Type keyword(s) to search

Broadsides: The Gilded Age in the Media

• Start Topic

On 9/4/2023 at 9:58 AM, Shermie said:

It’s been so long that I forgot almost everything. Is there a good place to read a decent recap of season 1? 

They will probably do a re-cap the first night of Season 2.  I hope.  Tonite, 10/29/23.  9 pm.  HBO.

• Like 1

I am finishing Anderson Cooper's book Astor, it is a fascinating read and delves deeply in to the Gilded Age right up to somewhat current time, when I watch this show it is evident the writers plucked a lot of events from history.  I was in Newport this summer and visited The Elms, Breakers and The Marble House, saw many of the rooms that were filmed in, I knew I missed this show but until yesterday I had no idea how much!

Blake Ritson's story line is plucked out of fact, The Astor Bar/Lady Astor's Bar, the precarious way gay men could find other like minded men was pretty much the way we see it in this show.  I watched the first four episodes of Gentleman Jack and it was sort of the same for women during that time and earlier in history, Oscar could have his own show, there is so much to tell about that time in history.

Yay! It's back!

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The Real-Life Socialites and Historical Figures Who Inspired the Characters of The Gilded Age

SEASON 1:

• Caroline Schermerhorn Astor
  • Alva Vanderbilt
  • Consuelo Vanderbilt
  • Ward McAllister
  • Mrs. Mamie Fish
  • Arabella Huntington
  • Stanford White
  • T. Thomas Fortune
  • Clara Barton

SEASON 2:

• Christine Nilsson
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Booker T. Washington
  • Charles Spencer-Churchill, 9th Duke of Marlborough
  • Emily Warren Roebling
  • Sarah J. Garnet

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Charles Spencer-Churchill, 9th Duke of Marlborough

Uh oh.  Run, Gladys, run!

Emily Warren Roebling

Oh, cool!  She was an awesome woman!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

This does not spark joy. 

I sincerely hope she is overstating the case and or speaking from her character's point of view. Because, so far, I have not seen from Carrie C**n (this site will not allow her name) any indication that Bertha has a deep history with Turner. I know she relied on Turner to help her navigate society. But Bertha never struck me as overly emotionally invested in Turner and her termination last year did not seem to hit in a particularly personal way. Maybe I'm misremembering. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Like 4

I just took it as meaning that they spent a lot of intimate time together, as Turner dressed Bertha and was simply there for her, helping her with learning the society expectations and so forth. 

Until I saw the photo of Turner and her husband, I didn't realize he is being played by Dakin Matthews.

I liked these quotes:

The Peter Burns character, the footman in the Russell House, mentions that she wrote to Mr. Winterton about his patronage of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and, you know, how much she admires it and his philanthropy. That was how the courtship sort of began, through her letters.

I completely missed that when watching the ep.

And:

Turner, I think, has always felt like Bertha’s equal and that it was just a matter of chance that Bertha’s life went one way and her life went another. And that’s where the resentment, I think, springs from.

That's an interesting perspective.

• Like 6
22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Turner, I think, has always felt like Bertha’s equal and that it was just a matter of chance that Bertha’s life went one way and her life went another. And that’s where the resentment, I think, springs from.

That's an interesting perspective.

It is. But it's not a particularly revelatory one.  It was pretty apparent from her comments and actions last season. I suppose I just don't consider it "deep" unless it's "deep" resentment. 

I will grant her that the relationship between a woman and her lady's maid is inherently intimate.  But, again, it's not unique to them or super informative to say. 

• Like 1
On 10/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I am finishing Anderson Cooper's book Astor, it is a fascinating read and delves deeply in to the Gilded Age right up to somewhat current time, when I watch this show it is evident the writers plucked a lot of events from history. 

I'm almost done with this and, oh my goodness, it is so interesting!  I haven't read his book about his own family yet but that is next on my list.

I had no idea the Astor mansions were right on the site where the Empire State Building is now.

• Like 2

'The Gilded Age's Morgan Spector Knows How Much You Love the Russells

SPECTOR: "The first answer that occurs to me is that I actually think George is a pretty honorable man. It does come down to, if people are going to die, he wants to be the one that gives the order. He wants to be the one that makes that decision. He doesn't want to pass that responsibility off to somebody else. For all the other things you could say about him, being willing to take responsibility for something like that, it's a sign of, to some extent, a person with some kind of moral code."

• Like 2

Nice clip with CN above, but I have to note a correction:  She and Joy were incorrect in saying women couldn't inherit property at that time.  They could, and they could own property.  Legally.  Since 1845.  Maybe it didn't happen a lot, but it was legal to do so.  (And this is what we're all pretty sure is Agnes' situation - that she owns the home and money of her late husband.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Married_Women's_Property_Acts_in_the_United_States

• Useful 2
On 12/8/2023 at 8:31 PM, chaifan said:

(And this is what we're all pretty sure is Agnes' situation - that she owns the home and money of her late husband.)

Well, Agnes said that she can't testament any money to Marian because everything was her husband's fortune and goes to Oscar after she dies. That sounds like she doesn't actually have the full ownership of the fortune but only its tenure so long as she lives. 

On 12/10/2023 at 2:53 PM, Haleth said:

Yeah, I think they were thinking about Downton Abbey.

Yes, but that was  characterized by aristocracy.

In Sense and Sensibility Mrs Ferrars has full ownership of her fortune and can determine who inherits and who will not.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/the-gilded-age-back-third-season-expected-film-18571278.php

HBO representatives had said they were watching audience figures before deciding to embark on a third season. The company said that viewership grew over the eight episodes of season two with the finale on Dec. 17 peaking with the largest audience.

Kathy Sheehan, executive director of the Hart Cluett Museum and historian for the city of Troy and Rensselaer County, said they’re ready to assist production designers for “The Gilded Age” in locating additional places to film.  The museum provided a steady source of information to the production company when they began scouting locations and historical details.

Local filming was done solely in Troy for the first season. The production crew fanned out to include Cohoes, where Harmony Mills and local 19th century worker housing stood in for steel mills and housing in Pittsburgh, and Albany which provided settings for the Easter parade in 19th century Manhattan, churches and other settings.

In addition to making viewers happy, having a season 3 should help the local economy.

As per Wikipedia "Due to the confluence of major waterways and a geography that supported water power, the American industrial revolution took hold in this area, making Troy reputedly the fourth-wealthiest city in America around the turn of the 20th century." and  "Like many old industrial cities, Troy has had to deal with the loss of its manufacturing base, loss of population and wealth to the suburbs, and to other parts of the country. This led to dilapidation and disinvestment until later efforts were made to preserve Troy's architectural and cultural past."

• Useful 1

For anyone interested in reading more about the Vanderbilt family, "Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt" by Arthur T. Vanderbilt II, published in 1989, is a fascinating, well researched page-turner told with wit.  The extent of their wealth, and some of the massive egos is mind-boggling.

After that I then went on to "Consuelo and Alva Vanderbilt" by Amanda Mackenzie Stuart, published in 2005. But I found reading it to be a bit of a slog, a dry recitation of facts and some odd asides. It made me appreciate Vanderbilt's book even more. 

• Useful 1

Not strictly media about the show, but thought this was interesting given the discussion of whether it was realistic that Maud could pose as a member of society and scam men for money. 

Book coming out in June: The Impostor Heiress: Cassie Chadwick, The Greatest Grifter of the Gilded Age by Annie Reed - about a woman who lied her way into society and  "convinced prominent men from Cleveland to New York City that she was Andrew Carnegie’s illegitimate daughter. Blinded by the name of the most powerful man in the world, businessmen lined up to loan her hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time. The con made her impossibly rich." 

Definitely going to read it.

• Like 4
  • Useful 7

‘The Gilded Age’ Adds Phylicia Rashad, Brian Stokes Mitchell, Jordan Donica & Victoria Clark To Season 3

Phylicia Rashad (The Beekeeper) will recur on the HBO drama as Mrs. Elizabeth Kirkland, a woman from a prominent family in Newport with ties dating back to the American Revolution. She has high standards and is unwilling to compromise the standards and expectations of her elite and exclusive social group – particularly when it comes to her son. 

Brian Stokes Mitchell (tick, tick…BOOM!) will guest star as Frederick Kirkland, the patriarch of the Kirkland family and husband to Eilzabeth Kirkland. He is the pastor of a prominent Black church and a leader in the Newport community.

Jordan Donica will recur as Dr. William Kirkland, a kind and handsome doctor from the prominent Kirkland family who isn’t as narrow-minded as the older members of his elite social circle. He was inspired to help others by becoming a doctor after visiting Arthur Scott’s (John Douglas Thompson) pharmacy as a boy.

Victoria Clark (The Blacklist) will guest star as Joan Carlton, a kind and genial woman from the old money side of New York high society. Sincere and supportive of her son, she is surprised to find herself in a complicated and insulting situation.

spacer.png

L-R: Phylicia Rashad, Jordan Donica, Brian Stokes Mitchell & Victoria Clark

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I am really excited based on @Snazzy Daisy's update. To me, the reason Peggy's character exists is to show Black life, especially the Black elite of New York in that era. It took the creative team 3 seasons to figure it out, but at at least it looks like they finally figured it out. 

My guess based on nothing more than pure speculation is that Joan Carlton's son is gay and ends up in a relationship with Oscar. 

• Like 2

S03 BTS.

I enjoyed the article and the photos. But, NGL, the only thing that actually made me squeal was seeing Mrs. Fish.  I still want a bonus series of Mrs. Fish avidly sharing tea and gleefully shit stirring when the mood takes her. 

Just the sight of Ashlie Atkinson's post made me happy.

(edited)

Emmys 2024: Shōgun, The Bear and Only Murders in the Building Lead Nominations  

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
The Crown
Fallout
The Gilded Age
The Morning Show
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Shogun
Slow Horses
3 Body Problem

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show
Carrie Cōōn, The Gilded Age
Maya Erskine, Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Anna Sawai, Shōgun
Imelda Staunton, The Crown
Reese Witherspoon, The Morning Show

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Christine Baranski, The Gilded Age

Nicole Beharie, The Morning Show
Elizabeth Debicki, The Crown
Greta Lee, The Morning Show
Lesley Manville, The Crown
Karen Pittman, The Morning Show
Holland Taylor, The Morning Show

Edited by Snazzy Daisy
  • Useful 1

But, NGL, the only thing that actually made me squeal was seeing Mrs. Fish. 

I feel bad for the actress having to wear what looks like Spanx and a corset! 

‘The Gilded Age’ Adds Bill Camp, Merritt Wever, Leslie Uggams, Lisagay Hamilton, Andrea Martin & More To Season 3

Bill Camp will play JP Morgan, who finds himself at odds with George Russell (Morgan Spector) over the future of the railroad industry. 

Merritt Wever will play Monica O’ Brien, the estranged sister of Bertha (Carrie C00n).

Leslie Uggams will take over as Mrs. Ernestine Brown, a friend of Elizabeth Kirkland and a member of the Black elite community in Newport.

Lisagay Hamilton will play Frances Ellen Watkins Harper, the famed Black suffragist who inspires Peggy (Denée Benton) to become involved in her cause, in spite of the dissenting opinions of those around her. 

Other new cast members include:

Andrea Martin (Evil) as Madame Dashkova, a medium who claims to be able to commune with the dead.

Paul Alexander Nolan as Alfred Merrick, a dashing, wealthy New York businessman.

Hattie Morgan (Operation Mincemeat) as Lady Sarah Vere, sister to the Duke of Buckingham (Ben Lamb).

Jessica Frances Dukes (Ozark) as Athena Trumbo, Dorothy (Audra McDonald)’s beloved first cousin and a part of an elite enclave of Black residents of Newport.

spacer.png

Top L-R: Bill Camp, Merritt Wever, Leslie Uggams, Lisagay Hamilton, Jessica Frances Dukes, Andrea Martin, Hatti Morahan and Paul Alexander Nolan

The logline for season 3:

The American Gilded Age was a period of immense economic and social change, when huge fortunes were made and lost overnight. With the old guard officially deposed, New York society finds itself turned upside down, and all must get their house in order. But even those at the helm of this new era may find that change comes at a cost. 

• Like 2