Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I have chicken tetrazzini in the oven. I use Giada's recipe which is very good. At my monthly pot luck Fun Lunch this week, someone brought chicken tetrazzini and I was impressed they went to the trouble. I was not impressed with their effort - it was dry and bland.

We went to a SOUP-er Bowl lunch that a church has every year. All the proceeds go to support our local center that helps the chronically homeless. The church donates all the food and a professional chef plus volunteers make the soups. Three homemade soups, chili, chicken noodle, and potato with green salad and rolls. Sheet cake and brownies for dessert.

I'm bummed it didn't occur to me to just get snack food for dinner. Maybe tomorrow.

• Love 1

We tried Trader Joe’s Protein Patties which are their version of Beyond and Impossible burgers and they were pretty good. Other than a sort of odd smell when cooking. I am not a vegetarian but would have them again.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

I don't remember who originally recommended this Asian slaw with ginger-peanut dressing recipe, but last month it popped into my mind and I realized I hadn't made it in a while.  I've made it three times since, and am having the latest batch right now.  I don't know why this fell off my radar for so long; it's easy and delicious.  It's also very colorful, so it's looks as good as it tastes.

Because I use several of the same ingredients in the mango slaw I make to go in shrimp tacos, while I was chopping cabbage and cilantro anyway, I made that slaw (minus the mango, which I'll add tonight) and the dressing (mayo, lime juice, cilantro, chili paste, and a pinch of sugar), and I'll make those tacos for dinner.

• Love 1

I spent a lot of the day making stuff for my Oscar party tomorrow so didn’t feel equipped to make dinner so pulled some homemade sauce from the freezer and had spaghetti with chunks of mozzarella.

I have been trying to organize our kitchen better because of one two many times of food getting wasted because it got shoved to the back of the fridge so a few weeks ago I got some magnetic white boards and put them on our fridge/freezer in the kitchen and our chest freezer and inventoried everything in both with expiration dates where appropriate and wrote them all down on the white boards. Now when anything goes in or out i just add it or erase it. It’s really helped and also made menu planning so much easier because I can just look over what we had a create something based on that.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1

I made shredded BBQ chicken for dinner (boneless breasts in the slow cooker with some BBQ sauce, removed to a serving dish to be shredded and mixed with some of the sauce).  I just took a couple of hamburger buns and made sandwiches.  Simple but good.

I thought I might have spoiled my dinner by having an afternoon snack of some Girl Scout cookies (a sampler plate of the new lemon flavor, Thin Mints, and Tagalongs) with coffee.  But, my appetite was fine by dinnertime. 🙂 

I had my first Impossible Burger at lunch today, and not at Burger King. I was at a local sports bar known for their burgers and wings. It was good, but I think once is enough. I usually have their grilled shrimp tacos, which are good. I'll go back to having them.

• Useful 1

Feeling slightly under the weather so raided the freezer for chicken stock which I simmered for awhile with scallions, jalapeños, garlic, soy sauce, and ginger and drained then added mushrooms, snow peas and some wontons I made last week. Tasty and soothing on my throat.

Breakfast:  Frozen berries thawed overnight in the fridge topped with yogurt and kefir as well as ground flax and chia. 

Lunch:  Spinach salad with lentils and sweet potatoes

Dinner: It's Shrove/Pancake Tuesday and I'll be making socca (chickpea pancakes).  Also, turkey breast and tomato sauce.  Bought some pre-made "regular" (not so regular since one is jalepeno and bacon.  The lady at the store STRESSED that it wasn't that spicy) pancakes just in case my husband doesn't like the socca. 

Shrimp pasta salad for lunch.

Chicken tikka masala over saffron rice and King Cake for dessert. I had a hard time finding one. WF had lots of them on Saturday, but when I went on Monday, they were sold out. Finally found one at a local grocery store.

kingcake.jpg

• Love 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Shrimp pasta salad for lunch.

Chicken tikka masala over saffron rice and King Cake for dessert. I had a hard time finding one. WF had lots of them on Saturday, but when I went on Monday, they were sold out. Finally found one at a local grocery store.

kingcake.jpg

Love the beads on the cake!!

Good ol' nourishing beef stew and mashed potatoes (to get us through the debates!) & tossed salad.  Harris Teeter's lower fat/less sugar vanilla ice cream with chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

And my husband got the baby on the first cut of the King Cake. My NOLA stepdaughter says that means he's either king for the day or has to buy the next King Cake. I told her he's always king for the day so he needs to buy the next King Cake. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Today was my monthly Fun Lunch potluck luncheon. The theme was tea. Lots of finger foods, cucumber and crème cheese sandwiches, egg salad, chicken salad. Scottish eggs, scones, trifle, and tea cookies. And our requisite bottles of wine in addition to tea. . 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Plus, first GIrl Scout cookies in years, one sleeve of thin mints is a single serving, correct?

Absolutely!

(But while I like Thin Mints, my own preference is for Tagalongs - with the chocolate and peanut butter!)

• Love 1

We've had a mild winter in the bay area of MD, sprinkled with a few cold days. Today is one of those days, so I'm making vegetarian chili on this chilly day. I told HRH Jinglebelle it was a good day to be an indoor kitty. 😉

• Love 1
On 2/27/2020 at 8:47 PM, chessiegal said:

Today was my monthly Fun Lunch potluck luncheon. The theme was tea. Lots of finger foods, cucumber and crème cheese sandwiches, egg salad, chicken salad. Scottish eggs, scones, trifle, and tea cookies. And our requisite bottles of wine in addition to tea. . 

I went to a bridal shower today and the menu was very similar to what you had for your pot luck. I enjoy a good tea party. 

• Love 2

Made some cheddar and scallion mashed potato cakes because we had a ton of leftover mashed potatoes and used them in sort of a play on full English breakfast with bangers, broiled tomatoes, mushrooms, baked beans and a fried egg.

ATK sent me another recipe for 2 to test, the second in about a month. It's a meatloaf on a sheet pan that bakes with carrots and turnips or potatoes. I used red potatoes. The meatloaf had parmesan cheese in it. I wasn't that much of a fan of the cheese, but my husband loved it.

• Love 2

There’s a Russian market near one of my go to dim sum places that I drop in whenever I am there. They have all these different smoked meats and sausages but they are only labeled in Cyrillic so tonight is having one of these mystery sausages with roasted potatoes and braised cabbage.

• Love 2

I had a disappointing lunch today. A few weeks ago I had lunch at a small place in rural Anne Arundel county near our marina that was recommended by a friend. I had the best Cuban sandwich I've ever had, and black bean soup that was very good. I went back today and ordered shrimp tacos. I was shocked the shrimp were overcooked! At least the glass of Prosecco was good. 😉

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Went to the grocery store around 11 am for just a few things, and it was NUTS! People are panic buying.

I'm going to try early tomorrow morning - 9:15ish. We have 5 supermarkets in our area so it may not be too bad 🤞 I just read an article in the Washington Post in which a lot of grocery executives are saying they have the supplies, they're in the warehouses and the stores will get restocked. Here's hoping the truck drivers, stockers, etc., stay healthy. Sheesh - here's hoping we all stay healthy! 

• Love 2

Making a shrimp, zucchini, and tomato stir-fry for dinner tonight.

No more eating out for us after 5 pm today. The governor is closing all bars, restaurants, gyms. and movie theaters for the foreseeable future. Drive thru and take out places can stay open. 

Starting at midnight the Bay Area has been ordered to shelter in place so only essential business (basically only grocery stores and pharmacies) so no take out or delivery.

Tonight will be asparagus risotto and a salad. 

Edited by biakbiak

On the quarantine diet!

Breakfast: A smoothie -- Vega One protein + greens chocolate plant-based protein powder; powdered milk; chia powder; cocoa powder; peanut butter; frozen raspberries; water. Then I put some Ezekiel 4:9 sprouted whole grain cereal in it as well, so it was more of a smoothie bowl.

Lunch: Whole grain crackers and a can of sardines in olive oil.

Snack: Some dates and unsweetened chocolate chips, and a mug of English breakfast tea.

Dinner: Sort of a stew -- lentils, brown rice, olive oil, frozen spinach, frozen butternut squash, nutritional yeast, rosemary, sage, garlic.

Grilled bacon cheddar cheese hamburgers I got at the grocery store recently, one of the few fresh meats on the shelf, so thought I would give them a try. We have bread, but I thought it would be nice to have hamburger buns. I checked the small store near us, and they had gotten a delivery this morning, so were fully stocked with bread products.

When we were looking for a house, the sign on this store cracked me up. Under their name, it says "Liquor Lottery Tickets Bait". All the necessities of life.

• LOL 4

Our friend who left town to be with his parents was traveling light so gave us some of his perishables and a lot of prepackaged chopped vegetables so today is TJs Asian stir fry mix and marinated some chicken thighs in ginger, garlic and soy with rice and some homemade dumplings from the freezer. 

19 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When we were looking for a house, the sign on this store cracked me up. Under their name, it says "Liquor Lottery Tickets Bait". All the necessities of life.

When my stepdaughter was driving cross country from LA to State College, PA for grad school, as the scenery got more & more "rural", she got more & more worried. By the time they passed a little ol' country store with a large sign saying "Bait" she burst into tears.  All worked out though as she has lots of fun memories of great people & times at Penn State.

• Love 1

Guavas were super cheap a week or two ago at the farmers market so I made jam. Today I turned it into a bbq sauce for chicken thighs and had potato salad and coleslaw (still trying to use up the prechopped veg are friend gave us). Sauce turned out awesome.

• Love 2

I made a vegan lasagna pizza. It's just a pizza when you're too lazy to make a crust. I used green and black olives, onions, and mushrooms. Instead of cheese I blended some tofu and nutritional yeast with soy sauce and onion powder. Pizza sauce instead of tomato sauce. All good! 

Trying to plan lunches rather than grab whatever to better utilize all of our food efficiently. So last night I made some sandwich bread and today I turned some left over roast chicken, chopped mixed vegetables from TJs, and some pesto I made with some basil that was turning and carrot tops into chicken salad sandwiches with leftover slaw as a side.

Dinner was spaghetti Alfredo because in a pandemic you don’t always get your choice of pastas and a salad with a pesto vinaigrette.