Type keyword(s) to search

The Process: Auditions, Training Camp and Squad

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, StellaCL said:

Oh this! There are only two seasons I can think off of the top of my head that they took 3 cut TCCs back. 

Season 13:  Brennan, Erin, and Madeline M.

Season 16: Tori, Ashlinn, Madeline S.

Only 3 next season seems harsh! I would probably invite all of them back from season 16, except Erin, the first TCC cut, and Ashley, who I like just fine, but needs improve dramatically to take a spot again.

Also, Season 4 had 3 returning TCCs ~ Sunny Cranfill, Brandi Kirby and Joanna Liad. All 3 made the team that year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I would LOVE to see Madisyn come back and reaudition. TCU girls must stick together. Also congrats to another TCU girl Alyssa for becoming an Ice Angel Line Captain. Still want her to audition to be a DCC but it's nice to see her thriving on another team. 

It’s nice they opened their arms to welcome her back she danced with them before in 2019 before she made tcu show girls 

• Love 2
On 1/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I would LOVE to see Madisyn come back and reaudition. TCU girls must stick together. Also congrats to another TCU girl Alyssa for becoming an Ice Angel Line Captain. Still want her to audition to be a DCC but it's nice to see her thriving on another team. 

I liked Madisyn as well. Would love to see her come back!

• Love 2
On 1/28/2022 at 6:40 PM, StellaCL said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZR_1hnOruT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
No reason Megan and Lea shouldn't make show group next year. Damn, those two excel at showmanship. They are basically models of how a DCC should dance here, Lea is on fire.

Elli is technically fine, but maybe she was tired in this. Lea and Megan are the standouts.

Second slide - Bre looks cute, is that Madisyn last year's TCC in the middle? You can tell these three aren't vets, not quite there yet.

Third slide - Jenn joins in, her and Victoria are pros, of course they are looking good. But Victoria's hair - it's too much and distracting. By this point, I am pretty sure she is never going to change it 🤷‍♀️

Jenn has been promoting Victoria a lot on her instagram, clearly pulling for her and her comeback. She even gets the hashtag #VKlooksgreatthough 

Wow Megan and Lea are AMAZING so fun to watch. No one else compares in the other videos. 

• Love 12

Kylie seems to get along with the other rookies.

I know dance is the main thing we look for but as a person who likes to look at the girls social media you can't deny you want a girl who gets along with the other girls to make it.

(She was my favorite rookie even before TC started because of her cute smile)

• Love 6

Do we think CMT MIGHT renew for season 17? I'm thinking they got another 3 seasons to make it 20 years and theres a part of me that thinks dear old Kelli and Charlotte may want to try hit that 20 mark with the show and make it past the 20 year on tv etc

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:

Do we think CMT MIGHT renew for season 17? I'm thinking they got another 3 seasons to make it 20 years and theres a part of me that thinks dear old Kelli and Charlotte may want to try hit that 20 mark with the show and make it past the 20 year on tv etc

If MTT is somehow benefiting the Cowboys financially, they will keep it around forever. Even if that means jumping from CMT to a different network.

Bottomline for the Jones' is increasing the Cowboys revenue. They are notorious for underpaying while growing their organization's coffers. It is briefly talked about in the articles/podcasts "America's Girls" by Sarah Hepola.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 1/30/2022 at 2:25 AM, EricaShadows said:

She announced it on social media (sorry, can't remember which one).

This is only speculation, but Kelli doesn't want any competition for Victoria.  It was rumored that, after Cassie Trammell and Meredith Oden were on the team together, Kelli decided only one legacy on the team at a time.  It was never explicitly stated that this was the case, but, after seeing the past few years (seasons 13, 14 and 15), it's likely the case.  If I remember correctly, the legacy that tried out between Cassie/Meredith and Victoria/Dayton/Madeline not only had technique/dance issues, but she had a "reputation" (I seem to remember hearing that she was in some sort of sex-related industry, maybe stripping or something more licentious like soft-core movies; can't remember what, but it would have been seriously damaging to the DCC image if she made the squad and her past came out OR she kept doing it while a DCC).

Anywho, the whole rumor of "one legacy at a time" gained more traction when Kelli heavily favored Victoria over Dayton.  Kelli seemed to be all over Dayton for technique, not enough power, etc., and even went as far as to say something along the lines of "you won't make the squad because of who you know/are related to", but heavily praised Victoria despite dance technique issues, weight issues, lying to Jinelle (and even to Kelli's face), etc.  No wonder Dayton was having issues when she was being criticized all the time.  It was speculated that Dayton was better overall then Victoria and Kelli was looking for reasons to cut her so was more harsh then necessary to make it happen (and to have one less person standing between Victoria and a spot on the squad).

While Madeline wasn't given the same treatment, she was, in a way, more direct competition for Victoria then Dayton.  Both Madeline and Victoria are similar in appearance (tall, leggy blondes), have similar technique and abilities, etc.  There was speculation Kelli was looking for reasons to either keep Madeline out of Training Camp altogether or cut her as soon as possible that year because of her resemblance to Victoria  Then Madeline didn't even make Training Camp the next year, allegedly for the same reasons.  Then, all of a sudden, she not only makes it to Training Camp, but the squad the ONE year Victoria isn't on the squad? This, and many other reasons, are why people think that Madeline will be cut if Victoria tries out again (especially if Kelli is still determined to put her back on the squad) plus the whole "two legacies are not allowed to be on the squad at once" rumor.

There was about 3 or 4 legacies that tried out after Cassie/Meredith left and before Dayton's first try. 1) was shown and her Mother's (Natasha) pic was shown. The other 2 (If I remember correctly without going back to old threads) that we were told about by Shelly, one tried out the same year Dayton and VK tried out and another that wasn't shown or was made known of on the show but we on this forum knew of because Shelly said so. I there was a 4th but I maybe wrong. 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:31 PM, cherryblossom said:

The problem with two legacies being VK & Madeline is that being an ambassador is not necessarily in VK’s bag of skills. Madeline would be gracefully answering questions with poise & articulate answers while VK…”I have no answers!”

I'm sorry I still found that answer from VK EXTREMELY FUNNY. It was like ... COME ON Kelli, YOU physically CHEWED Courtney Cook out her second or third year for "not being herself" all because she LOOKED at the table when answering her questions on. What about Kelsey Lowrance and her "50 yards" and you OPENING laugh at her (how rude and unprofessional Kelli) she retired after a few years and then you don't show prelims/semis/finals and theres some of us who wondered WHY Kelsey was not back, shes actually worn and KNOWS or hopefully goes on in your head to knows the expectations, unless she said 50 years again!!! LOL 

19 hours ago, StellaCL said:

If MTT is somehow benefiting the Cowboys financially, they will keep it around forever. Even if that means jumping from CMT to a different network.

Bottomline for the Jones' is increasing the Cowboys revenue. They are notorious for underpaying while growing their organization's coffers. It is briefly talked about in the articles/podcasts "America's Girls" by Sarah Hepola.

I don't think it was just the DCC's that was underpaid. I think alot of cheerleaders from other organisations was underpaid if we were to judge by the lawsuits

Edited by Uk-Eve
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Uk-Eve said:

I think they will try and keep it around long enough for Lennon (Cassie's daughter) to be on the team.  Have a triple legacy.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:

There was about 3 or 4 legacies that tried out after Cassie/Meredith left and before Dayton's first try. 1) was shown and her Mother's (Natasha) pic was shown. The other 2 (If I remember correctly without going back to old threads) that we were told about by Shelly, one tried out the same year Dayton and VK tried out and another that wasn't shown or was made known of on the showm but we on this forum knew of because Shelly said so. I there was a 4th but I maybe wrong. 

Wasn't there an African American girl who auditioned whose father was a Cowboys player?

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:
34 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:

I don't think it was just the DCC's that was underpaid. I think alot of cheerleaders from other organisations was underpaid if we were to judge by the lawsuits

It's the whole organization of the Dallas Cowboys. They are about increasing their revenue bottomline and are known for underpaying all staff as a whole. I wasn't talking about cheerleaders' salaries, although that is tangent of that. If MTT is creating dollar signs for the giant organization of the Dallas Cowboys through all sorts of channels, the Jones will be motivated to keep it around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

Wasn't there an African American girl who auditioned whose father was a Cowboys player?

Ah yea thats the other one. But then again what is "legacy" in the eyes of Kelli and Charlotte? Is legacy (in their eyes), someone whose mother was a former DCC or is it one whose father is a current or former Cowboys player or both? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Uk-Eve said:

Ah yea thats the other one. But then again what is "legacy" in the eyes of Kelli and Charlotte? Is legacy (in their eyes), someone whose mother was a former DCC or is it one whose father is a current or former Cowboys player or both? 

Only my interpretation as there is nothing in writing but I've always thought of a legacy as someone who's mother had been a DCC. I'd be interested in what others opinion is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PomPomPom said:

Only my interpretation as there is nothing in writing but I've always thought of a legacy as someone who's mother had been a DCC. I'd be interested in what others opinion is.

Or in Kelli and Charlotte's eyes thats not a legacy!!! Lol The fact they didn't promote the third legacy that tried out with VK and Dayton. I think in Kelli and Charlotte's eyes prob just people who are "current" staff members lol.

Tho Meredith Oden has a daughter right? I don't follow her on social media if so wonder how that would work with her daughter. Same as cassie's daughter lennon in another what? 12 or is it 13 years? (Lennon is 7 or 8? Or is she younger? Lost track)

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Uk-Eve said:

Or in Kelli and Charlotte's eyes thats not a legacy!!! Lol The fact they didn't promote the third legacy that tried out with VK and Dayton. I think in Kelli and Charlotte's eyes prob just people who are "current" staff members lol.

Tho Meredith Oden has a daughter right? I don't follow her on social media if so wonder how that would work with her daughter. Same as cassie's daughter lennon in another what? 12 or is it 13 years? (Lennon is 7 or 8? Or is she younger? Lost track)

Meredith Oden has two sons...no daughters. 

• Love 1
On 1/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, Lynnbo said:

Agree with all, but I think Armani sold it the most. Marissa has been one of my favorites since before even training camp when I stumbled across a post from her mom saying she was trying out.  

Anytime Armani is on the floor, she's always going to sell it the most!!   I love her style ~ she's so fun to watch!!! 

• Love 7
On 1/29/2022 at 8:24 AM, TB12 said:

Jenn ALWAYS struck me as the ultimate suck up and this just solidifies it for me. her head is planted so firmly up TPTB bums it sickening. Veruca auditioning is a mere formality imo. Maybe i'm wrong but I don't see that her spot isn't a lock already...

And still to this day, I think she's just "meh" as a dancer (Jennifer).  Never been a fan in any way. 

• Love 8

I agree that Jenn's media endorsement seems right in line for her and is cheesy-lame. She seems like she probably grew up in the world of studio cliques and now gets to be a queen bee of sorts in Dallas. If VK does try out again, I will be very interested in what we get to see of the discussions of her in the larger judging panels--as in, what folks besides K think and say about her (we almost never saw Judy saying anything about VK).

Is it too early to think that this is going to be one of the largest groups of returning vets? There are not many I'm eager to see retire, so that would be fine with me. Plus, a smaller rookie class might mean 1) more focus on each rookie for the show, and 2) more attention to vets and what training camp is like for them. Wishful thinking, I know.

• Love 2

I'm not sure if this goes here, but it made sense to me because it's audition-related: In one thread, someone posted a link to this article: https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/inside-dallas-cowboys-cheerleaders-fight-for-fair-pay/. What caught my eye about auditions is this line:

"Director Suzanne Mitchell and choreographer Texie Waterman were not so impressed with Dana, but a local photographer acting as one of the judges secured her spot. At the time, each judge had a “trump card” vote they could use on one candidate..."

Maybe there are too many judges to give everyone a power card to get a favorite into camp, but I kind of like this idea better than the fan vote they had for a while. I wonder when they got rid of this judging feature, and I think some version of it could be kind of fun. 

• Love 7
On 1/28/2022 at 12:28 PM, erikaelvis said:

I captured this photo of victoria on ig. She was doing an ad for some make up.  I CAN NOT believe how different she looks without makeup.  Its astounding.  Also Not a fan of hers at all but her arms look fantastic.

IMG_4640.PNG

She is so beautiful without her standard DCC makeup! If she would just alter the way she does her makeup I think it would make a world of difference for her and how she appears when she performs. Her current makeup is so harsh and just doesn’t mesh with her at all, it does nothing to amplify her natural beauty

• Love 5
On 1/17/2022 at 4:59 AM, StellaCL said:

VK is stunning with less makeup and darker hair. You see glimpses of it on social media. The more bleach and make up she layers on, the less natural pretty she is and more loud pretty. I prefer the former. 

On 1/19/2022 at 1:14 AM, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I have always said that Victoria needs to go darker. Either a darker blonde or light brown. Maybe even strawberry blonde?

Second attempt at quoting...

Victoria isn't naturally blonde... she's a brunette which suits her so much better I think. I do think she could sport the blonde but not the bleach blonde she normally wears. And the extensions need to go too.  PS don't know how old this picture is, but there is also a youtube video that shows her with this color.

image.png.60aa786bb99951782fd53cac2ab336fd.png

Edited by LilyD
Shortened the original post to the lines that mattered for my reply
  • Love 9

As for the audition process; does anyone know about your chances to get into TC on merit and looks only? You are facing a competition of hundreds of girls and most are pretty decent dancers at the very least so it's not easy to stand out. 

There have been rumours about the DCC scouting talented girls and I have wondered about the importance of having been scouted, be connected to someone close to the inner-circle or be personally introduced. CMT makes it look like a fair process that allows everyone an equal chance but I struggle to believe this. My gut feeling says that there is a pre-selection behind closed doors. They will let everyone perform (either live or on video) but if you're not pre-selected, it is going to be very hard to get noticed and invited to the next round. Maybe I'm wrong though...

• Love 6
On 1/31/2022 at 10:36 PM, ClassicPegg said:

Sn 2:  Candice Carr, Natalie Woods, Ryan Ray

Oh my gosh and Candice came back with that dyed jet black Madeleine Massingill hair and they were all ooooooh this is a new side of Candice! I didn't even recognize her that season (I still don't) and thought she was infinitely cuter with her light brown hair.

• Love 1

I will be on the lookout for Crystal this year.  She hit my radar a few years ago when she tagged herself a future DCC or something like that. She was in high school at the time and had done Camp DCC and seemed to be counting the minutes until she could audition for the team. She looked like this at age 17.  I made a note to check back in a few years and see if she showed up in any audition pics.

crystalssglamour_59921769_403664253556383_2016867979306190499_n.thumb.jpg.6513069fa2507480abb8f20e1a389498.jpg

Once she turned 18 (in 2020) Crystal changed her look and joined the Hunnies dance team in North Carolina.  The Hunnies are an independent dance team that is hired by local minor league teams to perform at games and events. (Hunnies bio here).

1472318120_crystalhunnies.jpg.bc68fca1e1610b48f9dd538a6a3d0c29.jpg
Crystal graduated from high school in 2021, and went to DCC prep class and a couple of college prep classes.

crystalssglamour_177475860_843224433204791_417904761940016615_n.thumb.jpg.a746f588b9c25e0d79b16974e628c077.jpg

So far this year, she's mentioned prep class for Arizona pomline. I think she grew up as a studio girl, so she would definitely benefit from a few years on a college dance team. She hasn't posted anything about DCC this year, but given her focus for the past years, I bet she will audition.

This is the only dance video I found. It's from the Hunnies youtube channel, but there are only a few videos and I think this is the only one she is in. (Admittedly I didn't look too hard, so there may be others.) It's hard to say how she'd do with DCC style, since the song they are dancing to is so slow it makes the whole team look low energy.

908823595_crystalhunnies2.thumb.jpg.a59b494b68c06d241317c3dba2ddf0bf.jpg

• Love 1
18 hours ago, LilyD said:

As for the audition process; does anyone know about your chances to get into TC on merit and looks only? You are facing a competition of hundreds of girls and most are pretty decent dancers at the very least so it's not easy to stand out. 

There have been rumours about the DCC scouting talented girls and I have wondered about the importance of having been scouted, be connected to someone close to the inner-circle or be personally introduced. CMT makes it look like a fair process that allows everyone an equal chance but I struggle to believe this. My gut feeling says that there is a pre-selection behind closed doors. They will let everyone perform (either live or on video) but if you're not pre-selected, it is going to be very hard to get noticed and invited to the next round. Maybe I'm wrong though...

I think you have to be a tremendous standout to come into auditions without any prior knowledge.  But I also don't think that the show hides that one bit - almost every season there's a bit about Judy, Charlotte and Kelli going through the profile sheets with head counts, etc. to make sure they don't "miss anyone."  They also frequently make references to reputation.  I can think of a handful of examples where they were surprised at someone's performance at auditions, as they were well known from the "dance community" but didn't perform up to that level.  I think those people often get a pass into round two so they can be scrutinized closer.   You also have to consider how vast the DCC network is - so many former DCC coach other teams, or are a friend of a friend.  The dance community is a small world.

Also, lots of people aren't great at freestyle, but do well at choreo...same goes for those who aren't great at a solo, but do a fantastic job at choreo in the final round.  I think that's a question of resources - if you have the bucks and time, you can have choreography done for you for both freestyle and a solo, and there are a million prep classes too.

In that way, I don't think it's different than most jobs - you can apply blindly and if you're an amazing candidate, you'll get noticed.  But a reference will get you to the top of the stack that much faster.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, kalibean said:

ame goes for those who aren't great at a solo, but do a fantastic job at choreo in the final round.  I think that's a question of resources - if you have the bucks and time, you can have choreography done for you for both freestyle and a solo, and there are a million prep classes too.

I read that and thought well some do well the opposite way around. The one that sticks out in my mind was a certain 5th year Angela where the judges said "how can you be weak on your solo and strong in the dcc choreography" I think it was that dentist guy judge, who worked with former dcc victoria (was her boss I think if I remembered correctly) who worked in his dental practice if it wasn't it was one ofthe guys who said it

Edited by Uk-Eve
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Uk-Eve said:

I read that and thought well some do well the opposite way around. The one that sticks out in my mind was a certain 5th year Angela where the judges said "how can you be weak on your solo and strong in the dcc choreography" I think it was that dentist guy judge, who worked with former dcc victoria (was her boss I think if I remembered correctly) who worked in his dental practice if it wasn't it was one ofthe guys who said it

Surely the solos are irrelevant for more than half the squad because they only dance on the field? They only need 16 for SG so everyone else just has to be good at power pom and that's it! Whilst I love the solos, DCC choreo and on field power are waaaaay more important!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, DCC-UK said:

Surely the solos are irrelevant for more than half the squad because they only dance on the field? They only need 16 for SG so everyone else just has to be good at power pom and that's it! Whilst I love the solos, DCC choreo and on field power are waaaaay more important!

Plus for solos people who have a great choreographer gets a better shot and that's a little unfair. (Hey but life is unfair)

• Love 5
On 2/15/2022 at 1:09 PM, Uk-Eve said:

That was the moment I was thinking of too - Angela might not be good at developing her own choreography or might not have had the money to hire it out.  But if she’s killer in the DCC style, especially if she’s had good years as a DCC, should be weighted less IMO.  They can’t be terrible, of course,  but if Judy and Kelli can’t tell the difference between bad choreography and bad dancers then bless their hearts. Lol. 

It’s like, how many candidates have we seen earn a Barbie and get cut in training camp? Strong dance in the solo should indicate an ability to develop, but some can’t get there fast enough. And then you have Erin that worked hard and came back strong. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, kalibean said:

It’s like, how many candidates have we seen earn a Barbie and get cut in training camp? Strong dance in the solo should indicate an ability to develop, but some can’t get there fast enough. And then you have Erin that worked hard and came back strong. 

Yes, Erin mastered both ends. The finesse and poise of a ballerina and the power pom of a DCC

• Love 5
On 1/11/2022 at 4:34 PM, StellaCL said:

Kylie, I don't know about? I like her, she's adorable. But I can't remember much about her dancing. 

Ashley, please do not invite her back if she is still a weak dancer. That's just rehashing the same stuff we have seen over and over again on MTT, like with Meredith. She would have to have a dramatic improvement for me to think she earned a spot over the others - I am kinda over DCC taking on weaker dancers just because they liked them.  

First let me say that I'm so glad this thread is back! I've missed it. Kylie was so sweet last season and I felt so bad for her getting cut even though I agreed with the decision. I feel the same as you do about Ashley. Inviting her to training camp if there's no sizable improvement would not be fair to her or the other candidates.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, TB12 said:

DCC branding is so dated Michelle’s hair is so 80s… 

A0FD9735-D6D9-482C-AE33-4D977A1C9E13.jpeg

Michelle did her hair that way she is dated when it comes to doing her hair 

Edited by Holly85
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Michelle did her hair that way she is dated when it comes to doing her hair 

Clearly Michelle did her own hair and obvs thinks it looks good. The whole brand screams 80s to me particularly the pink lipstick others wear...

• Love 2
On 2/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, PomPomPom said:

Yes, Erin mastered both ends. The finesse and poise of a ballerina and the power pom of a DCC

I remember Kelli saying at SG auditions something like Erin forgot about her ballerina roots. It was when she came back after being cut in TC the previous year.

Five of the current AA Ice Angels took a Michelle Keys prep class @ AT&T stadium so I bet they'll be auditioning this year.

Edited by MrsEVH
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ClassicPegg said:

LOL! Where did you do the 80s?  This is what I lived through!!

80's hair 1.jpg

Her big flip over in the front has some good volume going, she just looks so dated to me. Clearly not rocking the above but def not current imo...

• Love 3

Michelle's look is a little shocking to me, too! Yes, seems quite dated and extreme with the super blonde in front and heavy makeup and pink cut-out top. Whew. It's a look! 

Rewatching the last season again, and I'm more of a Kylie fan than I was before. I hope she can bring the power and memory, if she returns. 

I'm thinking they'll keep the online audition for at least the first round this year. It really must open the door to more potentially great dancers. Plus, it helps them regain those lost big numbers from auditions all those years ago! Kelli needs the high numbers. 😅  I wouldn't mind a first episode like last year, skipping to the finalists for training camp. I liked seeing more of the vets and rookies dancing and wasting less time on all the fluff and puff and terrible dancer sequences. I think they could have smoothed out the presentation and explained what they were doing better last year in the opening episode, but I liked seeing solos and the vets in the game right away. 

• Love 4

Another DCC prep class at the Ford Center with Michelle Keys and a bunch of DCC 

Looks like Ashley was there, but not sure.

Mel went, her post stated she just started back dancing 7 weeks after surgery. Hope it went well! Love her sassiness. 💕

This girl is new to me, but she looks really good. Allie Kate Aikens https://instagram.com/alli__kate?utm_medium=copy_link Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CaNjijVj26W/?utm_medium=copy_link DCC prep

(Looks like Ashley is behind her?)

Amanda Souks who is at Jen A’s classes often who I think could make it to TC this year. 
https://instagram.com/amandasouks?utm_medium=copy_link

Saw her there, she looked pretty good, but now can’t find it to link.  

There is many more, but I am tired, so feel free to identify some hopefuls. 

• Love 5