Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

My husband has been fighting an uphill battle with ulcerative colitis for the past month. With medication, it had been in remission for over 10 years. His doctor has been adjusting and adding medications. She recently added a strong steroid that finally seems to be working, but the downside is any spicy foods give him terrible heartburn, even bacon. Tonight I'll see how a mild meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and asparagus go down. 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband has been fighting an uphill battle with ulcerative colitis for the past month. With medication, it had been in remission for over 10 years. His doctor has been adjusting and adding medications. She recently added a strong steroid that finally seems to be working, but the downside is any spicy foods give him terrible heartburn, even bacon. Tonight I'll see how a mild meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and asparagus go down. 

So sorry to hear that, my sister had UC for several years and eventually had to have an emergency colectomy when on vacation in Spain so I know how tough that can be, hope the new treatment works for him. 

Split pea soup with a smoked ham hock and homemade “sourdough” from the InstantPot. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 11/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, chessiegal said:

Oof, he has my sympathies; I had colitis for over 4 months earlier this year secondary to immunotherapy for skin cancer (as if I wasn't dealing with enough!).  On top of high-dose steroids, I eventually had to adopt a colitis-friendly diet, which I basically called The List of NO.  Life was pretty bland for a while, but eventually everything calmed down.  I hope your hubs is feeling better soon.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Meatloaf, mac and cheese, and green beans for dinner.

I had almost the same dinner, except substitute corn for green beans. (Granted, mine came delivered from Boston Market via GrubHub, but it was still good.) And indeed comfort food. Except here started in the 40s and fell into the 30s with a cold rain/wet snow mix. (First flakes of the season here.) So comfort food seemed like a great way to go.

• Love 2

Grilled pork chops, baked pilaf, and a big ol' tossed salad. I also made meatloaf for tomorrow night's dinner. Speaking of GI issues, I have IBS & gastroparesis, somewhat mild cases of each. But they act up and then I have to revert to the bland meals for a while. I love tapioca pudding (cut back on the sugar in it, though), and rice & chicken. But it's no fun to endure, miss out on the yum stuff, esp for us foodies.

We have some friends visiting for the long weekend so I spent the last few days making a traditional cassoulet from scratch (including confiting the duck legs). It was actually not that bad and it’s currently in the oven smelling delicious! 

• Love 2

I just put some rice on to cook to go with my big pot of chicken gumbo.  I haven't made gumbo in a while and although I think it will taste good, I don't think I made enough roux, so it won't thicken as much as it should (although I love okra, I don't put it in my gumbo to help thicken it like a lot of people do. I'll eat gumbo with okra in it, I just don't use it when I make gumbo).  The house smells good, though--like roux and file powder.

• Love 4

Yum gumbo!

I hate when I do a quick skim of a recipe and realize at the last minute it’s supposed to marinate overnight! Thankfully a well stocked freezer came to the rescue and it’s vegetarian chili and cheese and roasted red pepper quesadillas.

• Love 2

The grill master is cooking marinated pork tenderloin and zucchini. I'm cooking scalloped potatoes in the counter top oven. Despite the fact that the gauge on our in ground propane tank says it's half full, we have no heat, hot water, or stove. The earliest our supplier can get here is Monday maybe, but it could be Tuesday. We have a pellet stove heating our great room, and electric room heater for the bedroom. Turns out gym membership is good for something other than exercising.

Mr. P914 and I are wiped out. Our guests left this morning. Loved seeing our 9 yr old grandson, daughter & son in law, going to some museums in DC, eating good food, and catching up. But stick that proverbial (Thanksgiving) fork in us. We are done!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Leftovers heated in the countertop oven and microwave, because our natural gas supplier did not come today. We are now 4 days with no heat, hot water, or fuel for the stove. Hopefully they will come tomorrow. Heat and cooking are easy workarounds, but having to leave the house to shower is getting old. And with that I will end my whining about my first world problem.

I had boiled my turkey bones to make stock and put in the fridge. Today I cut up delicata squash, garlic, onions, celery, potato, and some slivered sun dried tomatoes and simmered them in the strained broth and had a wonderful turkey veggie soup for dinner with garlic bread. 

I stopped at a small place that has a good reputation that I'd never been to before for breakfast. I didn't get anything fancy - just eggs sunny side up, scrapple, home fries, and toast with a mimosa.

I'm making vegetarian chili with Morningstar crumbles for dinner.

I love when I have no idea what I want for lunch and discover I have the ingredients for a simple and delicious lunch so was delighted to find out I could make a brie, ham, and Dijon sandwich on a yummy baguette we had for dinner last night.

Today is SantaCon which means my neighborhood will be taken over by drunken Santas and elves so will be making chicken and andouille gumbo and not leave the house. I remembered to use Cooks Illustrated method of browning the flour for the roux in the oven for 40-50 minutes so you get the flavor of a deep dark roux but aren’t spending active time on the stove. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I love when I have no idea what I want for lunch and discover I have the ingredients for a simple and delicious lunch so was delighted to find out I could make a brie, ham, and Dijon sandwich on a yummy baguette we had for dinner last night.

There's a chain of restaurants called First Watch that serves a delicious sandwich of ham, maybe Swiss cheese, slice of tomato, and Dijon on some kind of white bread and grill it.  It's  my favorite!

I put my husband in charge of reheating leftover chili on the stovetop.

Husband: When will I know it's hot enough?

Me: It should come to a simmer.

Husband: I see some bubbles. Do you think it's hot enough?

Me: Taste it.

Husband: Oh.

Me (under my breath): Oy.

• LOL 7

I've discovered a quick-to-make supper--Bertolli's Chicken al Fredo with Penne. I needed to get something on the table fast and this was very good (of course it had some sauted baby bello mushrooms, a little garlic powder, Mural of Flavor, & some white wine added to it).  Think I'll keep a bag of this in my freezer for future quick-to-make suppers!

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

I've discovered a quick-to-make supper--Bertolli's Chicken al Fredo with Penne. I needed to get something on the table fast and this was very good (of course it had some sauted baby bello mushrooms, a little garlic powder, Mural of Flavor, & some white wine added to it).  Think I'll keep a bag of this in my freezer for future quick-to-make suppers!

Like anything else of that ilk, the Bertolli's frozen meals are heavy on sodium, and it's annoying how much less meat is included in each one now compared to when they first came out, but I, too, like to keep a bag in the freezer for when I don't want to cook but want something cheaper than delivery.  I like the chicken florentine & farfalle and shrimp penne & asparagus. 

Making a favorite chicken stir fry from an old WW cookbook - marinated chicken, asparagus, and green onions, sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. I'll have mine over rice. My husband likes his over garlic angel hair pasta I buy at WF.

'

It’s a friend’s birthday so currently roasting a stuffed pork loin (chimmichiri, red peppers, olives, mortadella, and hard boiled eggs), serving it with extra sauce, roasted potatoes and green beans. Dessert is a chocolate cheesecake.

Last night:  Our annual family holiday dinner.  Turkey breast, brisket, latkes (we're an interfaith, intercultural family), stuffing, salad, truffle mac and cheese and vegetables.  

Lunch today:  Okay, brunch.  Spinach salad with scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, smoked salmon and toast.

Dinner:  Leftover brisket and latkes (since it's the first night of Chanukah), salad, chicken fingers

• Love 2

Did a turkey with Helen Rosen’s cold oven method that she twitted about at Thanksgiving for our gift exchange dinner. Amazing with moist meat and super crispy skin, so delicious. Served with a radicchio salad, creamy mashed potatoes, gravy, challah, and roasted mushrooms with chocolate cream pie and assorted cookies for dessert!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

It’s our tradition to have appetizer dinner on Christmas Eve, so tonight was shrimp cocktail, hoisin meatballs, everything bagel seasoned dip with crudités, and pimento cheese puffs with caramelized onions. There was supposed to be mushroom and gruyere tartlets, but I got lazy.

• Love 3

Mustard glazed ham, hasselback potato gratin, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce leftover from Monday’s dinner, Brussels sprouts and radicchio salad with pomegranates and nuts (I had random roasted ones from various cookie recipes so had a variety), Parker House pretzel rolls, and a walnut tart.

• Love 1

Christmas dinner here was - thanks to Omaha steaks - bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon, mashed potatoes, corn, and biscuits, and everything was SO DELICIOUS.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Or Hanukkah [I know that lasts a few more days]. Or, if you do not celebrate either, a nice Wednesday!

• Love 5

My brother-in-law sent us an Omaha Steak package with a variety of food. I'd forgotten how nice it is to have good food waiting in the freezer. We're having the last of the boneless pork chops done on the grill tonight. I thought I might have to brine them, but they were tasty and tender without the brine. 

• Love 1

We had cousins over for a slightly late Xmas celebration last night and I served grilled pork tenderloins, salad, and savory cheese Potato Gratins (Wegmans sells them).  Also Prosecco! We had individual Pavlovas with whipped cream and fresh fruit for dessert. I was a bit worried about the meringues coming out ok cause it was overcast and Mr. P914 said he saw some drizzle. But...they turned out beautifully.

On Christmas Day, we had dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Their potato-leek soup (appetizer) was the best soup I've ever had. I need to find their recipe or a copycat recipe (it was that good!) Their filet was so tender. I overheard a hostess say they relaxed their dress code for Xmas day. Good thing cause I saw almost every kind of outfit there that day!

• Love 1

Leftover Christmas ham is on the menu tonight here, too - pasta shells stuffed with spinach, ham, ricotta and parm are ready to go, and I just need to make the alfredo sauce and get everything in the oven (I know it's traditionally made with marinara, but I have to be in the right mood for a tomato-based sauce and I'm not).  No vegetable side tonight, but I'm munching away on my salad (mixed greens, avocado, and green goddess dressing).

I just put runsas in the oven. They are a midwestern German thing (I think). A slightly sweet dough stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, onions, and cabbage (all cooked) and a piece of American cheese. I made mine the size of a hamburger with bun, but I think next time I will make them slider-sized.

Tomorrow I’m making cassoulet. I splurged on the ingredients so I can make it as authentic as possible. 

• Love 1