Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E28: On the Shoulders of Giants

druzy
  • Start Topic

Ashley and Bar grapple racist backlash. Kloie’s behavior wedges a divide between Jade and Sean. Briana travels for surgery, but returns to something shocking. Leah meets her doctor in hopes of getting answers about the lump on her breast.

Airs July 6, 2021

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Quilty said:

Will someone PLEASE play with Kloie? She needs to be enrolled in a preschool/daycare program. Maybe she not because of covid ?

Kloie is going through that normal “No!” phase but her dumbass parents don’t know how to deal with that. It’s frustrating, I know, and I feel for them because they don’t have, and have not been taught, the tools. They’re trying. I feel for them, although I think had the cameras not been there it would’ve been dealt with very differently. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 10

Is there anybody in that family that's NICE to Kloie?  All she sees around her is fighting, swearing, sour expressions, yelling, etc.  Even when Jade was trying to be patient with her making the bath bombs she had that sour puss on.  I just feel so bad for that little girl.  Is it any wonder she's acting out?  And not even acting out badly, just acting out in the usual 3-yr-old way.

• Love 9
(edited)

Of course Kloie wanted to use the bath bombs right away.  She's threenager!  (Rhymes with "teenager").  

Sadly, some of that scene reminded me of my hubby and I disagreeing over parenting methods.  Neither of us has come close to hitting our child, but hubby has his way and I have mine.  And neither of us like to be contradicted.  We're much better now at presenting a unified front.  But back in the day...oy!  

Also, we weren't on national television!  Sean, if you are that concerned of how you look on TV, don't be on the show!!!!!

And it seems like Kloie is potty training and wearing pullups.  But why did Jade send her into the bathroom by herself to go potty?  We always had to make sure our daughter did her business by going into the bathroom with her.  

Edited by Marisagf
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Quilty said:

Will someone PLEASE play with Kloie? She needs to be enrolled in a preschool/daycare program. Maybe she not because of covid ?

It doesn’t take an expert to understand the problem there.  She’s either half dressed or in pajamas which makes me think that she never goes out.   She has no schedule.  She definitely has the saddest life out of all these kids.  

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Bluesky said:

It doesn’t take an expert to understand the problem there.  She’s either half dressed or in pajamas which makes me think that she never goes out.   She has no schedule.  She definitely has the saddest life out of all these kids.  

This poor child is surrounded with chaos, dysfunction, physical and verbal fighting and foul language. To me, it calls for some kind of intervention or at the very least family counseling and parenting classes. Sean has no patience and goes from 1-10 on an anger chart very quickly...he scares me and it is classic abusive behavior. Jade never really engages with Kloie...I never see her reading to her, playing with her or taking her places. She just sits in her Lazy Boy ensconced in a blanket whining about everyone and everything. That child needs attention and two parents that aren't so self involved and angry all the time. Kloie would be best served to be in a good preschool. She would thrive in a play/school environment and learn how to socialize with other kids. Sitting around the house with Sean all day is just horrible for her. Doesn't Jade see that? She can afford preschool if she can afford to fly herself and her wretched family down to Florida for a week and get expensive cosmetic surgery that she didn't even need. Prioritizing her child doesn't seem to be important to her but getting a boob job and butt lift are.

• Love 5
(edited)

Why wouldn't Kloie think that is how you behave when you're unhappy about something?  It's exactly what the adults in her life are modeling.  Except developmentally it's something you would expect of a child her age-until you teach them better coping skills, which isn't happening.  Imagine her frustration, she has no idea how to handle her emotions and gets screamed at when she does what she's being shown to do. 

Also, is Sean living there again?  You know, to help with Kloie....

Did I hear Dr. Miami correctly when he said to Brianna, after she said she didn't want to go too big, 'we'll negotiate that later'?  Or something along those lines?  From that whole conversation it seemed at some point he had been pressuring her into going bigger than she wanted.  This really bugged me.  Those are her boobs that she has to live with, they are not just a picture for your portfolio and advertisements for your practice.  She says what SHE wants and you shut up. 

Edited by eskimo
  • Love 16
13 minutes ago, eskimo said:

Did I hear Dr. Miami correctly when he said to Brianna, after she said she didn't want to go too big, 'we'll negotiate that later'?  Or something along those lines?  From that whole conversation it seemed at some point he had been pressuring her into going bigger than she wanted.  This really bugged me.  Those are her boobs that she has to live with, they are not just a picture for your portfolio and advertisements for your practice.  She says what SHE wants and you shut up. 

I keep hearing that kind of thing from plastic surgeons on TV - they somehow think they get to decide what size a woman gets regardless of her wishes. It's like they cannot understand why a woman wouldn't want huge boobs. I would shut that right down and make it clear that the size I choose is the size I'm going to get or there will be trouble.  I have naturally large boobs and it always mystifies me why anyone would choose this because going smaller has always been my dream. Smaller is easier and clothes fit so much better IMO so it really really bugs me when male plastic surgeons get all possessive over the size of their patients boobs. Arrogant sexist assholes.

Parents use the methods and tools they have been shown by their own parents and Jade and Sean simply have not been raised well themselves. Jade knows she wants more and better and tries but she is so lacking in tools. She needs parenting classes. Sean does too but he seems too immature to benefit from it too much at this time. He just blows up and yells when challenged, like that is his only way of coping with adversity or criticism or a challenge. He just shuts it all down and starts attacking. He needs way more than parenting classes to overcome that problem.

I know Leah drives us crazy but she is a good mom and is seriously doing everything she can think of to be a good mom. When she goes into extreme explanation as to why she is being so cautious about covid I feel for her. She lives in an area where she can get real pushback from covid deniers and minimizers, probably even among her own family and friends group, and she seems to need to explain herself an awful lot to counteract the kind of hostility and pushback she may be getting from those quarters.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, eskimo said:

I've had longer conversations with my hairdresser than these two had about changing her body permanently. Hopefully, they had a conversation before the surgery that went into more detail.

Something tells me Dr. Miami isn't his real name.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SuzWhat said:

I admit to really skimming through this episode.  Can anyone tell me what the title means to the episode, please?

I wasn't really paying attention but it occurred in a conversation about racism and discrimination between Bar and Ashley.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I keep hearing that kind of thing from plastic surgeons on TV - they somehow think they get to decide what size a woman gets regardless of her wishes. It's like they cannot understand why a woman wouldn't want huge boobs. I would shut that right down and make it clear that the size I choose is the size I'm going to get or there will be trouble.  I have naturally large boobs and it always mystifies me why anyone would choose this because going smaller has always been my dream. Smaller is easier and clothes fit so much better IMO so it really really bugs me when male plastic surgeons get all possessive over the size of their patients boobs. Arrogant sexist assholes.

Parents use the methods and tools they have been shown by their own parents and Jade and Sean simply have not been raised well themselves. Jade knows she wants more and better and tries but she is so lacking in tools. She needs parenting classes. Sean does too but he seems too immature to benefit from it too much at this time. He just blows up and yells when challenged, like that is his only way of coping with adversity or criticism or a challenge. He just shuts it all down and starts attacking. He needs way more than parenting classes to overcome that problem.

I know Leah drives us crazy but she is a good mom and is seriously doing everything she can think of to be a good mom. When she goes into extreme explanation as to why she is being so cautious about covid I feel for her. She lives in an area where she can get real pushback from covid deniers and minimizers, probably even among her own family and friends group, and she seems to need to explain herself an awful lot to counteract the kind of hostility and pushback she may be getting from those quarters.

I had a breast reduction several years ago and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.  I'm no longer self-conscious, my clothes fit better and it was a literal weight off my back.  I, too, struggle to understand why plastic surgeons on reality shows push for larger breasts than their patients want.  Is it because the patients in question aren't actually paying for their surgeries? I get the feeling that many of these doctors are providing free surgeries in exchange for the publicity they'll receive by being on these shows.

• Love 9

Leah is one of those people who is so dumb she has no idea how dumb she is. All three of her girls have figured this out and developed coping strategies. Aleeah appears to zone out and go to a happy place in her mind where she counts the days until college somewhere like Pepperdine or the University of Kathmandu. Ali plays sweet and uses her exterior compliance to get away with being actually just as bratty as her sisters (none of them are terrible, just normal bratty sometimes). Addie runs all over Leah like a holler hellion, which makes for good TV, but if I saw her coming into a restaurant I’d ask for the check immediately. 

Leah has literally never said anything new, insightful, or interesting about any of her pet topics, unless it was “new” due to being incorrect. I wonder if she would be happier if she could come to terms with her limitations, or if the delusion that she is Brené Brown for the Narcan crowd is what keeps her going. 

• Love 12
On 7/7/2021 at 11:06 PM, BrownBear2012 said:

Jade never really engages with Kloie...I never see her reading to her, playing with her or taking her places. She just sits in her Lazy Boy ensconced in a blanket whining about everyone and everything.

To be fair, sitting in a La-Z-Boy ensconced in a blanket whining about everyone and everything is pretty much her job description.  I think she does engage with the kid and it's either when the cameras aren't there or maybe they do record it and choose not to show it because it doesn't advance the narrative.

Like Leah and her Ted Talks--I'm positive she does other things with the girlses, but that's not what we see.  But speaking of Leah, I didn't watch this episode (it took being in a house literally without a TV--ha!) but I read the description above--what was the upshot of Leah's visit with her doctor? 

• Love 4
On 7/9/2021 at 7:47 AM, SuzWhat said:

I admit to really skimming through this episode.  Can anyone tell me what the title means to the episode, please?

If I recall correctly, it is a reference to Ashley saying she would let her daughter know she is standing on the shoulders of her grandparents.

• Useful 1
On 7/10/2021 at 10:11 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

To be fair, sitting in a La-Z-Boy ensconced in a blanket whining about everyone and everything is pretty much her job description.  I think she does engage with the kid and it's either when the cameras aren't there or maybe they do record it and choose not to show it because it doesn't advance the narrative.

Like Leah and her Ted Talks--I'm positive she does other things with the girlses, but that's not what we see.  But speaking of Leah, I didn't watch this episode (it took being in a house literally without a TV--ha!) but I read the description above--what was the upshot of Leah's visit with her doctor? 

Sometimes at the end of the show they show clips of the kids and parents set to the ending music. We’ll usually get a clip of kids playing with parents, or a depressed Amber Portwood, but Kloie is laying around in diaper and shirt watching tv. I guess they could’ve shown her making bath bombs but it was part of the storyline.

• Love 2
On 7/11/2021 at 11:53 AM, Snarky McSnarky said:

If I recall correctly, it is a reference to Ashley saying she would let her daughter know she is standing on the shoulders of her grandparents.

Thank you. I FF through her segments. 

On 7/9/2021 at 1:47 PM, A-Lo said:

I wasn't really paying attention but it occurred in a conversation about racism and discrimination between Bar and Ashley.

Thank you. That makes sense. I could not envision a Kail scenario where it applied. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

The only addition I would make is that I don't think it was just the grandparents Ashley was referencing but all those who had gone before. And it wasn't just standard 'let's fit current political climate and racism into the black girl's segment'that I would expect from Teen Mom. It was intensely personal to this couple. In that conversation both Ashley and Bar were commenting on how they were raised differently by their parents and it had an effect on them. Ashley's mom did everything she could to have Ashley attend schools in white areas because she wanted the best for her and so Ashley was often the only or almost only black girl around school. Bar is biracial and so was not treated 'black' by the kids at his school and always felt like he didn't fit in. It's complicated. So now they are getting vile messages on social media (Ashley even has someone who said he wanted to rape her!) and they are even including Holly in their hateful posts. Hence the discussion. I thought it was a great discussion and far from the usual Teen Mom blather and melodramatic nonsense most of the 'girls' come up with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5