Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

I guess you could say I'm having kind of a 'quickie southern' dinner (LOL!).  Jambalaya (but from a box, not scratch) with (shades of Sheldon Cooper!) little hot dogs cut up in it (instead of sausage) with a big bowl of Blue Bell Mardi Gras flavor ice cream for dessert. 

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 2

One of the most popular dishes at my office potlucks was Zatarains Jambalaya mix with Costco's jumbo cooked shrimp stirred in (2 lb bag of frozen tail-off shrimp per box of Zatarains).  Simplest thing in the world to prepare -- add water to rice mix, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stir in thawed shrimp, pack in microwaveable serving dish to reheat when ready to serve (remember to take a big beautiful serving spoon).  The office "vegetarians" were actually "pescatarians" who ate fish, so everyone could enjoy this and did.  I sometimes made it at home when we had company and served with cornbread, green salad, and a relish tray.  Now I'm hungry.... 

• Love 2

Last night I tried baked Greek chicken and Greek fries.  The marinade for the chicken was easy - yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest & juice, garlic, oregano, parsley...but it turned out a bit blander than I was hoping.  I saw some recipes using balsamic vinegar instead of yogurt, so I may try one of these next time.  The baked Greek fries turned out well and will be making future appearances at my dinner table.

I decided "Big Game Day" was the perfect excuse to snack on fresh tortilla chips, guac, and salsa. Got some champagne to wash it down. Not sure we'll get to anything else other than the chocolate chip mint ice cream I bought.

• Love 1
On 1/15/2019 at 11:28 PM, biakbiak said:

Peanut soup with collard greens and brown rice.

My grandpa made me a peanut butter soup the last time I visited him and oh my god! It was divine! Rich but divine! I wonder if it is the same as peanut soup?

Tonight my parents and brother are coming over for the annual anyone but The Patriots super bowl get together. I'm making wings, sausage balls and spinach artichoke dip. My mom is bringing Shrimp, taco dip, stuffed mushrooms and cocktail dogs. 

I made some brownies and picked up the most generic football cookie cake I could find and my in-laws brought over some girl scout cookies I know I won't eat so I'll lay those out as well. 

Go Rams!

• Love 3

Snack food this afternoon and thus no dinner tonight here, too: veggie crudité with a dill dip, shrimp cocktail, a salami/cheese/cracker selection, parmesan spinach balls, stuffed mushrooms, and chicken wings.  Go Rams!

I got my guacamole fix last night; I made chicken tacos, so made guac as one of the toppings.

Tomorrow night will be stuffed chicken breast as the main course; I defrosted one and forgot about it, so it needs to be used!  It's the perfect size for stuffing, so I'm going to stuff it with spinach, mushroom, and Swiss cheese.  I don't often know what I'm making this far in advance, but even if I'm in the mood for something different by the time tomorrow night rolls around, that's what I'm eating, because I don't know that it can wait another day.

Yesterday we were suppose to go to a big party @ my brother in law's, he's a big Rams fan. I made a huge devil's food fudge cake and other desserts but unfortunately had to cancel our plans and stay at home. So I made chips and guacamole & salsa and then picked up a carnitas party platter from our favorite restaurant for carnitas and celebrated at home.

We are a Patriots household. Hubby's been a Pats fan since he was a kid, but my husband loves football (he watches/records EVERY NFL game..Sunday is Church of Football) so we have season tickets for the local Rams & cheer for them... except when they play the Pats. 

WHOO HOOO!!!!!

The Patriots won and Ty Law got into the Hall of Fame! 

GO PATS!!!

21 hours ago, Mountainair said:

My grandpa made me a peanut butter soup the last time I visited him and oh my god! It was divine! Rich but divine! I wonder if it is the same as peanut soup?

Tonight my parents and brother are coming over for the annual anyone but The Patriots super bowl get together. I'm making wings, sausage balls and spinach artichoke dip. My mom is bringing Shrimp, taco dip, stuffed mushrooms and cocktail dogs. 

I made some brownies and picked up the most generic football cookie cake I could find and my in-laws brought over some girl scout cookies I know I won't eat so I'll lay those out as well. 

Go Rams!

We feel the same way about Dallas. We root for the Pats, the Rams (see exception above :-) )and whom ever is playing Dallas that weekend.

In our household we call the Superbowl "The Patriots Invitational"

GO PATRIOTS!!!

Edited to add: Hubby is such a football fan that if we lived in Dallas we would have season tickets there too and root for the visitors!

Edited by Giselle
6 Superbowl rings baby!
  • Love 1

Nothing is speaking to me tonight, so I'm going with simple: I have some chicken marinating in peanut oil, lime juice, garlic, and ginger, and will stir fry it with asparagus, mushroom, and snow peas.  The asparagus is really early, but it was grown in a greenhouse and looks good, so I figured, why not, let's see how it tastes.  If it's good, I'll make a lot of egg white scrambles this week and next, because I love asparagus with egg whites and sausage.

I'm making Thai Peanut Chicken for Valentine's Day dinner but using my new crockpot. So I prepped everything tonight and tomorrow, before going out. I'll pour it in the crockpot, turn it to low, and hope it turns out delicious (if not, we'll have to order pizza or Chinese food).  Anyone else staying home to avoid the crowds?  At least the weather here is ok so the restaurants should do very well.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm making Thai Peanut Chicken for Valentine's Day dinner but using my new crockpot. So I prepped everything tonight and tomorrow, before going out. I'll pour it in the crockpot, turn it to low, and hope it turns out delicious (if not, we'll have to order pizza or Chinese food).  Anyone else staying home to avoid the crowds?  At least the weather here is ok so the restaurants should do very well.

Definitely staying in. I'm planning on making shrimp zucchini tomato stir fry with garlic and thyme that is based on a WW recipe.

Tonight my husband had the rest of a cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole from last night. I had mint chocolate chip ice cream with whipped cream. Because earlier in the afternoon I saw an add for Caesar's pizza with a pretzel crust, which made remember I had soft pretzels in the freezer, and suddenly I had to have one.

37 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Anyone else staying home to avoid the crowds? 

Holy crap, yes.  It's a moot point since I stopped subjecting myself to the hassle of anything beyond casual relationships long ago, but even back when I was dating I wanted nothing to do with Valentine's Day crap - crowds, higher prices (often for a limited menu), and those annoying flower peddlers at the table.  All for a fake holiday.  Nope.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Last night we grabbed some to go food since I had various errands to run.  A local pizza place has a couple of stores and makes an amazing salad with artichoke, feta and chicken in it so I got that and chicken fettuccine for my daughter.  The same plaza has a couple of drive throughs and so I picked up Jack In the Box for my son.

I have two of the pizza shops near me and it is splitting hairs which one is closer.  But at one of them, I consistently get a much larger serving of the salad so I choose that one.  Since I eat it as a meal, I get 2 servings out of it.

Having a crappy day so my boyfriend went and got me a sandwich from this old school cafeteria place that I like. It’s basic as basic can be roast beef on a sourdough roll with only spicy mustard and au jus on the side.

• Love 1

The "I don't know, it's pretty damn early in the season" asparagus I tentatively tried a while back was indeed, delicious, and I've been buying more of it ever since.  Tonight I'm going with a much-loved combination of asparagus and lamb, broiling lamb chops - simply seasoned with minced garlic and rosemary - and roasting asparagus with the same ingredients.  I haven't decided what kind of side salad yet; maybe a warm spinach salad.

Last night I was turning leftovers from two previous meals into a new meal. I had couscous and I had turkey sausage. They were getting tossed together with some rosemary olive oil and Parmesan cheese. IMO, it needed some vegetable and I had broccoli in the crisper. 

In the interest of time I found a suggestion to cook it by cutting into florets, toss with olive oil. minced garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes and microwave for three minutes. 

Microwave broccoli came out really good!

Who knew?

I was watching The Big Family Cooking Showdown and they said they had to make chicken Kiev and than I realized that I was confusing chicken Cordon Bleu for Chicken Kiev, I then thought I have never made either and than thought long and hard and realized I don’t think I have ever eaten either. So checking the fridge I realized I had all the ingredients for at least a riff on chicken Cordon Bleu (provolone and Canadian bacon and chicken thinghs) is that with a Dijon cream sauce, arugula salad,and hasselback potatoes.

• Love 1

We didn't have time to go shopping last week and I still had produce from the last shopping trip so I made a super lazy meal to use up the remaining produce before it went bad yesterday -- red lentils cooked with red cabbage and black radishes. Black radishes are these weird scaly looking things that taste like a regular radish, but are way more tough and fibrous so they're nearly impossible to chew raw. Anyway I've only ever eaten cabbage and radishes raw or pickled, so I learned that hard way that cooking them completely kills any flavor and the radishes came out tasting more like parsnips. It was still good though because lentils are one of my favorite foods and I also put hot sauce on it. As time goes on I find myself getting more and more grossed out by processed food and especially how salty it is, and this was great compared to the processed crap I've been eating this week. Dessert was two dates and a mug of unsweetened coconut milk.

I bought ravioli (refrigerator, not frozen) from the grocery store last week and we're cooking that tonight.  I think I'm going to be boring and keep the sauce simple - tomato and some veggies.  Tomorrow?  Well, considering it's Pancake Tuesday, I'm making my annual savoury pancakes

(edited)

People are visiting so having a Cuban feast with a mojo pork roast, Cuban black beans, maduros, lime and cilantro rice and flan for dessert. 

Edited by biakbiak