Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Kimchi fried rice with my first batch of homemade kimchi, which turned out so fabulous I have been eating it straight of the jar, with a fried egg on top.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Left over chips and salsa for dinner from a mid-afternoon lunch of shrimp tacos at a local restaurant . My sweet husband surprised me this week with funding for a new car, so we spent hours at a Honda dealership getting me the car I wanted. Sorry ladies - he's taken, not giving him up.

• Love 1

Grilled burgers & brats, potato salad from Wegmans (it was just ok--I need to start making my own), and fruit salsa. The brats are from Costco. I'm no expert on bratwurst, but having had great brats from MI, I'd say Costco's are tasteless. Mr. Michigan himself wasn't as critical. Maybe he was just happy to be feasting on brats😁 

• Love 1
(edited)

We have some friends staying with us before they start AIDS/Lifecycle a week long bike ride from SF to LA early tomorrow morning so it was their choice of meals and I am making a vegetarian black bean chili and quesadillas with a caramel walnut banana cake for dessert.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Grilled burgers & brats, potato salad from Wegmans (it was just ok--I need to start making my own), and fruit salsa. The brats are from Costco. I'm no expert on bratwurst, but having had great brats from MI, I'd say Costco's are tasteless. Mr. Michigan himself wasn't as critical. Maybe he was just happy to be feasting on brats😁 

I took some potato salad from Safeway to a neighborhood pot luck once. I put in a bowl, and everyone was raving how good it was and wanted to know who made it. They were happy to find out they could buy it rather than make it.

We're having chili cheese hot dogs tonight. Going to finish off a package of hot dog rolls.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Breakfast: A smoothie (vegan chocolate protein powder, chia seeds, cacao powder, unsweetened soymilk, unsweetened almond/coconut milk, frozen mixed berries, and kale); two slices of sprouted whole grain bread with Earth Balance; and fish oil and vitamin D3 supplements. We got a blender last week so I have been making smoothies almost every day because they are very refreshing to have for breakfast and also fast and easy to make in advance...actually it's even helped me break my habit of not eating for hours after I get up.

Lunch (at get-together for my writer's group): Earl Grey tea with unsweetened oat milk, two slices of vegetable pizza from local pizza place.

Snack (at Thai restaurant we stopped at later because my husband was hungry): Coconut water with chunks of young coconut in it.

Dinner (more of a snack than a dinner since I ate a lot earlier): Gardein beefless ground with steamed spinach, tomato, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast; baby carrots on the side; and a mug of decaf loose-leaf green tea.

• Useful 1

Went out to brunch today and had a ton of food: two complimentary mini-biscuits and a mini-cranberry muffin with raspberry clotted cream; BBQ lentil veggie wrap; sweet potato fries; and unsweetened iced tea. We went here once before with friends and had a great time, and the food is good, but I don't think we'll go back here. Our food took around 40 minutes and it wasn't even that crowded since it was late lunch hours...ok, things happen. But the real reason we probably won't come back is because the brunch was supposed to come with a complimentary cocktail, but I don't drink and my husband also didn't want to drink in the middle of the day, and they still charged me for my iced tea. I saved them money by not ordering a cocktail because iced tea costs a lot less to make, and the price of the cocktail probably caused an increase in the price of the food, and it's like I had to pay twice. Sorry but that's not good customer service especially because iced tea is very upcharged anyway. A lot of people these days either don't drink or are limiting it. Anyway the reason why we came here is because we were hoping to look at and test drive cars today at nearby dealerships (the transmission and brakes on our 15 year old car are about to die)...but it turns out NJ doesn't allow dealerships to be open on Sunday because of blue laws.

Anyway that was most of my calories for the day. We're doing work at Starbucks tonight so I got an unsweetened iced green tea and later will get some snacks (a cheese stick and some chocolate covered almonds)...so I guess today was an unhealthy day LOL.

Potluck lunch at a meeting - deviled eggs, a cute skewer appetizer with tortellini, mozzarella, and grape tomato, and chicken salad and spinach salad, chocolate chip cookie for dessert. Dinner at a fundraiser at an Irish restaurant - I had potato leek soup, fish and chips, and brought home the chocolate mouse dessert. My husband had Shepard's Pie.

Dinner yesterday:  Chicken breast a la Cynthia (Cynthia is my first name) - Chicken breasts, onions, apples (cut into bite sized pieces) roasted with a sauce made of apple butter, garlic, ginger and dried herbs.  Quinoa and steamed veggies as a side (also a few pieces of broccoli cheddar tots I saw at the Whole Foods hot food bar).  

Tonight will be baked tofu with tomato sauce and buffalo mozzarella, zucchini (and MAYBE some asparagus - that's undecided) and bread.  

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I woke up feeling like crap this morning. I had a Bloody Mary at 7:30 am. It helped.

Ha, I should have joined you. Getting up now to go make one. It’s almost 4:30 tee hee. 

• Love 1

I tried a Katie Lee recipe tonight, from her Endless Summer Cookbook: Breakfast Bread.  Of course, I felt it needed a bit of seasoning (in the ricotta) plus, I got carried away with the shredded Gruyere, but wow! It was very tasty. A nice, simple supper w/ salad ☺

• Love 1
(edited)

Sole meunière, parsley potatoes and asparagus and even though it’s a fake day a bottle of rosé because I don’t really need an excuse to have some.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Breakfast: Didn't have.

Lunch: Huge lunch at an Indian restaurant...paneer korma (my husband got paneer tikka masala so I tried a bit of that too), and then it came with a bunch of sides for us to share: dal, basmati rice, sauteed vegetables, and naan with ghee. It also came with free dessert which was a small bowl of rice pudding with spices. This was all included in the lunch special for ~$12 (+tax/tip). I also got masala chai with milk and a bit of sugar.

Snack: Starbucks unsweetened iced green tea since we were walking around a lot and it was nice and warm outside. I find tea is more refreshing than water.

"Dinner": Since I ate so many calories for lunch and we were busy with moving our roommate from hell (my hoarder MIL) to a new apartment and cleaning up the aftermath, I just had a snack -- raspberry truffle No Cow Bar (it is gross and I ate it to get rid of it...the NuGo Slim vegan protein bars are better) and one Sigdal Norwegian crispbread with a bit of Earth Balance and nutritional yeast (they're these healthy crackers made out of oats and rye and seeds and stuff like that).

• Love 2

I unfortunately didn’t look at the weather forecast when I decided to make a chicken tagine with the preserved lemons that I had just finished curing and olives otherwise I wouldn’t have made it on a 88 degree day, it’s still over 80 at 9 pm! I live in SF for a reason and it’s that it’s 65 and pleasant or foggy! That said we survived with a refreshing vino verde to wash it down. Will definitely be modifying my menu for tomorrow’s heat!

• Love 3

How did I not know about this forum?

58 minutes ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

(my husband got paneer tikka masala so I tried a bit of that too), and then it came with a bunch of sides for us to share: dal, basmati rice, sauteed vegetables, and naan with ghee.

I am envious.

• Love 1

FOOD PSA: Today I had a goddamn panic attack thinking I had developed diabetes because my pee smelled sweet (not to be gross or anything but it kind of smelled like donuts and I had a donut today). I'm a hypochondriac, plus WebMD and those other awful websites all just said "diabetes" and didn't say anything about foods that could cause this to happen.

Finally after like 40 minutes of panicking I came across this article: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2010/06/the-mystery-of-the-maple-syrup-smell/57980/ "Fenugreek contains an extremely potent aromatic compound called solotone. Also present in lovage, some aged rums, and molasses, solotone passes through the body, and when consumed in heavy amounts, can prompt a sweet maple-y odor in sweat and urine." "Fenugreek is a small spindly plant with short roots and green teardrop-shaped leaves whose beige pellet seeds are most often used as a spice, adding a savory depth to curries and rice dishes. However, the leguminous plant—leaves, stems, and all—is an important green in Indian, Yemeni, and Ethiopian cuisines. Rich in protein, methi, as it is known in Hindi, is often sautéed like spinach."

Why those other terrible websites couldn't bother to research this, I don't know (well, I do know...they profit from fear), but this must be the reason, because I also remember my hands also smelled like maple syrup yesterday and my husband said his did too. I assume the sauteed vegetables from the restaurant must have contained methi.

Anyway, I saved you guys a panic attack and possibly a doctor's visit if this ever happens to you! My husband was about to come home and take me to urgent care LOL.

On 6/10/2019 at 5:27 PM, BuyMoreAndSave said:

FOOD PSA: Today I had a goddamn panic attack thinking I had developed diabetes because my pee smelled sweet (not to be gross or anything but it kind of smelled like donuts and I had a donut today). I'm a hypochondriac, plus WebMD and those other awful websites all just said "diabetes" and didn't say anything about foods that could cause this to happen.

Just as an FYI, if you eat beets they will turn your pee pink.  

Today is the second day of my being very diligent about sticking to my healthy diet (and staying at the low end of my calorie range).  A little cottage cheese for breakfast (with some fruit), for lunch oatmeal (I didn't have time to fix it this morning so I had it for lunch) with lots of cinnamon, chopped tart apple, a few chopped toasted almonds and a tiny drizzle of maple syrup.  For dinner I'm making a couple of pieces of chicken baked in the oven with some Cajun seasoning and some roasted Brussels sprouts (I do love those things!).   

• Love 1
(edited)

Heatwave continues so once I stop being a puddle of sweat I will make Ina Garten’s shrimp and orzo pasta salad because it’s nice and refreshing and the oven only has to be on for a short amount of time. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Pre-dinner snack: I had a free coupon for a local smoothie place, so I got a smoothie bowl of: acai, chocolate protein powder, sliced banana, granola, and peanut butter. It was awesome. Now that I have my blender I can also make things like this at home. For dinner itself we don't have much food in the house (we didn't have time to go shopping for over 2 weeks -- it's been very busy lately) so I just made whole-wheat spaghetti with a "meat sauce" of arrabbiata sauce, Gardein beefless ground, frozen spinach, and nutritional yeast. It was good, a little too salty though (next time I will make a healthier version with tempeh instead of Gardein). After that I will have some decaf green tea. I decided to give up caffeine because I think it was giving me heart palpitations.

Grilled pork chops with Montreal Steak Seasoning, fresh thyme, & a squirt of lemon; potato salad, Ina's Confetti Corn, and cole slaw (had to use the bag of shredded cabbage & carrots before it went bad). No dessert--we're stuffed!

• Love 1

Thanks - I'd been debating between pork chops and lamb chops, ridiculously unable to decide which sounds better (I can just make the other one tomorrow night, so I don't even know what my brain was doing that this was A Thing), and your post made me finally decide to go with the pork chops.  So, they're brining, and I'll grill them and sauté some kale with red onion.  The salad will be a simple red leaf lettuce and spinach with goat cheese, walnuts, and balsamic vinaigrette.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Heatwave continues so once I stop being a puddle of sweat I will make Ina Garten’s shrimp and orzo pasta salad because it’s nice and refreshing and the oven only has to be on for a short amount of time. 

That's my favorite Ina recipe. And one reason I love my Breville countertop oven is that it doesn't heat up the kitchen. I can't remember the last time I used my stove's oven. I use the Breville at least 4 times a week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I just made a lovely Cobb salad for lunch and will be making red beans and rice with smoked sausage for dinner. I top it with a confetti of raw celery, red, orange, yellow and green peppers, celery and onion. It adds a delightful crunch in contrast to the soft texture of the beans. 

• Love 2

Today is the last day of school in our county. Our driveway is the bus stop. We have no kids at home, but are happy to have the little ones and their parents there in the mornings while they wait for the bus. This morning they surprised us with a lovely gift basket of goodies to say thank you. It had several bags of chocolate candy. By 3 this afternoon I decided I should eat something besides candy, so had a turkey sandwich that I'm washing down with Prosecco. Life is good.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Today is the last day of school in our county. Our driveway is the bus stop. We have no kids at home, but are happy to have the little ones and their parents there in the mornings while they wait for the bus.

That sounds like something out of my nightmares.

I had a chicken breast left over from roasting a chicken, so I chopped it up and mixed it with onion, celery, tarragon, and mayo, intending to have a chicken salad sandwich, only to remember that the market was out of the bread I like (made with nothing but wheat flour, yeast, water, and salt) so I have no bread.  I don't even have any lavash to make a wrap.  Damn.  I don't eat a lot of sandwiches, and I was looking forward to this one.  Not enough to make a special trip to get some, though, so I am just eating the chicken salad.

Dinner will be seared scallops with a mango and cucumber salsa.  Vegetable and salad to be determined tonight.

I have a lot of mangoes, so tomorrow night I'll make shrimp tacos with mango slaw.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, LucindaWalsh said:

Two hotdogs ATW and some battered crunchy soft french fries at a little corner place while waiting for the dog to be groomed. Later a wedge of Harris Teeter chocolate chip birthday cookie leftover from last night when I dropped off the doggy. Warming over spinach/cheese ravioli/alfredo sauce/chicken thingy I made Monday night for supper. I really want another piece of that chocolate chip cookie thing though.  

All these meals sounded so good compared with my boring ham steak, leftover potato salad, & tossed salad, so I decided to have coconut ice cream for dessert. 

1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

A leftover ham and potato salad sandwich on a roll is one of my favorite meals.

Breakfast was homemade biscuit with sausage gravy. Lunch fish sticks with buttered and lemoned noodles, steakhouse baked beans. Supper is going to be probably soup in front of the tv marathoning something. Hopefully alone with no distractions. 

Glorioski--fish sticks! I hope they're tastier today than when we had them back in the 60's. They probably are now similar to fish & chips, right?  I love fish & chips with tartar sauce. Buttered lemony noodles are my all time favorite dish. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

A leftover ham and potato salad sandwich on a roll is one of my favorite meals.

Breakfast was homemade biscuit with sausage gravy. Lunch fish sticks with buttered and lemoned noodles, steakhouse baked beans. Supper is going to be probably soup in front of the tv marathoning something. Hopefully alone with no distractions. 

I love (way more than I know I should) buttered noodles (or buttered pasta, in general). I’ve never tried them with lemon though, which I also love. Wish I’d known about that, so I could’ve tried it, before my mom & I moved into an assisted living center after my dad died 2 years ago & someone else now does the cooking, on a set menu, which will make it hard to try this now. Unless we happen to have buttered noodles with some form of seafood on the menu & I can get lemon on the side for the seafood, but use it on the noodles.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

Orange juice with vodka is good medicine for a cold I just can't seem to kick, right?

So you save the Bloody Marys for mornings when you don’t feel so good and screwdrivers for colds. Interesting. I like your approach to medicine. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Feel not fell.
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Unless we happen to have buttered noodles with some form of seafood on the menu & I can get lemon on the side for the seafood, but use it on the noodles.

Talk with the center's dietician and/or chef about adding buttered noodles w/ lemon (or just buttered noodles, & you do the lemon addition at your table). I have a feeling they're always interested in suggestions of nutritious + delicious dishes & this would be so easy to fulfill!

• Love 1

If Trader Joe's still sells lemon pepper pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta), all you have to do is boil it, drain, and toss with butter.   Excellent side dish for any kind of fish, or break the noodles into thirds and stir shellfish into the cooked pasta.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 minutes ago, fairffaxx said:

If Trader Joe's still sells lemon pepper pappardelle (wide ribbon pasta), all you have to do is boil it, drain, and toss with butter.   Excellent side dish for any kind of fish, or break the noodles into thirds and stir shellfish into the cooked pasta.

Had no idea TJ sold lemon pappardelle. I cooked plain pappardelle tonight, added butter, lemon juice & parmesan to have w/ reheated leftover grilled pork chops & a salad. Valerie Bertinelli's blueberry tart for dessert.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Orange juice with vodka is good medicine for a cold I just can't seem to kick, right?

A bar near my house makes a drink with so much ginger and peppers that I get it whenever I have a cold because it’s magic!

Pork chops with mango and basil sauce, spicy green beans, and roasted potatoes. 

I have a shit-ton (that’s my word of the week btw) of parsley and mint growing on my porch. So the internet told me I could use some up making a cauliflower tabbouleh. 

Food processor the cauliflower, then the herbs, then juice a couple lemons, red onion, tomatoes, olive oil, s&p. It was pretty good given the lack of calories other than the oil. My son ate it, so there’s that endorsement. Of course the other item on his plate were cheeseburger sliders on potato rolls, so he may have been in a good mood food wise. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Unfortunately we don’t have a Trader Joe’s here. Plus I can’t drive (neither can my Mom, who lives here too), & even if we had 1 & I (or Mom) could drive, I have physical medical issues which keep me confined (though I hate the severity of that word) here. I also can’t cook for myself, & my Mom stopped cooking when we moved here, as far as I know, & she eats the stuff provided in her end of the facility instead. And we don’t really seem to have anybody on staff whose function is to help residents with stuff like shopping if they can’t get out themselves (my Mom is in an independent living apartment, but it’s still hard to go anywhere since she usually has to wait until the facility is giving transportation wherever she wants/needs to go) I’m in more like a continuing hospital-type care situation in the same facility).

I did find out we’re supposed to have beef stroganoff over noodles for either our lunch or dinner special today. I’m gonna try to get an extra order of plain noodles with that if the noodles & sauce aren’t already mixed (we have a lot of “something over noodles” type entrees here & I’ve never had a problem getting the noodles just plain if I didn’t like what they were being served with) & ask for a lemon wedge on the side, although I don’t think there’s anything else on the menu that requires lemon (I drink Cherry Pepsi) & it might look weird (we do have a daily seafood special, which might help). I’ll let you know what happens.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments.
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Talk with the center's dietician and/or chef about adding buttered noodles w/ lemon (or just buttered noodles, & you do the lemon addition at your table). I have a feeling they're always interested in suggestions of nutritious + delicious dishes & this would be so easy to fulfill!

Unfortunately it’s kinda hard to just get them to add foods on request. They have meals planned 6 months ahead & the same meals rotate on a week-to-week basis (like there are something like 6 weeks worth of meals scheduled in that 6 months & they rotate for the scheduled 6 weeks throughout that 6 months). It’s the epitome of “Taco Tuesday”, but we’ve never actually had tacos since I’ve lived here—we do, however, get pretty good chimichangas, & grande tostadas every few weeks; the latter weren’t real good the last time I tried them, & we also had them all week on this week’s menus (which change tomorrow/on Mondays).

• Love 3
(edited)

@BW Manilowe Do you have a food delivery service available in your area? For special occasions you could have your preferred dinner brought in. I don’t know if you are able to, but for those dinners perhaps you could get taken over to your Moms. I’m wishing you the best on getting your noodle, butter and lemon fix. If I was in your area I’d bring it over to you. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
Forgot to proofread.
  • Love 5