Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Nothing Ever Changes Around Here

paulvdb

This was an okay opening.

I didn’t care for Chloe trampling all over Carol’s investigation.  I’m sure she misses it, but it was her decision to quit the force.  I think Carol handled it perfectly.  Told her respectfully to back off, then asked for her input.  Not for her advice, like she was his mentor, but like they were equals, let’s do this together.

The one thing I was disappointed with, was Dan’s purgatory and Luci’s response.  Not that I didn’t like Lucifer’s solution for Dan, I just don’t think it was executed well.  I did like the continuity that Dan’s been there for a month, but it’s like 1000 years for him.  Same as with S5 & Lucifer being in Hell.

Maze & Eve are so cute together, but what are they going to do as Eve ages?  And will she go back to Heaven when she dies, where Maze can’t follow?  Later in the season

Spoiler

Adam comes down from Heaven to try to win Eve back 

So we will probably see some c***** in the armor of this relationship, down the line.  

No Tricia or baby Charlie, but oh well.  And please let Linda & Amenadiel get back together romantically!  There is so much chemistry between them.  More than Meve or Deckerstar IMO.

• Love 2

I liked it because it felt like nothing really changed.  A murder to solve, but kind of a reverse.  Chloe sticking her nose in instead of Lucifer.

Sucks for Dan to be stuck in hell playing ping pong with someone who sucks.

• Love 1

I still think Amen would be a better God, he at least cares about helping people. And he gives good advise. Lucifer is still his selfish self and knows it. 

As for the case, this was on of their weaker ones. Chloe still wanting to be Detective, you quit Chloe, no one made you do it. 

• Love 3

Lucifer is back for one final ride and... apparently, no one wants to actually to go in the direction they are currently heading in, it seems.  Lucifer worried and delaying his promotion to God status?  Check.  Chloe not being able to shake off going into detective mode?  Check.  Maze not wanting to actually rule Hell?  Check again.  Heck, even Linda seems to be second guessing being a therapist to mortals now that she's gotten into celestial drama!

I do like that they are actually showing Carol to be a competent detective, even if still ended with him asking Chloe for help.  But he still managed to piece a lot of things together on his own, so I'm happy he isn't some bumbling fool.  Hope Scott Porter sticks around for a bit.

Aww, Maze and Eve are engaged!  I can only imagine how any potential wedding would look.  Loved the whole dinner table scenes.  In particular, D.B. Woodside's reaction shots were on point.

So, Dan is technically in Hell, but Lucifer created some kind of special purgatory for him, where he at least isn't being tortured.  But he is clearly already at the end of his rope after spending a thousand years (for him) playing ping pong with someone who sucks at it, heh.

Cool that Kevin Alejandro got to direct this one.

Curious to see how this all plays out!

• Love 8

Much like Eve,  I get Chloe's problem.   Wtf is she supposed to do between bouncing from earth to take care of Trixie and going to the silver city to hang with lucifer and eat egg sandwiches  it sounds massively unfulfilled.  Why shouldn't she stay a detective when it's what's she's wanted to do forever.   If Lucy can't interfere with human wills it makes sense to have her have a job to actually protect humanity.  Plus,  much like God, once Lucifer ascends he'd be omniscient,  not like he has to spend all time on the throne.... the all knowing should be able to multi task. 

Also I get eve and maze, aside lol for her telling eve that she's not talking to her garbage siblings when six weeks ago she was using them for war they were cannon fodder,  but why tf would the first human who left paradise want to live in hell.  That's bonkers. 

I get Daniel's frustration but it was nice of lucifer to create purgatory just for him. But why didn't lucifer make the purgatory an improv setting,  Dan wouldn't have gotten bored of that as quickly. 

I have to wait for the husband to get home from his trip to finish the episodes ugh. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 3

Was that Brad from Gilmore girls, in the background? “I’m winningly naive!” 
I’m glad that we get to see Dan. It’s still hell, so I don’t expect him to be having fun.  
I wonder if Amenadiel will end up as the new God. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Aww, Maze and Eve are engaged!  I can only imagine how any potential wedding would look.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, roamyn said:

Maze & Eve are so cute together,

"You are my hell"   ----  normally something that would be meant as an insult.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:57 AM, roamyn said:

I did like the continuity that Dan’s been there for a month, but it’s like 1000 years for him.  Same as with S5 & Lucifer being in Hell.

A long time ago, back in S1, that murderer very briefly died only for Amenadiel to bring him back to life ------

then, in the next episode, Amenadiel pointed out to him that what he thought was several days of touture in Hell

was just a few brief moments here on "the mortal plane".    So, that has been "a thing" longer than you think.

• Love 3
On 9/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, Sakura12 said:

Lucifer is still his selfish self and knows it. 

That's fair, but his discussions with Lopez showed he's realized he's got to step up, and it's legitimately daunting. What I liked about the end of last season and what I got this episode was 'ok, I won? What now?' That's a really interesting space to explore. And that's the same with Maze, 'ok you asked to rule hell go ahead'. She's not sure how that works.

I was (pleasantly) surprised that get got to Dan right off the bat. It's fair that he's not in an actual loop, but Dan shouldn't be blaming Lucifer either. He's got to work it out. 

• Love 4
On 9/11/2021 at 4:08 AM, Delphi said:

I get Daniel's frustration but it was nice of lucifer to create purgatory just for him. But why didn't lucifer make the purgatory an improv setting,  Dan wouldn't have gotten bored of that as quickly. 

It's Dan's hell, he created it, not Luci. All Lucifer can do is prevent the demons from torturing Dan. It's up to Dan to work out what he feels guilty about and why he's mostly in the police station (remember Dan told Lucifer he's tried every door, including the one Lee went through to get to heaven, so Dan has theoretically visited other people's hells to try and find his way out). Lucifer has told Dan what he knows/understands about how heaven and hell function, the irony is Dan wants Lucifer to short cut the work after last season's episode where Dan taught Lucifer how putting in the work was rewarding and got results. Dan has to search his soul and figure why he's trapped himself.

Until the closing scene with Dan I was a little frustrated with the first episode. Like others have said Chloe chose to quit her job (and Luci told her hold off and probably not just because he didn't think he could beat Michael), so being upset she couldn't solve mysteries was all on her. And I'm glad Carol was firm, but polite about this no longer being her job. And what was up with Linda directing Maze and Eve to fight over dinner. Even if she was right that Maze needed to admit she didn't want to go back to hell, it was awkward and annoying (outside of Amendial's facial expressions).

• Love 6

I thought Lucifer said he created the purgatory Dan was in. He specifically used that word. Unless it's a subset of hell. That's fine, but I just didn't get that as a takeaway. nbd. 

I agree it's up to Dan. He can't go through Lee's door. 

I do think it's fair, as I was saying, that Dan's hell, isn't hell-hell. Per se. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I thought Lucifer said he created the purgatory Dan was in. He specifically used that word. Unless it's a subset of hell. That's fine, but I just didn't get that as a takeaway. nbd. 

Oh it's definitely a purgatory, but I was commenting more on why it's the police station and not an improv theater. Dan has chosen to be stuck in the police station, for reasons only Dan can solve. Lucifer's contribution was to try and keep it from a complete hell loop with torture. Unfortunately playing endless games against a demon who never figures out how to play was its own form of torture.

Lucifer tried to explain Dan's free will is what got him stuck there, made it a hell loop, at most Luci can alleviate some of his suffering, not all of it.

What's funny, is for being a rebel, Lucifer is very stuck on the rules as he understands them, even with evidence that angels can self-actuate and demons can grow a soul. But I think for him the threat of removing everyone's free will is too great a risk, which is why he didn't just whisk Dan to heaven.

• Love 1

But that's not really how we've been shown how hell loops work.   Lee was constantly just outside his families house afraid to go in.   What got him into heaven is his willingly leaving the car to go see his family.   I don't think Daniel's guilt is based on the police station more than the failure of his marriage,  his dragon one corruption,  trying to kill lucifer,  him and maze killing that guy.   I think before lucifer intervened his loop would've been much different. 

Edited by Delphi
3 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

[W]hat was up with Linda directing Maze and Eve to fight over dinner. Even if she was right that Maze needed to admit she didn't want to go back to hell, it was awkward and annoying (outside of Amendial's facial expressions).

Linda is Maze's friend and a therapist.  It's second nature to her to use her expertise to help others.

• Love 3

Nice return to the cop from the very first episode. Sorry to see his life has been messed up ever since, though. (Lol)

I feel like I need to replay the scene between Lucifer and Dan. For some reason, I thought I heard Lucifer say that he'd created a whole bunch of scenarios for Dan to play out, and the ping pong one was just the latest. So I don't think he's been stuck playing ping pong the whole time? He might have had to do other boring annoying stuff too? Unless I misheard. Like I said, I'll have to go back and rewatch the scene. Does anyone recall what Dan said?

Edited by sinkwriter
4 hours ago, Gwendolyn said:

It's Dan's hell, he created it, not Luci. All Lucifer can do is prevent the demons from torturing Dan. It's up to Dan to work out what he feels guilty about and why he's mostly in the police station (remember Dan told Lucifer he's tried every door, including the one Lee went through to get to heaven, so Dan has theoretically visited other people's hells to try and find his way out). Lucifer has told Dan what he knows/understands about how heaven and hell function, the irony is Dan wants Lucifer to short cut the work after last season's episode where Dan taught Lucifer how putting in the work was rewarding and got results. Dan has to search his soul and figure why he's trapped himself.

Until the closing scene with Dan I was a little frustrated with the first episode. Like others have said Chloe chose to quit her job (and Luci told her hold off and probably not just because he didn't think he could beat Michael), so being upset she couldn't solve mysteries was all on her. And I'm glad Carol was firm, but polite about this no longer being her job. And what was up with Linda directing Maze and Eve to fight over dinner. Even if she was right that Maze needed to admit she didn't want to go back to hell, it was awkward and annoying (outside of Amendial's facial expressions).

It could be that she's used to helping them sort things out, or it could be that she was wondering what would happen, if she got back together with Amenadiel. 

Lucifer is back again for one last ride...and is pulled over by the cop from the start of the show, giving us a nice cocaine filled bookend. I can get why they are dragging their feet (the writers and characters) to make their next big steps, having your main character be actual God makes for some real challenges when writing drama, but I can also see how its a big deal for Lucifer as well. He won the big chair to change the system that he has long found to be unfair, but now that the dust has settled, its become real. This is going to be a huge deal, changing everything he has ever been and is basically the biggest responsibility that could ever be, the pressure is really on. He has always struggled with whether or not he was truly selfish or not, and now he isnt sure if he is really the guy who can care about everyone and everything in the way that Ella described. 

Chloe is also struggling with the upcoming move, and while I think she was kind of annoying butting into the new detectives investigation, I can see why this is really hard. I guess they don't have too many crimes to solve in the Silver City? She is kind of in the same position as Eve, what is she actually going to be doing as Gods girlfriend now? She is definitely the sort of person who needs to keep busy. Also, never go to a magic show with Chloe, she's out to murder your sense of wonder. 

Maze and Eve are one of the few couples that can make "your my hell" so romantic. Linda trying to therapy them was hilarious, as were Amenadiel's reactions, especially him giving her silent applause when Eve and Maze got engaged. Awwww. 

Glad that we quickly got to Dan, even if he is still really struggling. At least he is in basically in ping pong purgatory, which isnt great but is probably better than torture at least. As much as Dan has worked on himself and tried to deal with his guilt, he clearly has something that he is working through that he hasn't dealt with yet, even if its in his subconscious. 

I like new detective Carol, I hope he stays a good guy and isnt a murderer like Ella's last boyfriend. Even if it really freaked Lucifer out, I really liked her speech about why she finds the constant prescience of God appealing. No matter who you are or how badly you mess up or how alone you feel, there is someone who cares about you. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Lucifer is back again for one last ride...and is pulled over by the cop from the start of the show, giving us a nice cocaine filled bookend. I can get why they are dragging their feet (the writers and characters) to make their next big steps, having your main character be actual God makes for some real challenges when writing drama, but I can also see how its a big deal for Lucifer as well. He won the big chair to change the system that he has long found to be unfair, but now that the dust has settled, its become real.

It's fair because god-god just left and didn't say anything about the transition, and they all had a huge 'war', so everything is really a mess now. I can buy, well, wtf now? I feel like Lucifer needs to achieve a higher level of enlightenment or something. 

On 9/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, Anela said:

Was that Brad from Gilmore girls, in the background? “I’m winningly naive!” 

Sure was!  I recognized him too and looked on imdb to be sure.  

When the episode began, I was a smidge emotional about starting the very last Lucifer season.  Will miss this special show and this wonderful cast.

I’m liking Carol (funny moment when Lucifer called him Carl and then cringed a little at finding out his real name is Carol).  

• Love 2
On 9/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, tennisgurl said:

I can get why they are dragging their feet (the writers and characters) to make their next big steps, having your main character be actual God makes for some real challenges when writing drama, but I can also see how its a big deal for Lucifer as well. 

I can see why they're dragging their feet but

Spoiler

by the second episode, it felt like they were dragging too much.

It's like they have no idea what to do when he becomes God.  I hope they don't drag this out too much longer.  

9 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

It's like they have no idea what to do when he becomes God.  I hope they don't drag this out too much longer. 

You should pray they don't drag this out too much longer. Oh wait!, nobody is listening.

• LOL 4

I was putting this off, not because I didn't want to watch, but because the thought of this being the final season just made me too sad. But, I ended up binging the first 4 episodes. I'm still loving this crazy show and I really enjoyed the opener. I like that they're dragging their heels a bit and we've not been shown Lucifer up in heaven. I wasn't sure how that would work, or if I would like it, so having nothing really change yet has made me happy. And count me in as another who likes Carol and think he's a great addition to this season. And, while he was never my favourite, I was so happy to see Dan this episode. Who would have thought I would have grown to not only appreciate the character, but also miss him as well.