Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I just got back from a historical society meeting and I need to straighten up the house in anticipation of a visit from the cable repair person tomorrow afternoon, so I'm having a quick dinner:  a meat loaf sandwich and the last of the ice cream (Bride's Cake flavor).

• Love 1

I had chicken and andouille gumbo followed by beef cheeks and baby roasted root vegetables. It was advertised as tender but my dull knife wouldn't cut thru the meat or the Brussels sprouts. I told the server and she just said "Fine, I'll bring you the check". Ah well. Live and learn. 

• Love 1

Bride's Cake is Blue Bell's newest limited-time-only flavor.  (I think it's supposed to be a companion to their Groom's Cake flavor, which I don't care for much).  Bride's Cake is almond ice cream with pieces of white cake and a swirl of amaretto cream cheese frosting.  It's pretty tasty.

• Love 3
(edited)

It has been A Day, it's already almost 10:30, I've had roasted broccoli as the day's sole food consumption, I'm hungry and in no mood to cook, so what's for dinner is pizza, made by someone else.  Wheat crust (thin) with spicy olive oil base, topped with chicken, goat cheese, caramelized onions, and arugula.  I'm counting the arugula as my salad, since I don't feel like making - or paying for - a side salad (I eat a mixed-greens salad of some sort with almost everything).  This restaurant does a great fried calamari appetizer that actually travels well, but I talked myself out of a fried appetizer just a couple of hours before bed (I know, like a late-night pizza isn't bad enough).  Now I'm anxiously awaiting delivery.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I'm knocking off work early today to bring my son over to a mid-afternoon appointment at the orthodontist. This is the initial visit to see what's up and what will need to be done. (So long money!)  

So I'll have plenty of time to cook dinner. I'm thinking I might make the BBQ meatloaf I reported above. Either that or maybe some pizza on the grill. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Foot Fit for a Man in a Brooks Brothers Suit

Is that chapter a tribute to our "Tastes Like Feet" thread?

I'm hoping the bruschetta topping I put together on Wednesday is still edible tonight but I'm not entirely optimistic.

Edited to add that I prepared the bread by putting my usual pizza dough recipe into my George Foreman grill.  It didn't get as crispy as I like but I don't know if it was not hot enough, not cooked long enough or just that I was trying to make a crispy crust in a Foreman grill.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 1

My sister in law made Thai sausage last month and gave me 5 pounds. We're having some of that grilled, chicken satay, papaya salad with salted crab, sticky rice.

20 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

I had kind of an odd dinner.  The very last of the ice cream and some homemade from scratch onion rings from a local chicken place.  

I'm going to make onion rings tomorrow-going to try a different method. Ice water and batter instead of bread crumbs and buttermilk. I'm on a quest to perfect my onion ring recipe. I got some burgers to grill out and I'll make some Brussels sprouts to go along as well. 

Tonight I made a taco pizza with a yummy mayo/milk/cilantro/lime sauce drizzle as well as spinach artichoke dip. 

For Mother's Day I decided to invite my in laws over. This avoids a trip to their house. I'd prefer stay home for Mother's Day. My own mother forgot it was Mother's Day and made church plans so I won't see her on Sunday. Originally I was going to invite her and my dad over. My middle kid has a soccer game from 3-5 but we are going to skip it. I picked up some steaks to grill out on Sunday as well as shrimp. I'll also sauté some mushrooms and onion and make a broccoli casserole. Last year my husband made me a yummy Italian potato salad for Mother's Day so I'll make that agAin this year as well. For desert I got my favorite-ice cream cake!!! 

As a disclaimer- I love to cook so it doesn't bother me to spend Mother's Day in the kitchen cooking my favorite foods. I will definitely be sleeping in and having my husband change all poopy diapers ;)

• Love 3

Grilled salmon (marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, and dill), baked potato, and Ina Garten's watermelon, feta, and arugula salad (leftovers that I had taken to a luncheon today).

• Love 2

Today was an even worse day than yesterday, and somehow that made me crave steak, even though that's what we're having for Mother's Day dinner and I don't normally eat that much red meat in three months, never mind three days.  So I picked up a rib-eye on the way home and will grill that and roast some Brussels sprouts.  But, for now - Maker's Mark on the rocks. 

• Love 8

Ummmm, steak!  

I had commencement this morning (marching as a member of faculty), picked up lunch at Wendy's (their '4 for $4' deal) and worked in the yard most of the afternoon.   So dinner is the very last of the meatloaf I made earlier in the week made into a simple sandwich (bread, meat and mayo), some Wavy Lay's chips and a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll for dessert.  High fat, high calorie--but tasty.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Ummmm, steak!  

I had commencement this morning (marching as a member of faculty), picked up lunch at Wendy's (their '4 for $4' deal) and worked in the yard most of the afternoon.   So dinner is the very last of the meatloaf I made earlier in the week made into a simple sandwich (bread, meat and mayo), some Wavy Lay's chips and a Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll for dessert.  High fat, high calorie--but tasty.

With your marching & yard work it sounds like you burned a lot of calories today.  You deserve the tasty high calorie treats today.

• Love 1

I picked up sushi last night & then got an invitation to eat & drink on someone else's dime, so I had beef fajitas and Margaritas for dinner. Then for breakfast, I had eel & spicy tuna sushi rolls. 

• Love 1

After a humongous Mother's Day brunch (pancakes, French toast, omelette bar, salad, carving station (which I didn't have), desserts...), we're just having carrot soup and a bit of salad for dinner.  :) 

I made a big pot of chili mac which is not only easy and delicious but also used up six, SIX, cans out of my pantry plus the last of the penne and the bag of cheddar cheese.  Yes, the pantry purge continues!

• Love 3
(edited)

That looks delicious @Qoass.

I frequently make the Weight Watchers version of it

ETA: I'm looking at this recipe and it says "2 Tbsp canned green chili peppers, diced, drained". There is 0.0% chance that I would do anything but throw the entire small can of chili peppers into the mix. 

Edited by JTMacc99
  • Love 3

Anybody have any personal experience with the ready-to-prepare meal delivery services like Munchery, Blue Apron, Home Chef, HelloFresh, etc.?

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look.

5 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody have any personal experience with the ready-to-prepare meal delivery services like Munchery, Blue Apron, Home Chef, HelloFresh, etc.?

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look.

It's a separate thread under "Food" and I have experience I have posted there.

Muffulettas. Here in New Orleans....warmed up so the cheese was melted and the tapenade was chilled and oh so good. Tried a place in Metairie this am for brunch. Daisy Dukes. They're billed as having the #1 Bloody Mary in the area since 2011 and I have to say that I can see why it has won that accolade. Really the best IMHO. 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Qoass said:

It's this and since I was a short on frozen corn, I dumped in a can of that too.  Nothing fancy, just good comfort food.

Yay, chili mac for dinner tonight! Thanks for posting this site,  QOASS, it looks like a good source for cheap meals.

(edited)

I recommend BudgetBytes.com highly. She's a little sriracha-happy but her buffalo chicken pizza recipe is everything.

eta: the vegetarian version is also good but neither freezes well.

Edited by Qoass

Persian spiced braised lamb shanks with basamati rice, a pomegranate salad and I'll pick up some awesome bread from the Turkish place down the street to sop up the sauce.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Persian spiced braised lamb shanks with basamati rice, a pomegranate salad and I'll pick up some awesome bread from the Turkish place down the street to sop up the sauce.

What time is Dinner. I'll wash up after.

• Love 4

Tonight it was some hamburger, a box of Hamburger Helper Pasta, mushrooms, and sour cream in the electric fry pan. Half Hamburger Helper and half Beef Stroganoff. All good. Plus some plain peas. I love me some peas.

• Love 5

Lobster and scallop spaghetti

I went to Costco today! I have looooots of meat that I need to deal with and two very full freezers already. I want to cry. 

Hubby says it's my punishment for the fun I have while I'm at Costco.

• Love 3

At my friends. She got this sauté veggie mix that is very nutritious as well as yummy looking. She also plans to stuff some thinly sliced flank steak with stuffing and then braise it. I'm just home for a trip and am so grateful that my friend is cooking. She could give me tomato soup and grilled cheese and I'd be happy! 

• Love 2

I had made a halved version of Ina Garten's spinach gratin for Mother's Day dinner, so I had some thawed formerly-frozen spinach left.  I sautéed some garlic, shallots, and mushrooms, and combined that with the spinach and some Parmigiano-reggiano and stuffed it into chicken breasts.  Then a simple "gravy" of a flour/butter roux and chicken stock and dry vermouth to pour over the finished product.  Easy, tasty, and yielding leftovers for lunch. 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Shrimp tacos with mango salsa and a cabbage and jicama slaw plus a black bean and corn salad.

That's funny - I make shrimp tacos with a mango slaw fairly frequently, and was thinking of making it tonight. 

• Love 1