Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: The Bullet Blondes

• Start Topic

Today’s lesson is to always keep your devices charged. Though they did have electricity back then so why not just try to find a way to charge the courier with the available technology?

Zari giving everyone a makeover had Cher Horowitz vibes. Love her.

The circus diversion wasn’t a bad idea but they should have expected people to want to attend it.

Some fail safe, Ava. You made it easy for anyone to open and never followed up to make sure everything remained and was still usable.

Spooner trying to explain the season finale battle to her mom was funny.

Con’s pocket dimension seems to have electricity so you should try and charge your devices guys.

Sara wants to rob banks, hee. That’s a better diversion and right in the Legends wheelhouse. 

I love the lady Nate made friends with. She’s a hoot.

Strictly speaking, Nate, Hoover killed himself.

I was waiting for Hoover to turn out to have powers or something so I’m surprised he was really dead.

Glad they’re still doing Astra and Spoons BFF time.

Hi Human Gideon!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Today’s lesson is to always keep your devices charged. Though they did have electricity back then so why not just try to find a way to charge the courier with the available technology?

I'm guessing John's Key to his Pocket Dimension Mansion also didn't have a charger laying around. But I bet there's more to it and Zari will figure it out.

As much...fun as the alien stuff last season was, I actually look forward to them slowing it down and bringing it old school. I actually think what they have set up for the season could be very fun, and I kind of hope there's no true Big Bad Villain. Having this season just be smaller villains as they find a way home sounds much more fun. 

I actually thought that this premiere was stronger than a lot of last season, but maybe this was more up my alley...and the show's alley. It had some truly laugh-out-loud moments (such as the lady who helped name the Legends' bank robbery gang name) and some real heartfelt moments (Astra/Spooner defining their friendship). 

They toned down on Ava/Sara a little more than I expected. And I actually enjoyed Ava handling the problem in her own way, and then switching gears to tap into her True Crime side. 

Astra/Spooner's friendship is simply wonderful. It was a highlight of last season, and I'm glad to see it continue here.

So, Nate did more in this episode than he did all of last season. Unfortunately, part of that involved changing history by killing Hoover a few years too early. Oops!

Human Gideon! Yes!

• Love 6

The Legends killed J Edgar Hoover, that puts a wrinkle in the timeline.  Although, some would say that stopping Hoover's rise to complete power is a good thing.  So, the Legends shouldn't feel too bad about stopping Hoover's rise.

Astra and Spooner's friendship is a highlight, all props to the actresses and writers.

On a shallow note, Caity Lotz was rocking the hell out of the ringmaster outfit.

• Love 5

Going to bed. Observation: nothing says Legends like Ava tearfully writing J Edgar Hoover’s name on an IOU list because they kinda/sorta killed him. And then Gary ate the body.

My bar for expectations is a bit lower. Anything above “dickweed with man bun” is great by me.

This was a lot more fun than the last few seasons and reminded me more of the easier seasons. I didn’t miss Constantine that much; the show seemed a bit more darker the last few seasons. It was a good start and I’m looking forward to the next couple of episodes. 

• Love 1

This was a fun episode.

Sara's especially perky trying to calm everyone down and keeping them from freaking out *cough*Ava*cough*. Zari made me lol when she was all "this house is open concept, there's nowhere to hide!"

I would actually like them to stay away from the magic and monsters and just stick to time travelling through historical periods like the earlier seasons.

Human!Gideon looked beautiful in the field. I think I'm most interested in seeing where she goes this season. But only Sara has seen her human form, right? How did Spooner and Astra know it's her?

• Love 2

The Waverider sure blew up clean. I would expect to see some socks in the trees at the least. Did it blow that clearing into an earlier time (timesplode?), when the time-ship's components were still rocks?

The manual should have said that the back-story for the circus!scam was that they were advance advertising and guides for the circus to arrive in a week or so. Either that or just don't hire disasters like Gary who managed to pick the worst possible answer to please a little girl.

"She hates ceilings." ( I can't even type this without laughing)

I have never laughed so hard at an episode of this show as I did this episode. The entire sequence from Hoover being on the roof of the car, the shot, then Ava's reaction with her just turning away, throwing her arms out and collapsing and THEN reaching so deep and finding her True Crime Soul omg Im laughing right now. That entire bit was just the BEST. Oh lordy, for the rest of my life that is going to be the thing that I watch to chase away the blues, I feel so good after that episode. Wow, thank you Guggenhiem Circus and especially thank you Bullet Blondes. Praise Beebo.

• Love 1

I was legit surprised to see that S7 had already started. Feels like S6 just ended! Anywayz, takeawayz:

Already disliking this director (Kevin Mock?): too many overly exaggerated "poses" and framed scenes.

Writing started off kind of hokey, but I really enjoyed it once they got into the mix. Legacy of two credited screenwriters? Perhaps.

• Only one original Legend left. Sad clown.
  • Gary showing off magic tricks. Frankly, he should have more expertise than Astra at this point (more time spent with John). I kind of like that they at least acknowledged his training, disappointed that they didn't spend more time with him and Astra discussing. Still underwhelmed by Astra (writing and actor; she seems to be hyper-emotive)
  • Hoover death? Wonder if Nate will end up by season's end having to permanently take his place. Interesting speculation.
  • Liked: Callback to Ava and her podcast. Nate showing historical knowledge (a little bit).
  • Query: How would a 1925 human taste compare to that of a 2000s human to Gary? More natural? Less artificial (saccharine, excessive artificial chemical taste, more fatty? #importantquestionstoask)
  • Way past time Gideon had a regular (physical) presence on this show. I honestly thought this was going to happen a season or two back. Hooray!

Edited by Cthulhudrew
On 10/13/2021 at 5:59 PM, scarynikki12 said:

^^^ This.

22 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Observation: nothing says Legends like Ava tearfully writing J Edgar Hoover’s name on an IOU list because they kinda/sorta killed him.

^^^ And this.

It gave me throwbacks to Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure: "Remember a trash can!" 

10 hours ago, lurker22 said:

I would actually like them to stay away from the magic and monsters and just stick to time travelling through historical periods like the earlier seasons.

I agree. I felt Season 6 was more akin to something like Stargate than my beloved Legends of Tomorrow. It was to Sci-Fi for my liking and not enough actual we need to time travel to save history like earlier seasons.

10 hours ago, lurker22 said:

Human!Gideon looked beautiful in the field. I think I'm most interested in seeing where she goes this season. But only Sara has seen her human form, right? How did Spooner and Astra know it's her?

I had the same thought, but decided that because they said Gideon?? They aren't confident it is her but perhaps recognise the facial features of AI Gideon when she appears as a floating head, so are wondering if it is her.

I did not miss Constantine at all and I assume because PortalMansion was a means for John to escape the world he didn't put in power points to recharge stuff as he wanted to avoid the real world in his fake house. Otherwise that's a major plot hole for the writers. And how is Zari going to reunite with the team, jsut wait for them to open another NarniaDoor?? Actually is it only Spooner's wardrobe that allowsthem access to the PortalMansion??

Anyway, who really cares. Cause to be honest I tune in for the fun not the story or plot. And this episode elivered lots of fun, something I felt was truly missing from Season 6, especially the idea that they are aware of their own TV show as evidenced by Bernard suggesting the name of Legends of Tomorrow for the bank robbers name. Welcome back show, just in time as Stargirl winds down its season.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Cthulhudrew said:
  • Hoover death? Wonder if Nate will end up by season's end having to permanently take his place. Interesting speculation.

I hope not, I don't think Nate has it in him to be that evil.  Also, Nate played football with JFK and had a good relationship with him, if he has to become Hoover and do what Hoover did, that would be a betrayal of JFK.

• Love 1

Also, Nate played football with JFK and had a good relationship with him, if he has to become Hoover and do what Hoover did, that would be a betrayal of JFK.

Nate might still do it if the alternative is that the timeline gets VERY messed up.  But there's also the whole issue that Hoover had lots of other issues that Nate doesn't seem to have (the files, going after MLK, etc.)  Nate might try to be a better J. Edgar Hoover, but it would be a balancing act.

Human Gideon hasn't showed up lately, so I'm glad she appeared to people who hadn't already seen her. And it makes a lot of sense to bring her in now when Sara's the only other remaining member of the original lineup. Like the bank robber fan, and the "Bullet Blondes." It's super catchy and much better than me calling them Bonnie and Bonnie when they went into the bank. Nice to see Nate getting to use his powers. He remains in destructible human form far too often. Loved the practicality of switching him to driver's seat, but also that he made the most sense to be on the outside clinging to the car from the running board. 

Circus makes way too much sense, and they've had at least 2 circus adventures so not surprising. 

• Love 1

Kind of weird getting back into the thick of things already.  I'm use to their almost being a year long gap between Legends of Tomorrow seasons!

Actually thought it was a pretty good premiere.  I think the idea of them being trapped in 1925 now without any of their gadgets and normal ways to get out of jams is an intriguing twist and it helps raise the stakes.  And they are thankfully still in an era filled with numerous eccentric and well-known historical figures, so I can still seem them doing plenty of classic Legends cameos and hijinks going forward.  Can't wait to see how this all plays out and how long they stay here.

The circus idea wasn't actually a bad one, but like with most Legend plans, they just need to spend more time, well, planning.  But I loved that Zari was still able to make some awesome costumes.  Including getting Sara into fishnets, Canary style!

So, they totally killed J. Edgar Hoover!  Considering his history, the world would actually probably be better off in a lot of ways, but this understandably will really screw up the timeline, to put it mildly.  Curious to see how they get themselves out of this one!

Glad they are continuing to pus the Astra/Spooner friendship.

Looks like Zari is going to hang around in Constantine's pocket dimension (in Hell!) for a bit.  Hope it isn't for too long, because Tala Ashe is the best!

Astra apparently resurrected Gideon into human form!  Completely with a helpful lens flare to prevent any actual nudity from being show, heh.  But it should be fun seeing Amy Louise Pemberton in human form for an extended period of time.

I'm guessing the mysterious doctor they're hunting down is going to be 

Spoiler

the new character Matt Ryan is suppose to play.

Welcome back, Legends of Tomorrow!

• Love 1

One of the things that I thought was funny (yet oh so dead-on for the Zeitgeist of the time) was the one woman's reaction to seeing "The Bullet Blondes" outside the bank as they were just about to  enter the bank. She was so thoroughly unimpressed with them (because bank robberies there were apparently as common an occurrence as sunrise) that her initial reaction to them was "Meh!"  And then when they actually started robbing the bank, did she call the cops? Nope. She started fangirling them! That was pretty normal for the time period. Bank robbers and other assorted criminals gained something of a celebrity cult status on a regular basis -- in fact, that's the premise and the driving force of "Chicago."

• Love 1

This season is already off to a great start, it had that wacky madcap humor that I want from this show but without going too silly like the show has gotten in the last few seasons at times. I am glad to take a break from magic to go back to some good old fashioned time traveling where the gang tries not to mess up the time stream too much while meeting historical figures and having adventures. There were so many funny moments this episode and I really like the 20s setting, this seems like a great start to the new season. I like them trying to get around without their tech or John's magic, having to make due with what they have. They still have, as Zari said, a truly random assortment of powers, but its a real downgrade from what they're used to.

So many hilarious scenes, especially Nate and Behrad meeting the robbery fangirl while trying to rob the bank. "Its a little wordy." "You have to have a name, its patriotic!" Then everyone cheering their gang as they get away, I thought the whole sequence was hysterical, and without the over the top "this is funny!" feelings that the show has fallen into in the last few seasons. It just had a ton of funny lines and a lot of fun with the characters and situation. 

Nate got more to do in this episode then he probably did for most of last season, getting to use his powers as an educated white man in the 20s as well as his actual superpowers, even if they ended up going pretty badly. Well crap, they went and killed J. Edgar Hoover, that is certainly going to put a wrinkle into the timeline! I also thought him crossing himself after Astra's mom crossed herself upon earning that they were using her dead husbands best suit was really funny.

Spooner and Astra, best friends for life! 

I miss Constantine and Mick, but the show is already benefitting from a slightly smaller cast. I was surprised that the Ava/Sara stuff was pretty downplayed post marriage, but pleasantly so. Ava is more fun as a neurotic dork who is obsessed with true crime instead of being the best and most important person in the shows history. Plus, Sara was seriously rocking that circus outfit, complete with Black Canary fishnets!

• Love 1

I enjoyed this ep a lot, was fun again.  On a shallow note while Caity Lotz is always attractive, she was stunning in the ringmaster outfit with her hair done like that.  Not sure if it was the lighting or what but I think that might be my favorite of all her looks for me personally.