Type keyword(s) to search

I Need a Recipe!

• Start Topic

LOL. The sugar and the honey did not tame down the spice.

Per the internet, a half cup of butter and 2-4 TBS of cayenne is standard for this recipe.  I may have to make my own version. 

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
On 4/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, JTMacc99 said:

LOL. The sugar and the honey did not tame down the spice.

Per the internet, a half cup of butter and 2-4 TBS of cayenne is standard for this recipe.  I may have to make my own version. 

So this recipe is fried breaded chicken breast dipped in that super hot sauce?  How many breasts per that amount of sauce?  Is it swimming in sauce?  It seems to be a little like Buffalo chicken wings, which are dipped in hot sauce/butter mix?  

On 4/25/2023 at 11:09 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I was galivanting around Nashville this past weekend, and one of the stops my friends wanted to make was to get the standard Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich for lunch on Saturday. I had already done this the first time I was down there, so I got it out of my system previously, but I certainly wasn't against a spicy chicken sandwich.

Yeah, it's good stuff.  The "meat and three" meals of Nashville are not my thing, but I do like their hot chicken tradition (although I just get the chicken - and pickles, with some cole slaw - rather than a sandwich, as I don't like the white bread).  I like Hattie B's and Prince's.

I've never attempted to make it, even though I haven't been to Nashville in many years now (I used to go annually for work); there are quite a few restaurants here (and seemingly everywhere these days!) that do it well - and often with a bun I like far better than the traditional white bread, so I'll even get it as a sandwich.  I never fry chicken at home - while good, it's actually my least favorite preparation for chicken, so it's just something I occasionally eat elsewhere - and when it comes to Nashville hot, I want it fried rather than grilled or baked.

On 4/27/2023 at 9:45 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I did make this recipe I posted, and it is way too hot. I'm going to try a different one next time rather than just dialing down the cayenne. I'm sure that if I try a couple different ones, I'll find something I'll like.

But, while I've never made it myself, I think this is a good strategy; I did a quick perusal of recipes, and 3T was the most common, with recommendations to dial it back to two if you're heat sensitive and kick it up to anywhere between 4-6 if you like your spicy food to burn.  So, two tablespoons of cayenne shouldn't have made it way too hot for this dish (since you're not averse to hot), so I suspect it was more the combination and ratio of the other ingredients and you're indeed better off trying another recipe rather than additionally reducing the cayenne. 

(edited)
On 4/25/2023 at 11:09 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I was galivanting around Nashville this past weekend, and one of the stops my friends wanted to make was to get the standard Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich for lunch on Saturday. I had already done this the first time I was down there, so I got it out of my system previously, but I certainly wasn't against a spicy chicken sandwich.

And as it turned out, I forgot how much I like that particular style of hot chicken. I just took a quick spin of the Nashville hot sauce recipes on the internet, and I think I'll be giving this one a try.  My gut says that 3 TB of cayenne seems like a lot, but there are comments saying "I like it hot, so I'm doubling or tripling the cayenne". So I guess I'll go with the recipe as written and adjust going forward.

INGREDIENTS

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter , clarified preferred
  • 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper , more or less to taste
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 tablespoon honey , optional

INSTRUCTIONS

• Combine the butter, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and honey in a heavy bottom saucepan. Stir over low heat until combined. Mixture will not be smooth.

On 4/27/2023 at 10:17 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

Wow, 3 TBS cayenne does seem like a lot!

On 4/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, Mondrianyone said:

The African cayenne I have in my pantry, 3 Tbsp would set my hair on fire!

Any true cayenne pepper in this amount would make this inedible.

Edited by Leeds
  • Like 1

Following up on the pickled eggs discussion in the other topic, I make them frequently and split the batch with a friend who loves them. 

First I make a batch of pickled beets. They hang out for a few days to become pickled. 
IMG_3155.jpeg

Then I get a second mason jar, 18 eggs, and a little white onion and make pickled eggs

70277180380__2AA446CB-D901-4CC7-AF6E-065C105A2607.jpeg

After they hang out in the fridge for a few days, they do look just like the eggs in the recipe photo.  The whole thing is really, really easy to do. The hardest part is peeling 18 eggs and waiting around for things to become pickled.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

The key to making hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel is to steam them, not boil them. While I have steamed them in a steamer basket, I like using the EggPod more. It works in the microwave. The shells just slide off.

eggpods.jpg.b0de497c4ab8bcb354b2ff2330dab2bf.jpg

I find that pickling beets, cucumbers, and eggs for one day is sufficient.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5

My trick for peeling hard boiled eggs is cook on stove, cool in cold ice water and then put in my salad spinner. I usually do 6 eggs at a time and several spins of the salad spinner cracks all the shells all over and they are really easy to peel. I don't mind boiling on the stove...

Edited by Gramto6
  • Useful 4
19 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

Following up on the pickled eggs discussion in the other topic, I make them frequently and split the batch with a friend who loves them. 

First I make a batch of pickled beets. They hang out for a few days to become pickled. 
IMG_3155.jpeg

Then I get a second mason jar, 18 eggs, and a little white onion and make pickled eggs

70277180380__2AA446CB-D901-4CC7-AF6E-065C105A2607.jpeg

After they hang out in the fridge for a few days, they do look just like the eggs in the recipe photo.  The whole thing is really, really easy to do. The hardest part is peeling 18 eggs and waiting around for things to become pickled.

I've not done any pickling like this.  I'm confused.  Are you not showing the intermediate step of pickling the eggs/onions before mixing with the beets? 

5 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I've not done any pickling like this.  I'm confused.  Are you not showing the intermediate step of pickling the eggs/onions before mixing with the beets? 

The beets pickle first, and then you use both the beets and the beet pickling liquid in the process of pickling the eggs.  Here is the recipe that I linked.  NOTE: It is published as 8 eggs, but it makes 18 eggs. The rest of the ingredients are in a quantity to fill two standard mason jars with 9 eggs each and half of the beets. 

Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Beets and Eggs

Prep Time: 15 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Additional Time: 2 days

Ingredients

• 18 large eggs
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans whole pickled beets, juice reserved
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • ¾ cup cider vinegar
  • 12 whole cloves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper

Directions

1. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.
  2. Place eggs, beets, and onion in a non-reactive glass or plastic container. Set aside.
  3. Combine sugar, 1 cup reserved beet juice, vinegar, cloves, bay leaves, salt, and pepper in a medium-size, non-reactive saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Pour hot liquid over eggs, beets, and onion. Cover and refrigerate 48 hours before using.
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The key to making hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel is to steam them, not boil them.

This is really interesting!

I find that I just need to buy the eggs about a week before I boil them, and I have no problems. Eggs that are right out of the chicken seem to be the ones that fight with me the most no matter what my technique, although I rarely have attempted steaming. 

• Like 2

We've been adding a little  vinegar (either white or apple cider) to our egg boiling water and then running the eggs under cold water after.  The shells just seem to slide off now.  I was way to many years old before I learned that.  LOL.

I first learned about steaming eggs from Alton Brown on one of his shows. Then ATK also says to steam the eggs. I've never looked back since. I've tried all the other methods that involve immersing the eggs in water and come up with mixed results. Steaming never fails. I know about using older eggs, but steaming always works.

5 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

This is really interesting!

I find that I just need to buy the eggs about a week before I boil them, and I have no problems. Eggs that are right out of the chicken seem to be the ones that fight with me the most no matter what my technique, although I rarely have attempted steaming. 

That is true -- the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel after boiling.  

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

That is true -- the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel after boiling.

I've always thought this as well, but now I'm not so sure.

I hard-boiled (actually steamed, per J. Kenji López-Alt, the man with the most ethnically diverse name on earth) half a dozen eggs earlier this week. After I'd taken the eggs out of the fridge, I noticed I had four from the supermarket and two from our friends' chickens, which would've been much fresher, so it was a mixed batch. When I peeled them, the shells of the friend eggs slid off like they'd been sprayed with silicone. So now I don't know what to believe.

We are planning on starting a band called Chicken 16, though, after the hippest chicken in our friends' flock. I won't torture anyone here with the song titles we've come up with so far. You're welcome.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • LOL 5

I hard-boiled (actually steamed, per J. Kenji López-Alt, the man with the most ethnically diverse name on earth)...That's for damn sure!  I was just at his site yesterday, reading about food prep and wondered, again, about his name. Did he make it up? Is it a real name? Whatever...I enjoy his articles and great info'.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

About his name:

People ask me about my name. My mother is Japanese and my father is American of German descent. My parents named me James Kenji Alt. I have always gone by Kenji. When my wife, Adriana López, and I got married, we both changed our last names to López-Alt. I am not latino in any way, though I do visit Colombia at least once a year and love food from all over Latin America.

From his website, "About Kenji":

• Useful 4

On a whim, I bought a "Japanese cucumber" transplant late June and stuck it in an unused bed in my garden.  I am now collecting multiple foot long cucumbers every other day.  I canned some dill pickles last night, and am thinking I want to do some refrigerator Bread and Butter pickles next.

Has anybody made bread and butter pickles and have a recipe they prefer?  I think I've made the Alton Brown version in the past, but I'm open to something different/better.

• Useful 1

@JTMacc99

Recipes 

scroll for the freezer recipe
https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/vintage-pickle-recipes/

recipes and all things pickles

https://www.tasteofhome.com/?s=Pickles

And for those not afraid… 

it’s not so much a heat as it is a hit, big hit of warm cinnamon.  Made with apple rings is even better. But yeah, the red hots candy part throws people off. It’s a southern tradition recipe, called Christmas pickles for the color and served year round

Edited by stewedsquash
Added another
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 1

Any favorite green bean recipes (as a side dish, simple and fairly healthy)?  I detest them, but my parents like them, I'm doing the bulk of their cooking lately, and my local market had them on sale this week. 

Last time green beans were a featured special, I made a simple sautée with garlic, pepper, and lemon juice/zest.  I've perused a few similar recipes, but figured I'd check in here for recommendations.  Nothing cooked to death, please, even though it's not for me (who does not like any food - be it meat, pasta, or vegetable - cooked more than it must be); that burns off too many of the nutrients and when my mom is even slightly off her game it's like feeding a particularly obnoxious toddler getting her to eat a proper vegetable intake -- a crispy side dish I can make with minimal ingredients and entice her to eat her veggies, that will stand up to re-heating, is what I'm looking for.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Any favorite green bean recipes (as a side dish, simple and fairly healthy)?  I detest them, but my parents like them, I'm doing the bulk of their cooking lately, and my local market had them on sale this week. 

This is our favorite green bean recipe.  The fresh lemon juice sprinkled on the mushrooms & green beans is what makes it so good.

Green Beans with Mushrooms and Scallions

2 lbs green beans, ends trimmed

3 bunches scallions

2 Tbsps butter

2 Tbsps olive oil

½ lb large mushrooms, sliced

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Cook green beans for 6 minutes. Do not let them get soggy.

Lightly saute mushrooms and scallions in butter and oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Drain beans.  Toss all ingredients together with lemon juice.  Serve immediately.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Serve immediately.

I can't do that.  Is this something that will re-heat well?  I don't think I'll make it this time, as two of the dishes in this batch of food also have mushrooms, but that's definitely something they'll like, so I'll file it away for next time.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can't do that.  Is this something that will re-heat well?  I don't think I'll make it this time, as two of the dishes in this batch of food also have mushrooms, but that's definitely something they'll like, so I'll file it away for next time.

I think it would...but we make it for company so there's never any leftovers.

• Like 1

Talk of green beans made me laugh yesterday. I ordered Omaha steaks for the first time in quite a while. I wanted to get some sides and ordered their twice baked potatoes. When I opened the box, I was telling my husband what I was unpacking. He started laughing when I pulled out a box and said - green bean casserole????? I don't remember ordering it but I did. He's glad I did. We'll see how it is.

• Like 1

Even though I detest Scott Conant, he won't make any money off this, so I'm going to make the green beans per this recipe, only with fresh ginger (I don't share his "unappealing little chunks" aversion [and why doesn't he feel that way about the garlic, too?]).  That plus a cucumber salad are my last thing to make, and then I can go deliver.

Here's that challah recipe, updated a bit from Grandma's shtetl version. It looks long, but it's pretty simple, especially if you have a stand mixer. It can be done without one, and the dough is tender enough so that you won't have Popeye forearms when you're done--unless you want them. I started out doing it by hand, so don't be intimidated.

Challah
Makes 2 loaves

4½ to 5½ c flour
2 T sugar
1½ t salt
1 pkg yeast (2¼ t; I now use rapid-rise, so it can be added with dry ingredients)
½ c milk
½ c water
¼ c butter
4 eggs at room temp, 1 of them separated
1 t cold water, or a bit more to make adequate egg wash
¼ to ½ t poppy seeds or sesame seeds

Mix 1¼ c flour and the sugar,salt, and yeast in bowl of a stand mixer. (I used to do this by hand, but I haven't in ages. It's a lot more work that way.) Combine milk, ½ c water, and butter in a saucepan (or in microwave). Heat until liquids are warm; butter needn't melt. Add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 3 eggs, 1 egg white, and ½ c flour, or enough to make a thick batter. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Knead with dough hook 7 to 10 minutes or by hand on lightly floured board, until smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.

Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured board. Divide into 6 equal portions. Shape each piece into a 14-inch-long rope. Braid 3 ropes together for each loaf on a greased baking sheet, tucking ends under. (You can do fancier braiding if you know how, but this is within everybody's skill set.)

Beat together remaining egg yolk and cold water. Brush loaves with egg mixture, being careful to get it into the places where the braids intersect, but don't let it pool there. Sprinkle with seeds of your choice. Let rise uncovered until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes, until bottom sounds hollow when tapped and braids are mahogany brown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Here's that challah recipe, updated a bit from Grandma's shtetl version. It looks long, but it's pretty simple, especially if you have a stand mixer. It can be done without one, and the dough is tender enough so that you won't have Popeye forearms when you're done--unless you want them. I started out doing it by hand, so don't be intimidated.

Challah
Makes 2 loaves

4½ to 5½ c flour
2 T sugar
1½ t salt
1 pkg yeast (2¼ t; I now use rapid-rise, so it can be added with dry ingredients)
½ c milk
½ c water
¼ c butter
4 eggs at room temp, 1 of them separated
1 t cold water, or a bit more to make adequate egg wash
¼ to ½ t poppy seeds or sesame seeds

Mix 1¼ c flour and the sugar,salt, and yeast in bowl of a stand mixer. (I used to do this by hand, but I haven't in ages. It's a lot more work that way.) Combine milk, ½ c water, and butter in a saucepan (or in microwave). Heat until liquids are warm; butter needn't melt. Add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Add 3 eggs, 1 egg white, and ½ c flour, or enough to make a thick batter. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Knead with dough hook 7 to 10 minutes or by hand on lightly floured board, until smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease the top. Cover and let rise about 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.

Punch down and turn out onto lightly floured board. Divide into 6 equal portions. Shape each piece into a 14-inch-long rope. Braid 3 ropes together for each loaf on a greased baking sheet, tucking ends under. (You can do fancier braiding if you know how, but this is within everybody's skill set.)

Beat together remaining egg yolk and cold water. Brush loaves with egg mixture, being careful to get it into the places where the braids intersect, but don't let it pool there. Sprinkle with seeds of your choice. Let rise uncovered until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes, until bottom sounds hollow when tapped and braids are mahogany brown.

I'll be over next shabbes/Shabbat.  ♥️

Edited by Ancaster
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

It's probably better to use the paddle for the batter-ish stage and then switch to the hook once it becomes a heavier dough.

Also, I'd suggest starting the braiding at the center. If you start at one end, you're likelier to get a wonky braid.

This is a very basic recipe. You can get more sophisticated by adding things like saffron or other herbs. But it seems like a good idea to start simple.

52 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

It's probably better to use the paddle for the batter-ish stage and then switch to the hook once it becomes a heavier dough.

Also, I'd suggest starting the braiding at the center. If you start at one end, you're likelier to get a wonky braid.

This is a very basic recipe. You can get more sophisticated by adding things like saffron or other herbs. But it seems like a good idea to start simple.

Thanks.  I have started my first rise.  I wouldn't really want to make challah with herbs, to tell you the truth.  I just want to master a good basic recipe. 

My problem is that I don't really know how much flour to add; as usual with my bread attempts the dough seems too sticky.  It's also harder to tell the feel when you are doing it with the machine instead of by hand.  I will have to test and adjust next time depending.  It's like someone said on another thread recently about making hundreds of pie crusts (that may have been you @Mondrianyone), it takes repetition to get the hang of it.  I've made many pie crusts and I can repeat my technique with that pastry. 

I don't usually enjoy challah from stores, even Zabar's--which makes the best rye bread.   It's usually pareve and not that great. 

There's one kosher bakery that has three outposts in Manhattan and makes wonderful challah, but none of the stores is conveniently located.  I bought one recently when I happened to be in that other neighborhood. 

My mother didn't make challah, or else maybe I'd already know how.  But in relation to this type of cooking problem, i.e., "how much do you add," she had a Yiddish expression for it--"as much as it takes," which the gods of Google tell me is translated as vi fil vi es nemt, which sounds like what my mother used to say. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Thanks.  I have started my first rise.

Boy, you didn't waste any time at all!

15 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

My problem is that I don't really know how much flour to add; as usual with my bread attempts the dough seems too sticky.  It's also harder to tell the feel when you are doing it with the machine instead of by hand.

You can always take it out of the mixer, start kneading by hand, and if it feels too sticky, put it back in again for a longer go and some added flour. I know what you mean about store-bought challah. It always seems to taste sort of dry, and that may be because there's no dairy in it, as you say, and it may also be that they add too much flour.

17 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

It's like someone said on another thread recently about making hundreds of pie crusts (that may have been you @Mondrianyone), it takes repetition to get the hang of it.  I've made many pie crusts and I can repeat my technique with that pastry. 

Yep, that was me. I used to keep premade crusts on hand in case I had a real disaster, but I've never needed to use one. Somehow I've managed to salvage the ones that went south.

• Like 2

I'm working from home today, so I'm fooling around with challah. I did what you said, by stopping the miser and adding more flour. 

For extra credit research, I even called the Bagel Boss store (the one I referenced above) and found out that their delicious challah is actually pareve!   (I guess most kosher people use pareve challah for shabbos because they serve meat meals. 

I make Swedish Coffee Braid and a few times  it wasn't great (most times it was delicious). Working with yeast can be tricky. I finally learned to test the yeast first (making sure it got foamy). Other ingredients had to be *just* the right temp 🙄. But most times it came out great. 

• Like 1

I tried the no knead challah today.  I had a much better result.  I think I might have been aided by buying new yeast. It's actually sort of fluffy.  It's not perfect, but I will soldier on.   The finished loaf is a little dark inside from the honey. 

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Did you get Fleischman's Rapid Rise yeast? It really helps and is the only type I buy now. Good to hear your second attempt was much better.

I stuck with the regular Fleischmann's yeast for now.  I'm trying to change only one variable at a time. 

• Like 2

Suggestions, please.  I'm making some food to drop off to friends with a new baby, and was all set to make a turkey chili - hearty for our cold weather, can be frozen and reheated for later.  She's not nursing, so I don't have to be mindful of spices, but then I remembered she has a tree nut allergy and I should double-check whether any spice might be a problem. Turns out, cumin should be avoided because it's often contaminated.  Cumin features heavily in all of my chili recipes (a tablespoon in the recipe I was planning to use), so it can't be omitted and the suggested substitutions don't really do it.  

What can I make for them with the ground turkey I bought? I don't have eggs, so meatballs/meatloaf are no go. 

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Suggestions, please.  I'm making some food to drop off to friends with a new baby, and was all set to make a turkey chili - hearty for our cold weather, can be frozen and reheated for later.  She's not nursing, so I don't have to be mindful of spices, but then I remembered she has a tree nut allergy and I should double-check whether any spice might be a problem. Turns out, cumin should be avoided because it's often contaminated.  Cumin features heavily in all of my chili recipes (a tablespoon in the recipe I was planning to use), so it can't be omitted and the suggested substitutions don't really do it.  

What can I make for them with the ground turkey I bought? I don't have eggs, so meatballs/meatloaf are no go. 

1) You could make a lasagna and substitute the turkey for the ground beef. 

2) Turkey Sloppy Joes 

3) Turkey lettuce wraps 

4) A Shepard’s pie using turkey instead of beef 

5) Turkey noodle casserole 

5) Spaghetti Bolognese (again with turkey instead of beef) 

• Like 1

Can one sub ground turkey for lamb or beef in Moussaka?  I like Mindthinkr's suggestion of Turkey Sloppy Joe's.  Wow...that's interesting info' re: cumin.  My grandson & family will be here soon and he also has that tree nut allergy (he carries an epipen? at all times). 

• Like 3