Type keyword(s) to search

Canoeing, Rowing, Sailing - Boat Stuff

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Rickster said:

Here’s a question I had after watching an interview with Nevin Harrison:

Unlike kayakers and scullers, canoers only paddle on one side of the boat. Why don’t they go in circles?

I, too, have had this question. I attempted to Google an answer, but can't figure out how to phrase it without just getting results about recreational canoeing that don't answer my question. So, I still have no idea.

Maybe they use the angle of the paddle in alternating strokes - like / then \?  Or they are just that good.   My one and only canoe trip was miserable because I spent most of it unsuccessfully ducking tree limbs.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, redpencil said:

I, too, have had this question. I attempted to Google an answer, but can't figure out how to phrase it without just getting results about recreational canoeing that don't answer my question. So, I still have no idea.

Actually, they gave a vague explanation during last night’s coverage. I think the expert commentator said it was a combination of body lean and the way they shape the paddle stroke. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 8/5/2021 at 3:01 PM, Rickster said:

Unlike kayakers and scullers, canoers only paddle on one side of the boat. Why don’t they go in circles?

If there are two canoeing, each one rows on a different side. When you canoe alone, you keep changing sides after a few paddles. It’s quite the workout! 

Edited by ferjy
16 hours ago, Rickster said:

Actually, they gave a vague explanation during last night’s coverage. I think the expert commentator said it was a combination of body lean and the way they shape the paddle stroke. 

Wikipedia says they use a "J stroke."  From YouTube, it looks like you start a normal paddle but then twist the paddle about half way through which I guess keeps the canoe in a straight line.

• Useful 3

On 8/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Rickster said:

I had the same question actually, and after some quick Googling the answer seems to be that they have a specific way of paddling that allows them to stay straight while paddling on just one side.

• Useful 1