Type keyword(s) to search

Wonka (2023)

BetterButter
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

It will be interesting if they can do a darker, grittier take on the character. 

Yeah, because Wonka's always been hearts and rainbows. I hope they get into the nitty-gritty of how his business started. Trips to the bank trying to get a business loan. Trying to get TIFs and infrastructure help from the local gov't. Ruthlessly crushing the Oompa-Loompas' attempts to organize. You know, fun for the whole family!

• LOL 12
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I wonder if they’ll show him in Loompaland with the Hornswogglers and the rotten Vermicious Knids?  And just how did he persuade the Oompa-loompas to come back with him?

Oh that's all just PR. No such thing as Hornsogglers abs Vermicious Knids, Wonka took advantage of those poor Oompa-Loompas and their isolation to obtain cheap labor for his factory...nothing more than a sweater shop!

Plus you know he's a total Pedo.

• Sad 1

I get that this is an origin story.  But I don't understand why we have never gotten a "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" movie.  The Johnny Depp film was a great success, how come they didn't talk about a sequel?

I have posted elsewhere here about him, but I truly do not get the hype about Timothee Chalamet.  I think he is extremely overrated and I don't understand how overnight he has become every casting director's It Boy.  There's something about him I just don't care for.  I think it is the stupid floppy hair, the doe eyes, and even the stupid spelling of his name along with the stupid accent mark.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Looks fine. I don't really have any strong positive or negative feelings about this since I'm in the "did we really need this?" camp. Will probably see this... eventually.

Probably not worth nitpicking, but was Wonka American in the book (I'm guessing 'no'?)? Or is it just that all the live action movies he's been played by Americans?

• Like 1
(edited)

I wasn't interested in Willy Wonka's origins, and nothing in this trailer intrigued me either.  He seemed pretty jaded in the original story, but I didn't get that sense from this trailer.  

On 10/12/2021 at 6:58 AM, blackwing said:

I get that this is an origin story.  But I don't understand why we have never gotten a "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator" movie.  The Johnny Depp film was a great success, how come they didn't talk about a sequel?

I would much rather see that.  Hollywood loves treading the same water over and over again and/or come up with uninspired prequels, but don't have enough faith in sequels written by the actual author.  I wonder if the new Narnia film reboot will get past the third book this time.  Not holding my breath.

Edited by Camera One
  • Like 1
On 10/11/2021 at 6:08 AM, Browncoat said:

I wonder if they’ll show him in Loompaland with the Hornswogglers and the rotten Vermicious Knids?  And just how did he persuade the Oompa-loompas to come back with him?

This is me totally overthinking the situation, but also answering your question: My understanding is that the Ooompa-Loompas were fleeing a bad situation. When Wonka offered them employment and a safe place to live, they welcomed the opportunity to move to what they thought was a better place. 

• Like 1

After that trailer I've gone from 'I have no interest in seeing this ever' to 'I'll check it out I guess...eventually'. Do I think we need a prequel? Not at all. As others have said, I too would prefer an adaptation of Glass Elevator. But this looks kinda fun and looks like it has no interest in the Daddy Wonka was a dentist plot from the Burton version, which is another plus for me.

I am looking forward to that small group of people who will complain they didn't know they were buying a ticket to a musical. Because even though there is no singing (apart from the Grant's Oompa Loompa), it is very obvious there are big song and dance numbers - which I admit is why I am now more interested in the movie.

• Like 2

Very cute film. I was surprised that Timothee Chalamet carried the songs as well as he did.  Easy, breezy enjoyable holiday fare.  I especially liked the supporting cast like Matthew Baynton, Keegan Michael-Key, Paterson Joseph and Matt Lucas.

• Like 2

For those that think Roald Dahl would have preferred the Tim Burton version of the movie because he hated the 70s one so much because it was more faithful to the book, remind you that he considered any change to his novels as a personal insult, so I sure he would have hated the whole dentist backstory. Pretty sure he’d hate Wonka on principle too.

But he’s gone and the studios can do whatever they want so 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
On 12/13/2023 at 5:18 AM, Spartan Girl said:

For those that think Roald Dahl would have preferred the Tim Burton version of the movie because he hated the 70s one so much because it was more faithful to the book, remind you that he considered any change to his novels as a personal insult, so I sure he would have hated the whole dentist backstory. Pretty sure he’d hate Wonka on principle too.

But he’s gone and the studios can do whatever they want so

IMO I think if death wasn't an option, Dahl would have chosen Burton's version as the preferred one as it sticks closer to his story than the 1971 version, if we ignore the pointless dentist flashback of course. 

I'm one of those people who prefers Burton's Charlie over the WIlly Wonka version. A lot of it has to do with the use of Dahl's lyrics for the Oompa Loompa song, the fact that Charlie behaves himself during the tour justifying the reward. But I do think Gene Wilder was a better Willy Wonka than Johnny Depp. My perfect movie would be Gene Wilder in Tim Burton's version without the dentist.

I'm interested in seeing Wonka, even if after listening to the soundtrack the songs are rather average but I can see how with good staging and choreography the songs could be lifted to realms of memorability. Chalamet surprised me with his singing voice, it's not amazing but he can hold a tune. Hopefully I can see this before Christmas.

• Like 4

The film is missing an appropriately Dahl-esque comeuppance for Mrs. Scrubbit, I think.

Despite making use of certain key elements of the 1971 film, this feels very much like Paul King essentially took the concept of a magical candymaker and ran off in his own direction with it, rather than trying to do a really direct lead-in to the source material, and on the whole I think that was a good idea.

I enjoy that King took the idea from the original book that the Oompa-Loompas get paid in cocoa beans and expanded it to the point where this entire universe seems to be centered around the importance of confectionery goods.

• Like 1

‘Wonka’ Yummy With $39M Opening As Musicals Bounce Back At The Box Office – Sunday Update
By Anthony D'Alessandro    December 17, 2023 
https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-wonka-1235669099/ 

UPDATED, Sunday AM: Wonka had a very strong hold on Saturday with $14M, just -3% off from Friday/Thursday previews’ $14.4M resulting in an estimated $39M opening, which is slightly north of the $35.3M start that Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse did back in the same mid-December slot in 2018. For family movies opening at this point in time, it’s a marathon, not a sprint, and there’s a lot of road left for Wonka especially with 21% K-12/76% colleges off tomorrow per Comscore, rising to 66%/93% by Friday and finally 100% out all next week.
In addition, Wonka was arguably able to have a full-bodied marketing campaign in a way that many other well-intended movies in the fall, i.e. The Marvels, The Creator, The Exoricst could not. Chalamet landed on the cover of GQ for the third time last month, in addition to hosting Saturday Night Live for a second time in his career on Nov. 11. While the late-night show had a different contract from SAG-AFTRA enabling Chalamet to host, because the strike ended on Nov. 8, he was able to boom a parody of the song “Pure Imagination” from the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie. Also last month, the studio launched a Wonka-themed float during the Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Parade broadcast (biggest draw on record with 28.5M viewers). A 30-second spot ran after the float’s debut with a broadcast moment recap on social.

Weekend Box Office: WONKA is Sugary Sweet in 1st Place
News & Analysis • Boxoffice Staff • December 17 2023
https://www.boxofficepro.com/weekend-box-office-wonka/ 

Audience demographics

Wonka’s opening weekend stats include:

• 51% female
  • 54% white, 24% Hispanic, 9% black, 8% Asian
  • 33% of revenue from premium formats
  • “A-” CinemaScore
Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

I saw this yesterday, and it was fine.  If a prequel/backstory had to be made, Timothee Chalamet was probably the best choice to be Willy Wonka.  

There didn't seem to be a lot of things that would directly tie this one to the Gene Wilder version, but there were a lot of Easter Eggs, and musical callbacks, even if it was just a few notes here and there.  Hugh Grant cracked me up as the Oompa-Loompa.  Perfectly stern and slightly ridiculous at the same time.  

Not sure I'll run right out to see it again, but I won't change the channel when it comes on TV.  (Which I do with the Johnny Depp version.  Ugh.)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Made an effort to go to the cinema to see this before the hectic Christmas rush. And I didn't regret my decision to see this on the big screen. My thoughts were correct, seeing the songs visually helped improve the songs but they still weren't extremely memorable.

I laughed at times, got emotional a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed myself. While I may not rush out to the cinema to see it again, I will recommend it to people and happily rewatch at home. 

There were times when I saw Wilder's Wonka in Chalamet's Wonka. Just little looks or mannerisms for a fleeting second. I much preferred the parental background story in this one compared to Burton's version (and it didn't feel shoehorned in). The world also felt very Dahl-esque, something missing from Willy Wonka but that Burton succeeded in doing in his movie.

While I won't be demanding Chalamet release an album any time soon, he at least managed to hold and tune and look like he was having fun singing and dancing.

Hugh Grant was a comedic highlight for me, with Olivia Colman and her partner a close second. I did have to look up the significance of what happened to them at the end - even as a fan of Dahl's books - as I had no idea what the reveal signified.

• Like 2

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to.  It reminded me more than anything of Mary Poppins.  

I can see the point some have raised though, where's the character's weird, dark side?  This must be the most "normal" portrayal of Wonka that we've seen.  He seems a very typical, likeable movie hero.

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

I can see the point some have raised though, where's the character's weird, dark side?  This must be the most "normal" portrayal of Wonka that we've seen.  He seems a very typical, likeable movie hero.

My feeling is that I can see this Wonka evolve (or devolve) into the Gene Wilder one; especially he's had to endure years of paranoia surrounding the Chocolate Cartel and whatever other upstarts try to sabotage him. And considering when he came to town he was bamboozled, I can see him cloistering himself off and becoming more cynical. 

12 hours ago, AngieBee1 said:

My feeling is that I can see this Wonka evolve (or devolve) into the Gene Wilder one; especially he's had to endure years of paranoia surrounding the Chocolate Cartel and whatever other upstarts try to sabotage him. And considering when he came to town he was bamboozled, I can see him cloistering himself off and becoming more cynical. 

Plus hanging out with all those Oompa Loompas.

(edited)

Wonka got 1 nomination from the Set Decorators Society of America for its SDSA Film Awards 2023...

https://www.setdecorators.org/sites/setdecorators/pdf/2023_SDSA_Awards_Film_Press_Release_Nominations_Annoucement_1-5-24.pdf 

SDSA AWARDS FILM 2023 NOMINATIONS ANNOUNCED

LOS ANGELES, January 5, 2024—The Set Decorators Society of America, An International Organization, announces the nominations for the SDSA Awards Film 2023, celebrating excellence in the art of Set Decoration for films released in 2023, selected from four (4) categories.
Best Achievement in Décor/Design of a Fantasy or Science Fiction Film
BARBIE
Set Decoration by Katie Spencer SDSA with Production Design by Sarah Greenwood
GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3
Set Decoration by Rosemary Brandenburg SDSA with Production Design by Beth Mickle
THE HUNGER GAMES: THE BALLAD OF SONGBIRDS & SNAKES
Set Decoration by Sabine Schaaf with Production Design by Uli Hanisch
INDIANA JONES AND THE DIAL OF DESTINY
Set Decoration by Anna Pinnock with Production Design by Adam Stockhausen
WONKA
Set Decoration by Lee Sandales with Production Design by Nathan Crowley

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Wonka was nominated for an Art Directors Guild Award... 

Art Directors Guild Awards Nominees: ‘Barbie’, ‘Oppenheimer’, ‘John Wick: Chapter 4’ & More
By Erik Pedersen    Jan 9, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/art-directors-guild-awards-2024-nominees-list-1235700210/ 

Winners will be announced February 10 at Ovation Hollywood’s Ray Dolby Ballroom. The late production designer Lawrence G. Paull, a Blade Runner Oscar nominee whose credits also include Back to the Future and Romancing the Stone, will be inducted into the ADG Hall of Fame during the ceremony. 
FANTASY FEATURE FILM 

Barbie
Production Designer: Sarah Greenwood

The Creator
Production Designer: James Clyne

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
Production Designer: Beth Mickle

Poor Things
Production Designers: James Price, Shona Heath

Wonka
Production Designer: Nathan Crowley

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Wonka got an Artios Award nomination...

Casting Society Artios Awards: ‘Barbie,’ ‘Killers of the Flower Moon’ and ‘Oppenheimer’ Among Nominees
BY TYLER COATES    JANUARY 12, 2024
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/2024-artios-awards-movie-nominations-list-1235786254/ 

The 39th annual Artios Awards will be handed out at three simultaneous galas on March 7, with celebrations taking place at Los Angeles’ Beverly Hilton Hotel, New York City’s Edison Ballroom and a London venue still to be announced. As previously announced this month, Origin writer-director Ava DuVernay will receive the Lynn Stalmaster career achievement award.
FEATURE BIG BUDGET – COMEDY
Air (Amazon Studios): Mary Vernieu, Lindsay Graham Ahanonu, Sydney Shircliff (Associate Casting Director)
Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret (Searchlight): Francine Maisler, Melissa Kostenbauder, Betsy Fippinger (Location Casting), Tara Feldstein (Location Casting), Chase Paris (Location Casting), Molly Rose (Associate Casting Director)
Asteroid City (Focus Features): Douglas Aibel, Jina Jay (Location Casting), Matthew Glasner (Associate Casting Director)
Cocaine Bear (Paramount): Debra Zane, Dylan Jury, Alli Coffey (Location Casting)
Wonka (Warner Bros.): Nina Gold

Edited by tv echo

Wonka got nominations for VES Awards and MPSE Golden Reel Awards...

‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,’ ‘The Last of Us’ Among Visual Effects Society Awards Nominees
By Diego Ramos Bechara    Jan 16, 2024
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/news/visual-effects-society-awards-nominees-2024-complete-list-1235873314/

Motion Picture Sound Editors Reveal 2024 MPSE Golden Reel Nominations; ‘Oppenheimer’ Leads Movie Field
By Erik Pedersen   Jan 16, 2024
https://deadline.com/2024/01/golden-reel-awards-2024-nominations-list-mpse-1235791970/

(edited)

Wonka | Bonus Content | Paul King's Vision | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Feb 21, 2024

Wonka | Improve Your Moodle | Warner Bros. Entertainment
Warner Bros. Entertainment   Feb 27, 2024

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Aw, it tried, but it just didn't work for me. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it, either. It was just kind of sweet and okay and innocuous, with lots of repetitive patter-songs. When the two best songs are from the movie 50 years earlier? Yikes.

The main issue for me: Wonka (both book-version AND Wilder-version) is a devilish charmer, always the smartest guy in the room. I get that this is a prequel to a younger Wonka, but I felt like here, Paul King (a real visionary for the Paddington movies, previously) here just tried way too hard with the innocent whimsy and what we ended up with was not Willy Wonka, but Paddington Wonka. A sweet innocent wandering the world. And -- I just -- nope.

Adding to this, as mentioned, I just felt the songs were very weak. They all ran together, they were limited in range, similar in melody, and all patter-songs (mostly pallidly talk-sung by Chalamet's Wonka). They made zero impression on me. 

So it's weird that this is a musical. Why aren't more people singing? Why is Chalamet doing all the singing when he can barely sing? I figured most of the songs were solos because nobody would be able to hear him otherwise. I mean, Wilder was not an operatic divo, but he convincingly sang, held notes, there were actual songs happening.

The only time I liked Chalamet's singing or felt like he made a real effort was in the final reprise of "Pure Imagination" when Noodles found her mother. Suddenly, he was actually singing! He had vibrato! It was an actual performance! I liked it. I just felt like it was a bummer it was so late in the film. And it was still very wan and pallid. No projection, no diaphragm.

Ultimately, I just never bought that Chalamet was actually Wonka. He's twinkly and likable and not as dead-eyed as Depp's horrible interpretation (thank you, God), but he still lacks the spark of the book-Wonka that Wilder inhabited. And I just do not believe that Willy Wonka traveled the world but was somehow unable to read. I do not buy that Wonka was so gullible as to be taken in by the innkeepers. I do not believe Wonka could be so taken in by simplistic plots by fellow chocolate-makers (or that they would INSTANTLY attack him).

But my main issue is that the entire movie didn't tell us of the genius and whimsy of Wonka's inventions and beginnings -- instead we have to wade through a silly manufactured two hours of sidetracked "he needs a home" silliness in which I was never worried for a single minute about anything but a happy ending.

I wanted a movie about Wonka's factory and his decision to close it. I wanted a movie about his genius and whimsy and loneliness. This movie just took the easy way out.

Which, okay. Just not my cup of tea.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:58 AM, blackwing said:

The Johnny Depp film was a great success, how come they didn't talk about a sequel?

Bite your tongue! Oh, man, I hate that movie so much. I know the Dahl estate gave it a tongue bath, but Depp's horrible creepy Wonka has NOTHING to do with the book character (Wilder's version is chapter and verse much more faithful to the character -- and has far more lines that are right out of the book.) Then add in the stupid "Dentist father" subplot and the whole fallacy that Depp's version is more "faithful" to the book is just laughable. I mean, okay, Mr. Bucket is still alive. We get squirrels instead of geese for Veruca (the geese were understandably easier to film, and I still honestly prefer them -- they didn't change the plot, either). But -- ugh.

I truly love and respect the book but Dahl was a goofball for his rage against the Wilder adaptation. The only real sin of Wilder's is the title change (branding) and the "Fizzy Lifting Drinks" scene -- which I can forgive, since it wasn't expressly forbidden (unlike every other child-transgression) and was just a way for Willy to show that it wasn't about children being naughty, but about picking the truly ethical child, which Charlie was.

(Meanwhile, don't get me started on Grandpa Joe. Grr. Getting out of bed after watching your family starve for decades -- and only when a lifetime of rich food is guaranteed -- is not a good look for anyone.)

On 7/13/2023 at 5:16 PM, Bill1978 said:

As others have said, I too would prefer an adaptation of Glass Elevator.

You know, I loved Great Glass Elevator as a kid, but I reread it again recently as an adult and was shocked that I kind of hated it. The entire thing is just Grandma Georgina being an ass and messing things up for Wonka and everyone else repeatedly (same formula as "Chocolate Factory," but just one person messing things up over and over again). She's screechy and really tiresome. I loved the Vermicious Knids as villains (and they are really scary and creepy) but it just feels like a giant missed opportunity.

The book ended for me just when it got interesting. On the plus side, it does have several lines by Wonka that were included in the "Willy Wonka" movie with Wilder, so I love that someone definitely pulled all the good witticisms of Wonka's for the movie.

Anyway. I thought this was sweet and innocuous. But the movie version of soda. Completely sugary and forgettable.

Edited by paramitch
way too many uses of innocuous
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1