Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Great Destroyer

What was Bobby Dean crying about? 

Are we to assume Senator Foulkes told Ted Sr. about Daniel's attack on Ted Jr.? 

Beautiful episode.  Every scene was perfect, including the music.  I wish Tawney had told Teddy that she went to Daniel's rescue but I understand why she didn't.

Can't figure out what Trey's plan is, especially since he signed his name to that "sorry about your wall" note. 

• Love 1

I still don't believe Daniel had anything to do with Hannah's death, besides being there and sharing drugs with her. I am finding myself frustrated with him at times though, both for his passivity and for his cluelessness to how other people are feeling. I understand why he is the way he is, but it is frustrating to watch.

I find it hard to believe that the DA could get a conviction on this case due to the multiple sperm samples and the very idea that Daniel was set free. Then again, I wonder why so many people continue to be against Daniel instead of wondering who the other men/boys involved may be. 

I also find Tawny kind of annoying. She doesn't want to be a real wife to Teddy, she doesn't want to admit to feelings for Daniel, she doesn't do much of anything really but act holier-than-thou. I would think that both Teddy and Daniel would be more attracted to someone a bit more dynamic.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 2

Ted Sr. was so kind this episode, I just hope that if they told him about Daniel's "attack" on Teddy that he won't change and start being resentful of Daniel. Daniel has such a nice family, except for maybe Teddy who actually seems pretty decent except for his dislike (jealousy?) of Daniel.

What is the younger brother's motive lurking about spying on Bobby Dean?

Can't figure out what Trey's plan is, especially since he signed his name to that "sorry about your wall" note.

I need to rewatch that, I assumed just Daniel signed it. If Trey did that certainly puts a new spin on it.

In a way I root for Daniel/Tawny but that would create such a mess for the whole family that I hope he can find somebody else that makes him feel that way.

I need to rewatch that, I assumed just Daniel signed it.

When I watch the original airing, it's not in HD. I have to wait for it to be on demand in order to see it in HD, but I also thought it was Daniel's name signed to that note.

Once again I was a little frustrated with Daniel when he picked up the wallet. I don't know that anything will come from them being in the house but, if he put the note on the wall, it will show that he wasn't trying to hide being there. I felt bad that Trey left Daniel there and his riding along on that small bike was a bit pathetic. Trey is such a jerk.

Teddy actually made me laugh out loud this episode, which is rare for this show, with his - you hate it, then you love it - it's beer.

I think Ted Sr. will come around but he certainly is angry right now. He's been so supportive of Daniel and his mother. To hear what Daniel did to Teddy must be quite the shock.

Lots of good performances again. The subtle changes in Daniel from sadness to anger/frustration when he was speaking with Tawney were well done. I can understand why Tawney went - it was impulsive. I don't see her as holier than thou. I think it's more along the lines that she has very basic beliefs and is somewhat naive. Daniel's return and her feelings for him are challenging those beliefs.

Edited by Endeavour
  • Love 2

When Daniel wakes up and looks at the wall, there is no note there. He put it up just before he left. If I'm reading it clearly, it says, "Dear George, Came by to see you. Messed up your wall. I'm sorry. Daniel Holden."

It looks like Trey was setting Daniel up for George's disappearance. I don't think Trey planned on Daniel taking George's phone, but that could be incriminating too. I just hope that Trey's daughter will tell the police that her dad was gone all night.

I just love Tawney's character and the actress playing her. I love that her religion is not ridiculed, just as no religious person has been in the series. 

I'm glad Daniel's mom apologized to Ted Sr. I'm glad he graciously accepted her apology. It was interesting to learn that she married him not loving him as she knew he should be loved. And, again, he was gracious about this. I said before that he's a saint, and I hope he stays that way. Some people are just good and kind. We don't need to have every good character in movies or TV do something bad. I know there are shades of grey, but in this case I want Ted Sr to stay just as he is, always doing and saying the right thing. Somehow that makes him more real and believable.

I was kind of surprised that Daniel sounded exactly the same when he was a kid. I understand the show would want to use Aden Young for that important audio, but I still think he should have sounded different.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

Usually, I never care about rooting for characters or making sure a lead is likable, but with Daniel, I just can't get too invested in his freedom because of his spaced out speech pattern and general strangeness. I was really into season 1, but this season is just more of the same. I wish it had just been a mini-series with a resolution at this point.

• Love 2

When Daniel wakes up and looks at the wall, there is no note there. He put it up just before he left. If I'm reading it clearly, it says, "Dear George, Came by to see you. Messed up your wall. I'm sorry. Daniel Holden."

You're right.  Shoot, I guess I just made that up, Trey signing the note, because that's what I wanted to happen.

I've decided that Daniel didn't kill Hanna and that Trey was lying when he told Daniel she was a slut.  Daniel would have known, or suspected, or heard something.  It might even have come out at trial.

I'm anxious to see what happens with Foulkes and Daggett, now that Daggett knows that the initial investigation was so shoddy. 

I don't know why Jared followed Bobby Dean, except maybe to make sure he and his buddies didn't go after Daniel again.  ??

I think Teddy asked Jared something like, "How would you feel in his shoes?" So I think Jared was curious as to how Bobby was doing. I didn't like that scene. It was too coincidental that Jared just happened to see Bobby crying in his mother's arms.

I just love Tawney's character and the actress playing her. I love that her religion is not ridiculed, just as no religious person has been in the series. 

. . .

I was kind of surprised that Daniel sounded exactly the same when he was a kid. I understand the show would want to use Aden Young for that important audio, but I still think he should have sounded different.

I also find Tawny kind of annoying. She doesn't want to be a real wife to Teddy, she doesn't want to admit to feelings for Daniel, she doesn't do much of anything really but act holier-than-thou. I would think that both Teddy and Daniel would be more attracted to someone a bit more dynamic.

I too was bothered by the fact that it was Daniel's current voice on the recording!

Okay, Tawney. I do love it that a religious character is being treated with respect, and early in the series I found her character pretty authentic, but I'm starting to find her religio-babble less than believable coming from a small-town evangelical. In this episode I officially began finding her a tad annoying.

Overall I didn't "feel it" this episode, but I'm excited to see how the season wraps up.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot . . . so Janet and Ted Sr. had that bittersweet conversation about their marriage, which ended on a decidedly sweet note . . . then Amantha and Jon stopped by the house . . . and I totally thought that they were going to discover the old folks in the midst of, or just after, an amorous encounter. Anyone besides me? (My adult kids ALWAYS text before stopping by, and I'm convinced it's because they're terrified of this exact scenario.)

• Love 2

Anyone besides me?

Yes!

Tawney is not annoying me yet. I think she's childlike (naive) in her own way just as Daniel is. She will, however, start annoying me if she keeps toying with the situation.

• Love 1

Granted this show is definitely rooted in the small town, good ol boy mentality, but was it even legal for the sheriff to disclose what Teddy told him to the senator? Let alone for the senator to pass on that information himself.

What is he even doing involved in this thing to begin with? He's not a DA anymore, it may have been his case before, but I don't see how that would entitle him to be privy to what's going on now.

• Love 1

then Amantha and Jon stopped by the house . . . and I totally thought that they were going to discover the old folks in the midst of, or just after, an amorous encounter. Anyone besides me? 

ME TOO. 

Then again, my mind is always in the gutter so there's that.

• Love 2

I wanted to scream at Daniel last week when he trusted Trey enough to road-trip to Florida with him, and then to just trip with him---who does drugs with someone who helped send them to death row?---and then this week he just went around touching every dang thing in the trailer and I wanted to scream at him some more. Or grab him and shake some healthy suspicion into him.

I get that he's...stunted--I guess is the word to use--and I get why, but I get frustrated with him being so easily led, whether it's by Trey or Lezlie with a Z.

I really liked when he showed a little fight, a spark of something, during the scene where Jon explained the plea deal to him.

"See, Amantha? It is a game." Loved his delivery of that line. He seemed to really get everything that was going on, how little his life and freedom mean to those working against him, but he didn't show that same understanding of motive around Trey, someone he shouldn't have trusted as far as he can throw. He seemed to be reacting as "normally" as we've ever seen him right then.

Maybe it's just inconsistent writing, because the Daniel who we saw in that recliner is not a man who would've trusted Trey, IMO.

Will those stripped sheets show up on the riverbank or in D's mom's garage? I assume Trey took them to make it look like Daniel wrapped Georgie's body in them. And Daniel took his mom's car for a few days during the Lezlie party romp, right? So that could all look pretty bad for him. I mean, they put him on death row with a coerced confession while he was high and ignored multiple semen samples on the victim, so this should be a slam-dunk in that town.

I couldn't decide which was grosser this episode: Trey's vomit-encrusted face or Foulkes going to Ted Sr. to spill the (coffee) beans. I hope Ted Sr. continues to be awesome and doesn't turn on Daniel. He seems to be such a good person; I can't imagine this one story will change his support of Daniel, especially not if he talks to Teddy and Teddy tells him he taunted D and D was teaching him a lesson.

I was really glad Janet apologized to Ted Sr., too.

I wonder if Daniel's "guilt" turns out to be that he witnessed the girl's rape and murder and was unable ( because of fear and/or being stoned) to try to save her

I think this or something close to this is likely. He stumbled back on the scene at the end of it all, maybe even tried to stop it but was too late, then Trey convinced him of his (D's) guilt.

I just hope we get some answers before the end of the season. And I hope we get a third season.

• Love 2

I couldn't decide which was grosser this episode: Trey's vomit-encrusted face or Foulkes going to Ted Sr. to spill the (coffee) beans.

Oh, vomit encrusted face hands down for me.

I hope Ted Sr. continues to be awesome and doesn't turn on Daniel. He seems to be such a good person; I can't imagine this one story will change his support of Daniel, especially not if he talks to Teddy and Teddy tells him he taunted D and D was teaching him a lesson.

I'll have to rewatch, but Ted Sr. did look angry to me. I think he will cool a bit towards Daniel, but also think he knows his son and will want to get the whole story.

• Love 2

I'm sorry but I just cannot watch this show anymore. I recognize that Daniel went to prison when he was 18/19 and has been there for 20 years, but he keeps doing the stupidest stuff to put himself in danger over and over again.

As much as I appreciate the nuances of the writing and the acting on this show, which I really WANT to love, I can't watch waiting for the other shoe to drop where Daniel is concerned.

Yeah, this show is starting to stutter for me.  It was so great for a while, but I don't look forward to watching it anymore.  When I saw the vomit encrusted faces, I rolled my eyes.  Then when Daniel was riding his bike, I told myself that if they had a long honk from one of the cars passing him by, I'd turn it off. And of course, there was the rig with the long toooooot.  Ugh.  I don't know why that sort of thing annoys me, but it's one of those pet peeves I have with tv and film.  You know who does the long honk when they pass cyclists or walkers on the road?  Assholes, that's who.  Why does every passing driver on tv have to be a damn asshole?  Normal people would just tap the horn (if that) before they pass, just as a little "hey, I'm here and I see you and I'm gonna pass you by so don't flip out."  Ugh ugh.

I still thinking Daniel killed Hannah, though I do believe it was an accident or a crime of passion.  However, it seems like it isn't going to matter in the long run.  There's not going to be any real justice, because as Daniel says, it's just a game for the people who are supposed to be ensuring justice happens.  

• Love 1

I'm still in love with this show. I'm not in camp Tawney though, I almost can't stand her. I can't understand why Daniel would even like her. Her connection to Ted Jr would make me stay the hell away from her.

And yes Daniel keeps doing stupid mistakes but he's been locked up for most of his life, he's like a 18/19 year old let loose with no guidance and he's trusting all the wrong people. I feel sorry for him but then wants to slap him, we have a love/hate relationship ;)

Amantha & Jon are too cute. Dreading what's to come.

I just found this show two weeks ago and this is my first visit to a social media about it, will there be a season 3? It's just so slow-moving - I love that tho - so it feels like we'll need like 5 seasons to get to the truth.

• Love 1

Welcome, @MorbidPet!

I'm still loving the show this year although it's not quite as captivating as the first season. Perhaps it's because of Daniel's reckless behavior, along with how he's obviously being set up by Trey to get back on death row.

I don't think Daniel raped or killed Hannah. I believe because he was high years ago that he honestly doesn't know if he committed the crime or not. Those scenes of him listening to his own confession and strangling the pillow are merely ways of trying to jog his memory and convince himself whether he might've been capable of the crimes.

My favorite part of this episode was after Tawney brought Daniel home from Florida. Listening to Jon talk the plea deal and the discussion with the family about what he should do.....well, that's the most coherent we've seen Daniel since his release from prison and unlike a Daniel we've witnessed before IMO. Completely "normal" in speech and behavior. Even firing up the grill and preparing the steaks.

I'm thinking that Tawney cutting emotional ties with Daniel contributed to his sudden behavior in the later scenes and I believe we'll see a less reckless Daniel now.

There has to be a third season. There are too many unanswered questions about the actual Hannah events, a possible retrial AND the fallout of Daniel's manufactured connected to George's disappearance. It can't all be resolved in just two more episodes.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

Thanks Fisher King. Nice to be here :)

I'm really hoping for a third season, cause like you said there's so much unresolved matters & also cause I'm in love with the show. There's really not much you can find on/about this show on the internet. I can't even find it on spoiler.tv :(

So, I just found this show this past weekend. I've watched all the episodes (can you say marathon!), except for the last 2, and I haven't read about them here so I won't be spoiled.

What an amazing show! I'm glad to hear there's a 3rd season planned; I'm kind of dragging out seeing the last two episodes because I don't want it to end!

I live in the Deep South, and these characters ring so very true to me. (Aside: we seemed to be blessed with a surfiet of really well-written shows these days - if you can find them!) I can't figure out at all where things are going. I think I need to rewatch the road trip episode - that's the downside of marathoning 14 shows - missing important details in the rush to see more more MORE! I did wonder at the beginning of that trip to Florida if Trey wasn't going to be setting up Daniel in some way. Daniel is so damaged that I get really anxious for him when he's dealing with these awful people. As a parent myself, I don't know how his mom doesn't smother him with protection. I know it was tough for me just when my son was deployed in the service for a way shorter amount of time. I couldn't be around him enough when he returned. OTOH, I guess his mom was visiting him in prison all along.

This is my first post here, and I really like the website! No one I know IRL has watched (or even heard of) Rectify, so it's always great to find a place to talk about it. yay google!

Edited by pdub
  • Love 7

I really don't understand how Tawney and Daniel have such a deep relationship and are in love. They had all of 2 short conversations, mostly about God, and they are in love? I understand having a little crush, but they barely spent any time together to develop more than that.

• Love 1