Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E02 : Big Opening No.2

• Start Topic

Okay, now that I've seen them all, my faves are Kornbread, Bosco, Lady Camden, and Angeria. I also like Kerri Colby a lot, and those were the F5 I'd count this season as a win. Kornbread could very well win - perhaps Ru got it right this time after two flops.

I guess everyone is just going to ignore Scaredy Kat on UK Drag Race, who was the first straight queen (that I know of, I can't watch the other international versions) and that did air in the US. 

And am I crazy? I remember hearing something about a Bio queen on this season. Or was it UK?

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Ananayel said:

Okay, now that I've seen them all, my faves are Kornbread, Bosco, Lady Camden, and Angeria. I also like Kerri Colby a lot, and those were the F5 I'd count this season as a win. Kornbread could very well win - perhaps Ru got it right this time after two flops.

I guess everyone is just going to ignore Scaredy Kat on UK Drag Race, who was the first straight queen (that I know of, I can't watch the other international versions) and that did air in the US. 

And am I crazy? I remember hearing something about a Bio queen on this season. Or was it UK?

The Bio Queen was on UK yea 

• Love 1

I was kind of living for Alicia Keys as a guest this week.  She looked beautiful and had great things to say to the queens, including some inspirational words.

I enjoyed Lady Camden's looks and talent- very creative.  Angeria has some amazing fashions.  I loved how much the queens were getting along and uplifting each other.  Too bad about Daya Betty... I bet she had some great looks in store for us.  I would much rather have no eliminations during the first episodes.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Keywestclubkid said:

The Bio Queen was on UK yea 

So then, in S15 US version, there will be a bioqueen. S16 at the latest. Sort of like how, in Doctor Who, the Master regenerating into Missy laid the groundwork for a female Doctor. 

• Love 2

Algeria reminds me so much of Jaida Essence Hall.

My fave so far is Maddy. Not because she (he?) did the best but I like her vibe and I'm interested in her story.

Sorry to see Daya Betty go. I like her drag name and she's a cute boy.

I don't like Alicia Keys.  Her cheers and encouraging words during the performances were so non-expressive. I always feel like "she can't be bothered."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Out of this group of girls Angeria was the number one stand out. She’s funny she’s witty and her looks were the most polished… personality wise I still like the first group of girls ..  

She sounds just like Jaida Essence Hall. 

• Love 3

I can’t believe nobody on the panel got Lady Camden’s reference to the movie “Center Stage”! It was the similar outfit, same music, and most of the same moves from the big finale of that movie: Center Stage Final Dance

I was so disappointed that they didn’t acknowledge the reference because Lady Camden is officially one of my favorites for doing that performance on drag race.

I don’t like that they are using Maddie for buzz and are clearly ready to boot her for any minor flaw. She was one of the few girls who brought a real talent and yet she was in the bottom three even with her awesome runway look. That was nonsense.

I’m also disappointed that Daya Betty wasn’t better. I wanted to like her as much as I liked Crystal Method, but nope. 

At least the right queen won the episode, in my opinion. 

• Love 9

Maddy seems sweet, thoughtful, and a little shy, not at all the kind of contestant who sucks up all the energy and attention of the show, which is what I feared when they first announced a straight queen.  In fact, that seems like the last thing Maddy wants.

I totally share the love for both Angeria and Lady Camden— maybe I’m too hopeful, but I almost feel like the show has gotten the message that the best seasons are the ones where the contestants are cool and supportive of each other, and the worst are the ones where there are manufactured villains who (as I mentioned above) suck up all the energy and attention of the show.  Angeria and LC stand out not just as performers but also as leaders and compassionate people.

One thing negative I will say about this episode is that the talents for the talent show felt less varied than they did last week.  Most were just doing lip sync variations, one after the other, and while several were good, last week felt like we got a better blend of everything from comedy to dance to jump rope.  It’s why I was a little annoyed with the judges being so hard on Maddy— at least Maddy was trying something more outside the box.

• Love 14

My top five would be Kornbread, Bosco, Willow Pill, Angeria and Lady Camden.  I doubt it will work out that way.  Next week I could fall in love with Jorgeous or Jasmine Kennedie.  

I've been feeling a bit of Drag Race fatigue so I am glad that this cast seems extra good.

But I keep hearing about another game changer.  I am hoping that it isn't like Allstars where an eliminated queen battles back into the competition.  I'd like a good old season of drag race without all the cute twists and turns.

• Love 3

This is a fun group, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the groups merge. Deja Skye seems like she can give June a run for the earnest money, so I hope they lighten up a little. It can only help them. I have always LOVED "Falling," so it was cool to hear in for the lip sync. This feels like the first actual Alicia Keys track that's ever been done on Drag Race, which is something of a surprise. She's pretty reserved in contrast to Lizzo, but she still had a lovely presence.

Maddy's guitar playing was solid, but as Angeria noted, a little boring. And her look in the talent show was not at all fabulous. I think she landed exactly in the right place: Not in the bottom, but in the step your pussy up mark. I do not LOVE the whole "gold star" thing making its way onto Drag Race though. That is one aspect of gay culture that does come off pretty misogynistic, and I would hate for it to be more normalized into the mainstream.

I think Angeria was the correct winner, but Lady Camden was a great close second, and Jasmine was also pretty flawless. I cover Jasmine's wig from her entrance look too. The cheerleader routine could've been so hilarious, and I don't know why it wasn't. The jokes were there, they just didn't hit.

For the record, I think Scaredy Kat claimed to be bi and was at that time in a relationship with a cisgirl who also did drag. So I think Maddy is the first totally hetero cisdude queen. Jury's still out on whether it's totally necessary to bring in a straight dude, but he acquitted himself well enough in the first outing and seems like a pleasant person.

Anyway, another solid opening episode! Can't wait to see them all meet one another next week!

• Love 6

Deja Sky was serving Kimchi from the neck up in her entrance--just without Kimchi's amazing fashion.  Diabetty's runway look was boring, crafty and ill-fitting; I liked her but I wish she was better.  Jasmine's gold gown was super glam. so was Anje who definitely deserved that win.  I wonder if Maddy had a plan if they had to lipsync in that costume?  Thankfully her jazzy guitar was good: too restrained, but definitely better then the crappy lipsyncs that dominated the 'talent' show. 

3 hours ago, Rai said:

For the record, I think Scaredy Kat claimed to be bi

Scaredy Kat is bi, period.  Bisexuals really don't appreciate people implying that they're actually straight or gay based on who they're currently dating. 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4

She had so many examples to choose from: Bowie and Kiss in the 70s, Prince and multiple hair bands in the 80s -  all of whom wore drag while playing the guitar - yet Maddy Morphosis shows up like Joy Behar making a court appearance in 1990? I don't get it.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Glade said:

Scaredy Kat is bi, period.  Bisexuals really don't appreciate people implying that they're actually straight or gay based on who they're currently dating. 

Yes, agreed. I was noting the bi part since there was some confusion as to whether she was the first straight queen or if Maddy was. I say Maddy is because Scaredy was bi.

Edited by Rai
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I don’t like that they are using Maddie for buzz and are clearly ready to boot her for any minor flaw. She was one of the few girls who brought a real talent and yet she was in the bottom three even with her awesome runway look. That was nonsense.

I thought Maddy's placement was correct. Angeria, Jorgeous, Jasmine and Camden all did dancing/lip syncs, but they also showed a lot of talent. Putting Maddy in fifth, with Deja and Daya behind her, felt right.

If the producers wanted Maddy gone, they would have put her in the bottom, where she couldn't possibly have delivered a good lip sync in that outfit. I don't think they want to get rid of her before the week 1 queens get a chance to react to her being cishet.

I liked Daya Betty, but she had no prayer of sticking around very long. I suspect that she was only cast because she knew Maddy - and they were hoping for a dramatic moment when she outed Maddy as straight. When that didn't happen, Ru had to step in and do the dirty work herself, like the shady bitch she is. 😄

Speaking of Daya, what was with Michelle saying that Daya's resemblance to Crystal makes her "a xerox copy of a xerox copy?" That's implying that Crystal is a copy of someone else, which hardly seems fair. Say what you want about Crystal, she was very unique.

Not only did Daya remind me of Crystal, and Angeria of Jaida, but Jasmine seems so much like Gigi Goode to me. We've got the final three from season 12! Let's hope there's no Sherry Pie!

Alyssa and Jorgeous gave off very similar vibes. First in the workroom, dancing queens, all about Latina pride, very cute as boys, but also giving off meaner vibes than anyone else.

I like the cast a lot overall, but I'm disappointed that they're so young. The oldest queens of the season (DeJa and Camden) are only 31. It seems like the producers don't want to cast anyone born before the '90s.

• Love 1

I love Jorgeous! What a firecracker.

That said both this week and last the judging was correct. Angeria and Kornbread both forces to be reckoned with. Yes Angeria reminds me somewhat of Jaida but it looks like she's alot more quirky and funny. My other fave is Willow Pill.

Maddie's runway will give Pythia a run for her money.

Overall a great start to Season 14 - much more excited than Season 13 - there seems to be much more personality this time.

• Love 3

It's unfortunate that people with actual talents (ballet dancing and guitar playing) don't fare well because Rupaul is looking for something a little more weird with a little less talent?

Straight guy doing drag seems disingenuous to me. For now. 

• Love 3
On 1/16/2022 at 12:00 AM, Rai said:

Yes, agreed. I was noting the bi part since there was some confusion as to whether she was the first straight queen or if Maddy was. I say Maddy is because Scaredy was bi.

Ok cool, thanks for clarifying.

Bring Lizzo back! 

I'm liking all the queens so far, as usual some are more polished than others but there's no one I truly instantly cannot stand so far so early in the game. Can't wait to see both groups meet next week. 

Why in the world couldn't the second batch of queens also be spun on the wheel?? The massive bowl of tic tacs was cute but not as exciting as the wheel. 

• Love 1
On 1/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, Blakeston said:

Speaking of Daya, what was with Michelle saying that Daya's resemblance to Crystal makes her "a xerox copy of a xerox copy?" That's implying that Crystal is a copy of someone else, which hardly seems fair.

I don't think that remark was intended to be commentary on Crystal, but rather implying Daya was something more like 2 levels of quality degradation from Crystal. Like, yeah, sure, recognizable resemblance, but not very good.

• Love 3
On 1/17/2022 at 5:24 PM, theatremouse said:

I don't think that remark was intended to be commentary on Crystal, but rather implying Daya was something more like 2 levels of quality degradation from Crystal. Like, yeah, sure, recognizable resemblance, but not very good.

Oof 😶

• Love 1