Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

There’s too much basil growing so tonight will be pesto. 

I’ve got 21 containers of pesto in my freezer, and I could easily make 21 more. Why do I buy so much basil?!

Dinner was pasta with asparagus, bacon, and a light tarragon cream sauce.

I always have a ton of basil, yet I don't care for pesto, so this year I planted half as much as I normally do. (You would think I would have figured that out years ago, huh?) Can't wait for my tomatoes so I can make Barefoot Contessa's panzanella every day. 

• Love 1

@Bastet Here’s one of my favorite ways to use up zucchini. Sauté an onion and a green pepper in a large saucepan. Then add a ton (not literally but 6-8) zucchini’s and some fresh diced tomatoes (with liquid). Simmer for 45 minutes. It will begin to melt down.  Add approx 6 Oz of cheddar cheese grated and continue cooking until it melts in. Now you can serve this as a side or over pasta for a main. Just know that this works best with the cheddar. I’ve substituted Parmesan but the different flavor comes from the cheddar. Obviously add salt and pepper and any herbs that you like. 

• Love 1

One of my best friends is home from traveling for a month so homemade falafel on lavash with tzatziki and zhoug and a green bean, tomato, feta salad. Peach cobbler and bourbon ice cream for dessert.

• Love 1

Yesterday I realized I hadn't bought any of our local sweet corn, so got some at the local farm stand and we grilled it along with a marinated pork tenderloin last night. My goodness, the corn was so good. I know the corn at the stand has been picked if not the same day, at least the day before.

Tonight we're having grilled hamburgers on toasted pretzel buns.

I worked hard this week (in front of a computer and pushing book carts around), so I'm having a ribeye steak (cooked on my countertop electric grill), some mashed potatoes and a couple of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies for dessert.

• Love 3

Rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and Tomato & Avocado Salad (my new favorite salad for the summer or any time, I guess!)  I read in the Washington Post today that we've just passed the middle of summer--so we're on our way to autumn.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, and Tomato & Avocado Salad (my new favorite salad for the summer or any time, I guess!)  I read in the Washington Post today that we've just passed the middle of summer--so we're on our way to autumn.

Thank goodness. It’s been a hot one and I’m ready for more soups and roasts. 

• Love 1

And a really fine match for a lot of food. I could have gone with a fuller bodied white with the halibut, but the wine I chose was ideal. We were sitting outside; it was a perfect wine for the setting and meal. 

• Love 2

Went to my brother's last night for dinner.  He asked me to bring a side so I brought rice pilaf which went over well in a big way.  When I was asked for my recipe I admitted it was Rice-a-Roni that I add some additional long grain rice to in order to help mute the flavor (and diversify the salt).

• Love 1

I was in a cooking mood over the weekend, so I made skillet-fried chicken with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and bacon and onion braised green beans on Saturday, along with a lemon-lime pie (like key lime but with lemon and lime). On Sunday I made corn fritters from the Smitten Kitchen. Now I want to make the fritters with different herbs and cheeses (and maybe a little bit of bacon). 

Tonight is ground beef soft tacos. And more pie. 

• Love 3

I stayed at work late and then made a Wal Mart run, so dinner is an orange for an appetizer, a ham sandwich for first course, a pimiento cheese sandwich for the second course and maybe something later for dessert.  All accompanied by a huge glass of ice water.

(edited)

My grocery store started carrying some Hello Fresh meal kits. They gave me a $3 off coupon for one, so tonight it is meatloaf, carrots, and potatoes. We'll see how it is.

ETA: It was okay. And what was I thinking? - I'm having 25 people over for a pot luck lunch tomorrow. Should have gotten take out.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My grocery store started carrying some Hello Fresh meal kits. They gave me a $3 off coupon for one, so tonight it is meatloaf, carrots, and potatoes. We'll see how it is.

What chain is this?  I'm asking because I know Kroger  recently partnered with Home Chef, but I hadn't heard about Hello Fresh partnering with a grocery store.  I tried the introductory box a while ago and it was very good.

5 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

What chain is this?  I'm asking because I know Kroger  recently partnered with Home Chef, but I hadn't heard about Hello Fresh partnering with a grocery store.  I tried the introductory box a while ago and it was very good.

It's a local chain in the mid-Atlantic - Giant Food.

(edited)

It’s my boyfriends birthday but we have gone out drinking celebrating it and other friends birthdays for the past five days so it’s low key of his choice of faux shake shack burgers with homemade potato buns, oven fries and a chocolate pudding pie.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

It’s my boyfriends birthday but we have gone out drinking celebrating it and other friends birthdays for the past five days so it’s low key of his choice of faux shake shack burgers with homemade potato buns, oven fries and a chocolate pudding pie.

I love fake shack burgers! I would love that meal for my birthday.

Sweet Chili Chicken--a grilled chicken in a soy sauce/honey/ginger/honey yummy marinade, whipped potatoes, and a salad w/ homemade ranch dressing.  Eaten al fresco since the temp dropped to 84 and the humidity dropped as well.  I think the rain returns tomorrow???  Is there any place on Earth that's having a mild summer?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, annzeepark914 said:

Is there any place on Earth that's having a mild summer?

San Francisco! We haven’t even had our one week heatwave where everyone melts because no one has air conditioning. I think the highest has been mid-70s! This is not true for the rest of the Bay Area.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, Zola said:

Yes, they were Heinz baked beans - absolutely delicious with toast.

My two friends have now continued on with their journey of the UK, and will be returning to the US next Monday I think. However, I will see them again when I visit the States for 5 weeks in October - so I have asked them to cook me some traditional British recipes -  Roast beef and Yorkshire pudding dinner, toad-in-the-hole and Coronation Chicken! And I wonder if there are any fish & chip shops in Hartford, Connecticut?

There are a couple of places over here that sell things like pork pies, too. One is in Buffalo, NY. I wanted to check it when we were driving my sister to Canada, but we didn't have the time. 

I shouldn't be reading this thread when I'm hungry, and my computer is about to shut off. I haven't been here since December, that's a lot to read, so I just skipped to the end after this page. I had mashed potatoes for dinner, with the juices of a cooked chicken as gravy. It was good, but messed my stomach up a bit. Now I'm hungry again, and thinking about what I can eat. I fancy a refried bean burrito, but that might mess me up again. That was my go-to when I was starving, as a teenager, after I discovered salsa and chips,  burritos, and tacos. A lot of hot sauce, too. I love it. 

• Love 1

I grow a lot of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and onions - I guess I forget I live alone. So I made my first ratatouille dinner today. That'll be what's for dinner for a couple of months! Luckily I like to eat the same thing over and over.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

I grow a lot of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and onions - I guess I forget I live alone. So I made my first ratatouille dinner today. That'll be what's for dinner for a couple of months! Luckily I like to eat the same thing over and over.

I hosted a potluck lunch last Thursday with a Bastille Day theme, and 3 people brought ratatouille. It was like a ratatouille tasting. Lucky I love ratatouille.

• Love 2

@Zola My Harris Teeter carries the Heinz beans and I was so grateful to find them. I’ll eat beans on toast for dinner when I don’t feel like cooking. Yummy comfort food. I save all the cans for my neice who loves the labels. She uses them in her workshop to hold nails, screws etc. 

• Love 1

My favorite baked beans are B&M Baked Beans but only the ones that are in that little brown glass jar.  I can only find them at Harris Teeter supermarkets here in Northern Virginia. They're still made in Maine (I like that!) I now like to gussy them with a little Famous Dave's BBQ sauce & some sliced onions (so they end up tasting like Famous Dave's baked beans).

• Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 5:06 PM, Mindthinkr said:

@Zola My Harris Teeter carries the Heinz beans and I was so grateful to find them. I’ll eat beans on toast for dinner when I don’t feel like cooking. Yummy comfort food. I save all the cans for my neice who loves the labels. She uses them in her workshop to hold nails, screws etc. 

Glad you love Heinz baked beans on toast as much a I do. I like to get a little adventurous and add an egg or some cheese or top and sprinkle it with Worcester Sauce -  perfect comfort food, and not bad health-wise either.

Some people have suggest baked beans give you wind, but I have never had that problem; but all this talk of beans and toast has got my mouth watering, and it's only 1:47pm UK time. I was going to make myself a casserole for later tonight, but now I really can't be arsed, and will go Bohemian with BoT (beans on toast) instead. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Zola said:

I like to get a little adventurous and add an egg or some cheese or top and sprinkle it with Worcester Sauce - 

I will add Tabasco sometimes but I really enjoy it as it comes. Perfect comfort food. I will have it with eggs with but not on top...don’t know why. I’ll have to try it your way next time. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I left out a few words and wanted it to make sense.
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mindthinkr said:

I will add Tabasco sometimes but I really enjoy it as it comes. Perfect comfort food. I will eggs with it but not on top...don’t know why. I’ll have to try it your way next time. 

Ah..Tabasco!! Now there's an idea.

I do like a poached egg on my BoT from time to time ......gosh, I'm getting hungry.... Sod tonight: I'm having my BoT now!!!

(this is all your fault, @Mindthinkr :) )

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

Wish we could transport all this rain and soggy soil to the west coast.

Oh yes and help to put out those awful wildfires. 

I’m lucky. My bro and SIL are taking me out to dinner as it’s too hot and humid to cook. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Beef stew is now cooking in the Dutch oven as, once again, thunder is rumbling and rain is falling here in the Mid-Atlantic section of the country.  Wish we could transport all this rain and soggy soil to the west coast.

It's a good thing I don't know your address, because, if it wasn't for Beltway traffic, I'd be showing up on your doorstep many nights. :)

• Love 3