Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E12: Finale This is our Country

• Start Topic

Who will take home the crown? A spot in the Drag Race Hall of Fame is at stake as the finalists write, record, and perform verses to RuPaul's new song This is Our Country, featuring country music legend Tanya Tucker. Air Date: Sep 1, 2021

Well, that was the winner I expected, but not the one that I wanted.  Although I like all four of the finalists, I was hoping another queen would take the crown.

Spoiler

Kylie Sonique Love wins season 6 of Drag Race Allstars.

Edited by PDXlulu
  • Love 2

I thought the right person won. I also think they were smart to eliminate Trinity before this challenge. 

Here's hoping next season incorporates actual criticism. Watching Holland made me realize that's what I resent about the US version lately. They either demolish people or pretend they're perfect. It's annoying. 

Did anyone else totally forget Shea had won the last season? 

Also, why couldn't their verses have just been fun? It shouldn't always have to be about a platform. 

• Love 4

I like Kylie and have no problem with her winning, but wow the editing on this episode robbed the finale of any suspense whatsoever.  There was soooooo much Kylie— it felt like the camera was cutting to one of her comments every ten seconds— that there was no mistaking who was going to win. C’mon, show at least make us wonder a little bit.

What gets me though— and really starts to make me angry at this point— is that if a big queen can’t win this season, it just isn’t going to happen.  Ever.  Ru will never do it, and her bias is now firmly written in stone.  If you combine the regular show with All Stars there have now been 19 seasons.  Nineteen.  And with all the star-powered big queens— some of the biggest names to emerge from Drag Race— not one— not even one— has ever won?  It’s clear that this is one blind spot that Ru is never going to overcome.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 6

Holy fuck, yes!!  I was rooting for Kylie but didn't really believe that an amazing transfeminine queen from season 2 was going to enter the hall of fame.  But wow!  I'm so happy for her, and that is an amazing rudemption.  It's way past time that we saw the first transgender winner of U.S. RPDR.  And hopefully she will one day share the stage at an international all-winners season with

Spoiler

her counterpart, the winner of Drag Race Thailand season 2, Angele Aanang.) 

The perfect end to this very long season...

How many bullshit patriotic songs has Ru forced down our throats thus far?  And this was recorded during the Trump administration, too.  You love this country because you're a super-rich out of touch person, and the kind of 'cowboy' who leases his land for fracking, Ru.

Ginger's final runway was actually really good; I didn't love Kylie's, but her lipsync outfit was very chic and made up for it.  Shea looked good in her return spot.  

• Love 1

I guess I don't have too many issues with this win other than I cannot believe queens like Raven, Manila, and Alyssa Edwards haven't made it into the Hall of Fame - JuJubee & Latrice as well.  I think they should grandfather some of these into the Hall.

• Love 8

The Hall of Fame should really be a totally separate thing for queens who have gone on to exceptional achievement, like any other other Hall of Fame. I guess it's too late for that now, though! 

This season was just "meh" for me: not enough goofy fun, too many of the queens were stressed out trying to figure out what Ru wants, and too many therapy session challenges. 

• Love 8

So condragulations to Kylie on winning. I sort of guessed before I even watched that she had the best chance of winning. I really wasn't feeling her early in the season ( I would have eliminated her for Pink Table Talk) but she popped with the American Horror Story challenge. When they released that Brady Bunch parody with her in the lead it was obvious she was making it to the end , if not winning.

That said these finale episodes have become very formulaic and unexciting especially when the eliminated queens are not in the mix.

My take and winners for each segment: 

Interview: Eureka - she has great conversational flow and felt the most sincere IMO

Main challenge (Country video) - Kylie wins here for me - great energy and looked amazing. The song was fine but not something I'm going to put on my playlist.

Runway  -Eureka was the most eleganza. The others all looked great - but for a final there were elements missing (Ginger needed something on her head / Kylie needed a skirt IMHO)

Final lipsync - Kylie and Rajah were both great

On 9/3/2021 at 5:30 AM, bobbyjoe said:

What gets me though— and really starts to make me angry at this point— is that if a big queen can’t win this season, it just isn’t going to happen.  Ever.  Ru will never do it, and her bias is now firmly written in stone.  If you combine the regular show with All Stars there have now been 19 seasons.  Nineteen.  And with all the star-powered big queens— some of the biggest names to emerge from Drag Race— not one— not even one— has ever won?  It’s clear that this is one blind spot that Ru is never going to overcome.

I don't think it's Ru's bias per se. I think she was ready to crown Ginger(Season 7) and Eureka (Season 10) but ultimately there was fan backlash to both of them. The fan votes on social media definitely counts regarding who they crown.

I think Kylie's win was Ru's redemption with the trans community or she's hoping it was. She's really received black marks from the community and rightfully so. I love Kylie's evolution and I was rooting for her. I just think Ru is far too calculating to have let this chance go.

• Love 3

Congratulations Kylie!  I thought her runway look was really beautiful (I like Eureka's as well).

18 hours ago, Wonderlad71 said:

That said these finale episodes have become very formulaic and unexciting especially when the eliminated queens are not in the mix.

You could almost see the girls producing themselves at the end.  "What do I need to say or do to get Ru an Emmy?" was written all over their faces.

On 9/2/2021 at 7:22 PM, phoenix780 said:

Also, why couldn't their verses have just been fun? It shouldn't always have to be about a platform. 

Agreed.  Thinking back to some of the objectively better songs/performances ("Read U Wrote U", "Category Is" and "Kitty Girl"), most of the verses were about how good the queen is and how they are going to get the crown.  I guess "I am American" may have been the turning point with incorporating a platform into the verses but it still wasn't heavy handed (and I'm pretty sure Aquaria's verse was all about herself lol).

3 hours ago, zenithwit said:

You could almost see the girls producing themselves at the end.  "What do I need to say or do to get Ru an Emmy?" was written all over their faces.

Yes indeed - and apparently they shot this episode with about ten alternate endings (each girl winning option as well as every double win combo). So there is a lot of acting involved especially in the untucked (filming defeated girls packing even though there is possibility they may win).

• Love 1
23 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

I think Kylie's win was Ru's redemption with the trans community or she's hoping it was. She's really received black marks from the community and rightfully so. I love Kylie's evolution and I was rooting for her. I just think Ru is far too calculating to have let this chance go.

A season with so many explicit "this is my platform" moments definitely factored in what type of person the winner would represent, but I think it could have just as easily gone to a Big Queen so they could check that box. The next regular season will probably do that, but hopefully they'll edit it so it feels earned. 

I still think Kylie deserved the win based on her talent. I'm just cynical about the show. 

• Love 1
On 9/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, hatchetgirl said:

This was all I could think of when Kylie was crowned and I like Kylie too: that Ru is hoping she was getting her own Ru-demption with the trans community. 

Best part of the finale was seeing Shea again. I'm glad it's over and can only hope next season is better.

• Love 2
On 9/4/2021 at 8:16 AM, hatchetgirl said:

I totally think this as well. Kylie is talented but there is no way Ru would pass up 2 opportunities: 1 - to endear herself to the trans community and 2 - have an earlier season girl win to prove she isn’t “ignoring” the older casts or an older queen. (Not that she’s old but old in the eyes of RPDR)

And Raja needs to stop trying with “Ohh my gaawd.” Fetch isn’t going to happen. 

Edited by Sugarbeetle
Adding one more thing.
  • Love 3