Type keyword(s) to search

Battle On The Beach - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Who else thinks Ty Pennington is living on the beach under a boardwalk? 😆 I’ll be waiting for Alison to tell her team to paint something black. Although I’m with her in wondering why her team picked pipe fittings. And they made candleholders out of them? 🤨 I did think their kitchen was the best. The one that had the paneling left up was in last place, IMO. I thought they were going to paint the paneling to start with, but they just painted it as a last minute thing.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

I did appreciate Ty hating on Alison. I can’t stand her. She loves the Villian  role on renovation shows doesn’t she? Although, her team probably had the best kitchen. The candle holders made from their piping was rather weak though. I’m looking forward to the next show. 

• Love 2

Thought the black cabinet team was best, though I laughed a little bit when they were of course assigned the only Black judge to "balance" things out. Can't take the end result seriously at all knowing how screwed up the appraisal world is. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Who else thinks Ty Pennington is living on the beach under a boardwalk? 😆 

Me.  He lives under it when not sunbathing on top of the boardwalk to bake-in those wrinkles.  He probably takes the occasional shower & change of clothes at Mom's house.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

I couldn't believe the winning team was the one who did those jacked up cabinets with the screws all over the place, in the wrong places.  I guess that's better than the team with the pot filler that was at least a foot too tall, and the range hood that was super high.         None of the flippers have impressed me at all.     I was laughing when the Queen of the overdone Kitchens won, Alison was telegraphed for that.

I wasn't impressed by the work on any of the kitchens, and the ones who put the pot filler too high, and vent hood very high, should have been told to fix that.     I feel sorry for the people who rent those beach houses, (I think they're all for the rental market), and have to live with shoddy work.   I bet whoever bought those for investments had to put a lot into redoing a bunch of the work.  

I hate that Ty yells all of the time.   I'm probably not going to watch this show again.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I did appreciate Ty hating on Alison. I can’t stand her. She loves the Villian  role on renovation shows doesn’t she? Although, her team probably had the best kitchen. The candle holders made from their piping was rather weak though. I’m looking forward to the next show. 

Remember that adorable robot lamp Mike Holmes made from pipes and fittings on “Rock the Block”? That was an inspired use of the material.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I couldn't believe the winning team was the one who did those jacked up cabinets with the screws all over the place, in the wrong places.  I guess that's better than the team with the pot filler that was at least a foot too tall, and the range hood that was super high.         None of the flippers have impressed me at all.     I was laughing when the Queen of the overdone Kitchens won, Alison was telegraphed for that.

I hate that Ty yells all of the time.   I'm probably not going to watch this show again.  

I think they were all yelling on the beach. I know it takes place on a beach but maybe give the task(s) inside. I will say the yelling has been Ty’s schtick. I think I’m so used to it by now that I don’t even realize he’s doing it. LOL!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

I enjoy Rock the Block a lot more than this show.  Don’t believe I’ll be watching the remaining episodes.

I’m going to watch for the snark value. 😏

• LOL 6

I'm finding it hard to believe that the three competing couples are all experienced flippers.  I hated that the ones with all of the wonky screws in the cabinets won this week.    The others who had the pot filler, and vent hood way too high didn't have a clue about redoing a kitchen.     

• Love 3
4 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm finding it hard to believe that the three competing couples are all experienced flippers.  I hated that the ones with all of the wonky screws in the cabinets won this week.    The others who had the pot filler, and vent hood way too high didn't have a clue about redoing a kitchen.     

This. Maybe they’ve renovated their own houses or one other house but they all seem to have no clue in what they are doing.  Why did no one take advantage of the view in the living room? The sofas should be across from each other so you can look out at the view! Design 101 but Tanyia was the only one to acknowledge it.

Ty was a “carpenter”for years on tv…he didn’t know to sand that armoire first? Is he ok? Seems like he’s done some hard living despite being in tv the better part of 20 years. He design skill is non existent here, I feel bad for his team who seems to have no ideas either.  Leaving the gross paneling has cost them any hope of winning.

• Love 7
(edited)
24 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

This. Maybe they’ve renovated their own houses or one other house but they all seem to have no clue in what they are doing.  Why did no one take advantage of the view in the living room? The sofas should be across from each other so you can look out at the view! Design 101 but Tanyia was the only one to acknowledge it.

Ty was a “carpenter”for years on tv…he didn’t know to sand that armoire first? Is he ok? Seems like he’s done some hard living despite being in tv the better part of 20 years. He design skill is non existent here, I feel bad for his team who seems to have no ideas either.  Leaving the gross paneling has cost them any hope of winning.

A carpenter would have known those stair rails were unstable. 😬 Whenever I saw Ty in the house, my first thought was they need to keep that homeless guy out! 😏 That paneling is awful. Shouldn’t they have sanded it before whitewashing? I know nothing about home painting.
Mike was right about those horizontal wires on the stair railings. I did like how they moved the stair landing. 
Unfortunately, my fave team is Alison’s! I really like the couple. 
I loathe electric fireplaces.

5 minutes ago, Grrarrggh said:

I can't help but laugh loud and raucously whenever any of these teams say their doing something unique or upscale. Seriously?! 

Yeah, a plastic planter with twine halfway around as a light fixture is really upscale, as is a paint splashed drop cloth hanging on the wall.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

I've painted paneling (it was real wood), with two coats of primer, and then two coats of paint, and it was very nice.   However, since they're at the beach, I bet the primer and paint would take a long time to dry, even with the air conditioning going full blast.    Maybe the primer and paint combination paint would work on the paneling?       I'm not finding the work that any of the flippers are doing to be adequate.     I wonder about the security of the installation on the winning kitchen's cabinets, since Mike Holmes said the screws were in the wrong places.      I'm not watching any more episodes to see if it gets better.     That 'expensive looking' light fixture was hideous. 

• Love 2

I liked a little from each house. The moving of the staircase & fireplace and mantel. The wheel chandelier while not anything new (actually it’s dated) turned out nice and the unsafe wire railing. Talk about a owners/renters nightmare. All in all, I think the right team one. I’m sure a real fireplace would be great but they only have so much time. The mantle and facade were beautiful. There were a few things I would buy from Wayfair after viewing the episode but their site is horrible and not very intuitive. That’s why I like Amazon. It’s so (stupid) user friendly. LOL!!!!

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, ByaNose said:

The wheel chandelier while not anything new (actually it’s dated) turned out nice and the unsafe wire railing. 

From all angles the wheel looked like it was hanging with a tilt. Amatuerish.

I know what you mean by Wayfair, Byanose.  I find something that looks like what I'm aiming for and look at all the suggested similars and will save the closest for later comparison because it is not exactly what I want.  A few days later I'll search with the same or similar terms and will find exactly what I'm looking for in my favourite colour.  I have no idea why it didn't "find" it the first time since the reviews indicate that they've been selling it for months.

Edited by deirdra
19 hours ago, deirdra said:

From all angles the wheel looked like it was hanging with a tilt. Amatuerish.

I know what you mean by Wayfair, Byanose.  I find something that looks like what I'm aiming for and look at all the suggested similars and will save the closest for later comparison because it is not exactly what I want.  A few days later I'll search with the same or similar terms and will find exactly what I'm looking for in my favourite colour.  I have no idea why it didn't "find" it the first time since the reviews indicate that they've been selling it for months.

Maybe they're trying to push to towards certain items re: price or availability? 

• Love 1

Team Alison really effed up that feature wall with that messy paint job. Also, I would hate to have to dust that wall. Points to the wife for saying they would get a colorful rug to tie the room together. The Dude abides. 😏
I hated Team Homeless Guy’s bamboo ceiling. It looked cheap.

• Love 4

I didn’t really like any of the bedrooms this week. Also, how could freshly painted walls look so ugly. It looked like it had been done years and lost its luster from beach erosion but they were just painted a a few hours ago. That said, the bonus rooms all turned out pretty which is because they were done professionals.

Also, I now have to admit it. Ty does YELL. I blamed him talking over the ocean but the truth he yells.all.the.time. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I hated Team Homeless Guy’s bamboo ceiling. It looked cheap.

It will be interesting to hear what the pros say when they come in to appraise the houses. I think that bamboo ceiling would lower the value of that house. Not only was it poorly executed, it didn't fit in with the locale. C'mon, Team Homeless Guy... you're in Alabama, not the South Pacific. 

I've stayed in condos at Gulf Shores and they all seemed to be "rustic-beachy" with beams and a lot of wood. 

• Love 6

I am nor a fan of Alyson so I'm surprised to fin myself rooting for her team.  I like the couple very much.

The team I do not like is definitely Ty's.  God he has such a big mouth.  In the kitchen they made open shelving when they didn't have that option and after that they were dead to me.  Plus she's so mean to her husband!  I loved when he called her a bird.  lol

I liked the blonde couple's living room so much.  That fireplace was great.

Mike makes me laugh the way he notices everything!  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, ByaNose said:

Also, I now have to admit it. Ty does YELL. I blamed him talking over the ocean but the truth he yells.all.the.time. 

I used to enjoy Ty on Trading Spaces long ago. Not anymore. Wow, is he loud, and worn looking. The kind of guy I would expect to see in an old bar in Florida sitting at the end of the bar all day, smoking and drinking his life away , talking about the good old days.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MsJamieDornan said:

I used to enjoy Ty on Trading Spaces long ago. Not anymore. Wow, is he loud, and worn looking. They kind of guy I would expect to see in an old bar in Florida sitting at the end of the bar all day, smoking and drinking his life away , talking about the good old days.

Well, close your eyes. I saw this on his Instagram. Not bad for 56. That said, on the show he needs to cut his hair. I think the beach bum look is his shtick…..I think. LOL!!!!!

E0E2260D-974D-4448-ADEE-8E492509E284.jpeg

A4A330F7-5821-4837-8524-4497FB54781F.jpeg

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Well, close your eyes. I saw this on his Instagram. Not bad for 56. That said, on the show he needs to cut his hair. I think the beach bum look is his shtick…..I think. LOL!!!!!

E0E2260D-974D-4448-ADEE-8E492509E284.jpeg

A4A330F7-5821-4837-8524-4497FB54781F.jpeg

🤭🤢 I need to look at some pics of Olympic divers in Speedos to get that first image out of my head!

• LOL 7
(edited)

All these block competitions are filler fun, like while scrolling on your i phone.  I have ceased to take any of them seriously anymore.  Everyone wins something, regardless of how poor or well they do.  

That floormat/privacy wove material on the ceiling was just gross.  After owning rentals, I look at everything to be as simple and easy to clean and replace as possible.  IKEA rocks.   :)

Edited by Pine
forgot a few words....
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 7/18/2021 at 6:33 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought they were new flippers. They seem like new flippers. 

I’m enjoying this show, but I like Rock the Block better. Maybe because the teams were made up of HGTV personalities that I know. I’m slowly getting to know these teams, but I’m not very invested in any of them. 

• Love 4

I’m glad Darryl and Sunjay won. I like them. I think their light, bright bathrooms were more suitable for a beach house. Too bad they and another couple picked slippery tiles. 😬 

I know jack about woodwork, but I do have the sense to realize that wood that is going to be used for a bathroom countertop needs to be sealed! 🤦‍♀️ And what’s with Team Homeless Guy putting dirt trapping material on the ceiling again? BTW, they shouldn’t have been allowed to use the bonus bedroom time to finish their bathrooms. That wasn’t fair to the other teams who had finished theirs in the originally allotted time. 
Um, Ty, don’t joke about going to the bathroom outside since some of us already think you do. 😏

• Love 7
2 hours ago, windsprints said:

Along with trapping dirt jute can get moldly/mildew in high humidity. 

Not only that, but it was installed so sloppy.

None of those bathrooms were really outstanding in my opinion, but I liked the one with the single mirror the best. That could have been fixed easily with two smaller mirrors.

I loved the bedroom with the paneling and the "rope" bed. I'd have given them the win despite the room not having a closet. A nice clothes rack would have solved that for a beach rental property. It's a shame they didn't install one instead of the dresser.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CruiseDiva said:

I loved the bedroom with the paneling and the "rope" bed. I'd have given them the win despite the room not having a closet. A nice clothes rack would have solved that for a beach rental property. It's a shame they didn't install one instead of the dresser.

I liked that room too. I think for it to legally be considered a bedroom a closet is required. So the value of another bedroom wasn't added like it was in the other houses.

• Love 1

You can't call yourself a professional designer/flipper if you have slippery bathroom floors and vanities that are unsealed wood. Then again, IMO, you can't call yourself a pro if every single "design" looks like everyone else's no matter where you are either, so..... 

I was shocked no one else used bunk or loft beds. Which is another reason why programmes like this that claim to judge by "value" are BS. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, windsprints said:

I liked that room too. I think for it to legally be considered a bedroom a closet is required. So the value of another bedroom wasn't added like it was in the other houses.

Yes, a legal bedroom requires an egress window, and a closet.   Even a basement bedroom requires an egress window.  However, I've seen a lot of non-conforming bedrooms on the real estate and flipping shows. 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

I didn’t like Ty’s dark tile bathroom. Too dark for my taste. 

It looked like it belonged in a battleship.  The "designers" like to put vessel/porcelain sinks on top of normal-height counters.  I don't know how kids or short people manage to use them without a step stool.  The faucets barely cleared the tall bowls on top of that dried out, unsealed chopping block of a vanity.

• Love 4

That reclaimed wood vanity was a piece of crap.  I kept picturing splinters galore... patooey!

I call BS on Mina and Mike being late and allowing beach bum's couple to finish the bathrooms.  I'm so glad they didn't win.  They should not allowed them to finish them.

This show sucks.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

You can't call yourself a professional designer/flipper if you have slippery bathroom floors and vanities that are unsealed wood. Then again, IMO, you can't call yourself a pro if every single "design" looks like everyone else's no matter where you are either, so..... 

I was shocked no one else used bunk or loft beds. Which is another reason why programmes like this that claim to judge by "value" are BS. 

Darryl and Sunjay had a loft bed.

2 hours ago, ByaNose said:

I didn’t like Ty’s dark tile bathroom. Too dark for my taste. I hate to say it but Alison did have the nicest bathrooms. 

Wouldn’t dark tiles like that really show soap scum? 

• Love 5

None of the rooms impressed me.
In a rental home I want a place that looks clean and while I can think something looks pretty cleanliness and safety tops other considerations. The wood countertops would have just made me shake my head and wonder how germy and grungy they were. That most of them used floors that weren’t non slip was bizarre.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Shelbie said:

That most of them used floors that weren’t non slip was bizarre.

They were probably using cheaper, thinner tiles intended for shower walls.  The cost of redoing the floor should be deducted from the final valuation of the cottage or any prizes they may win.

• Love 1

What happens to these houses at the end of the show?  Does HGTV turn them over with Holmes suggestions fixed?  Slippery bathroom floors, unsealed countertops and wobbly railings are a recipe for a lawsuit.  Will they have the teams actually fix these problems or sell them as is?

I would guess they used slick tiles to save on budget, but they could've saved money by not tiling with dark tiles and gone with bigger tiles.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, scenicbyway said:

What happens to these houses at the end of the show?  Does HGTV turn them over with Holmes suggestions fixed?  Slippery bathroom floors, unsealed countertops and wobbly railings are a recipe for a lawsuit.  Will they have the teams actually fix these problems or sell them as is?

They could try to sell them as is, but any buyer with a home inspector would require them to fix these things or knock down the price.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, deirdra said:

They could try to sell them as is, but any buyer with a home inspector would require them to fix these things or knock down the price.

I’m assuming these houses have already sold since this filmed a while ago, right? I would hope things would be fixed since HGTV’s name is associated with it but some people sell homes “As Is” all the time. That said, I would think they would go the normal route and have to pass inspection before being sold. I’m curious to see how much the houses are assessed for at the end. Some of the changes were well done and others were questionable.  

• Love 1

I hate the way they cater to Ty's team.  I haven't been a fan since Episode 1 when they skirted the rules and did open shelving.  Then they didn't finish their bathrooms but a surprise "delay"  of Mina allow them to finish.  I still call BS on that.

I didn't like their room.   The bed was way too high.

Sandbox?  Um...no..definitely not.  I did summers in a beach house as a teen and early 20's.  Sand on the floor..it never ever goes away no matter how much you sweep or vacuum.

I knew Mike would ding Alison's team for that bookcase.  I did like their room best though.

I hate that I'e been liking Alison while watching this show.

• Love 8

Team Homeless Guy’s room did not look like a “kid’s room.” There was nothing playful about it. No guardrail on that super high bunk bed was a big no-no. Neither Mike nor Mina mentioned that the walls looked haphazardly painted in places. I agree that they have been getting so many breaks.

Team Nashville could have won except for that stupid sandbox. That idiot should have listened to her husband and Taniya. The “wharf beds” and the boat bed were really creative and whimsical.

Team Alison’s room was fun too. Wrong team won tonight.

• Love 4

If they had done a trundle bed instead of the dumb sandbox they would’ve won. Nothing about Ty’s team’s room was a kid’s room.  No railing on the bed? They’d be seriously injured no mattered what the age if they fell. His team was the only one that hadnt outright won a week though so they had to make it look like they were in the running.  Painting the beach house black is going to knock them out anyway.

• Love 6