Type keyword(s) to search

S12.01: Hate Is Hate

DanaK
  • Start Topic

AS DANNY CONSULTS A PSYCHIC TO SOLVE THE MURDER OF A YOUNG BOY, FRANK IS AT ODDS WITH THE MAYOR OVER HOW BEST TO PROTECT THE CITY FROM AN UPTICK IN CRIME FOLLOWING A HIGH-PROFILE SHOOTING, ON "BLUE BLOODS," FRIDAY, OCT. 1

Pretty good episode. I liked Danny’s case and Frank’s clash with the mayor best. I hope Danny does get together with the psychic because I like their easy chemistry though his more logical approach clashes with her psychic stuff

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GussieK said:

I missed something. How did they find the school bus shooter, and who was it?  

It turned out the kid was accidentally killed by his biological father.  He knocked up the mother before going to prison, she moved on and was jealous that another man was raising his kid.  The psychic had it right in that the crime was rooted in jealousy and anger, just not like they thought.

The guy who shot at the school bus had been a lifetime trouble maker who should have still been locked up but because of current policy, wasn't. 

I hope we get some closure in what will happen to Eddie's partner regarding getting her shield back.   I'm surprised the guy at the station house is dumb enough to mess with someone who had their shield restored previously by the Commissioner himself (with a personal apology no less) and then keeps needling Jaime.  While we the viewers know that Frank has kept the reins tight and tried hard to not abuse his authority for his kids, if I worked with a person who had a powerful member of the NYPD (or politician) on his side, I would do my best NOT to mess with them even if I outranked them.  

After 12 years, that’s all the singing we get from Donnie!?

I think we got the shaft there!  I really was looking forward to see him wail!

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5

Callie Thorne is wonderful and I would love it if she was a love interest for Danny except...you know...she's a fucking psychic who has actual magical powers! How fucking stupid is it that there is a character on fucking BLUE BLOODS with magical powers? The answer is "Very much so." 

Also, the D.A. that they made a big deal about how they brought her in from Atlanta also happened to grow up in New York? That was...a choice (a lazy one). 

The special effects on the bus shooting were amazing. That was an intense scene!

• Love 1
10 hours ago, highway61 said:

He sang a bit in an early season 1 episode (can't remember the episode but Jackie was in the car with him.)  But the running joke on Twitter was "Danny Reagan activated Donnie Wahlberg mode" because everything about that is exactly how he acts on stage.  

9 hours ago, GussieK said:

Some random dude who keeps getting out due to policy.  His plates were altered but was identified by the bumper sticker and a tip. 

9 hours ago, DanaK said:

Pretty good episode. I liked Danny’s case and Frank’s clash with the mayor best. I hope Danny does get together with the psychic because I like their easy chemistry though his more logical approach clashes with her psychic stuff

Not sure how Maggie said they were "friends" when she hasn't been on the show in a few seasons, but ok.  I doubt he would ever get together with her though.  So long they don't bring back  Molly Chavez, the perp that was making googly eyes at him.  

• Useful 1
(edited)

The bystander who tried to disrupt the arrest of the guy who acted up at the grocery store was an idiot for interfering, especially hitting the officer. Also, wasn’t the grocery store suspect the same guy who was the bus shooter? I’m a little confused about that

Regarding Danny’s psychic friend, thinking about it, I don’t see how the sock of the child gave off any whiff of the biological father if, I think, they never met each other

Edited by DanaK
10 hours ago, GussieK said:

6 hours ago, magicdog said:

It turned out the kid was accidentally killed by his biological father.  He knocked up the mother before going to prison, she moved on and was jealous that another man was raising his kid.  The psychic had it right in that the crime was rooted in jealousy and anger, just not like they thought.

No, that was the younger boy who was killed by his bio dad. The school bus shooter was a different guy. See @MTLCHICK below

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Some random dude who keeps getting out due to policy.  His plates were altered but was identified by the bumper sticker and a tip. 

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Callie Thorne is wonderful and I would love it if she was a love interest for Danny except...you know...she's a fucking psychic who has actual magical powers!

A medium (as the character described herself) is not "magical".  There are real life persons who have been used in real life cases when all other methods have been exhausted.  Sometimes they do work.  Some people do have a certain connection that's difficult to explain.  It's not like we're dealing with a character from [original] Charmed or X-Files here.

Yes, I do think she could make a nice love interest for Danny!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Regarding Danny’s psychic friend, thinking about it, I don’t see how the sock of the child gave off any whiff of the biological father if, I think, they never met each other

Because she has magical powers because this show is sometimes really stupid. 

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

How fucking stupid is it that there is a character on fucking BLUE BLOODS with magical powers?

It does seem sort of out of place on this show, but real world cops consult psychics/mediums all the time.

7 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Also, the D.A. that they made a big deal about how they brought her in from Atlanta also happened to grow up in New York?

I agree.  They made a big deal out of her making that story up last season and now they tell us it's true.  I can't stand the character's attitude so I really don't care what her backstory is, but Anthony's line at the end was hilarious!  

I also can't stand Witten so if this is how they get rid of her, I'm fine with it even thou I think the reason she got suspended is total BS.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

It does seem sort of out of place on this show, but real world cops consult psychics/mediums all the time.

Oh sure, showing consults with psychics/mediums is totally fine, as cops DO consult with them in the real world (not nearly as much as TV depicts it, but it DOES happen), but you do that without showing that she has magical powers! You play it as "who knows?" not "No, she does, in fact, have magic powers." It's absurd. 

15 hours ago, highway61 said:

I know! The series blew what is probably the entire music budget for the season for less than 30 seconds! Rolling Stones songs are not cheap. 

8 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Also, the D.A. that they made a big deal about how they brought her in from Atlanta also happened to grow up in New York? That was...a choice (a lazy one). 

It doesn't seem outrageous that someone could grow up in New York, attend a Historically Black College or University in the south, start a law career in Atlanta, then move back to New York. There are plenty of lawyers who take and pass the bar exam in multiple states. My biggest problem was that with all of the current cases, why were they trying to solve a 20 year old unsolved murder. I wished they had somehow found a way to tie into a current case. I have no idea how they would have done that, but it would have made more sense. 

14 hours ago, GussieK said:

Some random person who owned a gun, had a great deal of anger, and some kind of criminal record. The problem when they do four storylines is that there is always one storyline that gets rushed and solved mostly offscreen. I loved the boys on the bus talking basketball. When I saw they were Jewish, my first thought was, maybe we'll get to see Detective Wolf again because he was awesome and I want the character to appear on the show again. 

Maybe I'm old fashioned or watched way too much Scooby-Doo growing up, but I like the when the series actually spent more time with the case and showed the characters doing more investigating. It was fun to be able to follow along and try to figure it out as the show progressed. 

Danny is willing to use Maggie the medium when he is completely stuck and out of other ideas. He's not constantly consulting a psychic/medium and revealing information that should be kept within the department. She sensed "father energy" (for lack of a better way to put it) on the sock. It took Danny awhile to figure out that the man who was with the boy when he was shot was not the biological father. The boy had two fathers, his stepfather who raised him, and the biological father. 

I love seeing Jamie slowly turn into his father. He's always been Frank's mini-me, we're just starting to see it come out more. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

The special effects on the bus shooting were amazing. That was an intense scene!

Almost too good. My tolerance right now for random violence and idiocy is very low. Enough of it every day in the news. Seeing those two kids shot like that was jarring and I came very close to leaving the series. Not to mention this storyline lost me so appreciate all the explanations here.

Love Callie Thorne from Necessary Roughness so hope she returns. I believe in mediums so I don't care. I like her with Danny.

Len Cariou does't age. Like the show has been on for 12 years! He looks the same. Love gramps. Also Selleck gets to do most of his scenes sitting down with the odd standing at a podium. Nice work if you can get it. Good for him. He's earned it.

3 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I also can't stand Witten so if this is how they get rid of her, I'm fine with it even thou I think the reason she got suspended is total BS.

You might get your wish. I'm expecting this storyline to end in suicide. The shot of her other gun (supposedly her father's), the emphasis on how difficult it is right now to be a police officer, her convincingly deflecting Eddie's concern, and the Captain being a total dick to her set this up imo.

Edited by OLynn33
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, OLynn33 said:

You might get your wish. I'm expecting this storyline to end in suicide. The shot of her other gun (supposedly her father's), the emphasis on how difficult it is right now to be a police officer, her convincingly deflecting Eddie's concern, and the Captain being a total dick to her set this up imo.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing when they zoomed in on the gun on the desk.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, OLynn33 said:
6 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

You might get your wish. I'm expecting this storyline to end in suicide. The shot of her other gun (supposedly her father's), the emphasis on how difficult it is right now to be a police officer, her convincingly deflecting Eddie's concern, and the Captain being a total dick to her set this up imo

yeah, my first thought was ‘chekhov's gun.’ so while i was surprised that it wasn’t used by the time the show ended, i expect magnumfangirl will ultimately be proved right — it just may take a couple of episodes to get there. 

• Love 3

Is anyone else bothered that in an episode that focuses on the equality of in innocent child victims but the chief of police only visits the mother of the white child victim (twice) and not the black child victim (even after he dies)? Why was the press conference all about the school bus shooting but not equally about the black child in Harlem. It had to be brought up by a reporter. If the writers were trying to get real, they succeeded. That’s how it is! But if they were trying to make a better message, they should have mentioned the inequality of coverage. Very disappointing episode from my POV. Would appreciate some clarity from production team and def more sensitivity to these racial imbalances from now on. Thanks

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

I give you both your points, (she can be annoying), but I’ve always been intrigued by the character. Always thought they intended for her to be “on the spectrum” or a little OCD, but I must have been wrong because she wouldn’t have left that mess in her living room!

I’m with OLYNN33, as I think she’s despondent enough to use her father’s gun. As for the Captain, seems he’s got a bug up his butt regarding both his underlings AND anyone associated with Reagans. Was that attitude evident before this season? I feel like he’s acting under someone’s influence. 

Edited by Daff
  • Love 2

There's a "chekhov's gun" in Witten's apartment for sure. Also, wasn't there a plotline earlier in this series about officers committing or attempting suicide and Frank was looking to changing the rules about treatment for the officer or benefits/pensions for the survivors? I am almost sure I remember a scene with Frank discussing the issue with variety of different clergy in a conference room, but I do not remember more than that.  

2 hours ago, Daff said:

I’m with OLYNN33, as I think she’s despondent enough to use her father’s gun. As for the Captain, seems he’s got a bug up his butt regarding both his underlings AND anyone associated with Reagans. Was that attitude evident before this season? I feel like he’s acting under someone’s influence. 

He's under the influence of "wokeness" along with the mayor.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I remember the captain having a chip on his shoulder last season regarding Jamie and his lineage. I seem to remember the same "last name is Reagan" words from his mouth and a reminder of their respective chain of command. Certainly it has been turned up a notch for this episode, but it was there last season as well.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, zapper said:

I remember the captain having a chip on his shoulder last season regarding Jamie and his lineage. I seem to remember the same "last name is Reagan" words from his mouth and a reminder of their respective chain of command. Certainly it has been turned up a notch for this episode, but it was there last season as well.

Didn't the captain also give him his mother's apartment, though?

• Love 1

Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is no chemistry between the Jamie and Eddie characters?  I'm just not feeling it.  They continue to act more like co-workers than husband/wife.  True there should not be any PDA at work, but even sitting around the dinner table Eddie just feels out of place.  I didn't get that feeling with the Danny/Linda characters.  Also, Danny has more chemistry with Biaz than with the psyhic.  I remember the show when they were locked in a basement and I think she might have even been shot...anyhoo, the way he held her and talked to her...now THAT'S chemistry.  I guess chemistry on screen boils down to believablity.  

Maybe it's time for the show to retire along with Frank.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Is it just me or does anyone else feel there is no chemistry between the Jamie and Eddie characters? 

It's not just you.  I don't like Eddie, but the show waited so long to get them together that they look bored with each other.

• Love 4

I wish this will be the last time we saw Kim (Erin’s boss) this season. Please make her go away for good.

I like Witten more than Eddie, so I hope she’ll stay. She makes Eddie watchable, for me. Eddie is a very boring character. I’d rather watch Sean and Jack than Eddie (and Nikki).

• Love 4
On 10/3/2021 at 6:20 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Didn't the captain also give him his mother's apartment, though?

maybe - i can't remember if it was this captain or a previous. regardless - i do remember some crap thrown down from captain to jamie later in the last season. perhaps they switched jamie's captain at some point or just switched his attitude toward Jamie.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 AM, Daff said:

I’m with OLYNN33, as I think she’s despondent enough to use her father’s gun. As for the Captain, seems he’s got a bug up his butt regarding both his underlings AND anyone associated with Reagans. Was that attitude evident before this season? I feel like he’s acting under someone’s influence

I don't like or dislike Witten, but I really like Eddie's loyalty to her, always having her back. I liked how Jamie went to bat for her too. I don't know what the Captain's problem is but he has a big one, located up his nether region. It was the worst example of police leadership ever. Punishing someone for following procedure? I thought that stupidhead who hit her should have been arrested for assaulting an officer, but I don't think he was. Did we ever get a motive for why the nutso was trashing that store. Didn't like any part of the DA's story or the DA. I really really thought that Witten was going to use the gun on herself, and as mentioned, maybe the fact that it was left open will be shown in a later episode.

I couldn't remember where I had seen the psychic before, and she was on Homicide. Psychic ability is not "magic." Danny shouldn't scoff at it, as in the case where the guy killed his wife for her insurance, and her daughter was getting bits of knowledge she thought were from God.

1 hour ago, susannah said:

Psychic ability is not "magic." Danny shouldn't scoff at it, as in the case where the guy killed his wife for her insurance, and her daughter was getting bits of knowledge she thought were from God.

I don't think Danny scoffs at it since it was his idea to see Maggie. I think he's skeptical, but willing to give it a try when he can't come up with anything else. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, susannah said:

Psychic ability is not "magic."

She picked up a little kid's sock and saw that his biological father was responsible for his death? Come on, it's totally magic. If you want say that perhaps so-called psychics in real life are really good at intuition and can be useful tools for police in that regard, then that's cool (The Morning Show recently used a psychic well in that regard), but this show has gone way past that and well into this lady having magical powers, which is an odd fit for a non sci-fi/fantasy TV series. 

6 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

She picked up a little kid's sock and saw that his biological father was responsible for his death? Come on, it's totally magic. If you want say that perhaps so-called psychics in real life are really good at intuition and can be useful tools for police in that regard, then that's cool (The Morning Show recently used a psychic well in that regard), but this show has gone way past that and well into this lady having magical powers, which is an odd fit for a non sci-fi/fantasy TV series. 

Yeah, that's tv, not reality. Also, "so-called" psychics really exist.

7 hours ago, susannah said:

Yeah, that's tv, not reality. Also, "so-called" psychics really exist.

It's not a sci-fi/fantasy show, which is why it is a weird fit to have a lady with magic powers on the show. And of course "so-called" physics exist. They do not have magic powers in real life like this lady, but they DO exist. 

On 10/2/2021 at 5:08 PM, OLynn33 said:

I'm expecting this storyline to end in suicide. The shot of her other gun (supposedly her father's), the emphasis on how difficult it is right now to be a police officer, her convincingly deflecting Eddie's concern, and the Captain being a total dick to her set this up imo.

Exactly what I was thinking. 

• Love 1