Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Double Time

• Start Topic

On 10/14/2021 at 10:48 AM, dovegrey said:

would note, however, that podcasts usually drop on a regular schedule. If the team broke their schedule to make the correction, then I would presume they dropped the episode earlier than expected. For example, if they dropped the Dimas Did It episode on Friday, then the correction from them would have been between Saturday and the following Friday, but probably earlier. It wasn't a listener saying it was last week's episode; it was Oliver. I doubt the team waited 11 days to say "oops, Teddy didn't do it!" I doubt they waited even 7 days. I don't think Jan was in the hospital for long.

I don't think the only murders crew has been keeping to that tight a schedule.  Unlike most true crime podcasts they are broadcasting as they go along so it is harder to predicut when they'll have enough for a new episode but also I think the fans were upset because it had been so long since the last episode in Fan Fiction.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, cardigirl said:

All of a sudden now we have Daisy, who Sazz stole from Charles-Hayden (who on earth has a hyphenated FIRST name). 

I just assumed he used three names like Sarah Jessica Parker, Mary Louise Parker, Jamie Lee Curtis etc... But apparently it is hyphenated which is a bit odd since nobody seems to call him Charles-Hayden.   In the south we have a lot of double barrel first names but they rarely have a formal hyphen.  But I have known some double barrelers to use a hyphen.

For some reason (and I have no idea why) I have always thought of Jan as being second chair.   

Edited by bybrandy
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bybrandy said:

For some reason (and I have no idea why) I have always thought of Jan as being second chair.   

Well ... when Charles-Hayden and Jan went on their first date, she talked about being an only child until her parents divorced and then she had a half (or step) sister and she became second in everything and she didn't like it.  SO I'm certain that's going to be called back to in the finale. I don't know if anything else will be (like Lucy, or Oliver's son, or who was behind preventing the tox screen report or the phone being sent to IT or who has the emerald ring.) I hope there aren't a lot of unexplained trailing threads left after the finale, but there is a lot to clear up in 30-40 minute show. I don't see how they can get to them all. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cardigirl said:

Well ... when Charles-Hayden and Jan went on their first date, she talked about being an only child until her parents divorced and then she had a half (or step) sister and she became second in everything and she didn't like i

That's it!

As much as I'm looking forward to tomorrow's final episode, I'm really really enjoying reading everyone's whodoneit theories.  Sometimes getting this far in a series without the audience having a clear, cohesive theory can be a sign of messy writing (not having a clear vision from the start, making things up as you go along, starting a plot line but leaving it hanging, etc.).   But here, I think it is very intentional, and a sign of excellent writing.  Personally, I have no idea - I don't think it's Jan, but love how she's now a bit of a mystery, too. 

I think/hope that little bread crumbs have been left along the way, some have been commented on, but probably a lot left unnoticed.  And that all of those will start lining up in the first few minutes of Ep 10.  I'm also hoping that Ep 10 will mirror Ep 1 in some ways - narration by Tina Fey's character, some flashback moments, etc. 

• Love 4

These days a little Jane Lynch goes a long way (I'm scarred from Mrs. Maisel) so I wasn't sure how I'd feel about Sazz. 

lol, I actually love the merch. When did Oliver have time to get that made?

"STOP MURDERING!" 😂

No... not Jan!

If this whole Jan/Allison thing is a red herring, then I'm thinking Evelyn the Cat confused the bassoon cleaner for a cat toy and carried it into Tim's apartment, and then Tim confused it for a sex toy and put it into his box. I used to have a cat who would carry his string-on-a-stick around the house.

Unrelated to anything, I hope this is true because it would be a hilarious chain of events. 

Gut Milk has to play into this somehow - they have taken pains to keep us aware of it. Though they have never shown its original source again (I don't think) which is odd. At the very least Gut Milk will have to be a future sponsor of the podcast! it totally sounds like a brand that would advertise on podcasts.

Now I'm going to be disappointed if Gut Milk isn't a sponsor next season.

Edited by aradia22
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just finished episode 9. I had wondered if Jan was Theo's mom. The way she wanted to keep them off the Dimas theories in previous episode. And she killed Tim (maybe shot him when he was already dead or poisoned him first) to get him off her son's back. I wondered if the note on her door was someone who knew something Jan did. And Jan staged her own stabbing.

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Lamima said:

Just finished episode 9. I had wondered if Jan was Theo's mom. The way she wanted to keep them off the Dimas theories in previous episode. And she killed Tim (maybe shot him when he was already dead or poisoned him first) to get him off her son's back. I wondered if the note on her door was someone who knew something Jan did. And Jan staged her own stabbing.

Spoiler tagging because it talks about the finale:

Spoiler

I really love this and wish it had been what actually happened. It makes more sense and is much more cohesive with the Zoe/jewelry/Dimas storyline that drove most of the season. With more distance from the finale and momentum of the initial “live” run of the show, the more I’ve found the episode 10 resolution to the murder to be cringeworthy and unsatisfying, so much so that I don’t even want to rewatch any of the episodes again. But this theory and explanation would have been pretty fantastic, IMO.

• Love 1
On 10/13/2021 at 3:36 PM, Milburn Stone said:

Intriguing! But...the day of the evacuation was also the day of the murder, which led to Charles, Oliver and Mabel meeting for the first time and discovering their shared murder-podcast fascination, which led to their creating their own podcast, which had several episodes before Charles got involved with Jan. Right? (I ask because I'm not sure of anything anymore.)

Which reminds me,  what was in the dog's mouth?

On 10/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder what the policy is for letting people into the building and onto the elevators that go to apartments, is there a guard.

There is a doorman whom we've seen.  Usually said doorman would prevent non-residents from entering the elevator until they've been "buzzed up" by a resident.  And residents would have a fob or something that activates the elevator's access to their specific floor.  But shows often short-cut this stuff. 

On 10/12/2021 at 9:48 PM, SlovakPrincess said:

Bunny is just hateful, but the actress playing her absolutely cracks me up.   "one of you jerk-offs is a murderer!"  ... and the contempt with which she said "podcast!"   

Jayne Houdyshell, who won a 2016 Tony Award for her performance in "The Humans." Nominated several other times as well.

On 10/13/2021 at 11:08 AM, Milburn Stone said:

So, was Jan in the hospital for a week or less? Or more like the 2-3 weeks she implied to Sazz? Or is this an inconsistency the writers didn't catch?

I wondered the same thing, but have decided not to get too hung up on timeline details!

On 10/14/2021 at 6:37 PM, Sakura12 said:

I do like that we had Charles and Mabel bonding in the beginning and now we're seeing Oliver and Mabel. I think her sardonic personality matches better with his energetic one. They balance each other out.

I think Martin Short is the series MVP.  He brings just the right amount of loopy energy to each scene. 

• Love 4

Jane Lynch looks absolutely nothing like Steve Martin, not even from the back. Definitely took me out of the episode when people were supposedly confusing them. Though I guess that fits with other Hollywood traditions like everyone acting like a beautiful woman is ugly if she wears glasses, or no one recognizing Clark Kent as Superman. 

Do you think they put out a casting call for Steve Martin’s annoying stunt double and Jane Lynch auditioned? Or did they write the part for her? 

(edited)
On 6/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

Jane Lynch looks absolutely nothing like Steve Martin, not even from the back. Definitely took me out of the episode when people were supposedly confusing them. Though I guess that fits with other Hollywood traditions like everyone acting like a beautiful woman is ugly if she wears glasses, or no one recognizing Clark Kent as Superman. 

Yes. Part of that brand of comedic schtick is that they don't look alike.
I don't know that trope's origin——maybe Vaudville?——but I actually "saw" the Schwarzenegger and DeVito movie, Twins, on an airplane quite some time ago, which, unlike here in OMITB, doesn't pretend that the differences in physicality aren't there. 
I'm not sure that it worked very well here at all, but I went with it.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:53 PM, LeGrandElephant said:

Do you think they put out a casting call for Steve Martin’s annoying stunt double and Jane Lynch auditioned? Or did they write the part for her? 

Maybe a cross between the 2? Like they wrote it into the script and then decided to offer it to a few actors? She might have been their first choice? Like, maybe they decided to cast someone who was a woman or maybe a very different age or race?

Edited by shapeshifter
On 10/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder why Oliver never got his dog back?

He's probably waiting until the poisoner is apprehended so as not to risk Winnie's life again.  It's a good thing that Oliver's son is a vet who can watch him, because with Oliver being locked out of his apartment, he'd have had to find a stable place for her anyway.

Speaking of which, it's impressive that Oliver's son was able to become a vet despite Oliver losing his college fund.  There's an expensive amount of schooling required.   His son is probably still paying back vet-school loans.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, AnimeMania said:

I wonder why Oliver never used the Deli King's money to pay his apartment fee, or did he?

I wondered that, too-that's what the first check was for (and maybe some Gut Milk).  But then it seemed like the eviction was on account of the podcast.  Either way, he wouldn't just be locked out.  There'd be a petition for removal, and then a Marshall, etc. etc. 

On 10/12/2021 at 8:12 AM, Abra said:

The wounded/maybe dead tie-dye person from the opening scene of the series could be anyone now that Oliver has merch to distribute.

If people are buying them, that's true.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:37 PM, MisterGlass said:

I liked that the opening credit portraits are being painted by Mabel on her wall.

Yes, but will her aunt?

On 10/14/2021 at 9:10 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

I'm having a hard time that the three are booted out over the podcast on a simple show of hands too. It's an eyeroll for me for the sake of drama on the show, but it's hard to believe with no actual crime committed they couldn't drag it out in court. Oliver, not so much, having the outstanding rent, but Charles was there 30 years basically invisible. 

Yes, it would be dragged out in court if they wanted to fight it.  I don't think Mabel would have much recourse, though, since she is not an owner.  The coop could even have rules that did not allow guests to stay there without the owner being in residence.  Who want's someone's rambunctious grandchild (who wasn't vetted by the coop board) creating problems?

On 10/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, DoctorAtomic said:
On 10/15/2021 at 4:34 PM, Ilovepie said:

And can someone explain why Mabel and Oscar were sleeping in Charles apartment along with Oliver?

They were in Mabel's aunt's apartment. 

Kind of weird not to string a sheet between them so they'd have a modicum of privacy.