Type keyword(s) to search

John's Tube: Web Exclusives from LWT

• Start Topic

Here's tonight's web exclusive!

As I mentioned in last week's thread, I was there for the taping, so I saw this one being filmed. It was the second one they shot so I assumed it would be shown next week. The audience had to stay in our seats until all of the candy and pinata segments had been swept up. A couple of guys put it all in a plastic bin and carried it offstage before we got to leave. No, they didn't offer us any of the candy, sadly (it looks like it was wrapped, so it should have been fine).

Edited by trow125
  • Love 1

Bummer the crew didn't give you+the audience a "sweet" memoir, trow125. I wouldn't mind eating candy on the floor if Ollie-Scone knocked the piñata down.

I gotta say his Web Exclusives are just too adorable and hilariously nonsensical in contrast to his usual weekly episodes. I just wished he would destroy a popular event that would be happening this week: (ahem) say, the VMAs or the Emmys (which I hope will nominate Ollie-Scone because his show is just too good! I await that moment...)

That out takes video is hilarious! "I have crumbs in here from the '80s..."

What I love about videos like this is the accepted view that you know you've made it when you're working with the Muppets. After Benedict Cumberbatch did a bit with the Count, he went to an interview and mentioned that he was late because he got too involved in his big chance for Muppet interaction, and the interviewer was plotzing more over his Muppet work than his latest film.

• Love 2

Just saw the Sesame Street video -- ADORABLE!!!  Do kids even get these jokes?  GIFs and Shelfies?  Still amazing.

I always hope that the celebrity fully appreciates how much of an honour it is to work with the Muppets, as they are the greatest things ever and Jim Henson was a god among men*, so I am sooooo happy to see John geek out over the whole thing.

*I'm not even sure why I love the Muppets so much but I do.  I really, really do.

• Love 1

Loved the Sesame St video and the outtakes. Of course John Oliver was great, and I'm always impressed by the puppeteers. Just fantastic.

I also learned some new words, or "words" -- hangry, shelfie, and surfbort, all of which I had to look up.

Loved the Sesame St video and the outtakes. Of course John Oliver was great, and I'm always impressed by the puppeteers. Just fantastic.

I also learned some new words, or "words" -- hangry, shelfie, and surfbort, all of which I had to look up.

I didn't even notice "surfbort" -- and if the definition is actually #3 from Urban Dictionary that's pretty risque for Sesame Street!! :)

I hadn't seen that definition, only the one about Beyonce's pronunciation, which I'm sure is what Sesame Street was thinking of.

Yeah, after the first UD definition it's usually just people trying to be gross.  Although that one did amuse me.

I'm confused by the combination arguments that the pumpkin spice latte doesn't actually contain any pumpkin and yet Americans consume five pounds of pumpkin a year.  Where are they eating all this pumpkin??  (Also, why all the hate for pumpkin pie?  I love pumpkin pie.  I don't eat five pounds of it a year, though.)

There are a few Thai and Burmese restaurants in my town that serve pumpkin curries, and they're delicious. I suspect some small amount of the population is eating a lot of pumpkin, skewing the averages, whereas most people only eat pumpkin-flavored things. Heck, Trader Joe's alone has about a zillion pumpkin spice flavored products, including pumpkin-flavored O's (their store-brand Cheerios).

Yeah, I'm guessing there's a certain amount of the population that go gaga over pumpkin during the fall.  I love it, but the rest of my family doesn't care for it much.  So unfortunately, I can't buy the pumpkin muffin/cake mixes I'm seeing or I'd end up eating the whole thing.  I do insist on making a pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving, but other than my two daughters each having a very small slice, its up to me to eat what I want/can and throw away the rest.

I make a pumpkin roll every Thanksgiving, which is saved by the cream cheese frosting. I am just not a pumpkin person. I have family in Florida who start obsessing over fall in late July, and about how they are now serving pumpkin spice lattes at Starbucks, and it just makes me want to fly down there to strangle them. I don't care that it is 100 degrees every day where you are, let me enjoy the last bits of my summer, you assholes. And then pumpkin season lasts for six months and I can't stand it.

Totally randomly, I really like his styling on this show.  Apart from whoever hogwrestled him into the barber's chair (and God bless that anonymous person), the colourful shirts are really working for him.  I particularly liked the red check-y one that was spoofed in the grossly inappropriate Halloween costume.  I also noticed he had a really nice belt on in one of the episodes where he stood up.  I just binged on the full episodes at my parents, so I can't really separate one episode from the other, but it happened.

This may be the post that proves I am, in fact, insane but I stand by it.

• Love 2

A seasonal message from John Oliver:

(Edited to add: For some reason, the video was changed to "Set to private," despite the fact that I copied it directly from LWT's YouTube channel. Luckily, someone else posted it below...)

Edited by trow125

That was a lot less painful than I imagined.  I am impressed that he made it almost all the way through his audition without giggling.

Although I couldn't get through the book, have incredibly low expectations for the film, and really feel that the credit will be an embarrassing blight on everyone's CVs, I do think that Jamie Dornan is pretty hot.

Also, the only time I've heard him speak is in this interview and it's freaking adorable.

• Love 1

IMO, the directors chose the wrong guy to play Christian. If Ollie-Scone wasn't returning next month (or had a TV show), I'd pay billions to see him in that role. He's seems fit the role. Well, maybe not the Sadistic part, or the erotic parts (a fangirl can only dream), plus he should nail the American accent (yea, still dreaming), but he's already covered "The Epitome of Male Beauty" part with his dimples. 

Maybe if the casting directors take his plea LITERALLY, I would watch the sequel to Fifty Shades if he does make a cameo or minor role even though I never (and WILL NOT PLAN TO) read it.

What I know of Snowden from numerous articles, "CitizenFour", his Reddit AMA, and now this, is that he's... well, he's a lot like me and other cerebral techies.

First, he's clearly extremely intelligent and articulate, you can't watch him in CitizenFour or even that John Oliver interview and not come away with that.  Second, he has a surprisingly sharp sense of humor; he was hilarious in the Reddit AMA at times, while also being quite thoughtful in his responses about why he did what he did, and what concerns him about the way government and surveillance is shaping our interconnected world.  Third, he apparently agreed to do the LWT interview because of the "Net Neutrality" piece John Oliver did last year.  And lastly, from what we saw of the main interview, it took him a while to "shift gears" on how John was running the interview as both in-depth but also "light hearted" enough to sell the message; when he did, he got some good quips in there.

I think when he says things in this extra clip like "You're killing me", he's in on the joke at that point, playing the role of the exasperated "IT guy who smells of canned soup" to John's faux "bumbling idiot".

Hee! It occurs to me that John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman could actually publish a book of historical lies - the Bugle podcast is replete with them. Mostly Andy's work, but still.

Indeed!  Although I suspected the whole book was a joke/lie (LWT wouldn't really work if you couldn't trust JO to (eventually) tell you the truth) I was momentarily annoyed on Andy's behalf -- historical lies are his thing!!