Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: All Star Variety Extravaganza

• Start Topic

The queens of All Stars 6 are back to compete for a spot in the Drag Race Hall of Fame. To kick off the competition, the dolls showcase their best talents on the main stage. The iconic Miss Piggy pops by to prove that reading IS fundamental.

Promo:

Original air date: 6/24/21

(edited)

Anyone that's interested the whole episode is on the Paramount Plus YouTube channel. I'm watching right now. Or at least it says it's the episode 1 hr and 2 min long

Edited by CailynA
Fixing a word
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

Lot of queens …. 

Might be too many except that I do know all of them unlike in a regular season.

The variety show was overall good, I agree with the bottom two but I'm actually disappointed in who went home.

They're all gorgeous as queens but damn Kylie and Jiggly are beautiful women out of drag. 

Surprisingly after her initial talking head Silky didn't get on my nerves at all, don't expect that to last.

• Love 1

Many of the queens who sang and danced blurred together for me. They reminded me of Bianca Del Rio’s joke about every queen making a song for iTunes. In contrast, I was touched by Eureka’s tribute to her mom and thought she looked stunning. I was surprised when she didn’t make the top.  I also appreciated those that showed some creativity beyond singing, like Raja and Scarlett. And finally, I liked those that showed a bit of humor, like Pandora, Ginger, and Yara Sofia. Still, at least half this cast would stand no chance against the cast of All Stars 2. Now that was a talent show! 

• Love 2

Wasn't going to subscribe but then saw a cheap 2 month subscription on amazon Prime day to Paramount channel.  Will stop the sub after the show.  I thought they all looked great on their entrances...well, Pandora was a bit different but my money is on her to win.

(edited)

Yara Sofia is insane.  I also got my life when she started slinging her boobs around.  However, that wasn't going to work on a) A Bruno Mars song or b) Lip Sync Assassin Coco Montrese!  I was all, "Yara ain't getting no money today!" and cackled.

Bye Serena!  I'll bet Akeria got all the girls together to get back at Serena for that jacked up wig that was sold to her. Heh.

I have no idea who I am rooting for and I don't dislike any Queen yet.  That's new for me!

So the game begins! On to Episode 2.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 2

That was a good start.  I feel like rooting for several different queens, and there seem to be some real changes in personality and attitude.  It will be interesting to see if those pan out.

I didn't find a lot to differentiate the various club songs.  Alexis' routine was just a little too silly and crude for me to love it.  Scarlet's bubble burlesque number might actually have been my favorite.

Do I have a tin ear or did the chords Silky was playing have little relationship to what she was singing?  I thought both elements were very average and I would gladly have swapped her out for Serena in the bottom.

3 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I was touched by Eureka’s tribute to her mom and thought she looked stunning.

Thanks for this.  I hadn't heard her mother passed away and couldn't make out the subject of the last projector shot.  If she mentioned it in the workroom, I missed it.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Do I have a tin ear or did the chords Silky was playing have little relationship to what she was singing?  

Your ear is fine. :)

I never liked Silky before, but I was rooting for her in that performance because I can't recall a genuine gospel performance on RPDR. Sadly, Silky's lacked luster.

• Love 5

Did anyone else notice that they slightly changed the lyrics in the intro song from "may the best woman win" to "may the best drag queen win"?  Was this a recent change?  Don't know why but it stuck out to me.

Oh Trinity.  You're a lip sync assassin!  Why did you choose to do comedy for the talent show?  That being said, I'm really glad she was saved.

• Love 3

I noticed the change in lyrics on the last regular season (where Gotmik's transgender status was widely discussed)...I wonder if the continued inclusion of more transgender people on the show made the decision to change the lyrics?  

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

I noticed the change in lyrics on the last regular season (where Gotmik's transgender status was widely discussed)...I wonder if the continued inclusion of more transgender people on the show made the decision to change the lyrics?  

Indeed. One might even argue that there are only two women competing: Jiggly and Kylie!

I believe the lyrics did change along with Ru's tagline to "may the best drag queen win!" at the start of season 13. I think it's definitely a direct answer to the charges laid against the show for not being inclusive, and I love it. That's the kind of fix that's so simple and yet so meaningful.

• Love 3
(edited)

Entrances:

As we saw in Pose, Jiggly has gotten a glow-up, and good for her.

I want those lavender overalls Jan is wearing in her confessional clips! She also looks great in her entrance look, but honestly I don’t recognize most of the recent-season not-too-memorable queens until the name comes up on the screen.

Ginger wore a cheap, ugly knockoff of the dated club kid look that got Vivacious sent home many seasons ago, and I still don’t get why she was the AS2 queen chosen to come back.

I gasped when Yara came out in her golden anubis mask, and then squealed when she took off the mask! Can’t believe it’s really her, and she looks as amazing as ever.

Ugh, please no; and didn’t silly already wear that in her original season...ugh.

Nice to see Pandora back...

OMFG Scarlet Envy’s outfit is out of this world gorgeous! So glad to see her again.

Serena’s comeback look didn’t excite me, I hope she brought something better.

I’m so glad Sonique gets another moment to shine and that we have to trans sisters on all stars this year.

Trinity is an interesting addition, but her look is not. 

Eureka’s look is good, but I’m not happy to see her.

I wish we got to see some of the queens do more then five seconds of reads, because some of them were really good.

The queens who chose NOT to do a little ‘read you wrote you’ esque track and dance to it stood out...Rajah’s gimmick paid off okay, but Trinity’s did not—the stage lights were all she had going for her and that was done by the technician, so… I loved Scarlet’s bubble show. Eureka has a lot of money to spend on drag. Oh wow, Ginger sang about food, and Serena about...wigs. I had to look away from Yara’s performance, too graphic for me.

I forgot about the lipsync assassin thing; and kind of wish they had thought up something else this year. Especailly since they still can’t make it personal—Alexis or Raja would have been amazing choices…

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

I'd rather see the bottom contestant face off against the winner, or a random lip sync assassin. 

I think this was probably the least entertaining variety show, but it wasn't as horrible as I anticipated when it came to judging so overall not bad. 

I wish Yara were showcased on VH1, mostly to see if they would have allowed that talent performance, but also because I think she deserves to be more famous. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't have Paramount Plus, watched the premiere on You Tube but I may signup for the PPlus trial.

Coco Montrese should be an All Star, not a couple queens that actually ARE on this season's AS. 

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 1