Type keyword(s) to search

All the Buzz: Media for Yellowjackets

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

The show creators have answered quite a few questions in this article. Don’t read it if you don’t like a few spoilers.  Ashley Lyle and Bart Nickerson are my soulmates, I think.

https://www.vulture.com/article/yellowjackets-season-1-finale-explained-showrunners-interview.html

Can you take custody of one and I get the other? Because yes, they are everything I want in writers. The fact that they don't want fan appreciation crossing over into fan service and that five seasons isn't set in stone. I'm glad they're going to end it when the story's run it's course rather than drag things out. They also had me at "Angela Chase for life." If Claire Danes is cast as one of the adult survivors, I can die happy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

That’s really sad and disappointing to read—no offense to the other actresses, but Melanie is the most realistic looking character of them all given her character’s typical middle-aged suburban mom trajectory!

Wouldn’t they *want* an actress to look the part versus looking like every other typical over-40 too skinny/too Botoxed actress out there? I found it beyond refreshing to see someone like Melanie cast in that role and I wish we could see more of this realism in future castings—it boggles my mind how Hollywood still apparently expects *every* adult female to be a size 4 and under.

Exactly. And it’s Hollywood that seems to cling to these misogynistic ideas about women. Watch a UK or an Australian show and many of the middle aged women look natural.

• Love 2

Here’s what Courtney Eaton (Lottie) said in an interview published a week before last Sunday’s finale. She gave it away and no one picked up on it! I did read it and thought briefly about what she said there, but didn’t truly connect it to Jackie’s imminent (I expected ) death.

There’s this whole theory that the Yellowjackets are not cannibals because you don’t actually see anybody picking up and eating a leg, for example. Do you have any thoughts on that?

I think in general, if you’re left out there for as long as we are, and winter is gonna hit, and maybe people in the night die naturally … We’re not hunting them, per se, but I think you would end up eating human. At least one, if you have no other options.

https://www.vulture.com/article/courtney-eaton-yellowjackets-lottie-doomcoming-interview.html

• Love 3

That really was a nicely subtle tidbit Courtney Eaton slid in. I was purposely avoiding all interviews until after the finale, but I don't think I would have caught this even if I had read it prior to the finale. At most I might have thought that maybe one of the redshirt girls would die that way, but I would never have guessed Jackie.

In-show, the most obvious argument against the idea that the girls never engaged in cannibalism is Natalie's lines to Misty. They make no sense for Nat to say if she didn't know that Misty, at least, ate people. The leftovers line was in the finale, but the jerky line was early in the series.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

That really was a nicely subtle tidbit Courtney Eaton slid in. I was purposely avoiding all interviews until after the finale, but I don't think I would have caught this even if I had read it prior to the finale. At most I might have thought that maybe one of the redshirt girls would die that way, but I would never have guessed Jackie.

In-show, the most obvious argument against the idea that the girls never engaged in cannibalism is Natalie's lines to Misty. They make no sense for Nat to say if she didn't know that Misty, at least, ate people. The leftovers line was in the finale, but the jerky line was early in the series.

It really was subtle. I’m still surprised that no one seemed to catch on.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

This interview was published a week before the finale. I read articles after I’ve watched that week’s episode.

7 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

This interview was published a week before the finale. I read articles after I’ve watched that week’s episode.

I didn't read any interviews or reviews after week 1. I've learned from other shows that there can be crucial endgame hints given away even before a show begins, and I am really spoiler-phobic. But I applaud Courtney Eaton for having a genuine gift for sneaking a spoiler in there that doesn't sound like a spoiler! I'm glad she'll be back. I knew her from Mad Max: Fury Road. It's fun that there are multiple Down Under actresses on the show.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I didn't read any interviews or reviews after week 1. I've learned from other shows that there can be crucial endgame hints given away even before a show begins, and I am really spoiler-phobic. But I applaud Courtney Eaton for having a genuine gift for sneaking a spoiler in there that doesn't sound like a spoiler! I'm glad she'll be back. I knew her from Mad Max: Fury Road. It's fun that there are multiple Down Under actresses on the show.

And Courtney is a vegan! And Melanie a vegetarian. Must have been difficult to do some of the scenes.

• Love 2

TV’s buzziest shows aren’t trying to trick viewers anymore

"...Yellowjackets certainly has elements of the mystery-box show in its DNA. Core to the show is the question of how its main characters escaped the wilderness to begin with. Since we’re also seeing those characters as adults, we know they escaped after 19 months in the middle of nowhere and that the show will inevitably have to explain how that happened. But crucially, this is a question the audience has that the characters don’t. The adult versions of these women know how they got home. We’re the ones who don’t.

The longer you watch Yellowjackets, the more you realize that’s true of most of its mysteries. A character in the show usually knows the answer, and even if we don’t, what happened to them is informing how they act. Almost all of the mysteries established by the show’s pilot, mysteries I thought would last for several seasons, are largely answered by the end of the first season."

• Love 7

Yellowjackets star Liv Hewson: ‘Being adored by gay people on Twitter is all I’ve ever wanted’

The show opens with the girls in the wilderness hunting and then – presumably – eating one of their own. The identity of who gets eaten has become one of the most prevailing and hotly contested theories by fans.

The theories Hewson has seen so far run “the whole gamut, from somebody who’s spot on and is going to be thrilled when proven right, to someone who has said something that I never would have thought of in a million years.”

The cast have their own group chat where they share the best Yellowjackets memes and theories that they find online. “A lot of the time, I think the audience has similar questions to us,” says Hewson, “which is really funny because when the scripts were being given to us, we didn’t necessarily know what was going to happen either.

“So we would constantly be asking each other things like, ‘do any of you have pink Converse in your costume? What do you guys think the symbol means?’ So it was funny watching fan theories develop.”

• Love 4
On 1/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, Cranberry said:

The theories Hewson has seen so far run “the whole gamut, from somebody who’s spot on and is going to be thrilled when proven right, to someone who has said something that I never would have thought of in a million years.”

Interesting! I am guessing Callie is the theory the actress would never have thought of, but the phrase "spot on" makes me think it's something a little more intriguing than "random Yellowjacket that never even had one line Season 1".  But maybe that is it.

Spoiler tagged just in case:

Spoiler

The writers did more or less confirm the pit girl scene is supposed to be around the same time as the strung up girl scene, and it's not a nightmare or vision- both really happen. I can't see how these two can be the same girl, but the way the background of the article reads, that the show begins with the girls hunting and then presumably eating one of their own, indicates that it is.

• Love 2

I saw on morning TV that a new trending haircut is called the Octopus. Although this particular show and stylist didn’t mention it, it’s exactly what young Nat has, which I thought was a shag, a la Carol Brady. So I guess Natalie the outlier is a trendsetter.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I feel like they're not even going to actually be cannibals at all at this point, which is weirdly kind of a let down lol.

Seems like it would be a pretty stupid letdown as well. Like, "Yes, we went to the trouble of showing them trapping a girl like an animal, hanging her up and dressing her like an animal being prepared to be eaten...but surprise! They were just making a wall decoration and the stuff they were eating was totally unrelated to her--sacrificing her brought a deer for sacrifice" or whatever. I mean, they've already established that cannibalism would be considered totally fine by most people in this situation, to the point where everyone assumes it happened. So it's not like they're avoiding a taboo.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I mean, they've already established that cannibalism would be considered totally fine by most people in this situation, to the point where everyone assumes it happen

That’s why it seems like there has to be something more/different. I guess it could just be that they killed each other to eat.

But I don’t know, as I’ve said before, it seems the story is more mundane than I originally thought. Gonna be hard to explain why they all vowed to never talk about what really happened if it’s just ‘survival cannibalism’ though tbh.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

But I don’t know, as I’ve said before, it seems the story is more mundane than I originally thought. Gonna be hard to explain why they all vowed to never talk about what really happened if it’s just ‘survival cannibalism’ though tbh.

It seems like if nothing else, there's a folk religion going on that involved sacrifices--not just cannibalism to survive, but the worship of some dark gods they invented/discovered.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Seems like it would be a pretty stupid letdown as well. Like, "Yes, we went to the trouble of showing them trapping a girl like an animal, hanging her up and dressing her like an animal being prepared to be eaten...but surprise! They were just making a wall decoration and the stuff they were eating was totally unrelated to her--sacrificing her brought a deer for sacrifice" or whatever. I mean, they've already established that cannibalism would be considered totally fine by most people in this situation, to the point where everyone assumes it happened. So it's not like they're avoiding a taboo.

It's one thing to eat a dead body to survive.  But to actually hunt down and kill somebody to eat, that's crossing a whole different line. 

And since they can't say that 'oh yes, we ate the dead but they all died of natural causes first', perhaps they just figure it will be less hassle to not mention the cannibalism at all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

And since they can't say that 'oh yes, we ate the dead but they all died of natural causes first', perhaps they just figure it will be less hassle to not mention the cannibalism at all. 

I'm surprised they didn't just say that since they really have already given a lot away lol.

1 hour ago, Ceindreadh said:

It's one thing to eat a dead body to survive.  But to actually hunt down and kill somebody to eat, that's crossing a whole different line. 

17 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I'm surprised they didn't just say that since they really have already given a lot away lol.

It seems like by not saying anything, that's what most people in their world are getting anyway, right? Like even if they came out and said they didn't eat anyone, everyone still assumes they ate people and just didn't want to say it. 

The hunt seemed rituatlistic to me as well. 

• Love 1

I really don't think a lot of the theories are ridiculous at all; it's just that people thought the show was going to be more out there than it actually turned out to be. And I don't think that came out of nowhere but I think the showrunners realized that and decided to manage expectations early.

• Love 2

Yellowjackets Adult Lottie & Adult Van Casting Update Shared By Creators

Bart Nickerson: "I don't know how close we are to announcing it."

Jonathan Lisco: "You're basically witnessing a dramatic non-disclosure right now."

Bart Nickerson: "I will give you probably a too-honest answer. We really hope we're very close. We're really pulling to be close soon."

Not much of an update lol. Although, I didn’t even know they were casting adult Van so that’s news for me.

• Useful 1

We have a premiere date - March 24, along with a teaser:

And the actors have put up some BTS photos. From which we know 

Spoiler

Nat's hair looks like it's finally starting to grow out and adult Lottie still has bangs.

This one's an official shot from S2.

Spoiler
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

We have a premiere date - March 24, along with a teaser:

And the actors have put up some BTS photos. From which we know 

Hide contents

Nat's hair looks like it's finally starting to grow out and adult Lottie still has bangs.

This one's an official shot from S2.

Reveal spoiler

How are these spoilers?

20 minutes ago, AstridM said:

How are these spoilers?

To be on the safe side for people who don't want to see anything at all, I used Matthew Weiner's idea of spoilers, so pictures of a scene and anything in it I put under a spoiler tag. 

21 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

To be on the safe side for people who don't want to see anything at all, I used Matthew Weiner's idea of spoilers, so pictures of a scene and anything in it I put under a spoiler tag. 

What are the rules on this site? 

13 minutes ago, AstridM said:

What are the rules on this site? 

"Other "typical" spoiler sources are kept in Spoiler threads or spoiler tagged.  E.g. casting sides, Pics from "stalkers" - people near sets as filming, leaked eps/scenes... you get the idea."

This thread isn't marked as containing spoilers, so I erred on the side of caution. Easier to click once more in a post than unsee anything. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, sistermagpie said:

"Other "typical" spoiler sources are kept in Spoiler threads or spoiler tagged.  E.g. casting sides, Pics from "stalkers" - people near sets as filming, leaked eps/scenes... you get the idea."

This thread isn't marked as containing spoilers, so I erred on the side of caution. Easier to click once more in a post than unsee anything. 

Thank you.