Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Hunt

Bort
  • Start Topic

11 hours ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Assuming they aren't white-washing Jon Seda, Failed Pre-Med is at least half Latinx. 

They aren’t.   His character has the last name of Velez. 

Second, the actor playing the stoner guy is an Australian of Indian descent. I don’t see a racial issue here.  

Third, Eves new love interest is also Latinx.  

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

They aren’t.   His character has the last name of Velez. 

Second, the actor playing the stoner guy is an Australian of Indian descent. I don’t see a racial issue here.  

Third, Eves new love interest is also Latinx.  

Scott being Indian was kinda the crux of the fear that once again.. A show may tease or hint at a man of color but ultimately put it's female lead(s)  with a white guy... Whether the female is white or not... Of course it isn't absolute.. But in my 24+  of TV watching I seen it more than enough... 

5 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

I mean look at Chicago PD... They don't even let Atwater be alone with Hailey.. He never seemed to speak to Erin and how often is he with Burgess nowadays.

Oh, god, this is SO TRUE. For a set of shows that can't keep the main characters out of each others' pants (cross-polinating to Med and Fire as needed), Atwater is a monk.

I'd still feel like the show was angling the son and Riley and right away it feels forced

The son (Wolf Snack) just comes across as too young; she's a college student and he feels like a high school kid. I hope they end up bonding over being stuck in Prehistoric Land with their overprotective parents and that's it.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

The son (Wolf Snack) just comes across as too young

LOL!!! I *really* thought (and hoped) the actor’s name was “Wolf Snack” 😄

Sadly, plain-named actor Jack Martin is 25 years old. 

—————

Or, given the above discussion, instead of “plain-named,” should I use the descriptor “white bread”?

Hey, at least he doesn’t appear to be Wonder Bread/Boy material. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2
4 minutes ago, CoyoteBlue said:

Oh, god, this is SO TRUE. For a set of shows that can't keep the main characters out of each others' pants (cross-polinating to Med and Fire as needed), Atwater is a monk.

The son (Wolf Snack) just comes across as too young; she's a college student and he feels like a high school kid. I hope they end up bonding over being stuck in Prehistoric Land with their overprotective parents and that's it.

You expect a TV network to not showcase a handsome green-eyed white guy with perfectly coiffed hair as a romantic possibility for the younger female cast member?... 

May I introduce you to like all if TV history 

7 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

a White Woman and a POC... Doesn't pop up as much...

I haven't noticed this, to be honest.  I don't watch that many network TV shows, but of the ones I do The Conners and The Good Doctor both have white women in sexual relationships with POC, just off the top of my head.  I'm sure there are more.

I thought the discovery of the dead body was interesting.  A modern person had also fallen into their time.  They couldn't have fallen into the same wormhole because it was underground until the sinkhole.  Unless the wormhole moved.  Or if there are different wormholes in different places that appear at different times.  Strange they all tend to lead back to the same place though. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

You expect a TV network to not showcase a handsome green-eyed white guy with perfectly coiffed hair as a romantic possibility for the younger female cast member?... 

Hell no. Just agreeing with your statement that it feels forced. 

• Love 1

When the dad fell asleep mid-sentence from taking the heroin and his daughter freaked out over not getting the full instructions, I couldn't help but wonder why they wouldn't have talked over the instructions multiple times before he actually took the heroin just in case this happened. 

• Love 12

So we've dropped through a sinkhole/light slash into the past; our food has been eaten by a giant sloth creature; we don't know WTF is going on yet we have time for mother/son arguments about the past??  The dumb discussions about past decisions and family drama are just annoying.  Psychic dad has to know if Pilot Friend had an affair or is still in love with Lost Mom or something.  Shut up, people.

I kind of like Brain Tumor Ty and Somewhat Snarky Stoned Scott.  Everyone else is kinda meh.

Need more giant creatures. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, raven said:

So we've dropped through a sinkhole/light slash into the past; our food has been eaten by a giant sloth creature; we don't know WTF is going on yet we have time for mother/son arguments about the past??

I admit, I would probably not care about my personal gripe with a family member until I was certain I wasn't going to die by dire wolf or sabertooth tiger... why is no one organizing a watch? And how is there only one gun? This is Downtown LA, right?

• Love 2

I just binged all three episodes today and I'm in. It's so damn stupid like a soap opera (I actually wonder if the writers used to work on soaps) but with a better budget; it's been decades since I watched a soap and apparently I've missed them. I mean, they find the medical supplies to allow a "pre-med" student (which just means taking bio and chem classes) to drain her father's cerebrospinal fluid, but they could not find one pair of non-latex gloves to wear during the procedure? I've never bought a first aid kit that didn't have a pair of gloves in it; no ambulance-level supplies needed.

Oh, and swimming through the underwater algae pond to escape the sadness cave but no one's phone was damaged by the water? Maybe the mushrooms have ricelike properties or something.

Stoner Scott and Ty are my favorites - and since the suspension of belief is a prerequisite for this show, I'm going to go ahead and hope that something about the glowy Doctor Who timecrack in the sky has random curative properties and Ty is no longer dying and all his symptoms are now psychosomatic or something.

Eve's eyebrows are beyond. If they weren't so clearly an unfortunate modern trend I'd think they were their own prehistoric beings.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Was I the only one thinking for  a second there that it was the dad and his pilot friend with the romantic backstory? When he was all "why did you leave" I was wondering if they were going there. They were just about to get a heaping pile of respect from me. And then... "are you still in love with Eve" came out of Dad's mouth and I thought "Welp"

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Starchild said:

Was I the only one thinking for  a second there that it was the dad and his pilot friend with the romantic backstory? When he was all "why did you leave" I was wondering if they were going there. They were just about to get a heaping pile of respect from me. And then... "are you still in love with Eve" came out of Dad's mouth and I thought "Welp"

That woulda been a Twist I can say I haven't seen on TV yet... 

• Love 2
On 10/17/2021 at 6:37 PM, raven said:

our food has been eaten by a giant sloth creature

What does sloth taste like, anybody know?  I'd be thinking that would provide a lot of meat.  Taking it down might not be pretty though.

So, I got around to this episode late. I actually miss snarking on it with all of you. I am definitely in just to snark because I feel like it's not totally hateable enough for me to not continue.

Stoner Scott and Shrink Ty are the only two tolerable characters. I guess Dr. Chicago PD is alright, and his daughter would have been fine if she wasn't pre-destined to get together with Wolf Snack (btw, LOVE that name for him; thanks @CoyoteBlue for the new name). Everyone else is either meh or annoying or both. 

Seriously, Wolf Snack is the most annoying character on this show because he hasn't DONE anything to warrant Riley liking him. He's just so bland. He mostly just glares at people. It's annoying because Stoner Scott is 10x more useful than Wolf Snack, yet Stoner Scott is 10x more likely to die at the end of this season than Wolf Snack.

Also, of course Wolf Snack is pretty much all healed from his nearly fatal wound. Besides some wincing, he's all good!

I enjoy Nicholas Gonzales, but putting him immediately in a stupid ass love triangle doesn't bode well for his character.

The LA plot is just so dumb, so I can't really find much reason to talk about it. Drop things down the hole, idiots!

The Prehistoric La Brea plot isn't THAT much better, but it's more fun to snark on. For example, these people have been there for at least three days and they haven't explored or built shelter or gathered food or anything? 90% of them are just wandering around!

• Like 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

The LA plot is just so dumb, so I can't really find much reason to talk about it. Drop things down the hole, idiots!

They wasted a multi-million dollar plane and skilled pilot when they could have just tied a note to a rock and tossed it down.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Seriously, Wolf Snack is the most annoying character on this show because he hasn't DONE anything to warrant Riley liking him. He's just so

....handsome and white... To most execs that seems to be enough... And the fans keep responding to it... So I guess they aren't totally wrong 

On 10/17/2021 at 5:15 PM, Abra said:

Eve's eyebrows are beyond. If they weren't so clearly an unfortunate modern trend I'd think they were their own prehistoric beings.

Kinda like Manifest’s Michaela’s eyebrows. 

• LOL 2

This LA/Prehistoric split story is going to get old fast.  By the end of the season, they're going to need another sinkhole so the rest of them can join the Land of the Sloth too.

Considering how quickly Wolf Snack was up and about, I'm assuming Doctor Dad will be going on a strenuous hike by the next episode.  Riley is still a little brat for blaming Eve for leaving her father for dead.

I'm really liking Ty, though the whole terminal disease thing wasn't really that surprising.  

Traffic Cop seems to be have become a leader off-screen?  The food distribution seems to be questionable.  How does she decide who gets the bag of chips, and who gets a bag of bread?  You'd think people would quickly grab the food while the sloth was lumbering towards them.  

Did they harvest all the mushrooms from the trees?  Or is there going to be an unlimited supply so the plot can go elsewhere?

Meanwhile, more soap-opera developments with the affair between Pilot Guy and Eve.  So that makes 3 guys who want Eve.  4 if you count Ty but it sounds like he's just a friend.

I missed how Drug Dealer and Shady Cop Mom ended up inside the cave in the first place, and why they couldn't just go out the way they came in.

Agree with all who said the military people should have known whatever happened to the drone would happen to the plane too.  If they believe Premonition Dad, they might as well send some one-way delivery drones with useful supplies like medicine to the survivors down there.  Even if the plane got down there, a lot of people would have needed first aid.  

• Love 1