Type keyword(s) to search

Broadsides: The Gilded Age in the Media

• Start Topic

On 4/15/2022 at 3:29 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

On 4/23/2022 at 4:28 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

The Gilded Age Adds Laura Benanti, Robert Sean Leonard and 9 Others to Ever-Expanding Cast of Season 2

Robert Sean Leonard will recur in Season 2 as Reverend Matthew Forte, the “new rector of the church attended by all the highest New York society.”

Laura Benanti will recur as Susan Blane, a glamorous (and recently widowed) Newport heiress who hires Larry as her architect for a major home renovation.

Nicole Brydon Bloom as Caroline Stuyvesant, the next young socialite targeted by Oscar for marriage.

Michael Braugher as famed educator Booker T. Washington.

Christopher Denham as uptight banker Robert McNeil.

David Furr as Agnes’ widowed nephew Dashiell Montgomery, who moves to New York with his young daughter Frances (played by Matilda Lawler).

Ben Lamb as the Duke of Buckingham, whom Bertha considers the perfect match for Gladys.

Dakin Matthews as Mr. Winterton, a rich widower who is about to learn a lot about his new, much-younger bride.

Rebecca Haden as society queen Flora McNeil.

I am glad that Raikes is gone... but wow, they bumped up 13 people to series regulars?  Why?  What's the difference, is it just about status and pay?  Surely there isn't enough screentime for everyone.  I am so uninterested in many of the downstairs staff, particularly the creep valet and Armstrong and Baudin.  I just don't care about any of their stories.

I would much rather have seen Audra McDonald and Mr. Scott bumped up to series regulars.  They are two characters that really deserve more screen time.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I am glad that Raikes is gone... but wow, they bumped up 13 people to series regulars?  Why?  What's the difference, is it just about status and pay?  Surely there isn't enough screentime for everyone. 

There’ll be a lot of under-developed characters that will leave us wanting more. Just like season 1… 😣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Maybe S2 will have more than 9 episodes. That's my hope, at least.

I think for the most part, most HBO series seem to have a maximum of 10 episodes per season?  Not exactly sure why that it but it seems to be their magic number.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:17 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Maybe S2 will have more than 9 episodes. That's my hope, at least.

On 4/28/2022 at 6:21 PM, blackwing said:

I think for the most part, most HBO series seem to have a maximum of 10 episodes per season?  Not exactly sure why that it but it seems to be their magic number.

For streaming shows I like 12/13 episodes a season- it gives the ensemble cast room to breathe. 8/9 is too few, but 10 would be good, so long as there isn't non entertaining filler. I am fine with filler if it brings lightness to an otherwise DEPRESSING episode but it has to be used in small doses.

• Like 1

‘The Gilded Age’: Christine Baranski, Cynthia Nixon & More Tease a ‘Tectonic Shift’ in Season 2

As for the gentle Ada, Nixon hints at a potential conflict between the two sisters. Could it be the price Agnes isn’t willing to pay?

“Without trying to say too much, there are things that happen in this season that make a tectonic shift in the power dynamics of those sisters,” Nixon reveals. “It’s one of the things I’m most excited about in this season.”

• Love 1
9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

With HBO’s The Gilded Age Season 2 Filming, Another Cast Member Has Confirmed Their Exit (For Now)

“I don’t think you’re gonna expect Mrs. Sylvia Chamberlain. No, I’m not going into Season 2. That’s not to say that she’s not gonna show up at another point in the series. She kinda served her character’s purpose in Season 1. It all came to a nice little ending.”

- Jeanne Tripplehorn

Bummer though. I like Jeanne and she could’ve done great stuff with the part. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, missbonnie said:

No news at all on when season 2 is going to air?

No, there's been no official word yet but some sites have speculated it should be some time around May of this year.  I hope it's sooner!

On 1/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, Yeah No said:

No, there's been no official word yet but some sites have speculated it should be some time around May of this year.  I hope it's sooner!

Succession will end in late May, so HBO will need to fill the Sunday night slot. I hope Gilded Age is the plan! 

• Like 7
On 1/30/2023 at 10:35 PM, Yeah No said:

My Daughter and family were in the Breakers last week where they filmed.  No sign of when it will be shown yet.

• Like 2
On 8/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

The Gilded Age Season 2 | Official Teaser | HBO

It’s about damn time! 😆

Anyone else notice how little Marian was in the promo? Please let be an actuate reflection of her crentality to the season.  I don't hate her but I can't say I'm interested in anything for her sake. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Shermie said:

Thanks, that’s great! Of course, now I have to match faces to all the names.

Here's your first hint:  simpering young woman who does NOT look like nor have the acting ability of her real-life mother (Meryl Streep) . . . Marian.

• LOL 5

I have had to give up HBO (or MAX, whatever they changed it to) for financial reasons. I hope I can watch this, somehow, I so liked the first season. 

Carrie C o o n is killing it as Bertha Russell. I just found out that she is married to Tracy Letts, a writer and actor. He played Jo's publisher in the 2019 Little Women movie. 

Edited by TVMovieBuff
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/2/2023 at 2:48 PM, RachelKM said:

Anyone else notice how little Marian was in the promo? Please let be an actuate reflection of her crentality to the season.  I don't hate her but I can't say I'm interested in anything for her sake. 

If her acting hasn't improved from last season I'll be fast forwarding through her scenes and coming here to find out what I missed.  

• Like 3
On 9/11/2023 at 4:18 PM, Carolina Girl said:

If her acting hasn't improved from last season I'll be fast forwarding through her scenes and coming here to find out what I missed.  

I'm not sure if the problem is her acting or the material given to her. An actor can only work with that they have been given. Whether it's the actor or the writing, Marian is the least interesting character in the series. I understand you sort of need her to connect the different plots and serve as a center for the other characters to revolve around and a point of view character (she's new like the audience so it makes it easier to do exposition/explanations), but I often wonder if you actually needed her once the series had gotten started and all the characters had been introduced.  

Put it another way, if you cut her romance out of the season, would anything truly great or wonderful have been lost?  

• Like 2
On 9/12/2023 at 8:17 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I'm not sure if the problem is her acting or the material given to her.

Of course this is true, but I personally think it’s the acting. I just don’t think she has it. She should stick to modelling. Now, Mamie Gummer is following in her mother’s footsteps quite nicely. Have seen her in a few things now and she’s always been good. 

• Like 4
On 8/29/2023 at 12:59 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

‘The Gilded Age’: 7 Questions We Need Answered in Season 2

1. Mrs. Astor and Mr. McAllister's Backstory.

2. Agnes van Rhijn's Backstory.

3. Will Oscar van Rhijn Marry Gladys Russell?

4. Will Peggy Find Her Son?

5. The Russell Staff Drama.

6. Will Tom Be Raike-d Across the Coals?

7. Is Romance Blooming Between Marian Brook and Larry Russell?

Great list! As far as number 7, I couldn’t care less about either of them (boring and bad actors both). Hopefully it does blossom and they get hitched and leave town for sites unknown. 

• LOL 1
On 8/28/2023 at 11:59 PM, Snazzy Daisy said:

‘The Gilded Age’: 7 Questions We Need Answered in Season 2

1. Mrs. Astor and Mr. McAllister's Backstory.

2. Agnes van Rhijn's Backstory.

3. Will Oscar van Rhijn Marry Gladys Russell?

4. Will Peggy Find Her Son?

5. The Russell Staff Drama.

6. Will Tom Be Raike-d Across the Coals?

7. Is Romance Blooming Between Marian Brook and Larry Russell?

Tom Raikes is gone for good.  The actor isn't returning, so I would hope they just move on and not mention him again.

I couldn't care less about the current Russell staff.  Bald Valet, Fake French Cook, etc.  All typical boring filler stories.  The only one I liked was Turner, who we haven't seen in a while after she got fired.  But the mention of her in the media article above hints that she is going to come back and cause trouble.

I have mixed feelings about watching Season 2.  I love historical dramas, but my issue is that Fellowes clearly views the Russells as the heroes of his story.  Whereas I truly can't stand either one of them.  I'd be more sympathetic if they were nicer people, but Bertha complains about being treated poorly by old money society and then turns around and is nasty to people she herself thinks is beneath her.

Plus, I really think that Carrie C. (apparently her last name has gotten added to some kind of auto-censor on this site since last season aired) is a terrible and overrated actress.  There's no layers to her performance, she just dials up the beeyotch-o-meter to 10 and it stays there pretty much the whole time.

I will watch for the amazing Christine Baranski and the fantastic Cynthia Nixon.  I'll root for Larry and Gladys and Marian.  I'll continue to root against the Russells even though it's almost certainly a failing effort.

• Like 4
23 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'll root for Larry and Gladys and Marian. 

There are many things about the first season that disappointed me. The end of the first episode made it seem as though it be younger generation more or less united against older generation while the old money vs. new money conflicts played out and that didn't happen. Everyone was off more or less in their own story, with Marian occasionally being in the same place as Gladys, but I would not call the two of them close friends, which is what I wanted/was hoping to see more of. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Between this and The Bucchaneers starting next month I can't wait to bask in all the turn of the century glory.

Just had a look at The Buccaneers. Previews aren’t always the best source, but going by the trailer, the show looks awful!

• Like 1
On 10/17/2023 at 11:11 AM, Sarah 103 said:

Are the sunglasses accurate or an anachronism? I had no idea if sunglass went back that far. 

Accurate.  They might not necessarily be what we think of as sunglasses, but variations of them have existed for centuries.  Also, Christine Baranski looks incredible in her interviews regarding the season. 

• Like 2