak action movie version of the 'Faces of the Heart' theme. Oh, God, let me dig it up.

You can hear it, right? I'm not making this up!

And what were they counting down to? What? I know people like to talk shit about all eras of Guza, but Jill and Megan's run was the absolute nadir of GH for me for many years to come.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4

I think Spencer needs to go away to military school for a while. Can you imagine what a spoiled little shit he would be if a thawed out Helena got ahold of him? 

I would really like to see Nicholas flex his Cassadine muscles as head of the family.  Maybe he needs to find out what his great uncle is up to.

• Love 2

@ulkis , you had to mention that brat first? Like, couldn't you put Helena's name first?  And I think you mean "fall down a hole  and not a whole. Unless you meant, fall down as a Whole person/thing? instead of that bottomless pit? I am confuseded.

lol, yes I meant hole. Thanks! Fixed it. And yeah, cause I couldn't think up a good title. If you can think up another one let me know and I'll tell one of the mods to change it.

I cannot breathe watching that fight between Luke and Stavros. Dear God, Luke wielded a dress. That's funnier than Sonny's pillow. I have to look up Jacob Young singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" though, because I do not remember that.

I do have to say, when I'm lamenting Ron's GH, all I have to do is watch the McTavish era and it makes Ron positively brilliant.

But yeah, Stavros. To me he was so much more interesting dead whenever Stefan talked about him, especially during the early part of their re-arrival in the 90s in 1996. And I never could decide if I wanted them to have an explanation as to why Helena preferred Stavros and hated Stefan or if it just was more interesting to have had Helena just because she's simply evil.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2

Bringing this over from the Spoilers thread and trying to quote dubbel zout - this is why I wish discussion wasn't so strictly regimented here because it is easy for people to get lost:

I think Ron does a great job with Stavros. Seriously. Ron can camp it up to high heaven, which is really how Stavros should be portrayed. And RKK totally understands what Ron is going for, which is important. Stavros is like our own Mitch Lawrence. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine, especially when used in small doses. One of my all-time-favorite Mitch scenes is still when he rose out of Jared's casket. I still can't believe it actually happened, it was so out there.

Oh, no, I agree, he's exactly like Mitch Laurence for them. And they did his reveal right last year, IMO, just like when they first brought back Mitch on OLTL in 2009 with some of the creepiest shit I ever saw on soaps - a very nice location remote, actually, in a dark vineyard with the dessicated, bug-eyed corpse of Jessica Buchanan's long-dead husband (I still can't believe they got away with that). And then that went to shit. The Stavros thing didn't really last long enough last time to go to shit.

My favorite bit with Stavros last time was actually something a lot of people unfairly mocked IMO - when he lost it and slammed the table while talking to Laura, and Genie Francis just screamed in terror. That is exactly how she would and should react to him. That was some raw shit. And I thought Genie was great when she froze him again. Frank cut the episode to black on the absolutely primal look in her eyes through the glass as she watched him go down, she was just shrieking, and it was perfect. Ron gets a lot of shit wrong, especially with women, but Bob Guza would not have given her that bit.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1
I think Ron does a great job with Stavros. Seriously. Ron can camp it up to high heaven, which is really how Stavros should be portrayed. And RKK totally understands what Ron is going for, which is important. Stavros is like our own Mitch Lawrence. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine, especially when used in small doses. One of my all-time-favorite Mitch scenes is still when he rose out of Jared's casket. I still can't believe it actually happened, it was so out there.

@dubbel zout, I would mind less if I didn't think his focus was going to be all on Lulu. I'm not interested in watching her be victimized some more. I would actually be really interested in watching him with Spencer (and Nikolas). If Spencer and Stavros interacted maybe Nik would see his kid is on the road to psychodom, heh.

My favorite bit with Stavros last time was actually something a lot of people unfairly mocked IMO - when he lost it and slammed the table while talking to Laura, and Genie Francis just screamed in terror.

I actually agree, that was good. 

Edited by ulkis

I cannot breathe watching that fight between Luke and Stavros. Dear God, Luke wielded a dress.

I just started watching it again now and I mean, I thought I'd exhausted all the immediate hysteria years ago after watching it a lot over the years. But no, it's funnier now and I notice something new every time. It's like the Golden Girls having a brawl.

• Love 1

My Cassadines!!!  If they are defrosting Stavros, they'd better be bringing back Mummy Dearest.

We have gotten so g***** over the years with them.  They're is so much great inter-family dynamics at work there that you don't need to fall into the cartooni crap.  Stefan/Alexis and her daughters, Nikolas and Alexis, hell, Molly and Spencer (did I just say that?)  And yet, it'll be defrosted baddies.  

I really need to figure out a way to get myself onto this writing staff.

• Love 1
the dessicated, bug-eyed corpse of Jessica Buchanan's long-dead husband (I still can't believe they got away with that)

That might be my second-favorite Mitch Lawrence scene. When Ron's camp is good, it's very, very good, IMO.

I would mind less if I didn't think his focus was going to be all on Lulu. I'm not interested in watching her be victimized some more.

Yeah, I edited my original post to somewhat reflect that:

As long as Stavros doesn't get too rapey, I'll buy what he's selling this time around.
Edited by dubbel zout

My Cassadines!!!  If they are defrosting Stavros, they'd better be bringing back Mummy Dearest.

We have gotten so g***** over the years with them.  They're is so much great inter-family dynamics at work there that you don't need to fall into the cartooni crap.  Stefan/Alexis and her daughters, Nikolas and Alexis, hell, Molly and Spencer (did I just say that?)  And yet, it'll be defrosted baddies.  

I really need to figure out a way to get myself onto this writing staff.

I would absolutely kill for a scene between Stefan and Molly.

• Love 1

Oh, I do my writing elsewhere, I have my own work and I want nothing to do with what's become of daytime, but I have had a very long and involved Cassadine storyline in my back pocket for years. It's at least as cartoonish as Ron's, though.

And I'll say it - when they defrost Stavros and Helena they should have creepy glowing eyes. Like Pet Sematary. Because why not? The lights go out and Robin's lookin' around the laboratory and then boom! Constance Towers and serial creeper RKK with lite-brite eyes! Tell me you would not shit your pants. They can, uh, put contacts in in the daytime.

Edited by jsbt

I just started watching it again now and I mean, I thought I'd exhausted all the immediate hysteria years ago after watching it a lot over the years. But no, it's funnier now and I notice something new every time. It's like the Golden Girls having a brawl.

It looks like RKK is trying to zone out Jacob Young's acting in this scene:

Untitled_zpseb0da4e2.png

Oh, I do my writing elsewhere, I have my own work and I want nothing to do with what's become of daytime, but I have had a very long and involved Cassadine storyline in my back pocket for years. It's at least as cartoonish as Ron's, though.

Well, let's hear it, @jsbt . It can't be worse than that time you suggested Starr and Spinelli should be paired. :)

I have no idea what I would want with a Cassadine return. I just have one scene in my head where Nikolas sees Stefan and he thinks he's going crazy. That's it. But if anyone should be the recipient of a tumor on this show it should be Stefan, dammit.

Edited by ulkis

The line my ex-boyfriend never, ever let go of was from that "General Shmospital" spoof website or whatever it was, which narrated the story with screencaps. "Robert Kelker-Kelly and I have been let go, so now it is time for ENDGAME." We could say the beginning of that to each other for years and just crack up.

Well, let's hear it, @jsbt . It can't be worse than that time you suggested Starr and Spinelli should be paired. :)

Did I say that? I probably did. I was desperate for anything new.

I'll regale you with it privately, nobody needs my fanfic.

Edited by jsbt

I would absolutely kill for a scene between Stefan and Molly.

VanillaSiren had a wonder fanfiction on FF.net, Little Sister, where she brought Stefan back and had him interacting with the Davis girls.  Completely adorable, especially when she was comparing him to characters from gothic novels.  And he was advising Kristina on way of getting back at a (non-abusive) Kyle  (that was his name, right?) Hell, I even accepted Sam as a Cassadine in it!  (And they made her Stavros', sick, but it is still the story I stick to.)

I gotta say, Stefan's ending when he left the first time was perfect though . . . then they ruined it just to give the Nem a 6 month storyline. ugh.

Edited by ulkis

They had so much potential with Stefan's return. I didn't mind the premise, of him micromanaging Nikolas's life. I thought it was the right time to finally do Nikolas and Emily. I thought a Nik/Emily/Zander triangle could be dynamite since both couples were very appealing to me. But they burned it all. And they destroyed Stefan. I don't care if Ron brings him back just to romance Frozen Face Bobbie and quad it out with Scott and Lucy for three days every two months, I don't mind, just bring him back.

• Love 1

As soon as Robin thaws out that great woman, I need Helena and Dr. O to share scenes and then I need Hells to kill that half-Corinthos brat Spencer.

My cold Ice Queen needs to take out half the cast...and sadly, Spencer ain't even in the top ten.  Twenty...maybe.

Instead of a big expensive disaster story or location shoot, Nov sweeps can just be Helena going around town slitting peoples throats all while wearing an amazing pantsuit and doing perfect two-finger points.

And as far as I'm concerned, Spencer should be first on the list followed immediatly by Sonny, Franco, Felix, Sabrina, Nina,  and Silas in that order.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1

The only problem with her killing her great-grandson is, he is the future of the family (yes, it is a depressing thought) but she's put too much time and effort into ensuring the survival of the Cassadines over all others.  I'd actually rather she try to bring the kid under heel like she used to with Nikolas.  Come to thin of it, she'd probably do better job that Nik.

Oh, god, I just had a terrible thought.  With Stavros being defrosted  soon, Spencer/Stavros scenes.  No scenery left unchewed!

Imma gonna need a lot of ta-chee-la.  No, scratch that, vodka.  Bottles of it.

The only problem with her killing her great-grandson is, he is the future of the family (yes, it is a depressing thought) but she's put too much time and effort into ensuring the survival of the Cassadines over all others.  I'd actually rather she try to bring the kid under heel like she used to with Nikolas.  Come to thin of it, she'd probably do better job that Nik.

Oh, god, I just had a terrible thought.  With Stavros being defrosted  soon, Spencer/Stavros scenes.  No scenery left unchewed!

Imma gonna need a lot of ta-chee-la.  No, scratch that, vodka.  Bottles of it.

At least that might make Nik see his kid is on the road psychotown, heh.

As much as I love Hells and will be waiting for her with a steaming cup of Earl Grey once she's defrosted, it did occur to me that the show at some point should have developed a villainous Cassadine for the next generation.  

Edited by TeeVee329

Why don't they bring on Valentine Cassadine? The one Cassidine that Helena is terrified of. That might be fun.

He is an established character although off screen, so it might even make some sense.

Edited by Lillybee

I think he was a cousin. I do know that they hired an actor to play him and he found out that he was fired when he was in make-up for his first day shooting and no one bothered to notify him that he was let go.

As much as I love Hells and will be waiting for her with a steaming cup of Earl Grey once she's defrosted, it did occur to me that the show at some point should have developed a villainous Cassadine for the next generation.  

Yeah. I like Helena and all but at this point I think it's a little ridiculous anyone is scared of her/she's allowed to work major havoc. Nik should have had her thrown in the dungeon ages ago.

• Love 1

I loved the original thread title!

I think he was a cousin. I do know that they hired an actor to play him and he found out that he was fired when he was in make-up for his first day shooting and no one bothered to notify him that he was let go.

Matt Borlenghi from All My Children. They scrapped him for Original Franco.

I will just say that my silly Cassadine idea did involve both Valentin Cassadine and a new generation.

Today I think Spencer would probably end up getting cajoled into evil by the bad guys. Helena whispering in his ear so that he turns into the Bad Seed and starts doing Great-Grandmother's bidding all over town.

Why don't they bring on Valentine Cassadine? The one Cassidine that Helena is terrified of. That might be fun.

Since Roger Hogworth thrives playing anti heroes/villains, TIIC should have brought him in as that character instead of Franco. The problem isn't that Carly would be in love with a serial killer, it is that she would be in relationship with a guy that openly terrorized her son and more importantly, Jason.

I think Spencer needs to go away to military school for a while. Can you imagine what a spoiled little shit he would be if a thawed out Helena got ahold of him?

I don't have much problem with the actor that plays him. What went wrong is the show found a somewhat talented, hammy little actor and instead of just keeping him as a glorified prop/supporting character, they gave him B+ story lines, where Nikolas is playing the supporting role and made him as insufferable as possible and double downs when anyone complains about it. 

I have a feeling that Stefan (or Helena) wouldn't tolerate Spencer's behavior in Nikolas.

There is a story about Queen Elizabeth when she was a child visiting some sort of show with her grandmother, Mary of Teck. She told Mary that she should stay longer because people would want to see them and Mary immediately took Elizabeth back home because she felt being royalty wasn't about showboating but duty. 

Liz Taylor as Helena back in the day must've been great fun! And the guy who wanted to control the weather of the whole world - well, at least he had a vision ... he could really come in handy now, in these times of climate change!

Other than that, ugh, kill them all. Well, maybe not Alexis' daughters. Maybe.

Nikolas is playing the supporting role

No soap parent should play second banana to their bratty 9-year-old (or however old Spencer is supposed to be).

I have a feeling that Stefan (or Helena) wouldn't tolerate Spencer's behavior in Nikolas.

I think Stefan, especially, would shut that shit down pronto. Helena would find it more amusing, and probably use it to her advantage now and then, to keep Nik on his toes.

I'm sorry, sir, I don't buy Alexis's daughters as Cassadines.

Alexis is barely a Cassadine. 

• Love 2
I think all of these Cassadine men would sleep with (or rape) anything that moves, but I digress.

Not Stefan. He can be ruthless and cruel, but he has morals.

It's not even about his morals, really, although you're right. He wasn't a monk but he just wasn't horny/that interested in sex that he would nail anything that moves. There was that farce where he tried to rape Lydia I think, but that was that disastrous return from 2003 where pretty much everything he did except the trial, his last word, and breathing, was out of character.

They've said a few times that the Cassadines are inbred. Are there any real examples of this that we've seen or heard?

No. Although Stefan did kiss Alexis full on the mouth once . . . but it was a "you're banished from the family, traitor", kiss.

Stefan was the best. I remain convinced that the guy that returned and died in 2003 was an imposter, brainwashed by Helena, because that was not the Stefan Cassadine I knew. The real Stefan is being held...somewhere. Probably Uncle Victor's Freezer of the Undead.

Who loved Stefan and Bobbie? I did! I was so mad when that marriage was scrapped for Stefan/Katherine.

• Love 2

I thought Bobbie / Stefan was at least interesting. Unlike Stefan and Katherine Bell - blah, the actress was fine, but the character was a mess.

I don't actually like any of the Cassadines, although Helena has her moments. Stefan was the best of the bunch in the 90s, I guess, but I didn't love him. Nik was all right when he first came on, and I liked his friendship with Robin (and I wish they'd followed through with a Nik-Robin-Patrick triangle) but now he's just so useless.

I'm working my way through the 80s clips on Youtube these days, so maybe I'll like the original versions...or at least find them more entertaining

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1