Type keyword(s) to search

Canoeing, Rowing, Sailing - Boat Stuff

• Start Topic

(edited)

OMG if I never hear the word “repechage” again it will be too soon. I had the rowing heats on today while I worked from home. If I had a shot for every time it was said I’d have a one day case of cirrhosis. 

Edited by Quickbeam
Typo
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
Just now, Quickbeam said:

OMG if I never hear the word “repechage” again it will be too soon. I had the the rowing heats on today while I worked from home. If I had a shot for every time it was said I’d have a one day case of cirrhosis. 

announcers are obsessed with this word, I swear. (but i love it it's very Olympian lol). 

Canada did horrendous boating in Rio (and rightfully took a lot of flack for it considering they got a tonne of funding), so it will be really interesting to see how they perform in Tokyo

• Love 1
1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Phenomenal day for the Dutch rowers today, a bronze, two silvers, and a gold!

well they have to do something when the Canals aren't frozen ;)

Seriously, congrats to the dutch!

• LOL 3
14 hours ago, Daisy said:

geeze. Canada is dead last. I think they forgot to row. lol

Apparently even reaching the finals was an accomplishment.  So good for them for that achievement.  But watching the final was kind of depressing.

Didn't Canada used to be pretty good at rowing events?

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Trey said:

Apparently even reaching the finals was an accomplishment.  So good for them for that achievement.  But watching the final was kind of depressing.

Didn't Canada used to be pretty good at rowing events?

Yeah - I mean it's a testament on how great the field is (which is fantastic), but in Rio we only won 1 medal, and people were pissed off because Rowing Canada got a butt tonne of money from CoC + Own the Podium (or whatever they are calling it now) because that's our thing. So if we don't come home with a few medals in the regatta again, I'd have to imagine there will have to be a tonne more changes because once you can argue  "Bad Olympics" twice it's a thing. 

• Love 2

Croatia is just going zoom. 
Canada is off the pace right now. GO FASTER. 

Gosh. off the pace.... that was nice, they are sixth now.
okay they are moving up to 4th. Come on guys. Make a move. row

(edited)

YES! Come on. push Row boys. ROW BOYS. ROW ROWWWW. 
darn it. 4th. They were behind too much. that was a great push at the end. Good job boys. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Bronze medal in women's pair!

That CBC didn't show live on TV. Oops.

LOL
well... yay! (they are going to show it now). 

let's see how it was done. 

12 hours ago, Daisy said:

That was a fantastic race Wooo. way to go girls. 

Great race! I'm glad they went out to lead for most of the race.

And the men weren't bad either, at least they were in the race.

So many 4th spots for Canadian athletes. 

China just went zoom. Canada started well. okay, let's goooo. Row, Row, Row. 
Canada's nose is in front, so we caught up to China's zoom. NZ is nipping on their heels. 

First 500: Canada: WOO
Okay stroke. stroke. stroke. 
Australia is making a move. 
Row. ROW. ROW. Let's GOOO. Nice long rows. let's go

1000: Canada! Let's gooo. Australia caught up from NZ 
COME ON. Let's goo. Long Legs. NZ is starting to make their move. Squash those KIWIS CANUCKS. Come on. STROKE. STROKE. 

1500: CANADA ! 1:30 behind is NZ
STROKE. GOOO. GOOO.  China is Lifting, NZ is Lifting. Come on Canada. GOO. GOOOO. GOOOOO. 

Come on! Lets GOO!  
CANADA! YES!!!! Way to go Ladies!!!!

Wow. the USA is off the podium completely.  didn't see that but China was crazy fast.

lol at Canada's cox. 

1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Champagne bottles popping at Rowing Canada.

still have Canoes and Kayaks but having a Gold Medal in the eights is a big relief for them I bet. 

• Love 3

Wow, the women continue to carry Canada in these Olympics so far.! That one was a bit unexpected though , wasn't it? Deserved though, awesome to see them go wire to wire like that.

19 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

Wow, the women continue to carry Canada in these Olympics so far.! That one was a bit unexpected though , wasn't it? Deserved though, awesome to see them go wire to wire like that.

It's not unexpected. a lot of the things that the women are good at are week one. a lot of the men's strengths are week two :) The boys are comin! 

I have to say i love all these rowing nicknames. One of them is named Xena: Warrior Princess. I always forget the Cox is usually so tiny. lol

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

It's not unexpected. a lot of the things that the women are good at are week one. a lot of the men's strengths are week two :) The boys are comin! 

I have to say i love all these rowing nicknames. One of them is named Xena: Warrior Princess. I always forget the Cox is usually so tiny. lol

Ha, I was actually talking about this race in particular! From what I had read beforehand the Americans and Kiwis were supposed to battle for the gold, while the Canadians were thought to be more in the mix for bronze.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

Ha, I was actually talking about this race in particular! From what I had read beforehand the Americans and Kiwis were supposed to battle for the gold, while the Canadians were thought to be more in the mix for bronze.

ah I meant LOL it's not unexpected that the men haven't medaled yet. but yeah the gold battle was probably Kiwis and Yanks

• Love 1

Very disappointing rowing competition for Great Britain. We've been the medal leaders at each of the last three Olympics, but didn't get a single gold here, with only one silver and one bronze. Lots of fourth place finishes and a colossal cock up in the Men's 4, an event that Britain has won at every games since Sydney.

Lots of questions to be asked, and probably a very real fear of funding being slashed.

• Love 1

Have to give a shout-out to our Kiwi neighbours across the ditch for their gold medal in the men's eight.  We Aussies like to think we punch above our weight when it comes to the Olympics but we have a population fives times that of NZ and we don't usually win five times more medals.  I was very happy to cheer them over the line! 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, katisha said:

Have to give a shout-out to our Kiwi neighbours across the ditch for their gold medal in the men's eight.  We Aussies like to think we punch above our weight when it comes to the Olympics but we have a population fives times that of NZ and we don't usually win five times more medals.  I was very happy to cheer them over the line! 

I was thrilled for them and for Emma Twigg.

And I'm glad as hell that CNBC showed as much of the rowing/sculling as they did.  NBC pretty much only cares if Americans win in rowing.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

NBC pretty much only cares if Americans win in rowing.

I haven't been able to watch much of the rowing because of work (don't you hate that, when your actual life interferes with your Olympic viewing!) but after what I've read in this thread about the US performance, NBC must be seriously bummed

8 minutes ago, katisha said:

I haven't been able to watch much of the rowing because of work (don't you hate that, when your actual life interferes with your Olympic viewing!) but after what I've read in this thread about the US performance, NBC must be seriously bummed

I've had to record most of it, but I've watched it while NBC is showing sports I don't like.  Yeah, the US had a terrible performance in rowing this time.  But I've enjoyed rooting for Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Canadians, Dutch, Germans, and the Greek guy who won the men's singles sculling.  To be fair, I tend to root against the US in most sports anyway, especially if NBC has been hyping them to the heavens, but the mix has really been fun.

• Love 4
(edited)

Best rowing event at the Olympics ever for the Dutch team, we never had won more than 3 medals at the Olympics before and this Olympics we won 5!

Eta. Things are going well for us in sailing as well, there are several boats in medal contention. 

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 2

I'm surprised this was the first year for women's C-1.  I thought the events were supposed to be equal with the mens events.

I missed the final but it was great seeing two Canadians going through to the final.

Congrats to Laurence Vincent Lapointe on winning silver.

Edited by Trey