Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Ok. I know it's not dinner but... I had potato salad and bacon on an English muffin with a smear of mustard for breakfast.  I was not expecting it to be as good as it was! I did have to take a fork and smash the potato cubes a bit so it would smoosh well but I would definitely have this again. Sorry to any purists. I didn't have any white bread and couldn't bring myself to buy a loaf to try this sandwich as the rest would have been wasted (I guess I could have dried it out and made bread crumbs but too lazy for the effort). 

Do any of you eat cream cheese and olive sandwiches? 

I've never tried cream cheese and olive sandwiches but remember when they were all the rage.  Maybe I'd like them because I love the Philadelphia brand Garden Vegetable cream cheese spread on crackers.

No idea what to make for supper--maybe just leftovers to clean out the refrigerator!  A little bit of this & a little bit of that.

• Love 1

Late joining the potato salad party - I don't make mine with mayonnaise, sometime I use my regular dressing (i.e. olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs), but mostly I use a yoghurt based dressing, with either red wine vinegar or lemon juice, and chopped garlic (kind of a tzatziki dressing, with potatoes instead of cucumber), and I serve it right after mixing it all up. 

13 minutes ago, NutMeg said:

Late joining the potato salad party - I don't make mine with mayonnaise, sometime I use my regular dressing (i.e. olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs), but mostly I use a yoghurt based dressing, with either red wine vinegar or lemon juice, and chopped garlic (kind of a tzatziki dressing, with potatoes instead of cucumber), and I serve it right after mixing it all up. 

That sounds good. Do you add garlic? I love tzatziki and thanks for the idea. I may give it a try. On the herbs...do you use mint? Or standard parsley. I'm intrigued. Oh gosh. I'm thinking myself hungry and just finished up the potato salad from yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That sounds good. Do you add garlic? I love tzatziki and thanks for the idea. I may give it a try. On the herbs...do you use mint? Or standard parsley. I'm intrigued. Oh gosh. I'm thinking myself hungry and just finished up the potato salad from yesterday. 

Of course garlic, as much as I can get away with, and for the herbs I go parsley rather than mint, but if the mood is right I could add a bit of other stuff, maybe a bit of cayenne pepper, or a very tiny amount of cumin. If it's just potatoes, I tend to keep it simple, but sometimes I feel like adding other vegetables to the mix and then the seasoning can change.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, JTMacc99 said:

I was thinking about heading over to one of the local farmers markets today and seeing if anyone had corn brought up from Jersey yet. Now I'm definitely going to do that. 

This confuses me a bit -- do vendors at your farmers' markets bring stuff in from elsewhere?  At the ones where I go, the vendors can only sell stuff they have grown, caught, raised, or made themselves. Just curious, because I didn't know that FMs were done any other way.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Do any of you eat cream cheese and olive sandwiches? 

I used to many, many years ago -- had to be green, pimento-stuffed olives, nothing else would do. These days the sodium content of such a sandwich would likely make me all puffy and cranky.

Potato salad input:  I married a potato salad purist - just potatoes, onion, chopped hard-boiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. German-style on occasion, but no celery, no paprika, no pickle juice (all things I've snuck in here and there over the years, and they did not go over well). 

Tonight's dinner is a big salad topped by grilled hanger steak and I think some bleu cheese.

Edited by harrie
  • Love 2
(edited)

We have a produce market near our house - the proprietors own the land it's on, built a modest wooden building, and mostly have produce brought in. I've been there when local farmers bring corn in. It's not a traditional farmers market with different vendors, we have some of those certain days of the week. But we also have permanent stands with just the owner bringing in food.

Dinner is left over Chinese take out.

Here's a picture of our market - the "ice cold ice" sign cracks me up.

penninsulafarms.jpg

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We have a produce market near our house - the proprietors own the land it's on, built a modest wooden building, and mostly have produce brought in. I've been there when local farmers bring corn in. It's not a traditional farmers market with different vendors, we have some of those certain days of the week. But we also have permanent stands with just the owner bringing in food.

Thanks, @chessiegal.  I don't think we have any setups like that around where I live, at least that I can think of. 

My potato salad 2 cents: potato, mayo, bacon, onion, parsley, mint, chopped gherkins, chopped boiled eggs

Hmm should make some again! 

Spring rolls and soup tonight! MrMellow learnt to roll spring rolls!!!!! IT'S A MIRACLE!!!!!!!! We did 100 together last night! He was so proud of himself the darling poppet! Took pics to send to his friends! 

• Love 4

@Mellowyellow That's wonderful! Hope his friends didn't tease him so that he'll get his hands back into the ring again, so to speak. I may take your cue and get my grandchildren to help next time they come over. I know you freeze them. How do you cook them and reheat them? (If I remember correctly you use rice wrappers and not the egg roll type that you have to deep fry). I hope y'all enjoyed the fruits of your labors. 

2 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

@Mellowyellow, 100 spring rolls? Hit a girl up! I'm not picky, I'll take the less than perfectly rolled ones.

Yes! 100! I hate making them but love eating them so every once in a while I just do a mass roll. 

@Mindthinkr I use the egg roll wrappers for fried spring rolls and rice paper for the fresh ones. The egg roll wrappers freeze well.

I freeze them in layers of 10, each layer seperated by greaseproof paper. Then when I need some I lift off a layer and thaw them out in the fridge and deep fry them. I've baked them in the air fryer too and they're not bad but deep fried is yummier!

Beef tataki, teriyaki chicken and miso soup tonight. With a strawberry cream sponge for dessert.

I baked 2 sponges and froze one last night. Love having a frozen sponge in the freezer. So handy and it's like a blank canvas for a yummy cake later. 

• Love 2

I made some pork tinga (minus the potatoes) in the slow cooker, so tonight I'm going to make soft tacos with it (topped with some queso fresco and avocado). 

I have a lot of tomatoes from my garden, so the salad will be a tomato salad with some scallions and avocado, with a lime-cilantro dressing.

• Love 2

I fancy some home-made chicken tikka masala tonight. I could order a takeaway from the local curry house, but that would far too fattening to be honest.

So have put together some skinless chicken thighs (taste better than breast imo), ginger, paprika, coriander, garlic, onion, red chilli, a mild curry powder, chopped tomatoes, chopped almonds, Garam Masala; a splash of coconut milk and zero-fat natural yogurt. And Basmati rice to go.

• Love 4

I'm kind of stumped for what to eat tomorrow.  I'll be working outdoors for about 12 hours and will probably get one meal break which will likely be a burger and chips. I need to nosh approximately every twenty minutes so I'm trying to think of some good stuff to bring that I will enjoy but that can sit in my bag without cooling or heating. I have granola bars and those cheese & cracker packs but I'd rather eat something I can look forward to.

I didn't know where to post this but...what are piquillo peppers?  Are they hot?  or mild?  I bought a jar of grilled piquillo peppers in water (it sez) because there's a recipe (somewhere!!) that called for them and if I can find that recipe I now have those required peppers ;>)

56 minutes ago, annzeepark914 said:

I didn't know where to post this but...what are piquillo peppers?  Are they hot?  or mild?  I bought a jar of grilled piquillo peppers in water (it sez) because there's a recipe (somewhere!!) that called for them and if I can find that recipe I now have those required peppers ;>)

Not hot at all; they're sweet peppers.

They're often stuffed with something, so that may be the type of recipe you're looking for.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'd go with some almonds or cashews and some Rainier cherries - ideal snack food in my world.

Omg words cannot describe how much I love Rainier cherries.

They aren't widely available here though. I only get my hands on pine batch per season. 

Just had some fried green tomatoes (bought 2 green tomatoes at Wegmans the other day).  They were good but I'm sure if I were a southerner I'd make them better!  Dinner tonight will be grilled brats and burgers, corn on the cob and good ol' potato salad ;>)

• Love 2

I made out like a bandit with a large pork shoulder roast for $1.49/lb. Last night we had it roasted in the Instant Pot with carrots and baby red potatoes. I have enough leftovers for 3 more dinners, so tonight we're going to have pork stroganoff with the rest of the carrots, some gravy, sour cream, and mushrooms. I've put the rest of the gravy and half the leftover meat in a freezer bag for another casserole and another freezer bag of meat for hot sandwiches. Plus, tomorrow we'll have the rest of the potatoes fried with onions and kielbasa. 

Granted there's only 2 of us since my grandson with ASD has food issues, but 5 meals out of 1 main meal is pretty good.

• Love 5
On 7/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Qoass said:

I have those. Not really excited about plain almonds but maybe if I threw in some dark chocolate chips?

If it's warm, the chips will melt. If you want chocolate, go with M&Ms (They melt in your mouth, not in your hands!)

I like almonds with dried cranberries.

• Love 1

We're headed to a concert in the park to see LedZep, a cover band. For the picnic it's Costco roasted chicken. red cabbage slaw, french bread. Strawberry shortcake for dessert. Cheese, fresh cherries and pecans for snack. Ginger, mint and lime water to drink.

• Love 5

I went to the local farmers market today & picked up fresh corn, flat beans, & garlic scapes. The corn will be steamed.  The beans will be blanched & then saluted with the garlic scapes.  I was able to get some nice flounder fillets from my grocery store.  I think I will bake them with a little lemon/parsley compound butter.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Giselle said:

We're headed to a concert in the park to see LedZep, a cover band. For the picnic it's Costco roasted chicken. red cabbage slaw, french bread. Strawberry shortcake for dessert. Cheese, fresh cherries and pecans for snack. Ginger, mint and lime water to drink.

Everything you said sounds great. Those chickens are so versatile and appetizing. Hope y'all have perfect weather and good acoustics. 

6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Everything you said sounds great. Those chickens are so versatile and appetizing. Hope y'all have perfect weather and good acoustics. 

Supper was delish, We're sitting here in "sunny so Cal"waiting for the band to come on stage. It's overcast and the breeze coming off the ocean is cold. Glad we brought jackets and blankets.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Did you have all those spices on hand or did you have to get cardamom pods, for instance? 

I cook a lot of Indian food and make a lot of chai so I always have cardamom pods on hand (I live within three blocks of an Indian market, a Vietnamese market, and a Middle Eastern market so a lot of ingredients people sometimes have difficulty locating are a quick walk away). I had everything needed for this recipe on hand which also made it easy to throw together.

• Love 2

Lucky you!! Tho I'm jealous that I only have one "Asian" market a half hours drive but I do order stuff online with caution. I like to see and smell before committing too much. I love Indian food and have a few recipes that I make but I rely on a Drs wife, who travels to India annually, and brings me back goodies. Lol...I need to travel more. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I cook a lot of Indian food and make a lot of chai so I always have cardamom pods on hand (I live within three blocks of an Indian market, a Vietnamese market, and a Middle Eastern market so a lot of ingredients people sometimes have difficulty locating are a quick walk away). I had everything needed for this recipe on hand which also made it easy to throw together.

Where do you live, Artesia? On Pioneer Blvd you've got all three cultures in about a 4 block stretch. 

I've been on the lookout for a good chai recipe. Would you mind sharing one?

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Edited by Giselle
5 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Where do you live, Artesia?

San Francisco.

I don't actually have a written down recipe for chai. I just add a combo of whole spices  (cardamon, black pepper, fresh ginger, cinnamon always, sometimes I add star anise and/or cloves) smashed and simmered in water for around 10 minutes then add some milk and loose leaf black tea simmer for a minute or two take off heat and steep for 2ish minites and pour through a fine mesh strainer add honey, agave, golden syrup, sugar or maple syrup to individual tastes. My ratio is equal parts milk to water but the spice mixture depends on what I am currently feeling.

@biakbiak, I printed that recipe for future reference.  Got the drumsticks but not thighs and I've already done my weekly shop. Please let us know how it comes out. And whether frying the almonds is absolutely necessary. I usually opt to roast nuts.

I picked up mostly veggies at the market this morning so I'm looking forward to bruschetta, black eyed pea salad and a green apple and gorganzola tart for weekend suppers.

• Love 1

Being a Friday, it's usually quite traditional here in England to have Cod fillet and chips (fries), from the local Fish & Chip shop.

And that's exactly what I am going to be doing in the next 30 minutes.

Simple pleasures :)

• Love 8
(edited)

Poached eggs on toast. I bought some cups for poaching eggs and they worked really well. I overcooked them a little but they came out of the cups with no problem. I can't get the hang of poaching right in the water - it looks easy enough, but I wreck the eggs every single time. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
Overlooked and overcooked are different things
  • Love 5
On 7/13/2017 at 10:48 PM, biakbiak said:

San Francisco.

I don't actually have a written down recipe for chai. I just add a combo of whole spices  (cardamon, black pepper, fresh ginger, cinnamon always, sometimes I add star anise and/or cloves) smashed and simmered in water for around 10 minutes then add some milk and loose leaf black tea simmer for a minute or two take off heat and steep for 2ish minites and pour through a fine mesh strainer add honey, agave, golden syrup, sugar or maple syrup to individual tastes. My ratio is equal parts milk to water but the spice mixture depends on what I am currently feeling.

Thanks. I love chai and can drink it with just the tea, just with milk and with or without sweeter. It's just one of those things I've never tried to do on my own. I'll buy a bag of what ever and enjoy. 

I love San Francisco. I went for the first time 4 years ago and fell in love with it.

• Love 2