Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

AnimeMania

S01.E02: First Dance

Recommended Posts

When more victims are discovered, Reacher attempts to get answers but is set up. Roscoe receives a threatening message.
4nfnpqWMX8dHI1bYZcdxLEvy2c9.jpg
RCHR_S1_UT_102_210512_MAHSHA_00016RC_thu
Original Airdate: February 4, 2022

Share this post


Link to post

The mercenaries from "South American" military sounds like other productions changing China to North Koreans, I guess showing the Chief makes it TV MA. I guess since Reacher is a hobo a local cop won't carry forward beyond the season to another story but an off duty FBI Agent might have a future.

The Mayor/new Chief reminded me of the Sheriff in Silverado with his "this used to be a good town" comment. Right now I'll go with incompetent rather than in on the conspiracy.

Share this post


Link to post

I continue to be impressed at the standard of production. The show is interesting and exciting, even though I've read the book more than once, and the last time only recently.

Charlie Hubble didn't match with the picture in my mind's eye, but that picture was pure conjecture on my part, For that matter, Roscoe isn't exactly as I'd imagined her, but she is more than fine as portrayed.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Right now I'll go with incompetent rather than in on the conspiracy.

I think Finlay said something just like that in Episode One. It is a basic truism, I guess.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Raja said:

The mercenaries from "South American" military sounds like other productions changing China to North Koreans, I guess showing the Chief makes it TV MA. I guess since Reacher is a hobo a local cop won't carry forward beyond the season to another story but an off duty FBI Agent might have a future.

The Mayor/new Chief reminded me of the Sheriff in Silverado with his "this used to be a good town" comment. Right now I'll go with incompetent rather than in on the conspiracy.

Well in the book they are from Venezuela

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm really enjoying this, but my one observation (so far), Finley is really inept.

Share this post


Link to post

Looks like we've got a few suspicious folks introduced here played by actors who can end up being villainous from time to time.  First, there is Bruce McGill as Mayor Teale who uses the chief's sudden death to appoint himself in the role which is highly suspicious.  Then we've got Currie Graham as Kliner: the bigwig they were talking about last episode who definitely likes to act like he's a "man of the people" and already has most of the town-folks wrapped around his finger, but as Reacher pretty much said, these type of guys usually end up being all sorts of bad news.  I'm sure there will be a lot more to this, but I can definitely see them both being involved (although I do think the idea that Teale might be an unwitting player is a possibility.  He strikes me as someone who simply is doing this for his ego and doesn't realize what is really going on here.)

Have to think there will be more to the accountant's wife than what meets the eye.  No way they get Kristin Kreuk here and have her already leave after one episode (brief Smallville reunion with Lana Lang and Aquaman!)

Reacher and Roscoe have already gone to the "slow dance and forced to share a hotel room" phase of their relationship, I see.  Still mainly kept it professional outside of using it as a way to have Reacher parade around shirtless while Rosco rocked the "short shirt, tight panties" look.

The crime scene was pretty brutal.  Poor Mortician Guillermo probably rather go hang with the vampire again than have to deal with another one like that!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

First, there is Bruce McGill as Mayor Teale who uses the chief's sudden death to appoint himself in the role which is highly suspicious.  Then we've got Currie Graham as Kliner: the bigwig they were talking about last episode who definitely likes to act like he's a "man of the people"

Same thoughts here re: McGill & Graham.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm enjoying the crime/mystery aspect of this show. 

The romance angle was a bit heavy handed but, I really like Roscoe.

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm enjoying the crime/mystery aspect of this show. 

The romance angle was a bit heavy handed but, I really like Roscoe.

 

It was obvious from the first moment they saw each other they would couple up but I don't really see Reacher as being a ladies man. He seems more focused on the mission and avoiding people. I haven't read the books so I don't know if they coupled up in them either. I think she could be a real weakness for him.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LadyIrony said:

It was obvious from the first moment they saw each other they would couple up but I don't really see Reacher as being a ladies man. He seems more focused on the mission and avoiding people. I haven't read the books so I don't know if they coupled up in them either. I think she could be a real weakness for him.

They did hook up

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Humbugged said:

They did hook up

Looks like they are sticking with the book then, I was curious if Roscoe was also female in the books which it turns out she was. 

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Reacher’s “surprise” attack on the two SA military guys was telegraphed for almost a full second when the actor braced his feet, pretty weak. As was Reacher’s complete non attempt to sound like Finlay.

Still, I like this Reacher more than the Cruise one.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

10 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The romance angle was a bit heavy handed

Yes, at that point I turned to husband and said "And it was going so well..."  

I did read the books many moons ago and don't remember a thing, lol, but we're here for kick ass action, not romance.  

Anyone else get Drax/Dave Bautista vibe off of this guy? Something about his delivery and the dry humor struck a chord with me. Could be the massive size though as I also got a bit of Ruffalo's Hulk after the mind merge, lol.

It's funny someone else mentioned the food because all along I have been worried that he's not eating enough and is going to waste away. Husband is a hard gainer and I shove chicken at him by the pound, he's forever downing protein shakes, and is never without a power bar (not a Clark bar, lol). Then the very next scene they shoved prison food at him and he chowed down, but honestly a guy that size would be consuming tons of food- they're training or eating or sleeping, that's it. Suspended belief, yeah. 

But we're in- I was happy with how the production was put together and nothing annoyed me too badly other than the romantic interlude. Damning with faint praise but that's the television landscape these days.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

I was curious if Roscoe was also female in the books which it turns out she was. 

In most (if not all?) books, Reacher finds a love-interest, although I recall that he doesn't actively search for one. It's usually a cop, lawyer, victim... Someone he finds himself working with as a result of the case.

18 minutes ago, Pestilentia said:

nothing annoyed me too badly other than the romantic interlude. Damning with faint praise but that's the television landscape these days.

As you say, this sort of thing is pretty obligatory for any TV show of the type. Or, for that matter, for the book it's based off of. Publishers/producer will probably send a manuscript/screenplay back to be reworked if you leave that out. Thankfully, in this case we get spared most of the details.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Pestilentia said:

Yes, at that point I turned to husband and said "And it was going so well..."  

I did read the books many moons ago and don't remember a thing, lol, but we're here for kick ass action, not romance.  

Anyone else get Drax/Dave Bautista vibe off of this guy? Something about his delivery and the dry humor struck a chord with me. Could be the massive size though as I also got a bit of Ruffalo's Hulk after the mind merge, lol.

It's funny someone else mentioned the food because all along I have been worried that he's not eating enough and is going to waste away. Husband is a hard gainer and I shove chicken at him by the pound, he's forever downing protein shakes, and is never without a power bar (not a Clark bar, lol). Then the very next scene they shoved prison food at him and he chowed down, but honestly a guy that size would be consuming tons of food- they're training or eating or sleeping, that's it. Suspended belief, yeah. 

But we're in- I was happy with how the production was put together and nothing annoyed me too badly other than the romantic interlude. Damning with faint praise but that's the television landscape these days.

I got more of a John Cena vibe, he looks fairly similar and shares a similar sense of humour but then I am not familiar with Drax. Ruffalo's Hulk is also an apt comparison personality wise. He is a walking contradiction. 

Not sure what ep you are up to but he does eat a lot in the future. I find it funny that Picard is a health nut and can't understand how Reacher is so fit on what he eats. 

 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, LadyIrony said:

find it funny that Picard is a health nut and can't understand how Reacher is so fit on what he eats. 

Finlay is the health nut. 

Edited by Morrigan2575

Share this post


Link to post

Kristin Kreuk.  I used to have quite a crush on her in the day.  She still looks good.

How far is Margrave from the Alabama border?  The coroner was wearing a Savannah Bananas shirt, so I would have thought they were near the coast, but Roscoe said the road house was right across the border in Alabama.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2022 at 6:29 AM, Pestilentia said:

Yes, at that point I turned to husband and said "And it was going so well..."  

I did read the books many moons ago and don't remember a thing, lol, but we're here for kick ass action, not romance.  

Anyone else get Drax/Dave Bautista vibe off of this guy? Something about his delivery and the dry humor struck a chord with me. Could be the massive size though as I also got a bit of Ruffalo's Hulk after the mind merge, lol.

It's funny someone else mentioned the food because all along I have been worried that he's not eating enough and is going to waste away. Husband is a hard gainer and I shove chicken at him by the pound, he's forever downing protein shakes, and is never without a power bar (not a Clark bar, lol). Then the very next scene they shoved prison food at him and he chowed down, but honestly a guy that size would be consuming tons of food- they're training or eating or sleeping, that's it. Suspended belief, yeah. 

But we're in- I was happy with how the production was put together and nothing annoyed me too badly other than the romantic interlude. Damning with faint praise but that's the television landscape these days.

Jack Reacher is basically "real world" Captain America - without the Boy Scout niceness.  His super-genetics let him eat crappy diner food and turn it into pure muscle.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Christ this is awful yet I can’t stop watching.  This could be an excellent parody.

  • Love 2
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Avabelle said:

Christ this is awful yet I can’t stop watching.

I've read all the books, and I guess they are "awful" but also terribly entertaining. 

Share this post


Link to post

The guy with the dog, has to come into it more. I know he's been in other Amazon shows, so maybe he did just take a bit part, but he usually has more to do.

Share this post


Link to post

We are watching this series slowly, so I'm behind other posters.

Gotta get used to unexpected full frontal on routine TV shows as it embarrasses me a little when I'm with those outside my immediate family. (Although I have advocated for full frontal equal opportunity in movies for a long time.) Mangled naughty bits on huge HDTV screens are not my cup of tea.

I'm enjoying Roscoe; the character seems organic to that small southern community.

When she said "roadhouse just across the Alabama border" I thought "Phenix City," a once-notorious den of iniquity that drew in soldiers from Ft. Benning.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

I finally realized where I recognized Alan Ritchson from.  He was the meathead lead in Blood Drive! I miss that show.  Colin Cunningham absolutely killed it.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Bruce McGill dressed up very much like Boss Hogg/"the KFC Colonel" makes me laugh!

Hubble's daughters look nothing like him except for the glasses. Hmmmm......

On 3/22/2022 at 4:10 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

I finally realized where I recognized Alan Ritchson from.  He was the meathead lead in Blood Drive! I miss that show.  Colin Cunningham absolutely killed it.

The only reason I'm watching! Miss it so much!

Patsy Cline, can't get back to the house so she has to be at his "place" and nearly have an encounter. 🙄

 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size