Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I hope they will show replays, because I'm going to miss a chunk of the figure skating events.   :(

I heard the NBC Sports app is going away? Is this true? If so, I hope some other platform will be broadcasting the event live via app. I haven’t watched the Olympic figure skating on TV in years  because the coverage is so awful. The NBC Sports app was great in that it showed the entire competition live and made it available on replay. Hopefully the same will happen for these Games. 

• Love 2
On 1/21/2022 at 10:20 AM, JTMacc99 said:

image.png.95b7ac93864f21991751395824b9eac7.png

Ack. This reminds me of the ugly, awkward figures from the Lillehammer Games.

(I still remember marking the figure skating days on the calendar for the 1992 Albertville Games. I was really looking forward to those).

I hope the US women don't disappoint again. I miss the days when we dominated this event.

• Love 3

I'm very curious to find out if it's Karen or Mariah for the team event. I would personally go for Karen even with the UR issues but I acknowledge that it's kind of cold to bypass the reigning national champion especially when Mariah has comparable PCS. I like them both so it's a tough call.

I feel like Cain and LeDuc earned their spot. Another tough call but I'd like to see them get a medal.

Weird that Alysa isn't even really in the conversation regarding the team event. I'm curious how her dad feels about that.

Definitely want C/B for the rhythm dance.

I'd prefer Jason for the short and Nathan for the long but that might be asking too much of Nathan. In reality though I'm guessing it'll be Nathan for the short and Vincent for the long.

It would be interesting if the Russians put Shcherbakova for the short and Trusova for the long. That way three Eteri girls would walk away from a gold medal.

• Love 2

I'm still not sure why the team events can't have two skaters per event (ie, one pair for the short, another for the long) if the country chooses to.

Not sure who the US will pick for their team, but pretty sure the russians will use trusova or sherbachova for the team event.

Interesting that Alyssa is not even in the mix for the team event.  Wasn't she once billed at the NBT for the US ladies?  I wonder what changed.

Looking forward to all the events.  And wondering if the media will te;; us who tests positive for covid, regardless if they are allowed to skate or not.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

That just seems like some incredibly poor planning. Why didn’t he do the tests earlier and travel with the rest of the Canadian team? I know COVID makes everything way more complicated, but shouldn’t there be someone in the Canadian Federation organizing tests and deadlines for the skaters? 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm very curious to find out if it's Karen or Mariah for the team event. I would personally go for Karen even with the UR issues but I acknowledge that it's kind of cold to bypass the reigning national champion especially when Mariah has comparable PCS. I like them both so it's a tough call.

I feel like Cain and LeDuc earned their spot. Another tough call but I'd like to see them get a medal.

Weird that Alysa isn't even really in the conversation regarding the team event. I'm curious how her dad feels about that.

Definitely want C/B for the rhythm dance.

I'd prefer Jason for the short and Nathan for the long but that might be asking too much of Nathan. In reality though I'm guessing it'll be Nathan for the short and Vincent for the long.

It would be interesting if the Russians put Shcherbakova for the short and Trusova for the long. That way three Eteri girls would walk away from a gold medal.

I’m so nervous about this! There are definitely going to be deserving people left off and heartbroken.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Jeddah said:

That just seems like some incredibly poor planning. Why didn’t he do the tests earlier and travel with the rest of the Canadian team? I know COVID makes everything way more complicated, but shouldn’t there be someone in the Canadian Federation organizing tests and deadlines for the skaters? 

I think the problem is that he’s still testing positive from a previous infection. The article kept specifically stating he was waiting for a negative result, and not just results in general.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I'm betting COVID killed her chances. She underperformed for the short and never got redemption for the long, and the fact that she isn't flying out until Friday, suggests she might be in limbo clearing the testing requirements. 

• Love 4

Alysa didn't compete at this year's Nationals. She tested positive before the competition began. Her growth spurt issues seem to linger and I don't think her switch to a new coach right before Nationals has done anything to calm TPTB's fears.

I am prejudiced, but I really want Jason to do the short in the Team competition. First, his Sinnerman program is superb and has consistently gotten high GOE's. Secondly, Team is realistically the only competition he can medal in. However, I am old enough to remember Paul Wylie at the 1992 Olympics where he came from nowhere to beat all the great jumpers for silver (and should have won gold IMHO), so maybe I'm selling Jason short.

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 7

Aha! So it's that time again.

Time to check on Tessa and Scott's basement children. How are they doing? Has anyone checked on them lately?

My daughter is HUGE into figure skating now even though she has not been trapped in the basement as a secret love child. She's been taking lessons, her crossover is improving every day. We watched the US championships and she is super excited for the Olympics.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Alysa didn't compete at this year's Nationals. She tested positive before the competition began. Her growth spurt issues seem to linger and I don't think her switch to a new coach right before Nationals has done anything to calm TPTB's fears.

I am prejudiced, but I really want Jason to do the short in the Team competition. First, his Sinnerman program is superb and has consistently gotten high GOE's. Secondly, Team is realistically the only competition he can medal in. However, I am old enough to remember Paul Wylie at the 1992 Olympics where he came from nowhere to beat all the great jumpers for silver (and should have won gold IMHO), so maybe I'm selling Jason short.

She competed the first night. 

17 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I could have sworn she didn't, but looking it up, I see that you're right. And I was there! But, as I said, I am old (and obviously forgetful!) Thanks for the correction.

No problem! I do think the coaching change and stuff with her dad is why she is not competing at the team event. I think her only chance was if she had done well both nights. 

Shouldn’t there be a policy for positive tests because of previous infections? Is the policy really just wait it out until a negative test and hope it’s in time? If that’s the case I can see why Russia dumped Kolyada. Why would any federation risk it at this point? I hope the alternates for Alysa and Keegan are ready to go!

3 hours ago, Minneapple said:

Aha! So it's that time again.

Time to check on Tessa and Scott's basement children. How are they doing? Has anyone checked on them lately?

My daughter is HUGE into figure skating now even though she has not been trapped in the basement as a secret love child. She's been taking lessons, her crossover is improving every day. We watched the US championships and she is super excited for the Olympics.

Omg. The blogger hasn't posted in months, ever since Scott had a (non-basement) child with his fiance Jackie Mascarin. I assume the four basement children have been squirreled away with Tessa?

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

Shouldn’t there be a policy for positive tests because of previous infections? Is the policy really just wait it out until a negative test and hope it’s in time? If that’s the case I can see why Russia dumped Kolyada. Why would any federation risk it at this point? I hope the alternates for Alysa and Keegan are ready to go!

Yes there should be which is why the IOC should have stepped in and made China adopt a better policy..

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Alysa was at team processing in LA, so she seems like she's good to go (and might have already arrived in Beijing at this point). There is indeed a different set of protocols for people who have recently contracted covid that involves a doctors note explaining the date you had it and a statement that you've recovered, but you also have to have two negative tests (I think it's something like a minimum of 24 hours apart, maybe?), I guess to show that you don't still actively have covid. China has a very strict immigration policy overall, and part of the reason both the US and Canada chartered planes for their athletes (in addition to maximizing safety) is that, at least from my understanding, China virtually isn't allowing general flights from North America right now.  

In the IOC/China's very mild defense, I could see, ahem, some countries trying to slip athletes by the protocols even if they were still testing positive by falsifying information about when they had it and when they allegedly recovered, or even pretending people had it to try to avoid the protocols altogether. I mean, look what happened with Djokovic and the Australian Open. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

I see someone beat me to posting the schedule.

I'm surprised the pairs event is last, it's usually the ladies.

The anticipated sweep by the Russian women reminds me of how it was hoped for in the 1992 and 1998 Games by the American women.

(I swear, I have nothing against other countries, but I really miss when the US women owned this sport)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I'm surprised the pairs event is last, it's usually the ladies.

China has a really good shot at pair's gold (their only real shot at any figure skating medal, actually), so I'm positive that China pushed for this change.

11 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Yes there should be which is why the IOC should have stepped in and made China adopt a better policy..

The IOC is in absolutely no position to step in and tell the Chinese government (or any other country's government, for that matter) how to manage its COVID protocols/policy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's no surprise that Dance is being split, but I figured they'd go with C/B in the RD and H/D in the FD. 

I'm surprised that C/B aren't doing the RD. I like their FD but it seems like the reception to it has been mixed.

I don't remember being this excited for the team event before. I feel like the US really has a shot at the silver medal. I feel like three countries are in the mix for bronze. (I hope Japan makes it happen and medals for the first time.)

I like that things aren't as predictable this year.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

China has a really good shot at pair's gold (their only real shot at any figure skating medal, actually), so I'm positive that China pushed for this change.

The IOC is in absolutely no position to step in and tell the Chinese government (or any other country's government, for that matter) how to manage its COVID protocols/policy.

IOC worked closely with the Japanese government for its covid policy during the games. The only other games that happened during the pandemic. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Avaleigh said:

I don't remember being this excited for the team event before. I feel like the US really has a shot at the silver medal. I feel like three countries are in the mix for bronze. (I hope Japan makes it happen and medals for the first time.)

I don’t remember being this nervous about the team event before either! They really do have a shot at a silver! I’m just so nervous they’ll blow it somehow. I hope that doesn’t happen. There are so many skaters on this team that I really like, and I want them to get Olympic medals!

I hope Japan gets on the podium too. They have stronger pairs and dance then they’ve ever had, so this is their chance. I’m curious about which singles they’ll put on the team.

• Love 1

I was trying to quote someone's comment about China's chances in pairs, but my phone is acting wonky.

Anyway, it made me think of the fact that Chen Lu is to this day, the only singles Olympic and World medalist from China.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’m assuming they aren’t splitting pairs. Cain and LeDuc got robbed! They are National Champions, and it’s not like Knierim/Fraizer have huge international scores.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 5
Just now, choclatechip45 said:

I didn't realize the team event started tonight so now I am really excited!

That’s what’s so great about the team event! We already get skating before the Olympics officially start!

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I’m assuming they aren’t splitting pairs. Cain and LeDuc got robbed! They are National Champions, and it’s not like Knierim/Fraizer have huge international scores.

It's a difficult situation, because Cain and LeDuc are National Champions by default. Knierim and Frazier's International average is about 15 points higher than Cain/LeDuc this season, and while they'll never outskate the Chinese or Russian pairs, they have a better chance of beating the Japanese pair, who are averaging about 5 points higher than Knierim/Frazier but 20 points higher than Cain/LeDuc.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

It's a difficult situation, because Cain and LeDuc are National Champions by default. Knierim and Frazier's International average is about 15 points higher than Cain/LeDuc this season,

Nope. 

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, HartofDixie said:

I wonder if they are waiting until the last moment to choose between Mariah and Karen?

Women’s entries aren’t due until tomorrow morning. My guess is they’ll go with Marian but I’m hoping for Karen. 

16 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

It's a difficult situation, because Cain and LeDuc are National Champions by default. Knierim and Frazier's International average is about 15 points higher than Cain/LeDuc this season, and while they'll never outskate the Chinese or Russian pairs, they have a better chance of beating the Japanese pair, who are averaging about 5 points higher than Knierim/Frazier but 20 points higher than Cain/LeDuc.

They have not averaged anywhere near 15 points higher this season. Each teams got one 3rd and one 4th on the Grand Prix. K/F’s highest on the Grand Prix was 202.97, and C/L was 202.79. Cain/Leduc went clean at Nationals, so it wasn’t guaranteed Knierim/Frazier would have won.

ETA: Or what @healthnut said.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 2