Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Reparations

DanaK
  • Start Topic

OUR KIND OF PEOPLE follows a strong-willed, single mom as she sets out to reclaim her family's name and make an impact with her revolutionary haircare line that highlights the innate, natural beauty of Black women. But she soon discovers a dark secret about her own mother's past that will turn her world upside-down and shake up this community forever. Single mother Angela Vaughn arrives in the Martha's Vineyard enclave with her teenage daughter and aunt and immediately is thrown into a world of wealth and glamour, as well as the crosshairs of the powerful Franklin and Dupont families in the all-new "Reparations" series premiere episode of OUR KIND OF PEOPLE, airing Tuesday, Sept. 21 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

I remember Yaya from Top Model and I’ve seen her in a few things (The Kids are All Right, The Butler, and I know she was in a medical drama that I didn’t watch), but IMO she was the weak acting link here. But it’s so soapy and Joe Morton is in it pontificating, which I love. I called him being Yaya’s father pretty early, and I like that it’ll set up a rivalry between her and … Morris Chestnut’s wife (sorry, I don’t know the names yet). I laughed when Yaya told her to see her about those dry ends.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I called him being Yaya’s father pretty early,

It wasn't that hard to guess since they didn't introduce any other men of the right age.

I predict that the two Half-Sisters will team up against their father and Morris Chestnut will become named the father's next-in-line.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 2

Does this show take place in the past? That model of Toyota Angie was driving was discontinued over 10 years ago.

Morris Chestnut Does. Not. Age. Mercy.

Black DuPonts? (Or Duponts, as it's spelled here.) Hmmm. This show didn't waste any time going there. Franklin is fairly generic and Jefferson has already used (George and Weezy). Dupont gets the point across. Even elite African Americans are likely descended from slaves who had their wealthy masters' last names.

For a second I thought Nadine Ellis was Sheryl Lee Ralph. Then I remembered SLR would be a lot older. Meanwhile, I didn't realize Yaya was old enough to play a character with a teenaged daughter. She's not aging either.

OMG, they've already got Joe Morton speechifying. I'm getting Eli Pope on Scandal flashbacks. 🤯

They sure were name-checking the Obamas. Around these kind of people the Obamas would likely be looked down upon as nouveau riche.

Tyrique's going to be the resident player apparently. I couldn't believe Angie was already kissing him, especially after she'd shaded him for trying to "buy" her with a pair of designer shoes.

Someone might have been trying to set Nikki up by getting her drunk. Someone who knows who her grandfather is.

Oy, these snooty private societies. Wonder how long it'll be before there's an episode about Black cotillions?

Coming at a rich girl about being on the downlow is probably not the way to go if you're trying to be accepted in a new town, Nikki.

Guess Angie's pal Josephine is going to be her deus ex machina, there to smooth over key plot points.

Hmm, Angie and Leah are sisters. Of course.

Loved the clothes and the hair. I'm in. I'll be curious to see how the ratings do and how long Fox will support it.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 5

Phew! So much happening in just this first episode; but it's a pilot.

I'm not really into soaps, but I'm getting a lot of Revenge-y vibes. We'll see how long I stick with it, but I'm in for now. I'm going to need at least one character to be mostly drama-free; but I know that's asking a lot for a show like this.

I feel like the teens (who don't look/act/talk like teens) are going to be the least interesting/most annoying part for me.

It might be a mistake to have Angela and Leah against each other so early?

Speaking of Revenge; I feel like Angela needs a Nolan-like character: someone firmly on her side that also has money and connections. Maybe that will be Tyrique, but he seems to be the Love Interest, so we'll see.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Trini said:

Speaking of Revenge; I feel like Angela needs a Nolan-like character: someone firmly on her side that also has money and connections.

Who is the friend who nominated Angela for the women's club?  She has some connections.  Does she have money?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, izabella said:

Who is the friend who nominated Angela for the women's club?  She has some connections.  Does she have money?

Ah, that's right. I think her name was Josephine? I hope they expand her character.

• Love 1

I remember her from when she was a kid on All My Children.

She started out on AMC playing a teenager but Debbi Morgan was in her 20s at the time. She's always looked younger than her age it seems. It's great to see her here and I hope she gets to do more than provide comic relief.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said: I'll be curious to see how the ratings do and how long Fox will support it.

Well I would have thought with the promo’s during the NFL on consecutive Sundays would have helped garner an audience but apparently not. It came in at a 0.35 with 1.64 million watching. Those are not good numbers for a premier. I think at this point I will DVR it and if they make it through the season and there is talk of a season 2 I’ll binge watch it to catch up. 

• Useful 2
5 hours ago, Rorysmom said:

Debbie Morgan in *65* y'all.

That woman has a whole river of youth flowing through her backyard. 

It's the dimples, you can't have cute dimples and look old 😁

Edited by GaT
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

For those comparing this to Revenge, I saw someone online say that the book this show is based on actually came first so Revenge probably based their show on  that. 
I enjoyed the first episode, but I’m hesitant to give another Lee Daniels show a shot long term. I stayed for Empire until the end but none of the subsequent seasons really compared to the first season. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

For those comparing this to Revenge, I saw someone online say that the book this show is based on actually came first so Revenge probably based their show on  that. 

No, Revenge was based on the novel The Count of Monte Cristo.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Angeleyes said:

I enjoyed the first episode, but I’m hesitant to give another Lee Daniels show a shot long term. I stayed for Empire until the end but none of the subsequent seasons really compared to the first season. 

Agreed.  Empire became too outrageous early in season 2.  I really enjoyed season 1 of Empire.  But I checked out after the third or fourth episode of season 2.

I'm hoping this is not a pattern for Lee Daniels' shows.  Lure you in with decent to good writing.  Then have you asking what the hell's going on on now.

On another note:  I'm noticing the music is too loud at some times, you can't really hear much of the dialogue.  That tends to happen  a lot with these types of shows.

Edited by Sycophant4Lease
  • Love 2

I thought this was horrible. So obvious and cliche. And it’s just everyone telling us things instead of a story actually happening. So over the top. I could probably predict how every so called storyline is going to unfold. 

Also the annoying dad from Scandal is in it doing his usual over the top villain acting. Lame.

Deleted from my pvr.

• Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Does this show take place in the past? That model of Toyota Angie was driving was discontinued over 10 years ago.

Loved the clothes and the hair. I'm in. I'll be curious to see how the ratings do and how long Fox will support it.

No, I think her car is just that old - I just assumed she's pouring most of her money into building her business and the rest into raising Nikki.

Yeah, the long lost sisters angle was a bit of an eye roll for me -- but hey, they both are gonna hate their dad, so I guess this could be something for them to eventually bond over!

• Love 1
On 10/1/2021 at 10:25 AM, SlovakPrincess said:
On 9/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

No, I think her car is just that old - I just assumed she's pouring most of her money into building her business and the rest into raising Nikki.

Yeah, the long lost sisters angle was a bit of an eye roll for me -- but hey, they both are gonna hate their dad, so I guess this could be something for them to eventually bond over!

I had that car - It was either a 98 or 99 and I just got rid of it in 2019!   It was a GREAT car!