Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Bahn mi sandwiches made with char sui pork, pickled daikon/carrot and spicy mayo. Watermelon on the side because it’s wicked hot. I hate summer.

Earlier I tried a piece of the ginger bourbon peach pie I made yesterday. Not too shabby!

We went to our new favorite restaurant in Baltimore after the game, Marie Louise Bistro.  I had the house salad, then sauteed chicken breasts with artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes over couscous.  Then a lemon meringue tart for dessert.  All with a lovely rose from Provence.

Next game in 2 weeks.  Looking forward to dinner already!

34 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Thank goodness the food was good. The Orioles are terrible this year. Jeez. 

The less said about the team, the better.  Although, they did win today, so...yay

• Love 1

We were discussing how bad the Mets are when I decided to go look at the standings. That’s when I discovered the Orioles were really, really struggling. 

Tonight for dinner will be sandwiches and salads. Too hot for anything else. Even grilling something would involve me sweating. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:05 PM, Bastet said:

Tonight I made another easy chicken dish I inexplicably had not made in quite some time -- start chicken breasts baking, sauté mushrooms and onion, add chicken stock, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and thyme to the mushrooms and simmer for about five minutes, add a little butter at the end, then pour it over the chicken.

I did try it  using the balsamic vinegar and pouring the sauce over.....YUMMM!!!!!

Thanks Bastet!

• Love 1

Tonight is an easy stir fry.

I made well over 200 Thai pork sticks yesterday for our big 4th of July cookout and am now making my mama's baked beans. My other sister in law is cooking away too. and also bringing the burgers. 

I dearly love my mama's potato salad but for a change I'm also making a few batches of  this potato salad recipe for tomorrow. When we go to visit family in Arizona we have it at the restaurant and get the party tray size sometimes for cook outs. It's a loaded baked potato style salad.

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/good-day/morning-show/recipe-dillons-baked-potato-salad

I'm marinating chicken breasts in olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, crushed garlic, and rosemary for grilling later to serve with baked potato and steamed asparagus. I make the potatoes in my counter top oven so it doesn't heat up the kitchen.

Original plan was to go to our marina for fireworks tonight, and take Panera salads for dinner. When we realized we'd be spending all afternoon and evening below in the air-conditioning, we decided to skip it this year. The fireworks are good, but not worth this heat.

• Love 1

Tonight's supper will be Ina's herb marinated pork tenderloin on the grill + whipped potatoes + a Greek salad (sort-a). Enjoying this wonderful weather while it's here (I think the miserable stuff returns tomorrow).

Hmm... According to my special calendar, today is National Pecan Pie Day.  I could go for some Pecan Pie.  Looking forward, tomorrow is French Fry Day, Saturday is Mac and Cheese Day and Sunday is Ice Cream Day.  I'm going to weigh a thousand pounds by Monday if I play along with this stuff. 

• Love 4

Bastille Day is Saturday. In honour one of the local French restaurants are having specials. I’m in. Tonight will be a Salade  Lyonnaise (frisée lettuce, bacon lardons and a poached egg on top)  and Vichyssoise. That’s all I will have room for. I’ll probably do my own French inspired menu for Saturday. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That Ina recipe is my usual go to but I follow Padma on IG and she made it in her stories and it looked so good that I picked up all the ingredients at the Wednesday farmers market!

Edited by biakbiak

Grilling Tri-tip later today, beans are on the stove, making fresh salsa later, chopped salad and garlic bread to round it out.

Dessert is grilled poundcake with grilled figs & pomegranate molasses.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

[I hate the seedless watermelons in stores]),

What is it with the "seedless" watermelons?  I wish they'd go back to the watermelons with the big black seeds that you can easily find and get rid of. Today's "seedless" melons have tiny white seeds that really bug me.  Too many to try to pull out and I don't like eating them.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I wish they'd go back to the watermelons with the big black seeds that you can easily find and get rid of.

Those are the ones I buy, but other than one store, I cannot get them anywhere other than at the farmers market.  It's annoying.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am making ma pa tofu, spicy long beans nd rice.

For dessert something completely different. My bffs daughter just finished reading Anne of Green Gable so I made her some Raspberry cordial, the strained leftover raspberries were still delicious so I made a buttermilk raspberry cake! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3

I never use barbecue sauce, but I wanted to do something different with chicken breasts, so I made a bbq sauce that involved peanut butter powder.  I forgot to buy the chipotle in adobe sauce it called for (after running around to find the damned pb powder), so I MacGyvered that up with tomato paste, cider vinegar and chipotle powder.   

Damn, it's good. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

and cucumber onion salad.

I have been snacking on cucumber, tomato, and red onion salads with "Italian" dressing daily since the cucumbers and tomatoes started coming in; it's so refreshing in this hot weather.

• Love 1

I've been eating cucumbers most days as well (from my dad's garden).  I also have some summer (yellow) squash to eat up.  However, I had to work tonight until 9pm, so I just picked up a pepperoni Pizza! Pizza! during my dinner break.  I'll have the rest tomorrow either for breakfast or for lunch.

(edited)

I love summer squash.  I often make this recipe (with half the corn, as I don't like that much starch, and with fresh jalapeño rather than the canned chiles) with equal amounts of crook neck, gold bar, yellow pattypan, and green pattypan.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I have leftover hot Italian sausage to use so am making sausage rolls with everything bagel spice and a honey mustard dipping sauce. I also got a bunch of vegetables and lettuce at the farmers market so will make a huge salad with homemade buttermilk blue cheese dressing. For dessert mint chocolate chip ice cream I made the other day.

• Love 2

Yesterday for Bastille Day I made this simple French country recipe I learned in Nice. 

In a bit of safflower oil (I also used 1 Tbsp of Ghee for flavor) brown some seasoned (with salt and pepper) skinless chicken thighs.  (With the bone in yields a better flavor) Transfer to a plate. Add a shallot to the pan and 1 lb of sliced mushrooms. Add 1 tsp of thyme or 3-5 sprigs if fresh. Sauté until onion and mushrooms are slightly browned. Deglaze with some sauvignon Blanc. (Any wine you’re drinking will do) Add the chicken back to the pot and then add 1 c of beef stock. (If you don’t have stock I’ve seem it made with a sodium free bouillon cube in a cup of water). Simmer on low for 30-45 minutes until the chicken begins to come off the bone. Voilà. 

Tonight I'm having leftovers. 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Yesterday for Bastille Day I made this simple French country recipe I learned in Nice. 

My host mother when I studied abroad in a village near Aix en Provence made a very similar recipe so simple and delicious! I will definitely make it soon. What did you serve it with?

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My host mother when I studied abroad in a village near Aix en Provence made a very similar recipe so simple and delicious! I will definitely make it soon. What did you serve it with?

I made some mashed potatoes and thickened the sauce a bit with a roux so it was more like a gravy. Sometimes I’ll use wild rice and occasionally noodles. Those nest ones. 

Edited to add: I love green beans or asparagus as a side to this dish. A little crunch and fresh taste. I’ve considered adding celery or carrots to the recipe but then I remember why French country cooking is so good...they keep it simple. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

made some mashed potatoes and thickened the sauce a bit with a roux so it was more like a gravy. Sometimes I’ll use wild rice and occasionally noodles. Those nest ones

My host mother was half Italian so she would always do it with polenta. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

My host mother was half Italian so she would always do it with polenta. 

I love polenta and should try that! My food snob (this guy I eat dinner with most nights...sorta date) is going on a business trip to Europe and is bringing me back some polenta from Italy. Really he should be putting me in his suitcase! 

11 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

There’s too much basil growing so tonight will be pesto. 

Ha - yes, very common situation this time of year.  The tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash will soon follow suit.  By the end of August, if you want to donate zucchini to a local food pantry here, you need to call first and make sure they're not overloaded with it.

I started a tri-tip marinating last night, so tonight will be grilled tri-tip, crook neck squash cooked in a manner to be determined (maybe just toss that on the grill briefly), and a caprese salad.

• Love 1