Type keyword(s) to search

90DF Live Chat 3: I Gave Up Everything To Be Here

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Genuine question. Is it better to assume people are not until they tell you otherwise ?

I’d say it’s best to assume someone is not developmentally disabled unless they (or their verbal advocate/s) identify them that way.  

I think an issue is that most assumptions (and message board statements like “I think Castmember X is autistic”) are based in the most well known and *most negative* stereotypes, which in turn keeps the most negative aspects of the disorders the most well known.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 6
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

I’d say it’s best to assume someone is not developmentally disabled unless they (or their verbal advocate/s) identify them that way.  

I think an issue is that most assumptions (and message board statements like “I think Castmember X is autistic”) are based in the most well known and *most negative* stereotypes, which in turn keeps the most negative aspects of the disorders the most well known.

No question. It’s just as bad as saying “all autistic people flap their hands in a weird way”.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Genuine question. Is it better to assume people are not until they tell you otherwise ?

Not everyone has a diagnosis. Treating people as thought they have a diagnosis is a separate issue from noticing struggle or behavior patterns. I maintain that TLC exploits people with differences. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Hotel Snarker said:

No question. It’s just as bad as saying “all autistic people flap their hands in a weird way”.

My nephew is mildly autistic. He struggles with certain things but doesn’t meet the stereotype or most well know behaviours associated with Autism. It can be very different from case to case.

Edited by sainte-chapelle
  • Like 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Drogo said:

It’s like an echo chamber full of hairspray and Michael Kors bags.  
But the restaurant is really pretty.

Oooooh and I bet they smell like clashing Bath and Body Works scents!

• LOL 10

We may not get the donkey tonight, peeps.  Looks like Debbie & Oussama are having a conversation sort of in the AREA where the donkey may be... AND Deb's wearing that blue hat... in the preview for next week.  AARRGGGHH!!!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1
57 minutes ago, Gobi said:

I was surprised she broke that coconut so easily, but then again she is good at breaking nuts.

Johan does like those nuts... 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, magemaud said:

So this damn donkey ride is going to be the Grand Finale? 

Maybe the donkey is the ride Debbie is taking to the  airport to come back to America.

Edited by Zombness
  • LOL 5
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

Maybe she'll ride it to the airport in the finale.

Ninja'd by @Zombness!

Edited by Gobi
  • Like 1
  • LOL 3
3 minutes ago, sainte-chapelle said:

My nephew is Miley autistic. He struggles with certain things but doesn’t meet the stereotype or most well know behaviours associated with Autism. It can be very different from case to case.

Exactly the reason why some people have those exact stereotypes when it comes to autism.

• Useful 3
Just now, magemaud said:

I didn't miss that, either? What the? They've been teasing us with this dang ride (and fall) forever!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

My anecdote: Because the weather was so warm earlier this week, I slept with the windows open. At around 5:30am, my dog starts barking like someone was breaking into the house. Turns out she heard the wild turkeys gobbling as they walked through the backyard. Fucking turkeys are around all the time.

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 5
Just now, Auntie Anxiety said:

My anecdote: Because the weather was so warm earlier this week, I slept with the windows open. At around 5:30am, my dog starts barking like someone was breaking into the house. Turns out she heard the wild turkeys gobbling as they walked through the backyard. Fucking turkeys are around all the time.

Cobra chickens here aka Canada Goose.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Hotel Snarker said:

Exactly the reason why some people have those exact stereotypes when it comes to autism.

Nobody ever believes that I'm on the spectrum. "But you're not like that..."

• Hugs 1
  • Love 3