Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Last night was chicken brats with carmelized onions/peppers, oven roasted potatoes, garlic sauteed snap peas, and a kale and black bean salad. 

Tonight is home made chicken soup and more kale salad. 

• Love 2

Last night was spaghetti and chicken basil sausage (from Sprouts).  Underwhelmed by the sausage - a bit dry and underseasoned for me, so I'll be sticking with Trader Joe's chicken sausage in the future.

This summer I helped my nephew make sauce and he told me to put a splash of red wine in it before you let it simmer for a bit.  I've been doing this since - it adds a nice je n'ais sais quoi to the sauce.

• Love 3

I went to my favorite local Italian restaurant last night (and then on to a play), and had whole wheat penne with pesto, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and shrimp.  The leftovers are already calling my name for lunch (I'm home today), but I'm going to another Italian restaurant tonight, so I think maybe a nice salad instead.

• Love 2

This summer I helped my nephew make sauce and he told me to put a splash of red wine in it before you let it simmer for a bit.  I've been doing this since - it adds a nice je n'ais sais quoi to the sauce.

There's just something about a little wine (I use a dry white) in the sauce that adds something.  Also good when saute-ing mushrooms.

• Love 1

Crackers, salami, and random cheese from Trader Joe's. It's been a long week and I didn't feel like cooking or eating. Tomorrow is The Great Garage Cleanout 2015 so it's sandwiches for lunch and either pizza or Thai delivery for dinner, depending on how much work we actually get finished.

• Love 3

Tomorrow is The Great Garage Cleanout 2015 so it's sandwiches for lunch and either pizza or Thai delivery for dinner, depending on how much work we actually get finished.

Is one of these choices a reward for getting more work done ;)?

• Love 1

Crackers, salami, and random cheese from Trader Joe's. It's been a long week and I didn't feel like cooking or eating. Tomorrow is The Great Garage Cleanout 2015 so it's sandwiches for lunch and either pizza or Thai delivery for dinner, depending on how much work we actually get finished.

I'm jealous of people who have more than pizza as delivery options.

I pretty much turn green with envy anytime I see Manhahttan living.

We have a service called something like dinner delivered where they will go to various places, but by the time you add in fees it seems ridiculous. So my options are the big 3 pizza chains if I want delivery.

At Costo in refrigeration aisle I bought sliced beef seasoned only with salt and pepper. It's already cooked mid-rare so I can bring it to room temp or throw in skillet (I like former). I will have it with horseradish on side and tomatoes in red wine vinaigrette dressing I'll make in blender (Ina's)

• Love 2

I can get just about anything delivered in my neighborhood.  There used to only be one Mexican restaurant in the immediate area, and they didn't deliver (their food is terrible anyway, so no loss), but a few years ago a great Mexican restaurant opened up that is within walking distance and offers delivery.  They close early, but it's a start.  At least for Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc. there are many delivery options. 

In my friend's neighborhood, less than 10 miles away, pretty much all but one restaurant stop delivering after 9:30 or 10:00, even on weekends.  Most of the restaurants here will take delivery orders until just before 10 during the week and just before 11 or midnight on weekends.  The Japanese place will deliver until 2:00 a.m. 

So I guess I'm spoiled.

• Love 5

Well, we didn't get pizza or Thai! We worked through lunch so had huge roast beef sandwiches with roasted onions around 3:30. Dinner ended up being cheese and crackers. I still want Thai as a reward.

Tonight's dinner is kielbasa, shredded brussel sprouts, and pierogi.

• Love 3

I sure wish we had a good selection of delivered food but everything tastes blah (Chinese, mixed Asian, very meh Italian, awful pizza).  There was one Chinese that was outstanding but they went out of business too quickly.

Tonight's dinner was pork tenderloin with my own marinade of lemon juice, Turkish seasoning, garlic powder, pepper and olive oil.  It's the tenderloin that I buy at Trader Joe's and boy is it tender!  I don't know where they get their tenderloin but it's better than any sold at the supermarkets around my area.  And Spanish Roasted Potato Salad (made with Yukon potatoes and served with my own aioli) and a tossed salad.  Yum.  Thanks again Marge - that potato "salad" is so good. I let the slices get crispy.

• Love 2

Same, there are some places with good take out (downtown where I work),  but nobody truly local, and only pizza for delivery.

Dinner tonight was pre-marinated pork loin form Costco, saffron risotto, snap peas, and a great twist on tabouhleh with fresh chopped fennel. 

• Love 2

I just got back from the IlluxCon convention in Allentown and am completely exhausted. The convention went great, we met up with a lot of fellow artists and sold some paintings and prints, but doing conventions is very tiring.    I thought I would have to do grocery shopping today to get something for lunch and dinner, but I looked in the freezer and was happy to discover that past ALenore had put away enough food for both lunch today, and dinner and lunch tomorrow.  (Spinach ricotta dumpling and Bistro Chicken).  The convention was a lot of fun, but I've got to help unpack painting and prints and clean up the junk left over from getting ready to leave.  Plus I've got to do regular things like laundry, pay bills, etc.   I'm looking forward to cooking tomorrow, but don't quite have the energy yet.  

• Love 1

Same, there are some places with good take out (downtown where I work), but nobody truly local, and only pizza for delivery.

Dinner tonight was pre-marinated pork loin form Costco, saffron risotto, snap peas, and a great twist on tabouhleh with fresh chopped fennel.

Blixie- could you say which pork loin you got? And was it good?

My mom made a pork chop casserole growing up and the pork was so dry it's all but turned me off of pork. I'm focusing more on protein as of late and would welcome variety.

I don't have a Traders Joe here, but am a Costco and Sam's member. But if I could figure a not dry way to do pork that would be wonderful. And I could give my parents excess leftovers since it's just me.

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2

I cook pork tenderloin all the time, and the way you get it to not come out dry is to not overcook it.  When I was growing up, pork chops had to be cooked to death for fear of trichinosis, but nowadays it's okay for the pork to be slightly pink in the center.   What I often do is quickly brown the tenderloin on all sides in a skillet, then put it in the oven on high heat (425 degrees) for `12-15 minutes.  Here's one recipe I've made and enjoyed http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/roasted-pork-tenderloin-maple-apples.

• Love 5

ALenore, that looks really good - thanks for sharing it.  We just did a pork tenderloin over the weekend; it must be that time of year.  Marinated very simply in oil, lemon juice and some fresh rosemary, then roasted.  Served with butternut squash brushed with maple syrup.  

As someone who eats most meats rare but tends to overcook meats - perhaps I've heard Gordon Ramsey scream "It's raaaawww - you could have killed somebody" about chicken once too often - I find an instant-read meat thermometer is my best friend.  It tells me for sure that whatever I'm cooking is done enough so I don't overdo it to be safe. It will always survive the dreaded gadget drawer purge.   

Edited by harrie
  • Love 4

I had gnocchi with a chicken-lemon-rosemary sauce. Along with that I had roasted asparagus (on sale this week.)

Tonight I'm trying ravioli with asparagus and toasted walnuts.

This week is World Series week, so I cooked several individual components (chicken, roasted asparagus, cauliflower and red peppers.) That way I can quickly mix and match ingredients to create a quick meal. We're holding off on the KC BBQ until the Royals have a few victories under their belt!

• Love 2

This week is World Series week, so I cooked several individual components (chicken, roasted asparagus, cauliflower and red peppers.) That way I can quickly mix and match ingredients to create a quick meal. We're holding off on the KC BBQ until the Royals have a few victories under their belt!

I'm a Nats fan but being a native New Yorker, I gotta go with the NY Metropolitans.  Go Mets!  Am at a loss, though, as to what to serve after a few victories (Sabrett's hog dogs?  But, but...they're dangerous!  Plus, they're from The Bronx, home of the you-know-whats)

Wow, ALenore: I like that recipe of pork with apples.  Copied the recipe and will make it next week when I get another TJ's pork tenderloin.

Last night I made Kima, an Indian dish made of ground lean beef, onions, potatoes, tomatoes, and a few peas with curry and a few other seasonings, served with raita.

• Love 3

6th Birthday party was a success! The dragon cake turned out super cute! The train ride was awesome! As per usual I made waaaaaaay too much food so we will be eating leftover tacos for the rest of the week :) 

Tomorrow we find out if this baby is another boy (to add to the two we already have) or our first girl. I'm anticipating a boy that way I can be pleasantly surprised if they tell me it's a girl!

• Love 4

could you say which pork loin you got? And was it good?

I can not I did the eating, not the cooking, or shopping. They are amazingly tasty though, and as with all heavily processed foods I'd guess it's crazy high in sodium. 

I made myself a roasted spaghetti squash and followed a recipe that sauteed it with mushrooms, and onions/garlic, and sage. UGH the sage was awful it called for way too much, I think you need a much much sturdier heartily flavored base for sage (like stuffing/bread). I had to thrown most of it out. Ick.

Edited by blixie

I can not I did the eating, not the cooking, or shopping. They are amazingly tasty though, and as with all heavily processed foods I'd guess it's crazy high in sodium. 

I made myself a roasted spaghetti squash and followed a recipe that sauteed it with mushrooms, and onions/garlic, and sage. UGH the sage was awful it called for way too much, I think you need a much much sturdier heartily flavored base for sage (like stuffing/bread). I had to thrown most of it out. Ick.

Oh, that's too bad.  A little sage does go a long way.  

Today was a baked penne with pesto.  I told my neighbor to help herself to my basil over the summer, which she did.  (For me, it's most useful for luring bees around my stuff that need pollinating.)  She brought over some pesto she made, and it was excellent.  She used walnuts, which made it much more palatable than the pine nuts to which I am accustomed, and I foraged through our very, very tired tomatoes for usable stuff.  Will definitely make this next summer when fresh ingredients are once more handy.  

• Love 1

I made salmon with lentils, and roasted cauliflower.    It was really good, and very easy to make, just toss cauliflower florets with olive oil, and roast in the oven  at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. I'll definitely make it again.  The only cauliflower I had when I was growing up was boiled and tasted very bland an mushy, this tasted very good.   

• Love 2

My Australian best friend has been visiting me in Tucson, and today we decided to take a day off from touristy things and hang out and bake something. Which turned into baking six separate desserts and then making Peachy Chicken for dinner for my family. My fridge and freezer are now full of cranberry white chocolate oatmeal cookies, chai spiced cinnamon chip blondies, two kinds of pudding, and two cakes.

• Love 5

Dinner last night for me was rice soup (a very plain congee).  My stomach has been unhappy due to some new meds so eating is much more challenging than it should be.  On the plus side though, I love rice soup and can eat it every day without getting tired of it.

For the kids, I made chicken tacos with some leftover baked chicken.  I just cut it off the bone, got rid of the skin and diced it into smaller pieces than added some enchilada sauce.  Rounded that out with some rice pilaf.

My nephew came over after a long ass day so he had tacos, pilaf and cup of coffee and fixed him the leftovers to go since the rest of the week sounds hectic already.  He's looking for a new job, so sending out resumes, doing interviews, working at current job, etc...

• Love 2

My Australian best friend has been visiting me in Tucson, and today we decided to take a day off from touristy things and hang out and bake something. Which turned into baking six separate desserts and then making Peachy Chicken for dinner for my family. My fridge and freezer are now full of cranberry white chocolate oatmeal cookies, chai spiced cinnamon chip blondies, two kinds of pudding, and two cakes.

Tabbyclaw, what time did you want me to drop by tomorrow for tea? I seem to have misplaced my invitation.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2

Tried my first Blue Apron box, and I wasn't knocked out, It was less than the sum of it's parts: a ramen bowl composed of fresh ramen (good), asian spiced pork meatballs (also good), sweet dumpling squash (good), asian pear (good), but the white miso-soy-ginger broth made the dish have too many "sweet" notes I think, not enough umami. And it doesn't feel like the convenience is significant enough to be worth it on a weekly basis  having to unpackage each component, AND prep them doesn't seem that convenient to me. This particular dish had a lot of moving parts, and a lot of dirty dishes. The quality of ingredients is great though.

Maybe the chicken tandoori dish will be better. 

Edited by blixie
  • Love 2

I made the pork tenderloin with apple dish last night, I cooked just one pork tenderloin, but all the apples that the recipe called for, it came out really good.  I made parmesan-buttermilk mashed potatoes and spinach on the side.  

I'm making Butternut Squash Strata with Gruyere tonight, to use up some butternut squash that I had the other week and froze.   It actually works out well, since I've got a sore throat and this will be nice and gentle going down.   I do have to go now and make the bread that goes into it. The recipe calls for whole wheat sourdough bread, but I'm making my usual Five Minute Artisan Bread instead.   

• Love 2

Our next few meals I'm going to try and make Halloween themed. Tonight will be Mummy Calzones. A nice cheesy inside with pizza dough cut into strips and wrapped around it to look like a mummy. To complete the look two meatballs with sliced olives will serve as eyes. 

And because the baby inside of me really likes brownies I'm going to make a batch of brownies with a topping of Sweetened Condensed Milk and chocolate chips spread over the top. 

• Love 2

Yesterday I took the hub out for a good Chinese meal out - I was supposed to make Mongolian Beef with Ramen Noodles, but for the life of me couldn't find the flank steak.  We may have eaten it.    Today was chard (the last of our own) and mushroom omelets with bacon on the side.  (Yes, I heard the bacon news, but we're all gonna die anyway, and my bacon is locally made with no nitrates, etc. so at least I'll die self-righteously!) 

• Love 1

Meal #2 from Blue Apron, Chicken Tandoori w/raita, was indeed much better, but I still think I prefer seeking out my own recipes even if having all the ingredients right there w/o having to shop is nice, it's not worth the overall expense for my household. I also think both meals were pretty high calorie (700 and 500+ respectively) I'd prefer to be able to decide I want chicken thighs w/o skin, and lite coconut milk.

• Love 3

I made chicken rice soup tonight (never had it with rice before and it was good).  Since I was eating so healthy, I decided to dig into a bag next to the candy bowl and I found some miniature Hershey's chocolate bars.  The kids won't miss 'em.

• Love 2

I made chicken rice soup tonight (never had it with rice before and it was good). Since I was eating so healthy, I decided to dig into a bag next to the candy bowl and I found some miniature Hershey's chocolate bars. The kids won't miss 'em.

It was the logical next step. I support decisions like this.

• Love 3

I'm making pot roast.  I don't know why.  I got a late start, and was trying to rush getting it in the oven, but then I remembered what ATK taught me about proper searing, so I took the time to do that right.  I'm sure I will appreciate it a couple of hours from now.

ETA the mom of a trick-or-treater just told me my house smells good, so there is that.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 6

Live in a condo, so no trick or treaters.  Did buy a small bag of candy to share with my husband (and because I want my KitKat). As for dinner, we ordered tacos, chips and guacamole (this place has THE BEST chips - thick cut and crispy.  You can tell they make it in house) as well as rice/beans and corn on the cob.  It's a Netflix night for us.

• Love 2

Live in a condo, so no trick or treaters.  Did buy a small bag of candy to share with my husband (and because I want my KitKat). As for dinner, we ordered tacos, chips and guacamole (this place has THE BEST chips - thick cut and crispy.  You can tell they make it in house) as well as rice/beans and corn on the cob.  It's a Netflix night for us.

That sounds perfect to me. Enjoy!

• Love 1

In-house chips are so the bomb! There is a market that sells the thick, crispy but light ones that are just addictive. Then there is a restaurant (thankfully not in my city) where they make fresh potato chips. OMG!!!

BTW, if anyone is interested there is What's for Dinner group on Facebook. It is small but the the meals are awesome.

• Love 1
What is your favorite Halloween candy? You know, the stuff you pretty much only eat this time of year. Mine's a tie -- Smarties and Dum Dums (favorite flavor: Cream Soda).

I eat a few Reese' s PB cups for Halloween, Christmas (tree-shaped) and Easter (egg-shaped).  I try to stay away from them the rest of the year (usually).   For any 'regular' cravings, I like York Peppermint Patties.

Did you know this about Dum Dums?  I didn't:    http://mentalfloss.com/article/30823/what-mystery-flavor-dum-dums

• Love 1

I love Mental Floss - it is my favorite magazine and probably the website that I go to everyday.

I put out Reeses and Kitkats - a favorite of each child so if there are leftovers (there are), I have happy campers.  Plus, snack size bags of chips for those who don't care for chocolate.  My nephew doesn't like chocolate so Halloween was always less fun for him than his sisters.

• Love 1

Smarties are my fave candy. I've been enjoying Snickers bars lately as a quick breakfast. I swear I don't have a sweet tooth except for when I'm pregnant! Ugh- this baby weight is going to be a nightmare to get off when the time comes! 

I've got a huge boston butt in the crock pot to make BBQ sandwiches for dinner. I'll make some slaw and smashed red potatoes to go with! 

• Love 2