Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E14: There Will Be Brood

• Start Topic

Mick’s squeal of fear that Con might be a ghost was both cute and funny.

Ok even Bishop is creeped out by Con’s evil flask.

Maisie directed this one!

Spooner found her mom (or possibly “mom”) in Odessa a century ago and already busted out the gun to protect her from evil oil guy.

I think Con should eat some of those mushrooms and work out his problems while on a non-magic high. 

So Spooner is from the past. They’re totally going to reveal that Con and/or Bishop abducted her aren’t they?

There’s an intergalactic Instagram? I buy it.

So Mick admits his feelings for Kayla. Good choice.

They’re going all in on Bad Guy Con but at least Matt is killing it.

I guess Spoons has magic now? And found a way to save her mom without fucking up history.

Bishop blew up Mick? And tricked Con into poisoning himself? Which leaves Earth vulnerable to alien invasion. I guess this explains how Kara and Clark were able to get here.

At least Zari got to see him before he died.

• Love 4

Did the Winchesters just break the world?  If they did I guess they're now Winchesters.  Still have a way to go to equal Loki and Sylvie.

Lisseth Chavez did more than kill it in this episode.  Great work.  And poor Astra, she's lost her mother, John, and maybe Spooner.

At least will get to see Snart and Axel.  Don't like killing him.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, janeta said:

Do we know if Ryan's out of it for good? (I've only been watching for Con…)

If anyone answers that, can you spoiler tag it? I don’t want to know.

• Love 1

Do we know if Ryan's out of it for good? (I've only been watching for Con…)

I saw in another thread (the media thread?) that:

Spoiler

Constantine is done at the end of this season, but Matt Ryan will be back as another character. 

I don't have confirming sources about that one way or another.

• Love 1

I didn't know we had one episode remaining. So much happened this week, and it looks like three Legends are in dire straits. Five if you count Sara and Ava getting hitched next week. #rimshot

Okay . . . so Spooner was born a century ago, and a giant mushroom thrust her forward in time when she was a little girl. Also, mushrooms and alien organisms. I can actually buy the second thing. But in the end, the Man-Bun That Would Not Fucking Go Away Fast Enough double-crosses and poisons John, and seemingly destroys the giant mushroom, which might have killed Spooner. Oh, and his baby trap gets Mick blown up. Did I mention that I don't care for Bishop? Like he's a descendant or clone of Vandal Savage.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Did I mention that I don't care for Bishop? Like he's a descendant or clone of Vandal Savage.

At least Vandal Savage finally got over his hatred of the Legends after spending some time in Hell, which is why he and Ray Palmer became BFFs while Ray was trapped there.

• Love 1

Totally missed that Maisie Richardson-Sellers directed this one!  Glad she is branching out and I thought she did a great job here, but I do miss Charlie.  Hope we get another appearance or cameo someday.

So, Spooner's "origin" story was a trip.  Instead of aliens abducting her mom, she (and her mom) were actually from 1925 this entire time, Spooner's mom was killed by an evil tycoon (always good seeing Steve Bacic!), and while fleeing, Kid Spooner stumbled upon the Fountain of Imperium which was actually an alien this entire time (?) and saved Spooner by sending her into the future (I think.)  That's... a lot to take in and raises so many questions, but at least we get a better idea of the character.  Lisseth Chavez did great work throughout it all: as did Olivia Swann and I'm really starting to dig the Astra/Spooner duo.

I thought this season was sixteen episodes, so I wasn't expecting the "shit hits the fan" penultimate episode stuff to happen like it did.  So, as of now, it certainly looks like both Constantine and Mick suffered dire fates.  We'll see how this all plays out, I guess.  I know that 

Spoiler

Matt Ryan is continuing on but will be playing someone else next season, but it sounds like Dominic Purcell wanted out, so I'm curious to see if this truly is it for Mick.

Whenever Behrad finally returns from his trip, I really wouldn't blame him if he just turned around and went back.

Hope the finale at least takes out Bishop for good.  Again, no disrespect to the actor, but this character has been so underwhelming as the main baddie.

• Love 2

Excellent episode! wow the amount of emotions it delivered 😢. LOT writers still have it in them to give us serious episodes like this one.  

Loved the focus on Esperanza, she was adorable as a child. Spooner instantly knowing who her mother was without remembering her was touching. So now we know that it wasn't exactly that aliens abducted Spooner but she was actually taken to be protected. The alien life force wasn't actually evil but a force of good. Nice twist the writers had there. Esperanza's mother's death in the original timeline infuriated me. Man, what greed can do. I'm glad Spooner made that man suffer. I'm glad that Spooner got to see her mother again even after losing her as a child. Heartwarming how her mother didn't doubt Esperanza's word she knew it was her daughter. Now what will happen with John's actions killing the fountain? I'm worried for Spooner.

Astra was the right person to be trapped with Esperanza if anyone knows what it feels like to lose a mother it's her. Her avice to Esperanza was right on but I liked that she gave into Spooner's demands in the end. It was also nice to see Astra care about someone else. She really loves the Legends. And, she loves John too. Her last moment with him was fitting after all that's gone down between them that moment of care as John lays dying was nice.

Speaking of John look at what his obsession for magic cost him, his life. And an innocent alien life too. I know he is magic so to speak nut to betray the Legends by working with Bishop is a no no. I knew trusting Bishop was gonna bring dire consequences in it did. I'm gonna miss Matt Ryan as John Constantine. He was perfect in that role, DC/HBO Max did him dirty. I hated seeing him die. If only Zari had gotten there a few seconds earlier :(. Now I know why she didn't hear the fight last episode she wasn't in the house. 

Bishop is turning out to be my second favorite villain this season after TalRho. Pretended to be weak when he was anything but. Good writing for him in the end.

On oh boy is Mick dead too? noooo. He went out like a true father in the end :(. He loved those babies and he risked his life to save them too. For one that thought he was a bad father, he turned out to be a rather good one. 

Season finale next week lets see what happens.

• Love 1

Even though this episode was as dark and depressing as last week's episode, it somehow worked in a way that last week's episode didn't. Well written and well acted, especially by Matt Ryan and Lisseth Chavez...

Constantine's death was not unexpected at this point. However, the manner of his death and the fact that he was linked to the Fountain of Imperium at the time makes it hopeful that he can somehow be resurrected in the future (although not necessarily on Legends, but in the DC Universe). The only thing I hated about it was that he was outsmarted by Bishop, of all people! I cannot stand Bishop. Also, Constantine's death scene was literally so dark on my TV screen that I had trouble seeing and appreciating it. The scene was also shot so dark that it was hard to tell that Zari 2.0 made it to John in time to see him die.

Spoiler

If you go to the Spoilers thread, it's been well reported by the media that Matt Ryan will return next season as a completely different character and that Constantine is now gone from Legends. Also, per the promo pics for next week's episode, it looks like Constantine has one last scene with Zari 2.0 (mystical vision? hallucination? ghost?).

What really saved this episode was Spooner's story - to my surprise - since I've found Spooner to be annoying since her debut. But she shined in this episode and her relationship with her mother was really heartwarming. I don't know if Spooner survived the death of the Fountain on Earth, but it's significant that I care about that at this point.

Spoiler

The promo for next week's episode spoils that Spooner survives to appear in the season finale.

So, overall, thumbs up on this episode.

ETA: Oops - almost forgot (that's how overshadowed it was by the rest of the episode) - looks like Mick Rory also died, trying to save one of his offspring. 

Spoiler

Yet the promo for next week's episode shows Mick appearing in the season finale (attending the Avalance wedding).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, tvwatchergordis said:

On oh boy is Mick dead too? noooo. He went out like a true father in the end :(. He loved those babies and he risked his life to save them too. For one that thought he was a bad father, he turned out to be a rather good one. 

He's not truly gone - sure, maybe he'll end up joining Snart/Rip/Stein in the afterlife at the end of his arc, but not like this.  He didn't even save the egg and there's no way a main character goes out a failure.

I have found Spooner to be incredibly irritating, so I was surprised how much I liked her in this episode.  Loved the interaction with her mom and loved that she wanted to do anything to spend more time with her.

Looks like we have possibly lost Mick and Constantine.  I feel like the writers didn't really know what to do with Mick anymore, other than having him be the constant source of grumpiness.

I really hope this is it for Bishop (super annoying) and the alien storylines after the season finale.  I don't need to see Kayla again either.  Take the babies and leave.  Save the special effects budget for actual super powers next season.  I think Nate has steeled up maybe 5 times this season at most?

• Love 1

Well of the many ways that John Constantine would go out, I certainly never would have pegged "joins forces with evil hipster alien to steal magic from alien fungus only to be poisoned by tainted mushroom magic" but here we are. I admit that I was putting off watching this one, as seeing John die after losing his fight against magic addiction and getting manipulated by a loser like Bishop, but I think I am going to wait until next week to really see how I feel about his death. I can at least appreciate that the show has taken this all seriously, and I like that they have given John a darker storyline that I could easily see happening with his comic counterpart, and Matt has absolutely killed it. 

I have found Spooner pretty hit or miss this season, sometimes she's likable and sometimes she felt pointless, but I thought she was really good here, I certainly did not see this backstory coming. She and her mom werent abducted by aliens, they are actually from the 1920s and Spooner was brought to modern times by magical space mushrooms (the sentences this show makes me type) and I guess wiped her memory. I am not sure how well all of this lines up, like I guess Spooner lived so off the grid she never needed an ID for anything which she would have trouble getting is the only records of her existence would be of a little girl living in 1920's Odessa, but its a pretty interesting backstory. It was a good idea to have Astra be the one to get go with, I have really enjoyed their bonding and it even allowed Astra and John to have one more nice moment before he died. 

Of course they got Kayla to come back via space Instagram. I cant imagine that Mick would actually go out like this, but that explosion did sure look bad. 

Bishop is an annoying villain and I am not thrilled that he is not only going to be our big bad to close the season with, but that he was also the one to take out John. John Constatine deserves better than to get taken out by some dime a dozen smug tech bro bad guy. Also, not to harp on this too much, but this is kinda on the legends, especially Sara and Ava, for ever trusting this asshole even a little bit just because of Ava's clone issues. Yes they needed him to save Rory and the babies, but they practically gave him the damn keys after he saved the day, despite still having no reason to think he's trustworthy. 

• Love 5

Great episode, with strong stuff on the Constantine and Spooner fronts.  Matt Ryan was terrific and his arc has gotten more compelling each week.  I don't mind Bishop but also didn't like the fact that he got the better of John.  John deserved much better than that.

Rory's ghost reaction to Constantine was pretty funny.

I've thought since she started that Lisseth Chavez reminded me of Gina Rodriguez. Turns out it's not just a physical resemblance, she's also am awesome actor who can make me feel for her during outlandish emotional situations. Good for her. And mini-Esperanza reminded me a little of Jenna Ortega, so even better. I really did buy into the Astra/Spooner friendship here. I think they might be the best female friendship this show ever had. Astra also had a great scene with John and while I only saw the first few episodes of Constantine, I appreciate the continuity of emphasizing the importance of that relationship. 

If Spooner is a magic girl from another time period, is Nate contractually obligated to date her?