Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The People Aren't Ready

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

Nicely done, across the board, everything clicked this week.  I love the little back-and-forth with Mel & Harry about checking out the apartment.  They are adorable. 

Great slap-down with Robyn knowing the background of Mallory and taunting him.  Buford, hah!  Now he's served his purpose and they can shuffle him off.  Another inside NYPD "threat" will show up soon enough.  

2 for 2.  I didn't want to scream at my TV when Delilah was on it.  Hopefully the writers are deliberately making her less annoying and aren't just trolling us temporarily. 

Another awesome sweater.  I thought it was an Alexander McQueen, because they've done an amazing line of them, but unless it was a custom design just for the show, I couldn't find it anywhere.  

• Love 7
3 hours ago, SnapHappy said:

2 for 2.  I didn't want to scream at my TV when Delilah was on it.  Hopefully the writers are deliberately making her less annoying and aren't just trolling us temporarily. 

Agree.  I was waiting for her to flip out when she found out her mom was in jail but no, she didn't fly off the rails.  It would be good if we could keep this same tempo.  Granted she's a teen so I expect some sort of standard teen pushback/challenge but not because she's trying to get into her mom's business.  I also liked it when Robyn told her to get a job if she wanted some expensive phone because that's what teens do when they want stuff.

Obviously the detente with the DA won't last because the next time a lot of bodies drop authorities will be looking McCall's way.  I get Harry scrubbed her records but seriously, no one else saw her being perp walked into the station and no one else knew who they were going to arrest along with Mallory?

It's amazing how people keep bringing up Dante's father to him.

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 7

Another great sweater on Robyn! I thought it was just an abstract design, but then I finally saw the skull at the end.

This was a good episode; it resolved (for now) Robyn's tension with the police, and the little subplot with Robyn and the young woman in jail showed another side of her.

Mel and Harry are a bit better than last season, but I still find it hard to buy them as a couple.

• Love 3

I thought this was a fantastic episode.  I enjoyed the case of the week and I liked how everyone in the cast was involved (except for Chris Noth) in a very organic way, and not just shoehorned in just to make sure they got some time on air.  I especially liked what is hopefully a New Delilah, one where she is accepting of her mom's job and shows concern for her mom instead of the usual anger and angst.  I thought it was funny how Delilah asked why if her mom had so much money why she couldn't get her a new phone.  It was very typical normal teenager.

I hope the DA calls a press conference in which she publicly and formally apologises to the son and the father.  Because right now, that father is still being viewed in social media as "that angry guy that screamed at the DA".  She needs to make the public aware that she stands by him.  I hope there is some kind of deal on the side where they settle with them and give them money for the wrongful arrest, so they don't have to go through the spectacle of suing the DA's office.

I liked how Robyn helped the young woman in jail and hopefully gave her a new perspective on life.  I liked that we are hopefully rid of the thorny detective.

The one thing that I find a bit unbelievable is that nobody has yet learned who Robyn is.  I think the story is that Harry has scrubbed her name and face from every single database known to man.  But surely if they ask around enough, they would eventually find someone that works with her or knows her.  I don't know why they wouldn't have put her photo on the news.  "Does anyone know this woman?  Please call the police if you do."   "Oh hi, this is Mrs. Grundy.  I saw the photo of the vigilante on the news.  I know who she is, my daughter goes to school with her daughter and I have seen her at some school events.  Her name is Robyn McCall and she lives in Queens."

I actually don't know where Robyn lives.  For some reason, during Season 1, I thought they lived in an apartment.  Maybe I just missed the scenes that showed it was a house.  But this season, it's obvious they live in a single family house, quite large, and not a brownstone like is common in cities.  So I would assume they don't live in Manhattan or Brooklyn?  I am not that familiar with NYC geography.

• Love 6
On 11/1/2021 at 9:27 AM, SnapHappy said:

Nicely done, across the board, everything clicked this week.  I love the little back-and-forth with Mel & Harry about checking out the apartment.  They are adorable. 

Great slap-down with Robyn knowing the background of Mallory and taunting him.  Buford, hah!  Now he's served his purpose and they can shuffle him off.  Another inside NYPD "threat" will show up soon enough.  

Another awesome sweater.  I thought it was an Alexander McQueen, because they've done an amazing line of them, but unless it was a custom design just for the show, I couldn't find it anywhere.  

Ask and ye shall receive. You are correct, it's AMQ

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/alexander-mcqueen-skull-intarsia-jumper-item-16707032.aspx?fsb=1&size=21&storeid=12467&clickref=1100lixhJRE5&utm_source=shopstylecollective123&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=PHUS&utm_term=USNetwork&pid=performancehorizon_int&c=shopstylecollective123&clickid=1100lixhJRE5&af_siteid=1100l16995&af_sub_siteid=1011l270&af_cost_model=CPA&af_channel=affiliate&is_retargeting=true

• Useful 2

I agree that not being identified by a local is more than a stretch, as is the apparent fact that the NYPD didn't even post her picture and TRY to find someone who knew her. Use a paper poster if it keeps disappearing off the electronic databases.

I think it's just one of those things a person has to handwave in order to watch TV... like how everything on the planet is hackable by Our Teammate in a few seconds. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

I actually don't know where Robyn lives.  For some reason, during Season 1, I thought they lived in an apartment.  Maybe I just missed the scenes that showed it was a house.  But this season, it's obvious they live in a single family house, quite large, and not a brownstone like is common in cities.  So I would assume they don't live in Manhattan or Brooklyn?  I am not that familiar with NYC geography.

Me either, but the interior in this season looks the same from last season.  I think there was at least one visual of the neighborhood last season, if I recall correctly.  I think someone from the CIA was watching the house (I don't remember why, but I think they wanted her back into the fold? or something?).  

My favorite scenes tend to be the family ones, so I chuckled when Vi and Delilah were trying to play it cool the morning after the "Robyn's in jail" revelation.  I think Vi's calm disposition kept Delilah from freaking out too much.  Robyn's identity will be known eventually, but at least there is no family angst around her lying about what she does and how it could threaten them.  I wouldn't mind a scene or two of family discussion on an action plan if Robyn's work comes to their door.  If they have to leave in a hurry, where do they go?  To another family member? To the ex-hubby? To a hotel? I actually thought Delilah was on to something with the electronics, albeit self-interested - encrypted phones for the household are practical.

I absolutely do not mind Mel getting more field work, but Harry was more of a liability than an asset.  I guess the writers noticed he barely seemed concerned for her last season, and have pivoted accordingly. I don't find them adorable, but at least they interact like a couple now. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, ribboninthesky1 said:

I wouldn't mind a scene or two of family discussion on an action plan if Robyn's work comes to their door.  If they have to leave in a hurry, where do they go?  To another family member? To the ex-hubby? To a hotel? I actually thought Delilah was on to something with the electronics, albeit self-interested - encrypted phones for the household are practical.

I think that would be a very smart thing to do. When Delilah started talking about reaching out to a bail bondsman, I almost had a heart attack. Talk about blowing her cover! Robyn definitely needs to have a planning session with her family, so they aren't left hanging.

• Love 6
On 11/2/2021 at 7:17 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I wouldn't mind a scene or two of family discussion on an action plan if Robyn's work comes to their door.  If they have to leave in a hurry, where do they go?  To another family member? To the ex-hubby? To a hotel? I actually thought Delilah was on to something with the electronics, albeit self-interested - encrypted phones for the household are practical.

Exactly.  If something happened and it will, this affects Vi and Delilah and their lives in addition to their safety.  So it would be good if there was a plan and that Robyn go over them with it.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:11 PM, possibilities said:

I agree that not being identified by a local is more than a stretch, as is the apparent fact that the NYPD didn't even post her picture and TRY to find someone who knew her. Use a paper poster if it keeps disappearing off the electronic databases.

I think it's just one of those things a person has to handwave in order to watch TV... like how everything on the planet is hackable by Our Teammate in a few seconds. 

Others of us have said the same thing.  That doesn't make sense but hey, it's TV.

17 hours ago, rainsmom said:

I think that would be a very smart thing to do. When Delilah started talking about reaching out to a bail bondsman, I almost had a heart attack. Talk about blowing her cover! Robyn definitely needs to have a planning session with her family, so they aren't left hanging.

I agree.  I also had thought Mel would show up at the house to reassure them that everything was under control, but I don't think Vi knows her, so that might not work.  Robyn might not want Vi to know about Mel and Harry (to protect Vi), but maybe she should.  It would be a safe contact if Vi suspects something happened to Robyn or there is danger and they can't reach Robyn - Harry is always there to be contacted.  Robyn should at least give Vi and Delilah a safe number to call in emergencies - some private number that Harry can work up.

Another good episode and I'm glad we're finished with the "catch the vigilante" plot.  Not that it will be totally dropped - by the authorities, the bad guys wanting to get rid of her, or somebody else wanting to play hero. 

Robyn is gaining more allies, so that is good.

More Harry/Mel, less Robyn's family would make me happier, but I'm still looking forward to this show every week.

• Love 2
On 11/2/2021 at 10:06 AM, Boofish said:

Thank You!  I was looking at the ladies sweaters, I totally missed the guys lines.  McQueen did an amazing group of the skull sweaters knit in cables that is a really popular project to re-create amongst knitters.  I'm a huge McQ fan, I can't imagine what he'd be doing if he was still alive...

• Love 2

Good episode. I'm glad the killer was someone who made sense. Her bodyguard/driver. That works. 

I did like Aunt Vi and Delilah freaking out about Robyn's arrest. Then Delilah telling her mother she wants to know when its one she needs to worry about. That's probably a good idea.

I am glad the DA apologized to the victim for her actions. Good. Hopefully she followed that up by a public apology so everyone else knows too.

• Love 1

agree that not being identified by a local is more than a stretch, as is the apparent fact that the NYPD didn't even post her picture and TRY to find someone who knew her. 

Since a lot of this show seems to be using a similar template to "Person of Interest," the NYPD knew who "John" was, and called him "The Man in the Suit" and the rank and file had his picture, so yeah.

I would also have liked to see the "Robyn Buster" detective have some shades of gray to him. Shows like this are far more interesting when the characters show some sides you might not have expected. (Like the DA realizing both that Robyn is useful, AND that it was in the best interests of justice to address the case with the wrongfully imprisoned man.)

• Love 1